How Do You Say "Christian" In Hebrew?....

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Or encounter an ass of a theo opponent; one that throws insults without thinking, then qualifiers are waived. But I am bloody jewish, thats for sure...;)

Its a big question and i dont have time right now, if you wish, in a day or so? Maybe make another thread?
Even though this one seems like a nice shuk hapishpeshim, people discuss anything here:thumbsup:

Naw...No rush. I was just looking for a clarification.

It's great to have you here!!! :)

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd agree with his general claims in that article, though. נצרתי natsrati looks like a good form for "someone from Nazareth." He made the one mistake at the top (notsrit), but apart from that, he's laid out pretty good information.

easy to determine now, huh? Jew - Natzrat-Ilit, Muslim or Christian -would be from Natzrat. "Location is everything" as real estate agents say

P S Thax, rcduncan :) will talk later. This is a good, very blessed forum. PEople are friendly,not a perpetual combat - default state of all relig forums

Upvote 0

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
:D:D smart alec :) actually i NEVER heard it applied to christians, well, not in my presence, at least

Actually the letters OP used don't spell minim, there's no mem in the word.
What he spelled out was gimmel vav ayin resh yud, without vowel markings I have no idea how that is pronounced.
I went to 2 different Hebrew vocabulary websites and couldn't find that particular word listed.
Any idea what it is? Thanks.
If I ever make it to Israel, the only thing I'll be able to say for sure is "ani lo mevinah 'ivrit!"

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I actually listened to a sermon yesterday online. It was from Moriel Ministries with Jacob Prasch. You can read and listen to it here. It's all about the formation of Christian cults, and I think it would make you think about what you've just asked.

From the standard Christian perspective, what you've just described is no more Christian than Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons, and these are not even standard Christian cults. There are cults within Christianity (Prasch mentions Kenneth Copeland and Kenneth Hagin as examples of cult leaders who came from within Christianity - and represent examples of those who are really Christian but also veered off into cult status). He does a good run-down of what makes a cult leader, and I think listening to it was beneficial.

(Mind you, I find his site hard to tolerate, since he advocates keeping Torah specifically for the purposes of evangelizing Jews, which I disagree with.)

Exactly.

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually the letters OP used don't spell minim, there's no mem in the word.
What he spelled out was gimmel vav ayin resh yud, without vowel markings I have no idea how that is pronounced.
I went to 2 different Hebrew vocabulary websites and couldn't find that particular word listed.
Any idea what it is? Thanks.
If I ever make it to Israel, the only thing I'll be able to say for sure is "ani lo mevinah 'ivrit!"

no, OP didnt talk about minim at all , the other fellow did mention it ;)

where do you see gimmel, sweetheart ? OP said - and Yonah the Best Linguistic Teacher In the Universe did discusss it- the word
נוצרי
what is the first letter here, tell me please? :)

Dont worry you will manage with basic english and a few dead presidents; just fine.

PS on a side note -now's your sleep, btw, sister? I remember you complianing about it. have you tried melatonin? helps to bring you back to normal sleeping patterns,in a few nights.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
no, OP didnt talk about minim at all , the other fellow did mention it ;)

where do you see gimmel, sweetheart ? OP said - and Yonah the Best Linguistic Teacher In the Universe did discusss it- the word
נוצרי
what is the first letter here, tell me please? :)

Dont worry you will manage with basic english and a few dead presidents; just fine.

PS on a side note -now's your sleep, btw, sister? I remember you complianing about it. have you tried melatonin? helps to bring you back to normal sleeping patterns,in a few nights.

It looked like a gimmel to me (bad eyesight) but it could be bet. Even as a bet or vet, I cannot handle Hebrew without vowel markings!! I'm just awed by all of you guys who can read it sans vowels.

My sleep has always been "off." Even in grammar school, I would be awake till well after 1-2am!! I'll try melatonin, is it a liquid, or vitamins?

