I really need to connect with some people, in a real "non-online" and can't seem to.

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
First of, as Ive posted before, I have some health issues,and by "have some health issues I mean I'm 22 years old, I look perfectly healthy if you see me, but I'm unable to work a job, or even leave my house consistently. I'm lucky to make it to church once a week, and the little schooling I'm able to do I'm doing online.

Its tearing me up, because I have so little contact with people outside my family. I'm not even going to pretend I don't really want a godly woman in my life, but its not JUST romance that I yearn for, but just to be around other humans who share my core beliefs, or at this point ANY humans AT ALL that arn't my immediate family.

I have these health problems, and when they hit (and I have no warning) they keep me from being able to leave my house. Any friendships I had in the past have pretty much disintegrated except for one or 2, and those are hanging on by a thread. Not that I was ever especially good at making friends to begin with. Because of these issues I can't really plan anything, because I might say "yea lets hangout Friday" and when Friday gets there I might be sick. I can't volunteer anywhere or work a job. No way to meet people there. I go to church but I'm not a member at that church yet. I'm planing on joining but the membership class is on a sunday morning and so far Ive missed them (mornings are worse for me for some reason and Ive actually had to watch church online from home the last several Sundays). Luckily I make it most Wednesdays to small group, but there arn't really any people my age. Most are 5+ years older than me and/or married. In fact, I don't think there is more than 2 people out of the 10-15 who cylce through the class that are my age and single, and one of those is a guy. So its not really a good place to make friends OR meet women. Most of the people their have kids and lets be real, ive never been in a relationship, I can't relate to them on any level when most of their life deals with their marriage and their kid.

This loneliness is killing me though. Ive struggled with inappropriate content most of my life and after some deep soul searching Ive realize that its mostly a way to escape my loneliness. All the periods of time in my life where Ive had any success in that area involved me being around people more, and focusing on god much much more. So its even MORE an uphill battle than usual since I'm so lonely.

I honestly don't know what to do, its a mess, and I'm really really tired. I would say I'm tired of trying but I don't even know what to try anymore.

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It could be that God has pulled you into a "desert" in order to bring you closer to Him & get your focus off of all else besides Him. It's very hard to go through but draw near to Him, forget about everything else besides Him & just look to Him to be your everything. Usually when people are isolated in this way it's because God is trying to get there attention & trying to get us to lean on Him for absolutely everything that we need, companionship, friendship, love, etc.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It could be that God has pulled you into a "desert" in order to bring you closer to Him & get your focus off of all else besides Him. It's very hard to go through but draw near to Him, forget about everything else besides Him & just look to Him to be your everything. Usually when people are isolated in this way it's because God is trying to get there attention & trying to get us to lean on Him for absolutely everything that we need, companionship, friendship, love, etc.

Yes but Ive been here for YEARS AND YEARS. I mean, at this point a do very little other than play video games and watch netflix. I mean don't get me wrong I read my bible and pray quite a bit but I could be finishing my degree and going to seminary but I'm stuck in stasis unable to move forward with my life while everyone around me does.

Upvote 0

Gentle Lamb

"Let there be sheep!"
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2009
✟272,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Truth be told it looks like Christians in America are coming to a point where persecution will start to become more and more apparent. Maybe lay aside the video games and netflix and spend more time with God? In addition, look into the possibility of attending school online to help alleviate your frustration.

