I hate Repent of your sins to be Saved. it is a false gospel, lie from the pit of hell

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To repent, as it is used by the writers, is to simply have a change of mind, as Cockcrow pointed out.

We see throughout the old testament that without first cleansing yourself, you could not approach God. This was the main purpose of Christ's death upon the cross. Jesus, taking all the punishment for our sin, left us innocent of any sin in the sight of God.
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. Acts 3:19-20
His resurrection, however, this is where we find our salvation.
They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who delivers us from the coming wrath, granting us new life in Him. 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10
Spiritual death is what separates us from God... If our spirit is dead, then no relationship with God is possible.
He who has the Son has life; 1 John 5:12
but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them. John 3:36
You are called to repent of your unbelief. If you do not believe, you remain spiritually dead.
If you keep this up DA, some will start wondering if you're not a Defense Attorney.

Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Gal 6:18
May the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified; 2 Thess 3:1

Upvote 0

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is disgusting. Nowhere in the bible does it say the phrase repent of your sins. and nowhere does it say repent of your sins to be saved. the Bible says you must Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved, Acts 16:31 that's it. not repent from all your sins, stop sinning, give up drinking, etc. ppl add in works, Jonah 3:10 says turning from evil way is works. salvation is faith alone, Jesus paid it all, these people say "repent of your sins to be saved" no you repent of your sins buddy, the sin of a false gospel being preached. being a false prophet is the worst sin there is it's this wicked works salvation garbage that people want to add works to salvation. Jonah 3:10 says turning from evil way is works. salvation is faith alone, Jesus paid it all. anyone who wants to add to the simple gospel , that is wicked.

Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
You have a gross misunderstanding of the gospel.

"But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
"Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out"
"Repent and be baptized every one of you for the forgiveness of your sins"
"The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent"
"The kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel"
"Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life"

Need I go on?

By your own standard, you are relying on works, correct? Or does John 6 not say in response to the question of "What must we do to do the works God requires?" that "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

The point is that neither repentance, baptism, or belief are works rather you are developing your own standard of what constitutes working in an attempt to be saved on your own merits.

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟77,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You have a gross misunderstanding of the gospel.

"But unless you repent, you too will all perish."
"Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out"
"Repent and be baptized every one of you for the forgiveness of your sins"
"The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent"
"The kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel"
"Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life"

Need I go on?

By your own standard, you are relying on works, correct? Or does John 6 not say in response to the question of "What must we do to do the works God requires?" that "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

The point is that neither repentance, baptism, or belief are works rather you are developing your own standard of what constitutes working in an attempt to be saved on your own merits.
you are adding "of your sins" every time you see the word repent. that is not what the Bible says at all. God repented over 30 times and he has no sin, so repent does not mean of your sins. the repentance required for salvation is changing your mind from unbelief, to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. not cleaning up your life, turning from enough sins, stopping all sinning.

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
you are adding "of your sins" every time you see the word repent. that is not what the Bible says at all. God repented over 30 times and he has no sin, so repent does not mean of your sins. the repentance required for salvation is changing your mind from unbelief, to Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. not cleaning up your life, turning from enough sins, stopping all sinning.
Changing definitions doesn't work. Repent has always and will always mean to "turn back". There is no true changing of heart/mind without change in action. The two aren't exclusive where sin is concerned. Even the faithful, when they strayed from the straight and narrow, were told to repent and do what they had done at first.

To repent is to "go and sin no more".

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟77,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Changing definitions doesn't work. Repent has always and will always mean to "turn back". There is no true changing of heart/mind without change in action. The two aren't exclusive where sin is concerned. Even the faithful, when they strayed from the straight and narrow, were told to repent and do what they had done at first.

To repent is to "go and sin no more".
that's works. Jonah 3:10 “And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.” also when Jesus told the woman to sin no more, he wasn't saying be sinlessly perfect, because the Bible says in 1 John 1:8 “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” Jesus told the woman to sin no more because she was going to be physically killed because of the sin of Adultery until Jesus showed up and saved her. Jesus didn't say sin no more otherwise you lose your salvation, lose eternal life.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟741,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
if people want to keep the law for salvation, they have to keep all the laws perfectly which is impossible because only God is good and for people to say they don't sin or they turned from all sins, would be calling themselves God which is blasphemy (a sin).
“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

the way I see it is if you do not need to repent, you must not need Jesus. The dictionary defines repentance as:

1. feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin.
    "the priest urged his listeners to repent"

Similar:
    feel remorse for

regret

be sorry for

rue

reproach oneself for

be ashamed of

feel contrite about

be penitent

see the error of one's ways

be regretful

be remorseful

be repentant

be conscience-stricken

be guilt-ridden

Fiction:
    If you don't regret anything. how do you even know if you need a savior. It's too legalistic to say, Jesus, will you enter my heart? There is nothing I regret but I would still like the whole don't be sorry for what you have done, just make sure you ask for Jesus help. That way you never have to regret or change any behavior.
1709591651300.gif

1709591651340.gif

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟77,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

the way I see it is if you do not need to repent, you must not need Jesus. The dictionary defines repentance as:

1. feel or express sincere regret or remorse about one's wrongdoing or sin.
    "the priest urged his listeners to repent"

Similar:
    feel remorse for

regret

be sorry for

rue

reproach oneself for

be ashamed of

feel contrite about

be penitent

see the error of one's ways

be regretful

be remorseful

be repentant

be conscience-stricken

be guilt-ridden

Fiction:
    If you don't regret anything. how do you even know if you need a savior. It's too legalistic to say, Jesus, will you enter my heart? There is nothing I regret but I would still like the whole don't be sorry for what you have done, just make sure you ask for Jesus help. That way you never have to regret or change any behavior.
View attachment 343631

View attachment 343632
So I guess when God repented 30+ times in the bible he was being sorry for his sins.. no God has no sin and repent means change of mind. also that does not say to repent of your sins. it says repent. people keep adding "of your sins" to the word repent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟10,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that does not say to repent of your sins. it says repent. people keep adding "of your sins" to the word repent. that is how you know a person is not saved, when they can't understand what repent means. they think it means turning from your sins which is false and a lie.
It has to do with not relying on flesh, the sin nature and trusting in Christ for salvation. If you never repented, you're still dead in sins.
For if you do not believe that I am He [the Messiah], you will die in your sins. John 8:24
Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame. 1 Cor 15:34
Even the faithful, when they strayed from the straight and narrow, were told to repent and do what they had done at first.
"I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

No one can be established by doing what is wrong, but the righteous will not be moved. Prov 12:3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that's works. Jonah 3:10 “And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.” also when Jesus told the woman to sin no more, he wasn't saying be sinlessly perfect, because the Bible says in 1 John 1:8 “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” Jesus told the woman to sin no more because she was going to be physically killed because of the sin of Adultery until Jesus showed up and saved her. Jesus didn't say sin no more otherwise you lose your salvation, lose eternal life.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
That is not works, rather it is the "obedience of faith/obedience that comes from faith" (Romans 1:5,16:26). Again, you neglect that Jesus tells us in John 6 that to believe in him is "the works that God requires". The point remains that "works" doesn't always mean works of the law or any work that is contrary to salvation by grace. The entirety of Hebrews 11 is essentially "By faith, so and so did something." Their faith wasn't separated from their obedience because of faith.

No, Christ wasn't demanding she be sinlessly perfect, but rather that she repent and begin practicing righteousness rather than sin.

Concerning John 11:25-26, how can you not see the correlation to Romans 6:1-14 wherein we see how one is able to be united with Christ in a death to sin like His and an eventual resurrection, i.e. having life though you are dead/never dying? You speak of not being under law, but you deny that by which we are set free from law to be under grace (vs 14). You are making the same argument Paul counters when he says to not use grace as an excuse to go on sinning so grace may increase (vs 1-2). Similarly we read, "I can guarantee this truth: A time is coming (and is now here) when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who RESPOND (akousantes) to it will live" - John 5:25-29.

Also consider earlier in Romans where Paul lists all these sins and says "as some of you once were". They repented!

Perhaps most notably:

Hebrews 6:1 - "Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teaching about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance FROM ACTS THAT LEAD TO DEATH, and faith toward God..."