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's pretty common early on to mistake between ע and צ as well as between ג and נ. They're definitely different letters, though. :)

people do? oh well, no biggie.Uncle Udi mistook some floozie for his wife at my bat mitzvah, and they were much less alike the these letters.. Floozie looked like "samech" and auntie rather like a rather very bony "noon" That was a real problem! But the letters... forgivable.
Yedida, dont lose heart, keep studying and you will get it all right, dear one

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ktav haser - the way of writing without vowels - is hard to understand for a newbie and even a experienced newbie. Someone very wicked invented it to make life hard for honest students like you :)

Melatonin is something in pill form, i use it for flights/changing time zones. Works well, sells over the counter. Read a bit about it, maybe you might want to try ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
people do? oh well, no biggie.Uncle Udi mistook some floozie for his wife at my bat mitzvah, and they were much less alike the these letters.. Floozie looked like "samech" and auntie rather like a rather very bony "noon" That was a real problem! But the letters... forgivable.
Yedida, dont lose heart, keep studying and you will get it all right, dear one

Ooops so I missed that one too? I'm gonna have to quit looking at the letters on the internet!! They are all sooooo small, even with my Mr. Magoo magnifier they are too small to distinguish!! And they are not constant from one font style to another (I think that's my biggest problem after bad eyesight which 7 years ago was 100/200). I won't give up though, I love the language too much. It's awesome!!

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It looked like a gimmel to me (bad eyesight) but it could be bet. Even as a bet or vet, I cannot handle Hebrew without vowel markings!! I'm just awed by all of you guys who can read it sans vowels.

My sleep has always been "off." Even in grammar school, I would be awake till well after 1-2am!! I'll try melatonin, is it a liquid, or vitamins?

נוצרי is nun-vav-tsadi-resh-yod. There's no bet, no gimel and no ayin in the word. It's pointed as נוֹצְרִי notsri.

The more you read Hebrew, the better you become -- even without vowels. Also, I would suggest two books for learning Hebrew without vowels: (1) A Textbook of Israeli Hebrew by Haim Rosen and (2) Hebrew from Scratch. Do that, and you'll catch on. :)

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
נוצרי is nun-vav-tsadi-resh-yod. There's no bet, no gimel and no ayin in the word. It's pointed as נוֹצְרִי notsri.

The more you read Hebrew, the better you become -- even without vowels. Also, I would suggest two books for learning Hebrew without vowels: (1) A Textbook of Israeli Hebrew by Haim Rosen and (2) Hebrew from Scratch. Do that, and you'll catch on. :)

:blush: I guess I do need help. Even after using the Mr Magoo I missed the first letter!! That was just common forgetfulness, didn't even consider nun!! I've been out of Hebrew lessons for so long now that I'm forgetting what little I had learned. .....and the violins play on......
Thanks for the suggestions, gonna find them and bookmark the pages for when I have the cash.

Upvote 0

Desert Rose

Sep 1, 2009
✟9,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yonah is just being too shy! at the rate gas goes up if you want to have spare cash you will need to trade the car in for a mule, yedida.
So before you buy books - Yonah has some great free online resources, cover those first. He is a very gifted teacher( i am being sincere, I am not flirting with him!)

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yonah is just being too shy! at the rate gas goes up if you want to have spare cash you will need to trade the car in for a mule, yedida.
So before you buy books - Yonah has some great free online resources, cover those first. He is a very gifted teacher( i am being sincere, I am not flirting with him!)

Well, I do know that he's an excellent teacher. I've pm'ed him numerous times on Hebrew questions and always get an answer that is complete and easily understood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If only I had a complete online grammar with exercises and helps that I could distribute. I'd love to be able to just refer you to that type of resource, but I don't have it yet. I get distracted. Right now, for instance, I'm studying Greek with the Athenaze textbook - finished level 1 in two weeks!!! My study group will begin level 2 of Athenaze after maybe a month's break (for review and refreshment). I'm also translating my way through the Apologia Sokrates in Greek. I've been working on my own Greek knowledge rather than building Hebrew exercises.

I'm also in a Hebrew book reading club here in Israel. We're working on the novel הנערה במרפסת ממול, and we read about 50 pages a week and meet every other Monday for discussion and more reading. Our next book is יונה ונער, which I've bought but haven't opened yet. I've heard parts of it are kinda sick.

