• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I don't know that I can trust again...

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My trust in people just is continuing to grow worse. Between being sexually and emotionally abused...maybe it would be better if I trusted no one.

Many abused people face serious trust issues. It can take sometime to build trust with someone who is safe. That can be so helpful when you do, but that person must be really trustworthy no matter what. That is a big call. It has taken me many months to build trust with badly abused people, and that has come only little by little.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

never4now

Jan 16, 2010
✟15,144.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Trust is something I find that I tend to give to the wrong people and withhold from the right ones. Its ridiculous really but its just my natural impulse.

Tonight I was thinking that I usually put guys in one of two categories. When i see a guy staring at me (or several guys) I first think, they must think I look ridiculous and stupid and ugly and fat, maybe I have something on my face or something's wrong with me. If it is an older guy I usually think what a disgusting pervert he probably thinks I'm 16 and thats why hes showing an interest filthy pervo. So does anyone else find themselves thinking like this? I realize its all negative, I don't really ever see guys in a positive way, am I the only one?

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It's not ridiculous, it's a natural reaction to having been hurt... if your mind dismisses all guys as untrustworthy, it protects you from being hurt again.
It takes a long time to learn trust again, but you will get there :hug:
Trusting total strangers can be dangerous anyway... real trust has to grow with a relationship.

Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
It's not ridiculous, it's a natural reaction to having been hurt... if your mind dismisses all guys as untrustworthy, it protects you from being hurt again.
It takes a long time to learn trust again, but you will get there :hug:
Trusting total strangers can be dangerous anyway... real trust has to grow with a relationship.

Very wise and very true. :)

Being too trusting has left me with my fair share of wounds to lick. So, for a time, I went in the opposite direction and completely avoided relationships...even most friendships save one or two.

As for friendships/relationships with guys, I happened on a Maya Angelou quote that seemed to fit where I was at with men/relationships in general:

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ, that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.”

:amen:

When we are hurting and wounded, it is best to seek shelter with our Savior, IMO. There, we are protected and can find the emotional/spiritual (and sometimes, physical) healing that we so desperately need.

Upvote 0

spazlegs

Oct 29, 2009
✟15,323.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Wow flanativegirl that is a good quote. Something that is common in abused people is poor boundaries, either too permeable or too strong. Get Cloud and Townsends Boundaries book. For me it is a hard slough, because my boundaries are either too strong and hard or I'm too open. Getting them to be effective but still useful is a juggling act for me.

I tend to glorify people of both sexes or see them as demonic and sometime they are the same people at different times. Meh!

Upvote 0