I need Christian advice to a work problem

CanIHunt

Oct 1, 2013
✟8,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, thank you in advance for any input you can provide.

Background: I recently (approx 3 months ago) received an expanded responsibility role at my company. Upon receiving this role, I realized that there was an error that will cost the company money. This error has yet to be realized. The error is not my fault, it was the result a co-worker I now share responsibility with. My co-worker and I share the same boss. He is responsible for our performance. I have alluded to this problem to my immediate boss 2-3 times over the past 3 months. He is aware of the issue and either does not agree that it is an error or does not choose to recognize the error at this time. Eventually this error will be discovered and the company will realize a large loss. The only hope for my boss and co-worker is that they are able to make money in other avenues to offset or cover up the loss they are delaying.

When higher management finds out, I am in jeopardy of getting fired because I knew of the error and did not report it.

I believe I have two options:

1. Go to my immediate boss and demand the error is recognized.

In this situation, my boss could potentially avoid being fired if he is able to navigate the internal politics correctly. My co-worker, who originally caused the error, is likely to be fired immediately.

On the other hand, my boss could be fired for delaying the loss and I could be held culpable as well for not acting on my knowledge for the past 3 months.

In this scenario, 1-3 people could be fired (including myself).

2. Go to my boss's superiors and inform them of the error.

In this scenario, I believe I am less likely to be fired. I can inform them that I told my boss of the error and have been waiting for 3 months for it to be fixed. My boss and co-worker on the other hand, will almost certainly be fired immediately.

In this scenario, I believe 2 people are likely to be fired immediately. I will hopefully avoid getting in trouble.

My question- which option would you choose? I feel like my family is more likely to be protected in option 2 (meaning I am more likely to stay employed) but I feel like option 1 gives my boss the chance to avoid being fired. I believe loving God and loving our neighbor are two important (if not the most important) principals taught by Jesus. If I choose option 2, then I find it hard to argue I am "loving my neighbor" as my boss will certainly be fired.

Thank you.

least

To God be the Glory!
Dec 20, 2011
✟13,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you loving your employer if you don't go forward with the truth? Everyone is a neighbor, including the one who you are all working for. If you have tried to bring it to light with the lower manager and he refuses to do right, that is putting your family at risk as well as your employer. Just my two cents...

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you are in accounting or similar position and know of an "error" that could materially affect the company you could be in BIG trouble. I would go with option 1 and if that didn't resolve the problem I would put my concerns in writing and have nothing to do with the cover up. Even if this meant going over my bosses head. When it all comes apart you can be pretty certain the blame will fall on everyone who knew, including you.

It's a tough situation, praying for you.

Upvote 0

peachy33

Jul 26, 2011
✟7,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would tell your immediate boss your concerns in writing, and see if something is done. I would then follow-up in writing again after a couple of weeks or 30 days. If nothing happens with that, I would pray about telling the higher-ups. But I think if your concerns have been put in writing, you'd be covered. Just make sure it's email, and get a "read receipt".

Upvote 0

CryOfALion

Sep 10, 2014
✟1,894.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you are in accounting or similar position and know of an "error" that could materially affect the company you could be in BIG trouble. I would go with option 1 and if that didn't resolve the problem I would put my concerns in writing and have nothing to do with the cover up. Even if this meant going over my bosses head. When it all comes apart you can be pretty certain the blame will fall on everyone who knew, including you.

It's a tough situation, praying for you.

Yes,this.

If you are in finance then this is a big deal, because three months is a quarter, which could throw off plenty in the company vis-a-vis quarterly loss reports/stock price down.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Background: I recently (approx 3 months ago) received an expanded responsibility role at my company. Upon receiving this role, I realized that there was an error that will cost the company money. This error has yet to be realized. The error is not my fault, it was the result a co-worker I now share responsibility with. My co-worker and I share the same boss. He is responsible for our performance. I have alluded to this problem to my immediate boss 2-3 times over the past 3 months. He is aware of the issue and either does not agree that it is an error or does not choose to recognize the error at this time. Eventually this error will be discovered and the company will realize a large loss. The only hope for my boss and co-worker is that they are able to make money in other avenues to offset or cover up the loss they are delaying.

When higher management finds out, I am in jeopardy of getting fired because I knew of the error and did not report it.

In this situation, my boss could potentially avoid being fired if he is able to navigate the internal politics correctly. My co-worker, who originally caused the error, is likely to be fired immediately.

On the other hand, my boss could be fired for delaying the loss and I could be held culpable as well for not acting on my knowledge for the past 3 months.

In this scenario, I believe I am less likely to be fired. I can inform them that I told my boss of the error and have been waiting for 3 months for it to be fixed. My boss and co-worker on the other hand, will almost certainly be fired immediately.

In this scenario, I believe 2 people are likely to be fired immediately. I will hopefully avoid getting in trouble.

My question- which option would you choose? I feel like my family is more likely to be protected in option 2 (meaning I am more likely to stay employed) but I feel like option 1 gives my boss the chance to avoid being fired. I believe loving God and loving our neighbor are two important (if not the most important) principals taught by Jesus. If I choose option 2, then I find it hard to argue I am "loving my neighbor" as my boss will certainly be fired.

Thank you.

Make sure you have it in writing - even as a 'note for file', that you repeatedly reported to your immediate superior your mistake.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Thank you.

If it is in the company policy, that you signed, to go to your superiors (option 2) then you should do so, regardless of the outcome...

And, in this case this happens to be the most honest and honorable thing (sticking to your word of the policy you signed) thing to do, that just so happens to coincide with what is in your best interests (although that should have nothing to do with your decision making) Keeping your word should however....

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi CanIHunt

You recently got promoted, and going over your boss' head probably won't help build trust and respect even if you are right about the financial loss.

I'd respect the command structure, and protect myself with documenting the attempts to get it addressed.

I find the ability of Christians to overcome evil to be a valuable asset in the workplace. The competition, back stabbing, manipulation, gossiping, etc is enough for anyone to become offended, fearful, threatened, and to respond in kind. Christians seem to be able to rise above it.

Congratulations on the promotion, and God bless.

Upvote 0

CanIHunt

Oct 1, 2013
✟8,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am choosing option 1. Jesus told us to love God and to love our neighbor. I think I choose option 2 if I only care about protecting myself. I think I choose option 1 if I love my neighbor. Option 1 allows to me to look out for my company and give my boss a chance to save himself. We all make mistakes, myself included, I think he should have another chance to fix this. If he hates me because I am forcing the issue, then so be it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums