UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
I usually use my tongue and kneel, but sometimes I feel nervous to kneel in some churches without kneelers, because I don't want to cause a fuss for a priest (what if he has a bad back?!) I know I'm entitled to kneel but I really don't want to cause a fuss. Christ knows my heart and knows my desire to kneel, so I don't see that a big deal if there are no kneelers

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I usually use my tongue and kneel, but sometimes I feel nervous to kneel in some churches without kneelers, because I don't want to cause a fuss for a priest (what if he has a bad back?!) I know I'm entitled to kneel but I really don't want to cause a fuss. Christ knows my heart and knows my desire to kneel, so I don't see that a big deal if there are no kneelers

My understanding is that, if you kneel, the priest can not refuse you, but should instruct you afterwards if possible, on why that receiving as the rest of the congregation does, is the proper.

To me, if you kneel without a kneeler or at an altar rail, you much lower than the priest and he has to bend over to give you communion.

Also, you run the risk of tripping some one else as your legs are stick out behind you, which they don't expect to happen.

Either way, it's how the majority of the congregation receives that should be observed, in order not to make yourself stand out. It's actually and act of humility.

Jim

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I would gently remind you that CaH lives and worships in the UK .

When ever I have been to Mass here [ not often I'll admit ] I have seen people who stand and people who kneel and there have never been any obvious problems.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
Well, I had the intention to go to Mass tonight but there was no priest! So we have a Lay-led Eucharistic service?!?!? It was extremely alien to me, I've never experienced it, and receiving communion from a woman reminded me of being back in the Anglican Church... I wish I didn't receive at this service, but the body of Christ, is the body of Christ

Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
During my first three months as Catholic, I received it in my hands. From that moment on, I do it in the tongue. I make a reverence with my head.

Sometimes I go to Heralds of the Gospel, and they have kneelers to receive Communion. Their Mass is more "traditional" though still N.O., and they are rigorous with the liturgy. I like going to their Mass. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, I had the intention to go to Mass tonight but there was no priest! So we have a Lay-led Eucharistic service?!?!? It was extremely alien to me, I've never experienced it, and receiving communion from a woman reminded me of being back in the Anglican Church... I wish I didn't receive at this service, but the body of Christ, is the body of Christ
Lay-led Eucharistic service... hmm...... wasn't it more a Celebration of the Word with Communion?

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Standing and in the hand ~ even though I'm young, it would still be hard for me to get down on my knees and back up quickly enough. Also, I don't like people putting their hands by my face for any reason (I tolerate my husband touching my cheek with his hands) so I prefer to receive in my hand.

I know some will make the argument the best way- the most respectful way- would be kneeling and in the mouth. Lord forgive me if I may be doing it wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here is the proper way to receive - in the Tridentine Mass - you 'must' kneel to receive.

In the Norvus Ordo you 'must' stand to receive.

I receive by tongue... i like the ancient custom of not touching the Eucharist. Straight into my being. Because i attend NO - i must stand.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think I should start doing standing and receiving it on the hand because I have a tongue like a cow. Always some nun asks me if I'm a Kiss fan.
Someone giving Communion missed my mouth this week. :D But we got it in there eventully. ;)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,730.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here is the proper way to receive - in the Tridentine Mass - you 'must' kneel to receive.

In the Norvus Ordo you 'must' stand to receive.

I receive by tongue... i like the ancient custom of not touching the Eucharist. Straight into my being. Because i attend NO - i must stand.

Correction - the US Bishops have said that they wish you to stand to Receive

It is NOT the NO Mass - it is the normative Mass - it is the Ordinary Form as distinct from the Extraordinary Form [ i.e. Tridentine ]

Please also remember that the OP is NOT in the USA - I have no idea what the Bishops Conference for England and Wales have asked for as the way to Receive.

Upvote 0