How is God just?

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
If you find it valuable to ignore two thousand years of diverse Christian discussion and debate on such theological matters, in order to intentionally focus in on a very specific, one-dimensional perspective then I suppose any further conversation is pointless.

I don't share the modern Fundamentalist conception of Hell. And my voice is one shared throughout the Christian world by Christians from numerous theological traditions. It is a valid voice in this discussion, ignoring it doesn't help you out, it only demonstrates a particular prejudice.

-CryptoLutheran

You're absolutely right ViaCrucis, and I apologize, it was certainly unfair of me.

However, keeping track of the diverse views that all claim to speak on behalf of God Himself, and thus have the singular truth, can be daunting in a forum such as this where I have to respond to everybody, and nobody else is paying any attention to what anyone else is saying.

Yours is so...unorthodox(?), that I can't promise I can keep track of it. Honestly, I don't really know who I'm responding to about half of the time.

Upvote 0

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
JGG said:
I know. But what we're looking for here is some form of falsification. If God is simply always just regardless of what He does, then being just is arbitrary. Being just is whatever God decides is just. There would be no definition and no parameters of what is just. Thus, the word would have no meaning and we shouldn't use it to describe God (or at all for that matter). So if you can tell me some way in which God would not be just then we can start to narrow down what being just means, and how God is just.
retraction of my quote because I was wrong sorry if you already saw it misread you and what you were asking me sincerely sorry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

single eye

Jun 12, 2014
✟16,169.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Overthink much? If GOD is love and His love is unconditional it can only be given with no expectations or strings attached. If we have free-will then it must also be free from restrictions or expectations or it is not truly free. The sraight gate and narrow way do not go through the o.t. or nature. This is why few will find it.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An answer to my question. How is God just?
OK. So you have given me two verses that you are accepting in your basis for the claim that God is just. Can you show me why you are struggling to accept that claim? From what I have seen here, you are observing an apparent double-standard that some Christians claim, whereby some people are forgiven sin while others aren't, and this based on an idea that there is punishment for sin after death, proportionate to the sin (for those who God has not forgiven). Is that an accurate summary of the problem?
Questioning people when they say "because I said so"? Clearly it is and always will be.
Well, not exactly what I had in mind, but I had misread the context anyway. I thought you were referring to a general labelling of you as being evil by those whose "because I said so" you choose to question. I see the statement which Hakan made to you, wherein he has said you are evil for basically inappreciative of Jesus' sacrifice. I do see some evil in the point of view he has presented though, but I don't know if it means he is evil rather than just having chosen to believe a common rhetoric that I do not. In my opinion, any person who thinks Jesus had to die for their sin, or that it was right for Jesus to die for their sin, is at peace with the idea. I have never been comfortable with it, I think it is a terrible shame, a very dark day for mankind, and I believe a huge number of people must have also felt that way when it was happening.

Upvote 0

lt11

May 31, 2014
✟15,249.00
Faith
Christian
JGG said:
I know. But what we're looking for here is some form of falsification. If God is simply always just regardless of what He does, then being just is arbitrary. Being just is whatever God decides is just. There would be no definition and no parameters of what is just. Thus, the word would have no meaning and we shouldn't use it to describe God (or at all for that matter). So if you can tell me some way in which God would not be just then we can start to narrow down what being just means, and how God is just.
ok I think I have misread what you are saying can we start from scratch with you giving me your understanding on why God fails to be just please. Or are you asking for proof as to God being just. I am not very intellectual so you may need to be patient with me. Also just for information sake what is the definition of just

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

One thing to think about......even if you 'could' show that God is unjust, this by no means implies that any sense of "justice" that you maintain personally from a secular perspective is in fact thereby 'just.' In other words, your integrity will be shown in regard to how you actually value moral concepts in that you'll be open to discussion, and being criticized over, your own view of justice. [A view that I have yet to see you establish clearly as well. Which, by the way, brings up the fact that it's kind of hard to say that God is unjust when you don't establish the ontological structure of your own position on justice, which is to do more than provide a simple definition. What you have given us so far is a name without a citation............]

