I never received an immersion (water) baptism, should I?

Templedweller

Unexpected, But Always Meant To Be!!!
Apr 10, 2006
✟22,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
isnt this thread if one ought to be baptized by immersion? I, like the one was brought up Lutheran, was sprinkled at infant baptism I chose to be baptized after accepting the Lord. Just wondered if you have you chosen to be baptized or still wondering on the choice, just asking? :)

Upvote 0

ozell

Jun 28, 2007
chicago il
✟5,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what did Jesus do?Mt 16:24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.he is the captain of your salvationHeb 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Baptism. why do we argue over these things. 1) was christ baptised by water and spirit?2) so why is it that we should not follow his example?
He was also baptised in the Jordan River. Does that mean we need to all be baptised in the Jordan River?

Upvote 0

flightofsevens

Solus V
Oct 13, 2009
Alabama
Visit site
✟7,772.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you show me a place in Scripture after Jesus' resurrection where people prayed to have their sins forgiven and were saved?

Can you tell me what praying is? What exactly is the point of Prayer? And I might as well throw in one scripture; James 5:15 which reads: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. I'm sure there are many more, but unless you insist I start lookin, I will leave you with that. And the answer to my question was: Prayer is talking/conversing with God. How else are we to be saved unless we confess Jesus Christ with our mouths and believe (Romans 10:9 by the way) how else can we be forgiven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miss Elly

Miss Elly
Aug 24, 2009
Irving, Texas 75060
✟15,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If water baptism alone saved souls, then every frog and fish in the pond has salvation. When I got baptized it was a wonderful blessing! I was already saved, but wanted to follow the Lord in all things. All of us were rejoicing, the spirit of God was so heavy on us it was hard to stand up when we stood up. Some of you may know what I am talking about. The blood of Jesus Christ paid for our salvation, but water baptism is something everyone should do. Another thing, it is public way of telling the world we are Christ's disciples.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To get the full benefit of knowing that you are saved water baptism adds to the words and thoughts you have by making the washing away of sins so you can feel it happening, the burial with Christ can be felt, the placing yourself into the hands of another while under water, the being lifted up to a new life washed clean. Water baptism is not something we have to do, but something we get to do. It is not to “fulfill some command” that brings something to God, but something to help us and adds to our personal experience. We also become a witness to everyone that is there to remind them of Christ going to the tomb and being raised up. A real date and time to our rebirth.

Upvote 0

oneofchrists

Give Me Stength Lord
Sep 9, 2009
Intervale, New Brunswick Canada
✟8,514.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
:wave::wave:When I was Baptized I was thirty six Years old....a Baptism of full immersion...I wanted that experience. I was a Christian already and Born again when I was twenty four years old. I was dedicated as a baby in the Baptist Church about fifty five and a half years ago . I was Baptized in the United Church of Canada when I was fifteen years old. The last one the full immersion Baptism in a Trout pond on September the tenth nineteen hundred and eighty nine. It was a sunny and most beautiful of Days ,When I came up out of that water for The third time, and the way that the sun was shining through the clouds It was so emotional for Me I had Joy in My heart My legs were feeling weak but I was overcome with Joy and all of My Friends and other folks From Church all shook My hand and offered Me the Peace of Christ. I can still remember the Choir singing "No Not One" I new at that moment that Jesus Was mine . Something that I never really felt quite the same except for when I first received Him as My Savior and few other emotional times when I would stand up in Church and Testify. But When I received Him as Savior and Lord that was the Most beautiful experience Of all. I didn't come down for at least a week it felt like I was just hovering where ever I would go, walking on a cushion of air... I KID YOU NOT. everyone around Me thought I was crazy but I didn't care but My home Church at the Time and the folks there thought they were doing Me a favor by telling Me that was no way to act , well not in so many words but I could see it on their faces and I new that I was expected to stifle myself cause they didn't seem to want that kind of enthusiasm there....I have talked long enough Brothers and Sisters may the Lord Bless You and Keep You and May His Face shine upon You and Give You Peace and Blessings In your walk with Him....Dave:pray::prayer::hug::wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Elly

