How Do You Say "Christian" In Hebrew?....

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, suppose I wished to name my son the Hebrew word for Christian, should I name them "Notsri?"

You would be naming your son after watchers from the mountains of Samaria and Ephraim. Would you want people to think your son was brought up in mount Ephraim? Can anything good come from northern Samaria and the southern portions of the lower Galilees? :D

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You would be naming your son after watchers from the mountains of Samaria and Ephraim. Would you want people to think your son was brought up in mount Ephraim? Can anything good come from northern Samaria and the southern portions of the lower Galilees? :D
Well than, if I wanted to name my son the Hebrew word for "Christian," what do I name him?

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you did, it would be really weird. "Christian" is a name transliterated into Hebrew from other languages as כריסטיאן - such as the actor כריסטיאן בייל Christian Bale. Calling a child "Notsri" is just odd.
Well Christian is a good name, I have it, but say I wish to name my future child the Hebrew word for Christian, if "Notsri" is an odd name, is there something better which would mean a follower of Yeshua Ha'mashiach (Jesus Christ)? You have the word Christ, which means Messiah or Mashiach, the word for "follower of Christ," is Christian. Is there a hebrew word which means "follower of Mashiach?"

Reactions: daq
Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is Natsarim any better??? :scratch:
Plus, doesn't "Natsarim" in itself only mean "Nazarene" or something along the lines of that? I am talking about a word in hebrew which pretty much just means "follower of mashiach," like the word "Christian" does.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is Natsarim any better??? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure Yonah will tell you that notserim and natsarim are essentially the same, (if you mean from natsar which is from where notserim derives). :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Plus, doesn't "Natsarim" in itself only mean "Nazarene" or something along the lines of that? I am talking about a word in hebrew which pretty much just means "follower of mashiach," like the word "Christian" does.

Christianos is probably like saying Messianic but the in the passage where it is first used, at Antioch, it appears to have been given by divine oracle, (χρηματιζω-χρηματισαι), of some sort.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Yeshu (ישו ) Yeshua ---ma'aritz (מעריץ) follower-- Close as I can find----Yeshua follower Or---Mashiach ma'aritz---Messiah follower, Either way, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeshu (ישו ) Yeshua ---ma'aritz (מעריץ) follower-- Close as I can find----Yeshua follower Or---Mashiach ma'aritz---Messiah follower, Either way, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue!
Then isn't the more accurate hebrew word(s) for Christian, "Mashiach ma'aritz?"

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Why not then simply talmid of Yeshua or Meshiach talmid, (disciple of Yeshua or disciple of Messiah)? But neither do those seem as if they should be used for proper names. It is also interesting that in the LXX, (Old Greek versions), in Habakkuk 3:13 we read "τους χριστους", which appears to mean that whoever rendered that passage into Greek was reading it, (plural), as if to say, "anointed ones", ("your anointed ones" from the context).

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why not then simply talmid of Yeshua or Meshiach talmid, (disciple of Yeshua or disciple of Messiah)? But neither do those seem as if they should be used for proper names. It is also interesting that in the LXX, (Old Greek versions), in Habakkuk 3:13 we read "τους χριστους", which appears to mean that whoever rendered that passage into Greek was reading it, (plural), as if to say, "anointed ones", ("your anointed ones" from the context).
So is my son's name Mashiach ma'aritz Black? Mashiach Talmid Black? Or is there an even better hebrew word that means the same as "Christian?" Perhaps a Hebrew word with a suffix that means "follower or disciple of," like the English "ian or an?" The word "Mashiach" with a prefix or suffix that means "follower of?"

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Then isn't the more accurate hebrew word(s) for Christian, "Mashiach ma'aritz?"

How should I know!!!! I'm not Jewish!! I don't know Hebrew!!---Yeshua I would think would be more the word for Jesus. Can't really find a Hebrew word for Christ so far. When you put it into Babylon, it comes up --no results found. I would think Jesus follower would be more accurate than Messiah follower--but both mean the same to us, but certainly not to a non Messianic Jew. He was not their Messiah, but He was a Yeshua.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How should I know!!!! I'm not Jewish!! I don't know Hebrew!!---Yeshua I would think would be more the word for Jesus. Can't really find a Hebrew word for Christ so far. When you put it into Babylon, it comes up --no results found. I would think Jesus follower would be more accurate than Messiah follower--but both mean the same to us, but certainly not to a non Messianic Jew. He was not their Messiah, but He was a Yeshua.
Well then I am not speaking to you my friend, I am speaking to someone who DOES know Hebrew :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well then I am not speaking to you my friend, I am speaking to someone who DOES know Hebrew :)

LOL--I've looked for this for several years and this is the closest I can find from looking at Jewish websites and dictionaries.
You are free to bury it! I'll check back in to see if anyone has found anything else. It's been 10 years of looking! I'd like to know if someone finds something else.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟15,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LOL--I've looked for this for several years and this is the closest I can find from looking at Jewish websites and dictionaries.
You are free to bury it! I'll check back in to see if anyone has found anything else. It's been 10 years of looking! I'd like to know if someone finds something else.
Alrighty then, God bless :)

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do believe the term for Christians among Judaism continues to be Notzrim. Some may understand it as a derogatory name but I think perhaps most do not care either way anymore and it simply is what it is. Also, in Acts 24:5, the sect of Paul, ("Christianity") is called the sect of the Nazarenes, (Nazoraios). :)

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's נוֹצְרִי notsri (nohts-REE).

It's from the verb נָצַר natsar, which is a synonym of שָׁמַר shamar, meaning "keep, guard, watch."

Going back I now see that Yonah already said these things at the beginning , (2011?). :)

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why am i seeming a bunch of html code in this thread?

נוצרי

Because the thread is from 2011, (before the forum changeover). What you are seeing is not actually html code but rather unicode font designation code-numbers. Apparently for some reason when they switched the forum format everything that was in Hebrew or Greek, (unicode fonts), switched to the default keystroke number designations. I bet they racked their brains trying to fix that one because there are surely thousands of old threads were this must have occurred. In other words it probably cannot be corrected but who would resurrect a thread from 2011 anyways? (oops, did I say that out loud, [just kidding]). :D

Upvote 0