That's an interesting game, but as they say in the show Shark Tank, "I'm out!"

Upvote 0

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

God would not be just if there was no forgiveness for any sin whatsoever regardless of what one believes. We would all have to be absolutely perfect in our thoughts and actions for our entire lives in order to be saved and granted access to Heaven.

In Heaven, there is only perfection. Since we are incapable of being perfect, it is not "just" for God to create humans and then simply sit there and condemn every single one of them to Hell the very second they did - or even thought - something that was imperfect. We are, by very design, not perfect. Therefore, we need a means to become "righteous" in God's sight. We are able to do this by admitting we need the saving work of Jesus Christ (who was perfect) on the cross. God reads and understands our true thoughts, and if we accept this offer, that allows the justice of God to forgive us because He accepts the saving work of His Son on the cross. If we, in turn, do not accept this pardon (like you and other atheists), God's justice can only condemn. I hope this helps a bit...

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This was a question I asked in a thread which was shut down some time after. Some people wished to answer it.

How is God just?

Let's suppose two men murder two women. Let's further suppose that one man is Christian, one man is not. Now, based on what I have been told the Christian man receives Grace and is allowed to enter heaven, while the non-Christian is sent to hell for all eternity.

Here's where I have problems:

First, if both men are guilty of the same crime, how is it just that they receive different punishments?

If the punishment for this crime is eternal punishment then God allows the Christian to escape justice rather than enforce it. Furthermore, one woman's killer sees justice the other's does not.

If the punishment for the crime is that one must confess and repent, the non-Christian's punishment is a few leagues beyond excessive and not just. The non-Christian is punished for eternity, the Christian is punished for relative moments. Also, it assumes that the Christian confesses and repents but the non-Christian does not. I don't see how such an assumption is made. Furthermore, if confession and repentance makes the balance of justice, what is the significance of Jesus' sacrifice?

But beyond that, how do we know God is just? How is God just?

A real Christian would not murder. See 1 Cor. 1:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He can though, if it is capable of holding up to debate. The verse provided had no such effect.

He can use scripture, sure, but fallacies like that don't hold water in debate. And since a Christian (true or otherwise) is capable of using his free-will to "quench the Spirit" and commit evil...you see where the fallacy lies.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He can use scripture, sure, but fallacies like that don't hold water in debate. And since a Christian (true or otherwise) is capable of using his free-will to "quench the Spirit" and commit evil...you see where the fallacy lies.
I can see the problems with it, and I don't think it is likely an accurate conclusion, however, to say it is automatically not true because it appears to be a No True Scotsman Fallacy is not necessarily as you say, something that cannot hold up to debate. I am sure you are committing some sort of fallacy by making that assumption. We first would need to examine all the people whose name is found in The Book of Life, and find out whether they did commit murder. If that is an established fact, then your assumption is correct. Otherwise, I have to say that it can potentially hold up to debate, but it would need to be presented as a sufficiently convincing argument. It wasn't, and as a statement, it failed to establish credibility. It is what JGG has referred to "because I said so", which is a failure to present an idea in a way that is sufficient to be understood and considered.

Upvote 0

Hakan101

Here I Am
Mar 11, 2010
Earth
✟1,715.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Again: Justice is not something to be paid. It is not a fine, nor is it a debt.

That's your personal definition of justice. You can find plenty of foundation in many justice systems where the punishment for a crime is paying a price. You lose something of value. You just don't want to accept the idea of death as a price to be paid.

I think you'll find that traditionally those who believe themselves superior to others always acknowledge that it's because God made them superior. I'm not entirely sure why that makes it better

Again you are the one trying to project the idea of Christians having an attitude of superiority. If you want to rationalize it that way, that's your choice. But we don't hold that attitude, we are not superior, because it's not our power. If two soldiers are marching together in an army, one is skinny and short, the other tall and muscular, then it could be said the muscular man is a superior ally for battle. But that's not the comparison of the Christian vs. the non-Christian. It would be like two equally weak men with no equipment, and one man decides to receive the most powerful armor and weapons from the King while the other decides to try and fight bare naked. You wouldn't call the armored soldier "superior" because he really isn't, he just chose to go to the King and receive the equipment he needed.

