How Do You Say "Christian" In Hebrew?....

May 2, 2016
United States
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because the thread is from 2011, (before the forum changeover). What you are seeing is not actually html code but rather unicode font designation code-numbers. Apparently for some reason when they switched the forum format everything that was in Hebrew or Greek, (unicode fonts), switched to the default keystroke number designations. I bet they racked their brains trying to fix that one because there are surely thousands of old threads were this must have occurred. In other words it probably cannot be corrected but who would resurrect a thread from 2011 anyways? (oops, did I say that out loud, [just kidding]). :D
Because the thread is from 2011, (before the forum changeover). What you are seeing is not actually html code but rather unicode font designation code-numbers. Apparently for some reason when they switched the forum format everything that was in Hebrew or Greek, (unicode fonts), switched to the default keystroke number designations. I bet they racked their brains trying to fix that one because there are surely thousands of old threads were this must have occurred. In other words it probably cannot be corrected but who would resurrect a thread from 2011 anyways? (oops, did I say that out loud, [just kidding]). :D
It was me who resurrected this thread from 2011, just today, there hadn't been any replies on this post since 2011 until today, because of me, I just discovered that this website and thread existed today as well, I had never commented on it before until today, and I did it because I found it online while googling "how to say Christian in hebrew."

Reactions: daq
Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Christian Black said:
It was me who resurrected this thread from 2011, just today, there hadn't been any replies on this post since 2011 until today, because of me, I just discovered that this website and thread existed today as well, I had never commented on it before until today, and I did it because I found it online while googling "how to say Christian in hebrew."
And, the answer is as yonah responded years ago, as daq discovered, nostri, or nostrim.

The fact that you want to use the term for a personal Jewish name is what is presenting your problem though. I'm not aware of any time in Jewish history where a person used a name that meant one was 'messiah-like'. Especially in reference to Yeshua. You will have to construct one of your own.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2016
United States
✟7,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And, the answer is as yonah responded years ago, as daq discovered, nostri, or nostrim.

The fact that you want to use the term for a personal Jewish name is what is presenting your problem though. I'm not aware of any time in Jewish history where a person used a name that meant one was 'messiah-like'. Especially in reference to Yeshua. You will have to construct one of your own.
I am responsible for restarting the thread, booting up the old washplant, last used 2011, I had never commented on this thread before until today, and it was because I looked up "Hebrew word for Christian" on google, and this is what I got. I am not asking for something that means "messiah-like," I am asking for something that means "messiah-follower," or "disciple of the messiah." Like the Greek word "Christian" does. Christ-ian, if only Mashiach-an, lol :) could that work? You are a messianic follower of Yeshua right @Shimshon ? I was told by Mr. Yonah that "Nostri" or "nostrim" would be a weird name for a person, yet "Christian" is a normal, average name. So what about something else like "Mashiachan" or something realistic that means "disciple of the messiah" like "Christian" does, and is not only in reference to Nazareth or Nazarene, like "nostri" is.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't read the whole article--just saw some interesting things.
I don't know much about this site either and can't vouch for authenticity---somebody might want to research--Sorry, but right now, I got a headache!

"He is a ringleader of the Natsarim sect, and even tried to desecrate the Temple; so we seized him." Acts 24:5 Commonly the word Natsarim is mis-spelled "Nazarene". (complete context is below).

The term "Christos" is Greek, and is defined as meaning "anointed". Although it is treated as a translation for theHebrew word "Mashiak", its use in the Greek language is derived from a completely different application. So different, that it would be like associating the English word "bird" with the Hebrew term for woman, ashah. "Bird" is often used in England to refer to a woman. The term Christos was more of a medicalterm, because healers in the Greek culture used all manner of tinctures for various ailments; some taken internally,and others used topically. The first two letters in "Christos" are CHI + RHO, and appear as X (CHI) and P (RHO). If you put these together, they form the "R-X" symbol used by the apothecary trade, who mix and weigh dosages of medication for the sick.
The Greeks' tongue blended sounds in strange ways, producing combinations like "DZ" and others.

