Shayla Smith

Apr 6, 2016
Texas
✟7,636.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kmrichard - Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so sorry for all you had to go through, and incredibly glad you now have a great husband! My husband is extremely wonderful, and I hope I didn't make him come across as anything but.

Murby - Thanks for the tips! I'm definitely seeing things I can change about the way I eat.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
If he said "I'd like you to lose some stomach fat" in the tone of "I'd like to eat a sandwich" I'm not seeing the issue. There's no need to blow a situation out of proportion. If he said it and then his actions changed toward you, he said it with the tone of "I'd like to have sex with another woman," or he's refusing to have sex with you because of it, then there's a problem on his end.

I'm sure we all could find something with our spouse we'd like for them to change, but it's about accepting who they are no matter how they look. I think it's good though that he's at least open enough to express a desire to you, as long as it doesn't affect his desire for you. Does that make sense?

I disagree with your first point. Verbal abuse presented in a sweet tone, wrapped up with honey, is still verbal abuse.

Those who engage in verbal abuse will often attempt to pass it off as humour (Can't you take a joke?), or as lighthearted (Why are you getting so upset over such a trivial comment?), or as fair comment (You told me not to wear that blue jumper; why can't I tell you that you are fat?). None of these make the unacceptable acceptable.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I keep seeing this post and thnk maybe I should share my experience.
When I met my ex I was very under weight. Unhealthily so. I'm 5'9 as well as was pushing 105 and for me (with a big frame, even at 105 I couldnt fit into anything smaller than a 5) that's tiny. I developed health problems from that.

Well I went on birth control and my weight shot up. I was under a lot of stress and the ex had become verbally and physically abusive, constantly cutting me down. I was such a cow he was embarrassed to be seen in public with me he said.

I got tired of the cut downs and started the weight loss. He dared me to lose more weight then him. He knows I've started throwing up my food and was on a 200 calorie a day restriction and he encouraged it. I dropped 80 pounds in 6 months and developed a heart murmur along with many other health conditions. the murmur never cleared and still causes trouble sometime.

Anyways, so I lose 80 pounds and am down to 115. I start to see a nutritionist because my eating is so bad at this point and I maintain at 115 but healthy. Not good enough for said ex.

I was also pregnant before I went on the weight loss routine (I didn't start until the baby was born) so I had lose skin and stretch marks. As soon as the ex sees this he tells me how badly he wants to take an iron to my stomach to flatten it out. Never good enough.

So years later I still look at my stomach wanting badly to fix the flaws, the flaws that show I gave birth to an amazing beautiful child, the flaws that show I was once over weight and managed to become healthy again. Reminders that I will never have the body I once had.

It was just never enough for him. No matter how much I tried and how much I liked the changes, it was never enough. And truth be told, it was him who was never enough. I knew it then but I was so insecure I thought he was right when he said I couldn't do any better.

My husband now, he encourages me every day to be comfortable with him. He kisses my stomach, tells me how much he loves all of my flaws, he's a keeper. There are keepers.

I don't know what your situation is like but if it is anything like mine was, do NOT let him get you back to the eating disorder. Don't let him kill you like that. It will kill you. No one is worth it, especially if they can't love and accept you for who you are.

You are beautiful flaws and all. and for your stomach, I don't know if anyone ever told you this but as a woman you are SUPPOSED to have a pooch on your belly. It's your uterous and it's normal and healthy and a beautiful thing. No one ever told me this so I dropped pound after pound trying to get rid of something that would one day house my three lovely children.

Be easy with yourself, you are beautiful just the way you are.
I am so glad that you got out of this abusive relationship - I think this is a second husband, yes? You outline exactly the problem with this kind of person who is never satisfied with their spouse's appearance. This is not love. It is not love to push and press and hound a person to the point of ill-health, and then complain it is not enough. SMDH. I'm glad for you, your husband and three children that you are well and whole now.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments! My husband and I had a very good discussion about this, and I learned that his comments were not meant to hurt me. He is a logical, practical person who isn't sensitive or offended easily, and he simply thought that if there was something I could do, it would be good to look into.

The subtext to all of that is that he is logical and practical, while you are oversensitive and emotional, and too easily offended. All of that subtext is a very subtle way of undermining you, and continuing the same pattern. It is a form of gaslighting; challenging your own perceived reality and swapping it for what he wants you to think.

This is not what I would call a very good discussion. Your body is your concern, not his, and there is nothing either logical or practical in calling someone fat. It is verbal abuse, and so is the subtext to the above.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for your thoughtful comments! My husband and I had a very good discussion about this, and I learned that his comments were not meant to hurt me. He is a logical, practical person who isn't sensitive or offended easily, and he simply thought that if there was something I could do, it would be good to look into.

I, of course, being much more sensitive, took the comments as a bigger deal than he meant them. I mistakenly thought it meant he didn't love me as much, or was unhappy with me. He reassured me that is not the case! (He said he is going to be more careful about his word choices in the future.)

To those who asked, yes, I do have fat on my stomach, despite being pretty thin. My legs have atrophied due to my injuries, so I think that's why my weight is low. My husband and I are planning to work together to both get in better physical shape.

Hetta – Good thoughts about not getting hyper-focused on physical appearance since I used to have an ED. It is definitely a fine line, and one I hope never to cross again.

Gwen – Thanks for the prayers and advice!

Murby - Thanks for the advice about diet. I could definitely cut out more sugar and will try to figure out better meals to make. I also plan to stop drinking juice!

If anyone has any nutrition advice on what types of things are good to eat or any recipe ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Shayla
So glad you and your husband discussed it and you were able to share your hurt, and grow closer in the process! You sound like a sweet couple who honor God by the way you resolve conflict, and seem to love each other unselfishly, and unconditionally.. sniff sniff..

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME..

Upvote 0