Here's what I'm reading, and why I object to it:

"God is just because God says He is just. It is evil to question or suggest otherwise."

You are claiming God is just. I have no reason to accept your word on the matter, I will have to be convinced through some method other than appeal to self-authority.

If you don't accept my word, you can accept any number of pastor's words, etc. There are volumes of books and hours of sermons you could hear. But if you just want to argue on an internet forum instead of learn the truth, it's your choice.

"Jesus died for our sins through noble sacrifice, you are too stubborn and evil to acknowledge it!"

As I keep saying, it's not relevant to my question. I'm asking directions and you're telling me the inner workings of my car. I don't believe in such a sacrifice, but I really have no reason to challenge or question it to address my question. It doesn't explain to me how God is just. Afterall, did God only convert from unjust to just with this sacrifice?

As I keep saying but you either keep ignoring or just don't understand (I'm inclined it's the former), it is absolutely relevant to your question because it explains how we are justified back to God. This sacrifice was paid so that the law of God could be fulfilled, so justice could be served. Without this sacrifice, the whole system doesn't hold up and we would not have the chance for salvation. God made it clear man cannot justify himself. We need Jesus.

To put it another way: without Jesus' sacrifice, it would be unjust for any of us to have salvation. We would not be allowed to enter heaven, only Hell. We can't pay the price of sin and still have eternal life by our own power.

"God has a different definition of x!"

Then the meaning of this new definition of x means nothing to me, or anyone who does not believe in your particular God concept. If God's definition of just means something different than mine then we are speaking different languages. If God has a perfect system of justice that we understand then we should be employing it too, not the imperfect system that we struggle with. Afterall, it would be perfect.

You're absolutely right things would be much better if we all willingly turned back to God and followed His way instead of ours. Unfortunately that's never happening.

But, if we don't understand it then we should not conflate it with "our justice." It would be something entirely different. It would be like holding up a tomato, and claiming it is a cat. Sure, it has no whiskers, tail, or internal organs, and it doesn't say "mew", but I swear it's a cat! From what we understand of justice, God is not just.

No it's more like it we hold up a perfect and ripe tomato and say "this is good to eat", then we hold up a shriveled rotting dead one and say "this is also good to eat." The dead one is our justice. And we can understand God's justice, you can too you are just too stubborn and are already convinced it is wrong. You have a lifetime to change your mind, swallow your ego and make an actual attempt to understand, the way God intended us to understand.

And allow me to be clear, I am challenging your concept of God. I am questioning your understanding. I'm saying your concept of God is unjust. I'm sure you will say "my concept of God is the correct one, therefore you're evil." But I have to question it as I can only understand it through my perspective. I am not prepared to bow down to your "superior" understanding, as I don't really think you have any.

If you really do have this great understanding of God and His Justice, then I'm sure you can explain to me how it is, in actuality, and despite my protests just, without having to resort to "because I said so" and "you're evil if you disagree with me!".

Nobody ever asked you to bow down to them. Well, except God. But as for me, I've stated several times we as humans have nothing ourselves to brag about and are not superior at all despite your repeated insistence that's what I am saying. Clearly you just want to twist words and spew shallow arguments, as everybody here has each given you an earful of feedback. Instead of actually address their feedback, you just stick to your erroneously simple view instead of looking at the more complex truth, then claim nobody is giving you feedback.

Here's a great example: you have yet to give me one good reason how it is *not* just for Jesus to willingly pay the price for our sins--thus saving us from death because we cannot afford the price ourselves--on the condition that we follow and faithe in Him so we are rehabilitated. By all accounts this is perfectly just. He's got the payment we need, and he's very willing, we just need to follow Him to receive it. It's no free ticket, it comes with that condition of faith. If it *was* a free ticket and the person just gets off free and continues to live their life the evil way they want to, I can see how that would be unjust but that's not how it works. So I'm still waiting for your reason. I don't really think you have any.