As early as 200 BCE, there were Pagan worshippers of Serapis that called themselves "Christians".

http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/christian.html

Natsarim is a form that cannot exist in Hebrew - because the first syllable would be reduced - that is, nəṣārîm rather than nāṣārîm.

Ashah is not the Hebrew word for "woman." It should be ishah - ʾiššā(h) in academic transcription.

What you think is an odd combination (like DZ) may not be odd to the speaker of another language. In fact, by the Koine period, the letter ζ had already become the z sound (not dz of the Erasmian pronunciation). In the classical period, it was probably zd rather than dz, anyway.

Where did you study biblical languages that you have the authority to speak with such confidence on these issues?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Natsarim is a form that cannot exist in Hebrew - because the first syllable would be reduced - that is, nəṣārîm rather than nāṣārîm.

Ashah is not the Hebrew word for "woman." It should be ishah - ʾiššā(h) in academic transcription.

What you think is an odd combination (like DZ) may not be odd to the speaker of another language. In fact, by the Koine period, the letter ζ had already become the z sound (not dz of the Erasmian pronunciation). In the classical period, it was probably zd rather than dz, anyway.

Where did you study biblical languages that you have the authority to speak with such confidence on these issues?

:ahah:^_^ Authority??--confidence??? ^_^

How should I know!!!! I'm not Jewish!! I don't know Hebrew!!---Yeshua I would think would be more the word for Jesus. Can't really find a Hebrew word for Christ so far. When you put it into Babylon, it comes up --no results found. I would think Jesus follower would be more accurate than Messiah follower--but both mean the same to us, but certainly not to a non Messianic Jew. He was not their Messiah, but He was a Yeshua.

LOL--I've looked for this for several years and this is the closest I can find from looking at Jewish websites and dictionaries.
You are free to bury it! I'll check back in to see if anyone has found anything else. It's been 10 years of looking! I'd like to know if someone finds something else.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is Natsarim any better??? :scratch:
The problem is that natsarim isn't a real word in Hebrew. I already explained this here. The word נצרים would be pointed as נְצָרִים nəṣārîm, with a reduced vowel in the first syllable first syllable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeshu (ישו ) Yeshua ---ma'aritz (מעריץ) follower-- Close as I can find----Yeshua follower Or---Mashiach ma'aritz---Messiah follower, Either way, doesn't exactly roll off the tongue!
The word מעריץ is more generally a "fan" of something. In order to say a "fan of Messiah," it would be backwards from how you've got it. That is, מעריץ המשיח ma'arits ha-mashiach. That doesn't mean "Christian," however. I really do suggest that you just transliterate it as כריסטיאן.

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just thought your comment was funny in view of the things I had said. Didn't know if you were serious or being sarcastic!
Oh, I was being serious. You were making the statement that, for example, ashah means "woman" in Hebrew. You should have said something like "from what I have found online, it seems to me that ashah is the Hebrew word for 'woman.'" I would then tell you that what you were reading was wrong. However, you simply stated that this was the case - with confidence. But, it's wrong. That's just one example of the issues of that post.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I was being serious. You were making the statement that, for example, ashah means "woman" in Hebrew. You should have said something like "from what I have found online, it seems to me that ashah is the Hebrew word for 'woman.'" I would then tell you that what you were reading was wrong. However, you simply stated that this was the case - with confidence. But, it's wrong. That's just one example of the issues of that post.

You're right--Thank you---I'll try to word things more accurately next time!

Upvote 0

yonah_mishael

הֱיֵה קודם כל בן אדם
Jun 14, 2009
Tel Aviv, Israel
Visit site
✟27,173.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're right--Thank you---I'll try to word things more accurately next time!
Are you going to go with כְּרִיסְטִיאָן for "Christian?" The funny thing is that נֽוֹצְרִי nôṣərî [notsri] could also be a direct synonym of שֽׁוֹמְרִי šômərî [shomri], which is generally a name for God -- that is, "my keeper" or "my guardian."

Upvote 0