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟77,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That is not works, rather it is the "obedience of faith/obedience that comes from faith" (Romans 1:5,16:26). Again, you neglect that Jesus tells us in John 6 that to believe in him is "the works that God requires". The point remains that "works" doesn't always mean works of the law or any work that is contrary to salvation by grace. The entirety of Hebrews 11 is essentially "By faith, so and so did something." Their faith wasn't separated from their obedience because of faith.

No, Christ wasn't demanding she be sinlessly perfect, but rather that she repent and begin practicing righteousness rather than sin.

Concerning John 11:25-26, how can you not see the correlation to Romans 6:1-14 wherein we see how one is able to be united with Christ in a death to sin like His and an eventual resurrection, i.e. having life though you are dead/never dying? You speak of not being under law, but you deny that by which we are set free from law to be under grace (vs 14). You are making the same argument Paul counters when he says to not use grace as an excuse to go on sinning so grace may increase (vs 1-2). Similarly we read, "I can guarantee this truth: A time is coming (and is now here) when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who RESPOND (akousantes) to it will live" - John 5:25-29.

Also consider earlier in Romans where Paul lists all these sins and says "as some of you once were". They repented!

Perhaps most notably:

Hebrews 6:1 - "Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teaching about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance FROM ACTS THAT LEAD TO DEATH, and faith toward God..."

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

How can faith be a work when it says is is the gift of God: Not of works lest, any man should boast. faith and works are separate things, you cannot mix the two. Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

How can faith be a work when it says is is the gift of God: Not of works lest, any man should boast. faith and works are separate things, you cannot mix the two. Romans 11:6 “And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.”
Faith isn't a work. The point is that you're hyper fixating on the word "works" in Jonah but disregard it in John 6 because it doesn't fit your narrative.

"Repentance from acts that lead to death (sins)" is as basic of a foundation as faith and Paul says as much. Faith and repentance stand alone or fall in unison.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,479.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

One way to reconcile both of your views is to use Romans 3:30, understand the difference between
  1. justification by faith and
  2. justification through faith.
Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

Israel, the circumcision, are saved by faith, which as Hebrews 11 shows, require works to show that they have faith in God, as bibletruths is saying.

And as you quoted, we gentiles under Paul are saved through faith, which is through the faith of Christ at the cross. No works are required from us (Romans 4:5)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One way to reconcile both of your views is to use Romans 3:30, understand the difference between
  1. justification by faith and
  2. justification through faith.
Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

Israel, the circumcision, are saved by faith, which as Hebrews 11 shows, require works to show that they have faith in God, as bibletruths is saying.

And as you quoted, we gentiles under Paul are saved through faith, which is through the faith of Christ at the cross. No works are required from us (Romans 4:5)
Your first misconception is of what constitutes "Israel". It was always spiritual Israel that was significant and not physical Israel. Romans 9:6-8 - "But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but "Through Isaac shall your offspring be named." This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God but the children of the promise are counted as offspring." Additionally, in Galatians 3, "So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified BY FAITH. But now that faith has come (Christ), we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, THROUGH FAITH. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek... for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to the promise."

We see "by faith" and "through faith" equated here. They mean the same thing and inclusion in the promise has always been through faith. We see all throughout scripture that faith and the obedience of faith are not to be separated. Israel was never an ethnostate rather it was comprised by those of faith and still is found in the church.

There is only one gospel for both Jew and gentile. Galatians 1:6-9 - "I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel, NOT THAT THERE IS ANOTHER ONE, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed." The old law was never a law of works rather they merely treated it as if it were.

We are not saved by works. However, we cannot redefine God's avenue of grace, that we see directly differentiated from works in scripture, (belief, repentance, baptism) as works.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,479.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your first misconception is of what constitutes "Israel". It was always spiritual Israel that was significant and not physical Israel. Romans 9:6-8 - "But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For not all who are descended from Israel belong to Israel, and not all are children of Abraham because they are his offspring, but "Through Isaac shall your offspring be named." This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God but the children of the promise are counted as offspring."

Paul is not talking about us gentiles in that passage.

Romans 9 began with an address to the Jewish brethern of Paul.

3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

The non-believing Israel were boasting in their physical circumcision, because all who descended from the nation were circumcised since 8 days old, they believe that alone qualified as being the true Israel in God's eyes.