Because instead of actually addressing my responses thoughtfully, you ignored all of the details and simply (and falsely) claimed I only said, "You're evil if you disagree with me!" If you claim God is unjust for allowing us to have salvation through Christ, then on the flip side you're also saying you desire everyone to go to hell. Find anyone else who *would* disagree with me on this point. Give me one good reason why it is *not* evil to desire a fellow human being to receive eternal damnation and suffering, and have no salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can see the problems with it, and I don't think it is likely an accurate conclusion, however, to say it is automatically not true because it appears to be a No True Scotsman Fallacy is not necessarily as you say, something that cannot hold up to debate. I am sure you are committing some sort of fallacy by making that assumption. We first would need to examine all the people whose name is found in The Book of Life, and find out whether they did commit murder. If that is an established fact, then your assumption is correct. Otherwise, I have to say that it can potentially hold up to debate, but it would need to be presented as a sufficiently convincing argument. It wasn't, and as a statement, it failed to establish credibility. It is what JGG has referred to "because I said so", which is a failure to present an idea in a way that is sufficient to be understood and considered.

I'm not sure I understand your line of reasoning...so how would you present such a claim as a sufficiently convincing argument if it has potential to be considered as such? We may just be defining terms differently...

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure I understand your line of reasoning...so how would you present such a claim as a sufficiently convincing argument if it has potential to be considered as such? We may just be defining terms differently...

If it makes sense for it to be possible, and there is no clear reason to think it is not, then it must be capable of being argued as a possibility. Because I am not making this claim, I don't have an understanding of this idea that is sufficient to make a convincing argument, however I am just pointing out to you that your objection has faults and the person who made the claim can do better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
God would not be just if there was no forgiveness for any sin whatsoever regardless of what one believes. We would all have to be absolutely perfect in our thoughts and actions for our entire lives in order to be saved and granted access to Heaven.

In Heaven, there is only perfection. Since we are incapable of being perfect, it is not "just" for God to create humans and then simply sit there and condemn every single one of them to Hell the very second they did - or even thought - something that was imperfect. We are, by very design, not perfect. Therefore, we need a means to become "righteous" in God's sight. We are able to do this by admitting we need the saving work of Jesus Christ (who was perfect) on the cross. God reads and understands our true thoughts, and if we accept this offer, that allows the justice of God to forgive us because He accepts the saving work of His Son on the cross. If we, in turn, do not accept this pardon (like you and other atheists), God's justice can only condemn. I hope this helps a bit...

Firstly, you're saying God would not be just in throwing us all in the pit?

Secondly, wouldn't God be just if he just made perfect humans?

Upvote 0

TheImmortalJellyfish

Unnaturally elected...
Oct 20, 2014
✟8,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Firstly, you're saying God would not be just in throwing us all in the pit?

Secondly, wouldn't God be just if he just made perfect humans?

Good questions.

1. Yes, God would be just in throwing us all in the pit. But He would not be merciful or loving.

2. God does not want automatons. He wants a personal relationship with us - the likes of which we come willingly to understand His justice and mercy and appreciate it. He wants us to be willing...not programmed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Good questions.

1. Yes, God would be just in throwing us all in the pit. But He would not be merciful or loving.

Is it possible God chose love and mercy over justice?

2. God does not want automatons. He wants a personal relationship with us - the likes of which we come willingly to understand His justice and mercy and appreciate it. He wants us to be willing...not programmed.

God was unable to create perfect non-automatons? God was unable to create a human to His standards? When you get to heaven do you become an automaton?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody wants to put forth the possibility that calling God just or unjust may be committing a category error?

...by whose standard of justice? And what makes their standard the correct one by which to 'measure' God?

Upvote 0