Miss Elly
Aug 24, 2009
Irving, Texas 75060
✟15,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Miss Elly I think I understand, when you're all wet you feel heavier making it harder to stand up, right; or do you mean there are only certain Christians that ever receive this experience? :scratch:

I'm talking about feeling the power and presence of God - when the annointing comes upon you, your body feels weak. Not watrlogged clothes. It's a wonderful, wonderful feeling. It's what I imagine the believers felt on the day of Pentecost.....like fire shut up in their bones and sitting on their heads. I believe any christian that wants the fullness of God can have it by asking for it. As for me, the bible / word of God sustains me and is what gave me salvation , but I sure would like to feel again like I (and not only me) did on that day. There is so much more to the Lord than any of us can imagine. God bless you.:preach:

Upvote 0

flightofsevens

Solus V
Oct 13, 2009
Alabama
Visit site
✟7,772.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not trying to take anything away from your experience, but I'm concerned for the new born in Christ so they understand, feelings are not what our relationship with Christ Jesus is based on. It's based on the sincerity of our faith in the promises of the Word of God and His Holy Spirit.

But are His touches to be rejected?
I remember the first "touch" I had... I was getting really sick and had no insurance or money at the time. I remember lying there in my bed sweating and thinking about some scriptures and asked God if he would will it to heal me in Jesus name. The "feeling" came upon me immediately, as an electrical current running waves throughout my body. All I could think of during this was "My Jesus!" and I seemed to be paralyzed in awe. When it went away, I was breathing hard, but I felt fine. No fever, no nausea, nothing.

Yes the MOST IMPORTANT thing of following Christ is Faith. Without faith works are dead. But do you really think that if the Holy Spirit of God Himself dwells within you that if you ask it He wont do? Or that if you are worshiping Him you may not "feel" something? I get that feeling Miss Elly talked of alot too. His glory is so powerful it is hard to try and stand up when you "feel" it!

In the New Testament and in the Old, He heals and shows many miracles, signs, wonders... Id He not doing that now? Cause I see it a lot. He is the same yesterday, today, and will be the same tomorrow. For our God never changes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Can you tell me what praying is? What exactly is the point of Prayer? And I might as well throw in one scripture; James 5:15 which reads: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. I'm sure there are many more, but unless you insist I start lookin, I will leave you with that. And the answer to my question was: Prayer is talking/conversing with God. How else are we to be saved unless we confess Jesus Christ with our mouths and believe (Romans 10:9 by the way) how else can we be forgiven?

I encourage you to keep looking. Read through the book of Acts and consider how people responded when they heard the gospel for the first time.

Here's something else for you to think about: who were Romans and James written to? Christians.

The people reading those letters had already been baptized. Romans 6 is a reminder of what their baptism meant ... it's linked to dying to sin, and being raised up to walk a new life with Christ.

It's our participation in the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. It's part of being "born again!"

Upvote 0

OpenDoor

Faith + Hope + Love
Apr 17, 2007
✟10,786.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
isnt this thread if one ought to be baptized by immersion? I, like the one was brought up Lutheran, was sprinkled at infant baptism I chose to be baptized after accepting the Lord. Just wondered if you have you chosen to be baptized or still wondering on the choice, just asking? :)
still praying :)
thank you everyone for your advice

Upvote 0

NickH

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
Virginia
✟7,664.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No matter what, get back to church and fellowship with fellow believers in Christ. Worship God!

I can't wait to go to Church tomorrow. There was a period in my life when I had no Church family, but I can't imagine being without it now.

Upvote 0

NatalieJan777

Humbled before GOD
Jul 30, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
✟17,605.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Interesting how a simple question can get so complicated, huh?

Personally, I think you should do what the Lord tells you to. I do not believe that being emersed in earthly water will bring much spiritually. But I do know that each individual must be certain in his/her own mind as to what GOD leads him/her to do. The Holy Spirit comes upon us all when GOD feels we are ready and when we are humbled enough before HIM to accept it. From my experience and those of others this can happen long before emersion baptism or long after. I will help you by praying to GOD that HE shows you personally what is required. May HE BLESS YOU!

Upvote 0