Paul thus reminded Israel there that Abraham had 2 sons, one born of the flesh, which is Ishmael, whom God rejected as the child of promise. Only Isaac was considered that child of promise.

Thus, he is saying that, as you said "That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.".

BOTH Isaac and Ishmael were Abraham's children and BOTH were physically circumcised but only Isaac was the child of promise.

Thus being a child of Abraham AND having being physical circumcised does not guarantee a Jew to be God's offspring, true Israel in this case.

Additionally, in Galatians 3, "So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified BY FAITH. But now that faith has come (Christ), we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, THROUGH FAITH. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek... for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to the promise."

If you read Paul properly, you will know that.

Abraham received righteousness by faith before he was circumcised, that is true (Romans 4:9-12).

Thus, thru Christ, we who are uncircumcised gentiles, can also enjoy the blessing (singular, Galatians 3:14) of being righteousness that is imputed purely by faith and without works, so in that sense, Abraham is our father of faith.

But just because we are Abraham is our father of faith, it does not follow that we are therefore Israel.

Israel came from Jacob.

Abraham has many descendants other than Jacob. He even remarry after Sarah's passing and had children after that.

We see "by faith" and "through faith" equated here. They mean the same thing and inclusion in the promise has always been through faith. We see all throughout scripture that faith and the obedience of faith are not to be separated. Israel was never an ethnostate rather it was comprised by those of faith and still is found in the church.

You never asked yourself why Paul bothered to distinguish between circumcision and uncircumcision in Romans 3:30 if they mean the same thing?

Isn't that statement redundant?

Upvote 0

contratodo

Apr 26, 2015
✟21,008.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..In conclusion, treat people the way you would want to be treated,
for this is the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12
(those are the words of the Lord Jesus)
(and when He had finished teaching, the people were astonished at His doctrine
for He taught as one with authority
Matthew 7:28)
This is my commandment, that you love one another. John 15:12

If a man loves me, he will keep my words...
He that does not love me, does not keep my words.
John 14:21-24

If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let that person be Anathema! Oh Lord Come!
1 Corinthians 16:22

If anyone disobeys the Torah (1 John 3:4), and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ, they do not have God.
He that abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son.
If anyone comes to you preaching and does not bring this teaching,
receive him not into your house neither bid him God speed, lest you be partaker of his evil deeds.

2 John 1:9-11

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, the first and the last.
Blessed are they that keep His (Jesus') commands, that they may have right to the tree of life
and may enter through the gates into the city...
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify these things in the Churches,
I am the root and offspring of David, the bright and morning star.
Revelation 22:13-16

Unless a man be born of water and of the Spirit he can not enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
John 3:5-6

If you live after the flesh you shall die,
but if you through the Spirit do put to death the deeds of the flesh, you shall live.
Because as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (born of God, born of His Spirit)
Romans 8:13-14 (being led by the Spirit is therefore being born again)

So how do we receive the Spirit?

Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law or by the hearing of faith?
Galatians 3:2

And you also, after that you heard the word of truth,
the good news of your salvation: in whom also
after that ye believed (they heard and believed Jesus! John 10:27)
ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.
Ephesians 1:13

For by grace you have been saved through faith,
and that not of yourselves, The Holy Spirit
is the gift of God [Acts 2:38] not of works
lest any man should boast.
Because we are Gods workmanship
created in Christ Jesus, for good works
which God has before ordained that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:8-10

And they that belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and lusts
Galatians 5:24

Be not deceived God is not mocked,
for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.
He that sows to his flesh, shall of the flesh reap corruption.
He that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
And let us not be weary in well doing;
for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
Galatians 6:7-9

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul is not talking about us gentiles in that passage.

Romans 9 began with an address to the Jewish brethern of Paul.

3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;

5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.

The non-believing Israel were boasting in their physical circumcision, because all who descended from the nation were circumcised since 8 days old, they believe that alone qualified as being the true Israel in God's eyes.

Paul thus reminded Israel there that Abraham had 2 sons, one born of the flesh, which is Ishmael, whom God rejected as the child of promise. Only Isaac was considered that child of promise.

Thus, he is saying that, as you said "That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of the promise are counted as the seed.".

BOTH Isaac and Ishmael were Abraham's children and BOTH were physically circumcised but only Isaac was the child of promise.

