OliverC

happy
Oct 4, 2012
✟8,140.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Each time I read or listen to the Bible I struggle to accept it.

I even feel repulsed based on my existing feelings of right and wrong today. It isn't just one part, it is even the the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:31), Revelations and so on. I don't wish to list all the verses here unless that is the consensus that it is the only way to address this, so my questions to tackle this are:

1) Do I need to take an all or nothing approach to being a Christian, must I agree 100% with the Bible (God's Word)?

2) Is the solution through structured bible study? If you say yes, then I expect there are lots of ways to study it and lots of ways to get answers. What is your experienced opinion?

3) How can I feel (and be) right as a Christian? I accept Matthew 22:37-40.

Any advice?

Thanks.

efraim7praise

Apr 8, 2014
I am currently living in the beautiful islands of
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello OliverC
I have been a christian for over thirty years. I loved the Lord very much but I also use to struggle to read my bible. As soon as I began to read I would fall asleep. About three years ago I became desperate for God because of the many struggles that I had in my life. The Lord directed me to Ephesians 1:15-22. It is a prayer for spiritual wisdom from God. I prayed that prayer every night until God poured out his spirit of wisdom and revelation on me so that I could know him and have a relationship with him.
Since that day my eyes were opened to the full understanding of the bible. The bible is written in parables which is a true literal story with a powerful spiritual message. It is the spiritual message which will change your life. God is a spirit so we must view his words spiritually and worship him spiritually. I have shared my testimony on my blog 'becoming the oil and wine' google it and you can read about my stories and be encouraged. May God bless you.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

That is because God has yet to draw you to Himself. Until God works in your heart to make you hungry for Him you will not find His truth particularly attractive.

I even feel repulsed based on my existing feelings of right and wrong today. It isn't just one part, it is even the the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:31), Revelations and so on. I don't wish to list all the verses here unless that is the consensus that it is the only way to address this, so my questions to tackle this are:

1) Do I need to take an all or nothing approach to being a Christian, must I agree 100% with the Bible (God's Word)?

Yes. As soon as you start picking and choosing what parts are or are not God's Word it ceases to be God's Word and becomes your word. The parts you adopt are just a reflection of your own preferences and philosophy.

2) Is the solution through structured bible study? If you say yes, then I expect there are lots of ways to study it and lots of ways to get answers. What is your experienced opinion?

Until you have been born again, study of God's Word will yield little benefit. It takes God's Spirit to illuminate His Word to the human heart and mind. And you don't have God's Spirit until you accept His Son as your Saviour and Lord.

THen follow the urging of these verses:

Rom 10:9 That if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture says, Whoever believes on him shall not be ashamed.
Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,680.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

Any advice?

Thanks.
What do you mean by agree 100% with the Bible? If you mean do you need to think it is word by word literal and true, then no. Many Christians don't believe that way. Feel free to PM me if you want, especially if there are specific verses you are struggling with.

Upvote 0

chrisstavrous

Mar 2, 2014
Melbourne
✟485.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

You will find most christians do not take an all approach, its called cherry picking.

Not even the bible has all the answers.

Simple, just believe you know the truth and you will also believe you are right.

Any advice?
Learn to trust your doubts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any advice?

I do think that this is normal. The main reason is that you are not close enough to God to be filled with His Spirit.

I think that one of the solutions is to try to go to church with some Christian friends. You don't need to agree with them, just try not to argue with them. Then try to attend Sunday school with the elementary teachings. Again, you may start ask questions about your doubts but try not to argue with people.

I think that most important part is for you to sort out the message of salvation instead of distracted by your fight with the Bible. Basically, the message can be found in Nicene/Apostle's Creed.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christian are not trying to “sell” non-Christians on the Bible, but do want the non-Christian to experience God’s unique type of Love which equals God Himself and Jesus shows us this Love in everything He says, did and does.

If you experience totally selfless, sacrificial, unconditional Love, you are actually experiencing God and Christ. Do you desire and want to just be loved for how you allow people to perceive you (because that is not Godly type Love) or do you want to be Love in spite of what you have done and want to Love others that way (loving even your enemies)?

Do you want to be found “worthy” by God or are you willing to accept pure charity from God?

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
1. Faith develops over time.

Psalms 119:15

I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways.

This verse implies that we don't grasp it all at once -- we need to keep mulling it over, applying it to our lives, seeing how one verse compares with another. You will even find verses in the Bible that balance each other out with subtle conflicts.

With anything you read and choose to follow, it is not wise to jump headlong into believing before understanding. You could read a statement that someone jumped off a cliff, and presume that act was intended for everyone. Reading promotes thinking, and thinking develops belief. Belief in the past reports generates faith that God will act in the future.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. -Romans 10:17

2. "There are lots of ways to study it and lots of ways to get answers." The Bible does not self-prescribe how to read it. In the early days scriptures were read in the temple, and memorized; people did not have access to books. People "inscribed it on their hearts" by making efforts to remember and reflect on what they heard.

