✟195,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Idaho Doctors can Refer Patients for Out-Of-State Abortions, Judge Rules

On Monday, a US federal judge blocked the Idaho Attorney General's Office from prosecuting doctors for referring patients to receive out of state abortions, claiming that doing so would violate medical providers’ right to free speech. In a letter to a conservative state lawmaker in March, Labrador [had] argued that referring a patient to abortion services across state lines would constitute assisting in an abortion, thus requiring the suspension of the health professional's license.

US District Court Judge B. Lynn Winmill found that Republican AG Raúl Labrador went too far in his interpretation of Idaho's criminal abortion law and banned him from enforcing it until a legal challenge to the law is settled in court.

Republicans seem to oppose freedom of speech when they don't like what is being said.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The solution is clear, disallow women from leaving the state without a negative pregnancy test.

Pretty easy to get a negative test on the black market. Transvaginal ultrasound checkpoints at the borders may be the solution.

Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The solution is clear, disallow women from leaving the state without a negative pregnancy test.
It's a good thing the "show your QR code that proves you're negative for something in order to be able to travel" never got a strong foothold when people were pushing for it in 2020-2022.

Sounds like a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I'm serious about that.

Had certain people on the left gotten their way during covid, they would've shot themselves in the foot regarding this issue by way of state lawmakers getting their hands on personal medical data.

• Informative
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,096.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It's a good thing the "show your QR code that proves you're negative for something in order to be able to travel" never got a strong foothold when people were pushing for it in 2020-2022.

Sounds like a tongue-in-cheek comment, but I'm serious about that.

Had certain people on the left gotten their way during covid, they would've shot themselves in the foot regarding this issue by way of state lawmakers getting their hands on personal medical data.
Last time I checked, being pregnant wasn't highly contagious and didn't kill over a million people recently.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Last time I checked, being pregnant wasn't highly contagious and didn't kill over a million people recently.
Either partisan government actors have access to your personal medical situation for usage as they see fit or they don't...we don't get to select based on the minutia of what what 1 out of 300,000,000 people thinks is important.

You pick....

My choice is that they don't.

If California has legal abortion and a bordering state doesn't, a person should be able to to travel there to get one without consequence.

I'm glad the whole "covid passport" thing didn't take off, it would've been the precursor to conservative states blocking women from traveling to an abortion friendly state, and would've been used from blocking people with prior marijuana charges from traveling to states that offered recreational "herb".

Freedom is a two way street...every once in a while, people are going to to do things with it that I may not approve of...I'm willing to accept that.

As soon as we start suggesting that "the externalities I see as more damaging are more important than the ones you see as damaging", the system breaks down.

For people who feel abortion is murder, they see it as abortion killing 500k humans per year over the past decade, do you want their definition of "killing people" used to define what kind of rights you have for traveling?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad the whole "covid passport" thing didn't take off, it would've been the precursor to conservative states blocking women from traveling to an abortion friendly state
Have no fear the fugitive slave woman act will find a different route.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Have no fear the fugitive slave woman act will find a different route.
Government force is a double edged sword...you can't concede a particular right or freedom (with the hopes that it'll only force the other side "in line") without expecting the possibility of it being used against yourself one day. The thing about government is, there's no explicit guarantee that like minded people will always be at the helm.

Thus the reason that while I was pro-vaccine during covid on a personal level, I hesitated to support things like vaccine passports or vaccine requirements for entering certain places. Government entities already have an easy enough pathway to control way too much our lives without us making even easier for them.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Government force is a double edged sword...you can't concede a particular right or freedom (with the hopes that it'll force the other side "in line") without expecting the possibility of it being used against yourself one day.

Thus the reason that while I was pro-vaccine during covid on a personal level, I hesitated to support things like vaccine passports or vaccine requirements for entering certain places. Government entities already have an easy enough pathway to control way too much our lives without us making even easier for them.
Noun, verb, both sides.

• Winner
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,096.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If California has legal abortion and a bordering state doesn't, a person should be able to to travel there to get one without consequence.
Completely agree.
I'm glad the whole "covid passport" thing didn't take off, it would've been the precursor to conservative states blocking women from traveling to an abortion friendly state.
We had it down here. We had a government app on our phones and it registered whether or not you were vaccinated. And at the height of the pandemic, you had to show it at the door to get access to restaurants and pubs. If you weren't vaccinated then you could stand outside and watch everyone enjoying themselves inside. We had it when we needed it and it was discontinued when we didn't. If you think that your particular government would overstep the mark and make such a requirement permanent then you need to consider voting them out. We would have.

And the fact that we had one of the lowest death rates in the world was testament to its efficacy. And I'm travelling with my wife in a month or so. One thing we'll be doing is checking to see if we need any specific vaccinations to be allowed to enter any given country.
For people who feel abortion is murder, they see it as abortion killing 500k humans per year over the past decade, do you want their definition of "killing people" used to define what kind of rights you have for traveling?
Again, it's not contagious.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Do you not understand the difference between a potentially deadly, communicable disease, and a private medical decision between a doctor and a patient?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Do you not understand the difference between a potentially deadly, communicable disease, and a private medical decision between a doctor and a patient?
Its 100% all or nothing with no discrimination applied. Thats the only way think reasonably about these things. :rolleyyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maternity care centers have been forced to close because they have become unprofitable in some red states. It seems judges understand the predicament facing pregnant women better than partisan government representatives. Most of these maternity care deserts are in rural areas in states with less generous medicaid programs. This problem has only been exacerbated by politicians in our country.

Upvote 0