Thus being a child of Abraham AND having being physical circumcised does not guarantee a Jew to be God's offspring, true Israel in this case.

If you read Paul properly, you will know that.

Abraham received righteousness by faith before he was circumcised, that is true (Romans 4:9-12).

Thus, thru Christ, we who are uncircumcised gentiles, can also enjoy the blessing (singular, Galatians 3:14) of being righteousness that is imputed purely by faith and without works, so in that sense, Abraham is our father of faith.

But just because we are Abraham is our father of faith, it does not follow that we are therefore Israel.

Israel came from Jacob.

Abraham has many descendants other than Jacob. He even remarry after Sarah's passing and had children after that.

You never asked yourself why Paul bothered to distinguish between circumcision and uncircumcision in Romans 3:30 if they mean the same thing?

Isn't that statement redundant?
No, Paul is not talking to the Gentiles. You are correct in that assessment. He is making an argument to the Jews in chapters 9-11. His argument is that they are not saved simply because they were born Jewish. The Jews believed they should and would be saved unconditionally simply because they were born as physical descendants of Abraham. They are attempting to determine for God to whom He can show mercy and to whom He cannot. Paul emphasizes the reality that their status as an heir of Abraham had always and would always be based on faith. Beginning in verse 30 we see that the law was never based on works rather they simply treated as if it were. "And do not presume to say to yourselves, "We have Abraham as our father", for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham." - John the Baptist (Matt 3:9)

That is essentially exactly what God has done in the church. After the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in 70 AD, there is no way to prove or track physical descent. It is those who belong to Christ that are considered descendants of Abraham (the church).

Paul never differentiates the gospel preached to the Jews from the gospel preached to the Gentiles; in fact he says there is only one. He does, however, point out who was entrusted with preaching the gospel to whom (Peter to Gentiles, Paul to Jews) in Gal 2:6-10. He even points out that they added nothing to him. Paul, as a once prominent Jew, is specifically preaching to the Jews in order to make them jealous.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟220,479.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, Paul is not talking to the Gentiles. You are correct in that assessment. He is making an argument to the Jews in chapters 9-11. His argument is that they are not saved simply because they were born Jewish. The Jews believed they should and would be saved unconditionally simply because they were born as physical descendants of Abraham. They are attempting to determine for God to whom He can show mercy and to whom He cannot. Paul emphasizes the reality that their status as an heir of Abraham had always and would always be based on faith. Beginning in verse 30 we see that the law was never based on works rather they simply treated as if it were. "And do not presume to say to yourselves, "We have Abraham as our father", for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children for Abraham." - John the Baptist (Matt 3:9)

That is essentially exactly what God has done in the church. After the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem in 70 AD, there is no way to prove or track physical descent. It is those who belong to Christ that are considered descendants of Abraham (the church).

But that does not make us Israel, true or otherwise.

Do you agree with that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bibletruths

Oct 11, 2023
Haleyville
✟10,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The church is the bride of Christ (formerly Israel). Israel has always been comprised of the descendants of Abraham (defined by faith rather than physical decent). Those who belong to Christ are descendants of Abraham.

Ephesians 2:11-18
Ephesians 2:6

That wall of hostility has been destroyed and both Jew and Gentile have been consolidated into one body (the church) as equals and heirs of the promise.

Upvote 0

Groov3yDud3

Mar 6, 2024
Parkland
✟7,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, it does. Lots of churches don't teach repentance anymore. It was even that way in the 70s and 80s, but now even more churches have become lukewarm than then. Expect more to exist in the future if the Lord tarries like He did then (though the 70s and 80s were also considered the "last days").

Upvote 0

Cockcrow

Jan 12, 2022
Southern USA
✟77,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually, it does. Lots of churches don't teach repentance anymore. It was even that way in the 70s and 80s, but now even more churches have become lukewarm than then. Expect more to exist in the future if the Lord tarries like He did then (though the 70s and 80s were also considered the "last days").
most churches teach repent of your sins to be saved heresy. all the false religions (Islam, Buddhism, Catholicism, etc.) teach repent of your sins to be saved. it is a small minority who teach faith alone with no repenting of sins. the narrow way is faith alone in Christ alone.

Upvote 0