3. Stepping out and choosing to believe that God's promises are for you -- that is an act of faith that we sometimes struggle with, but is important for feeling like a Christian. Even if it doesn't make sense, especially the terms of deserving, it is an act of faith to choose to trust in a plan that is more gracious than we would be to ourselves.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I love God but struggle with the bible and words of Christ

I even feel repulsed based on my existing feelings of right and wrong today. It isn't just one part, it is even the the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:31), Revelations and so on.

The Bible is God's Word. Consider 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT);
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
If you struggle with the words of Christ (Jesus), then it's God you are struggling with because Jesus is God. Consider John 1:1-2 & 14 (NLT);
1 In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He existed in the beginning with God.
14 So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.
The Father's one and only Son is the Word, the Father's one and only Son is Jesus, Jesus is the Word, Jesus is God.

Don't worry if all of that doesn't make sense right now. That's alot to take in.

To reinforce the verses that aiki gave you (Romans 10:9-13), please consider John 3:16 (NLT);
16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
John 14:6 (NLT);
6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.
and 1 John 5:11-12 (NLT);
11 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life.
The phrase 'Jesus is the way' isn't a slogan, it's the Truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bdavison

Mar 6, 2014
✟7,654.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

Any advice?

Thanks.

Oliver, what you are experiencing is known as "conviction". It's where the Holy Spirit puts us on notice of the sin in our lives so that we can turn it over to God, ask for forgiveness, and repent.

Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

You're being cut deep right now, right down to the bone. God is showing you the thoughts and attitudes of your heart". While you are going through this time of spiritual growth, there are two things you need to constantly remember.

First, what you are experiencing is both practical, and necessary. God is molding you into the man he wants you to be. You've got to surrender, let him shape your character, discipline you, make you obedient, and transform you. You may say, this is difficult to do. I agree. That's part of giving your life to Christ, you have to have to be willing to go all in.

Second, understand that this will make your relationship with God better.

In regards to your questions.

1. Yes, you have to take it all as truth because it is. A God that is molded in our minds to conform to our desires is not a God, it's an golden calf, an idol. It requires surrender. You just have to say "God, I don't understand this, it doesn't make any sense to me, help my unbelief"

2. There is no magic solution to make it all make sense. No instant grits formula. Spiritual growth is more like a crock-pot. It takes time. Just be patient.

3. Don't concentrate on your feelings, concentrate on just being. As any christian will tell you, there are times when we don't feel very Christ like. If you look at your feelings as an indicator of your relationship with Christ, you will go through life looking for a spiritual adrenaline rush, and treat God like a drug. Your can gauge your relationship with Christ by looking at the fruit in your life. Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Upvote 0

bdavison

Mar 6, 2014
✟7,654.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oliver, I could not respond via PM because this forum only lets you PM after 15 posts...and I'm new here.

So here is my response....

We have all sorts of doubts don't we? We doubt about the future, We doubt about relationships, We doubt about our jobs, finances, friendships. But one thing that you don't have to doubt about is your own salvation. Sometimes people go to church, and run up to every alter call they can, because they think they are saved, but they are not sure, they still doubt….they think "what if I didn't pray the right words", " what if I didnt do it right", I'd better do it again just to be safe.

Pay attention here…You can and should clear up that matter up once and for all.

The Bible describes Faith in Hebrews 11:1 as "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see." You NEED to be confident that your hope for eternal life with Christ IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Perhaps you don't have that certainty, then I encourage you to pray with me, so that you can KNOW where you will spend eternity.

Dear Father, I know that I am your creation, and that I have rebelled against you and I come to you guilty. I recognize that you are holy, and I know that you sent your son Jesus Christ into this world to take the punishment for my sins. I believe in your son Jesus and his righteousness, and want to be made new in Him and I accept his gift of salvation. Please send your Holy Spirit into my life to guide me all the rest of my days. Amen.

Now if that was the first time you ever surrendered your life to Christ, I want you to understand that it is finished…its is done. Your name is written in the Book of Life, and you will spend eternity with God. Romans 10:9 says "If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God sent his Son, and raised him from the dead, you will be saved. You don't ever have to doubt about that again.

If you've already prayed that before, even if it's not in the same words...the same applies. It's finished.

What is great about this blessed assurance we have after declaring Jesus as our lord and savior is that we can move on, never needing to doubt about it again. You can't get more free than free. You're FREE!!!

:amen:

Upvote 0

TheJust

Jul 15, 2012
✟7,771.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private

Any advice?

Thanks.

1. The bible's word is meaningless to those who fail to interpret it correctly. There is only one simple truth you must find and almost all words of the bible point to said truth, when you find it all will become clear and everything will make complete sense, however you must be absolutely dedicated to finding it.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
Hebrews 11:1

2. There is no reason to structure or to follow the rules of humans, you are trying to find God are you not?

But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul.
Deuteronomy 4:29

3. What do labels such as 'Christian' matter to God?

for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

Upvote 0