I participate in my synagogue's chorus every Wednesday, leading the tenor section. That gives me some nice diversion, and I get to listen through my recordings every week to practice outside.

I'm a crazy movie enthusiast, so when I'm not studying or singing (not to mention working and administering my own forum!!), I'm watching some new movie or catching up on the most recent episode of Glee.

The result is that I don't have a load of time to devote to developing Hebrew resources right now. I feel kinda guilty for giving these excuses, but I end up with not much free time at all, especially because I just feel compelled to post on a few forum communities and join in all the excitement of the various places on the 'Net.

One of these days....... My site will be complete, and you'll have a decent Hebrew grammar with loads of exercises and helps. Be'ezrat HaShem!

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If only I had a complete online grammar with exercises and helps that I could distribute. I'd love to be able to just refer you to that type of resource, but I don't have it yet. I get distracted. Right now, for instance, I'm studying Greek with the Athenaze textbook - finished level 1 in two weeks!!! My study group will begin level 2 of Athenaze after maybe a month's break (for review and refreshment). I'm also translating my way through the Apologia Sokrates in Greek. I've been working on my own Greek knowledge rather than building Hebrew exercises.

I'm also in a Hebrew book reading club here in Israel. We're working on the novel הנערה במרפסת ממול, and we read about 50 pages a week and meet every other Monday for discussion and more reading. Our next book is יונה ונער, which I've bought but haven't opened yet. I've heard parts of it are kinda sick.

I participate in my synagogue's chorus every Wednesday, leading the tenor section. That gives me some nice diversion, and I get to listen through my recordings every week to practice outside.

I'm a crazy movie enthusiast, so when I'm not studying or singing (not to mention working and administering my own forum!!), I'm watching some new movie or catching up on the most recent episode of Glee.

The result is that I don't have a load of time to devote to developing Hebrew resources right now. I feel kinda guilty for giving these excuses, but I end up with not much free time at all, especially because I just feel compelled to post on a few forum communities and join in all the excitement of the various places on the 'Net.

One of these days....... My site will be complete, and you'll have a decent Hebrew grammar with loads of exercises and helps. Be'ezrat HaShem!

Sounds quite well-rounded! :)

Do you play any musical instruments? I play a little viola and violin - not great, but bearable. Being a Finale 2007 user definitely helps. I like to play works of Johann Sebastian Bach, Alan Hovhaness and Tomás Luis de Victoria. My singing voice is decent - second tenor...

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's נוֹצְרִי notsri (nohts-REE).

It's from the verb נָצַר natsar, which is a synonym of שָׁמַר shamar, meaning "keep, guard, watch."
Well, suppose I wished to name my son the Hebrew word for Christian, should I name them "Notsri?"

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I didn't read the whole article--just saw some interesting things.
I don't know much about this site either and can't vouch for authenticity---somebody might want to research--Sorry, but right now, I got a headache!

"He is a ringleader of the Natsarim sect, and even tried to desecrate the Temple; so we seized him." Acts 24:5 Commonly the word Natsarim is mis-spelled "Nazarene". (complete context is below).

The term "Christos" is Greek, and is defined as meaning "anointed". Although it is treated as a translation for theHebrew word "Mashiak", its use in the Greek language is derived from a completely different application. So different, that it would be like associating the English word "bird" with the Hebrew term for woman, ashah. "Bird" is often used in England to refer to a woman. The term Christos was more of a medicalterm, because healers in the Greek culture used all manner of tinctures for various ailments; some taken internally,and others used topically. The first two letters in "Christos" are CHI + RHO, and appear as X (CHI) and P (RHO). If you put these together, they form the "R-X" symbol used by the apothecary trade, who mix and weigh dosages of medication for the sick.
The Greeks' tongue blended sounds in strange ways, producing combinations like "DZ" and others.

As early as 200 BCE, there were Pagan worshippers of Serapis that called themselves "Christians".

http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/christian.html

Upvote 0