Upvote 0

yuppers

Mar 25, 2014
Alberta
✟41,239.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having a Christian community to be around is one of the most important things someone can have. I can relate to the feelings your having because I was in a very similar spot as you. I'm sure your right in saying that your struggle with inappropriate content is because your loneliness. When you have nobody to be with its definitely a way to escape for a bit. You said you go to a small group, that's a good start. Just because someone is older then you doesn't mean you can't be friends with them. The only real friend I have now is around 7 years older then me. I still have a great time with him. It's actually kind of nice because he helps me with life advice. Next time you go to your group I want to encourage you to consider talking to someone older... You talk about wanting a girlfriend. I know having that kind of companionship is nice, I desire one to. Have you ever thought though that maybe it isn't the best time in your life to have a girlfriend. Personally I want to try and give my girlfriend a happy relationship. As much as I want one now, I know she would be there to try and fill something. That is not a healthy reason to want a girlfriend. Be patient in your singleness and keep trying to improve yourself. God will bless you with a girl at the right time :). I will pray for you.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Having a Christian community to be around is one of the most important things someone can have. I can relate to the feelings your having because I was in a very similar spot as you. I'm sure your right in saying that your struggle with inappropriate content is because your loneliness. When you have nobody to be with its definitely a way to escape for a bit. You said you go to a small group, that's a good start. Just because someone is older then you doesn't mean you can't be friends with them. The only real friend I have now is around 7 years older then me. I still have a great time with him. It's actually kind of nice because he helps me with life advice. Next time you go to your group I want to encourage you to consider talking to someone older... You talk about wanting a girlfriend. I know having that kind of companionship is nice, I desire one to. Have you ever thought though that maybe it isn't the best time in your life to have a girlfriend. Personally I want to try and give my girlfriend a happy relationship. As much as I want one now, I know she would be there to try and fill something. That is not a healthy reason to want a girlfriend. Be patient in your singleness and keep trying to improve yourself. God will bless you with a girl at the right time :). I will pray for you.

I'm certainly not against having friends who are older, in fact one of the only close friends I DO have is quite a bit older. However he lives far away so I only really talk to him once or twice a week (or sometimes month). I know that I'm not really in a place to date, I mean realistically what would we do? I can't hardly get out of my house what are we suppose to do watch netflix at my place with my parents? It doesn't stop me from desiring that kind of relationship though.I don't beleive I want that relationship to fill some hole thats for god, Gods first in my life, but I would still really like to be able to cuddle up with a nice girl. I'm certainly talking to those people in the small group but its just not an environment where I get to know them very well.

Ive been patient in my singleness and trying to improve myself for over 8 years, still never had a girlfriend and only been on 2 dates, kissed once. All those things did was make me want it more :/

Truth be told it looks like Christians in America are coming to a point where persecution will start to become more and more apparent. Maybe lay aside the video games and netflix and spend more time with God? In addition, look into the possibility of attending school online to help alleviate your frustration.

I mean, I do spend a good amount of time with god, its not ONLY netflix and video games, but realistically they are most of my time. I do some schooling online, or will starting this week actually. The problem is my health issues leave me very very VERY tired and its hard to focus on school stuff so I can't do to much.
---------------------------
The whole situation sucks. Like today, I planned to go to church this morning. Got up earlier, took a shower, took some meds for my stomach, and now when its time to leave I can't cause I don't feel good. Truth be told I could probably make it if I tried but it would require so much effort and energy its just not worth it when I can watch the sermon online. I'm so freaking tired and feel so crappy its not even funny.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A regular, prayerful Bible reading habit is very good to cultivate on a daily basis.

Well I already have that, and thats not exactly going to help when it comes to meeting people since my time with god tends to be just me and god, at least the time I put aside and dedicate to be for god.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I already have that, and thats not exactly going to help when it comes to meeting people since my time with god tends to be just me and god, at least the time I put aside and dedicate to be for god.
The thing is, if a person loves to read God's Word and talk about it and learn more, there will be something to talk about with others who also love to read the Word.

Upvote 0

anewman1993

Aug 17, 2014
✟19,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The thing is, if a person loves to read God's Word and talk about it and learn more, there will be something to talk about with others who also love to read the Word.

did your read my original post? The problem is that with my health I can't really LEAVE MY HOUSE. Doesn't matter how much I have to talk about if I'm stuck here almost all the time. I already love talking with people about the word, I'm just not really around people enough to talk about it with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums