Do you think priests should announce before distributing Holy Communion that if you have any unconfessed mortal sin you can't receive the Eucharist?

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like some of the posts I see in r/Catholicism and felt like they're worth reposting here as conversation starters. Here's the OP's question from there:

I often wonder about this. Before I knew much about Church teaching, I didn’t know you couldn’t receive Holy Communion if you hadn’t been to confession for a mortal sin committed. Because the catechesis is so poor in some places, I’m guessing many Catholics are currently where I was. I even heard one woman say that confession was “Not a thing anymore,” I’m guessing the priests are probably aware of how poor things are, so I wonder if they should be responsible for instructing people about this? 1 Corinthians 11:29 speaks on the importance of discerning before partaking in the Eucharist and the judgement that occurs if not done. I know the majority of people in my parish probably haven’t been to confession in months, maybe years. I’m not trying to judge, it’s just the truth and in some cases may not even be their fault because they just don’t know they have to go. So what do you think, should the priest announce that anyone with a mortal sin cannot partake in communion or not?

This is something I think about a lot at Mass. Sometimes I even question my own family's choices to go forward, because they go to confession less often than I do (I don't say that to sound pious, I just have reason to go as often as possible, perhaps they don't). It might be the most important area of catechesis a priest could do from the pulpit since who knows how many people are wrongly coming forward to receive, even just by mistakenly identifying a sin as venial when maybe it's mortal.

Reactions: RileyG

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that priests often talk about to receive or not during funerals and weddings. I’ve often thought a reminder should be done at Mass as well.

I do not think people will be responsible if the go up out of ignorance.

As far as instructing others, it might be something you’d want to discuss with your priest.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know that priests often talk about to receive or not during funerals and weddings. I’ve often thought a reminder should be done at Mass as well.

I do not think people will be responsible if the go up out of ignorance.

As far as instructing others, it might be something you’d want to discuss with your priest.
I think I remember one of my priests saying something at the midnight Mass for this past Christmas, so perhaps it's more common to see it at larger Masses when they know Catholics who don't normally attend Mass will be there.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I remember one of my priests saying something at the midnight Mass for this past Christmas, so perhaps it's more common to see it at larger Masses when they know Catholics who don't normally attend Mass will be there.
Exactly. But I do not think it would be a bad idea to do so in the regularly attended Catholic Mass as well. As you know, the Church does not catechize well and to practice teaching moments in normal situations that Catholics attend is not a bad idea.

I remember my first Mass was during Lent. A day before I started attending RCIA. A Methodist lady was there and was proceeding to go up to receive and told me to just go ahead and go up receive too. I refused. She looked at me like I had three heads but even then I knew not to receive the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exactly. But I do not think it would be a bad idea to do so in the regularly attended Catholic Mass as well. As you know, the Church does not catechize well and to practice teaching moments in normal situations that Catholics attend is not a bad idea.
I agree I kinda like the idea of injecting some catechesis into the homily or something.

I remember my first Mass was during Lent. A day before I started attending RCIA. A Methodist lady was there and was proceeding to go up to receive and told me to just go ahead and go up receive too. I refused. She looked at me like I had three heads but even then I knew not to receive the Eucharist.
I love that you weren't even in RCIA yet and you catechized her on the spot, that's amazing (and kinda hilarious).

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree I kinda like the idea of injecting some catechesis into the homily or something.

I love that you weren't even in RCIA yet and you catechized her on the spot, that's amazing (and kinda hilarious).
No the hilarious part is when I did not realize there were kneelers and I knelt on the floor and hit my chin on the pew. Nerves! :p

• Haha
Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No the hilarious part is when I did not realize there were kneelers and I knelt on the floor and hit my chin on the pew. Nerves! :p
BAHAHA I've been there... just on Ash Wednesday the church was so packed I had to sit up in the choir loft and... no kneelers. I felt like a toddler at the dinner table and I'm six feet tall!

• Haha
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I like some of the posts I see in r/Catholicism and felt like they're worth reposting here as conversation starters. Here's the OP's question from there:

This is something I think about a lot at Mass. Sometimes I even question my own family's choices to go forward, because they go to confession less often than I do (I don't say that to sound pious, I just have reason to go as often as possible, perhaps they don't). It might be the most important area of catechesis a priest could do from the pulpit since who knows how many people are wrongly coming forward to receive, even just by mistakenly identifying a sin as venial when maybe it's mortal.
Of course priests should instruct their people on a regular basis that they should first confess serious sin before getting in line for the Eucharist. Of course. There are too many of us who feel required to get in line for the Eucharist but have forgotten about confession. We need reminding. The other thing priests should do is announce that the Eucharist, though a medicine for the soul, is so serious that it is a toxin to the soul of the unrepentant.

But priests need to announce that they are offering confession more than fifteen minutes a week too. IF confession is important it should be important for priests to be available at convenient times to hear confession. The priest can announce extended hours and then read a book while waiting. They say they are too busy to read a good spiritual book. This would be a way of making time. The important thing is that confession be raised to an expectation.

The collapse of confession should have been the topic of one of pope Francis' synods rather than gender politics.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are too many of us who feel required to get in line for the Eucharist but have forgotten about confession
I never thought about that. That people might feel more pressure to receive Holy Communion than go to Confession, or maybe they just forget about the latter altogether.

The other thing priests should do is announce that the Eucharist, though a medicine for the soul, is so serious that it is a toxin to the soul of the unrepentant.
I've thought about that a lot, and would really like to hear it from the pulpit on a regular basis. Not to degrade the Eucharist, but in my mind it's kind of like Tapioca. A delicious dessert but if you ate it raw it'd be harmful.

The priest can announce extended hours and then read a book while waiting. They say they are too busy to read a good spiritual book. This would be a way of making time. The important thing is that confession be raised to an expectation.
It really saddens me that confession times get cut all over the place because priests and parishioners are prioritizing parish events of one sort or another. If something's a sacrament, it should have it's own priority tier. 6-7 years ago we had confession six days a week. They weren't long times, about 25mins before every evening Mass and an hour on Saturdays. I'm pretty sure just before I started going there they also had a Saturday morning confession time for an hour, making it two hours total on Saturdays. Now we're down to a half hour after the Spanish Mass on Wednesdays and an hour on Saturday afternoons before the Vigil Mass. It changed after my original priest (a former Legionary of Christ) left the parish. You can't tell people Confession is vital and then hide it under a bushel basket by only holding it twice a week or less.

And to your point it would probably do our priests a lot of good to spend their downtime in the confessional reading a spiritual book - or almost any book really. It's good for the brain, it could improve wellbeing and outlook and maybe recharge them a bit for the demands of their vocation.

The collapse of confession should have been the topic of one of pope Francis' synods rather than gender politics.
Absolutely. And if he won't do it I wish the USCCB would with their intentions of a Eucharistic Revival. Well it starts by making sure our disposition towards the Eucharist is right, so confession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I never thought about that. That people might feel more pressure to receive Holy Communion than go to Confession, or maybe they just forget about the latter altogether.

I've thought about that a lot, and would really like to hear it from the pulpit on a regular basis. Not to degrade the Eucharist, but in my mind it's kind of like Tapioca. A delicious dessert but if you ate it raw it'd be harmful.

It really saddens me that confession times get cut all over the place because priests and parishioners are prioritizing parish events of one sort or another. If something's a sacrament, it should have it's own priority tier. 6-7 years ago we had confession six days a week. They weren't long times, about 25mins before every evening Mass and an hour on Saturdays. I'm pretty sure just before I started going there they also had a Saturday morning confession time for an hour, making it two hours total on Saturdays. Now we're down to a half hour after the Spanish Mass on Wednesdays and an hour on Saturday afternoons before the Vigil Mass. It changed after my original priest (a former Legionary of Christ) left the parish. You can't tell people Confession is vital and then hide it under a bushel basket by only holding it twice a week or less.

And to your point it would probably do our priests a lot of good to spend their downtime in the confessional reading a spiritual book - or almost any book really. It's good for the brain, it could improve wellbeing and outlook and maybe recharge them a bit for the demands of their vocation.

Absolutely. And if he won't do it I wish the USCCB would with their intentions of a Eucharistic Revival. Well it starts by making sure our disposition towards the Eucharist is right, so confession.
I think there is an element of the need for confession in the USCCB plans. It should be a thing if it's not. Reverence for the Eucharist comes by seeing it as a blessing and not a right. As something to prepare for and not an expectation.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We're a medium sized parish with one priest and confession is four days a week. But there is a good turnout for Advent and Lent, confession is open for maybe seven hours at a time and he invites priests he thinks are good confessors. At Advent when I went there were three priests available at that time, option of face to face or screen.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,066.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
May I remind non-Catholic posters here that this is the Catholic Area and though non-Catholic posters are welcome they may not debate the teaching of the Catholic Church

Anhelyna - Senior Ambassador Member

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Only God can deny. Who are you to make that judgement, oh That's right i know what yours is and you think you have that right.
In the United States we have freedom to worship as we choose. You have no authority whatsoever to control the worship of other religions whether it be within a church building or not. Religions can set the rules they wish. For example, Catholics have different requirements for receiving the Holy Eucharist than do Eastern Orthodox, and thus out of respect we don't violate the procedures and rules of the other. If there is a special invitation from one to the other an agreement can be reached. Respect others.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
[Staff Edited Response to a Deleted Post]
Well I did ask whether it was appropriate to give communion to the unbaptized (no answer) or to deniers of the faith (no answer) or to a mafia hit man just before a job (no answer). I shouldn’t have asked. Oh, I asked what denomination too and of course no answer. Just a condemning ‘what gives you the right’ harangue. For the record as someone who does not distribute communion I am not denying communion to anyone either. Nor am I involved in setting any such policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

350015_0f282d4b538245f7d5ab333c90dad940.jpeg

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do you think priests should announce before distributing Holy Communion that if you have any unconfessed mortal sin you can't receive the Eucharist?
No, because anyone who knows what an "unconfessed mortal sin" is already knows what the priest is telling them. Those who don't know what it means need a fair bit of catechesis, not a one-liner.

I have seen priests at weddings and funerals announce that non-Catholics shouldn't receive, and that is a similar sort of thing that makes sense to me.

Upvote 0