Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Precious Blood must be consumed at the end of Holy Communion by ether the priest, deacon or Ministers of the Cup.

No consecrated wine is to be stored, unless for special reasons which a priest must obtain permission.

At least, that's my understanding. I'm open to correction by those with expertise on the issue.

Jim

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Precious Blood must be consumed at the end of Holy Communion by ether the priest, deacon or Ministers of the Cup.

No consecrated wine is to be stored, unless for special reasons which a priest must obtain permission.

At least, that's my understanding. I'm open to correction by those with expertise on the issue.

Jim

Completely correct, also from my experience! :)

Upvote 0

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I can honestly say, no word of a lie, in all the years i've gone to mass, i've not once seen anyone kneel to receive communion.

In school, we were just taught to receive standing up, in the hand. This is what has stuck with me ever since. I get too scared to receive on the tongue for fear of dropping it as I can be rather clumsy, so I just don't do it. I've also never seen an altar rail in any Church other than an Anglican one.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I receive Holy Communion on a spoon, the leavened bread miraculously changed into the Body of Christ, the RED wine (can't believe how our local Catholics use white wine, what the heck?!) transformed into the Blood of Our Lord, from the chalice onto the holy spoon. We then kiss the chalice and take the Antidiron blessed bread....

Upvote 0

Decanus

I don't even know anymore
Mar 21, 2012
West Midlands
✟40,647.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
the RED wine (can't believe how our local Catholics use white wine, what the heck?!)

I watched a BBC Documentary that's on at the moment called "Catholics" and one of the episodes focused on Children making their first Holy Communion here in England. They were given an unconsecrated taster of the bread and wine. The wine was white and I thought it was very odd.

Is this a new thing or....?

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I watched a BBC Documentary that's on at the moment called "Catholics" and one of the episodes focused on Children making their first Holy Communion here in England. They were given an unconsecrated taster of the bread and wine. The wine was white and I thought it was very odd.

Is this a new thing or....?

No, I've never seen red wine to be used at a Roman Catholic mass. Never ever since I've been attending masses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
No, I've never seen red wine to be used at a Roman Catholic mass. Never ever since I''ve been attending masses.

Interesting question. If I get to Sevenhill again I'll ask. Red wine is safer - more antibacterial.

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question. If I get to Sevenhill again I'll ask. Red wine is safer - more antibacterial.

Yes do that and then tell us. :)
However, my grandpa was a sexton for a long time and I've often been in the sacristy with him and helped him preparing the vestments for mass. And he only used white wine. Actually I was asking myself often why this is so, as red wine would fit better as blood. ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Depends on the alcohol content.

My parish uses a Sacramental Wine produced by a monastery somewhere.

It looks more like Madeira and actually taste good.

A parish nearby where my wife and myself sometimes attend Mass, the wine taste like watered down sweet wine. I'm almost afraid to receive it, for the alcohol content is so low, I doubt it kills germs left on the cup.

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Depends on the alcohol content.

My parish uses a Sacramental Wine produced by a monastery somewhere.

It looks more like Madeira and actually taste good.

A parish nearby where my wife and myself sometimes attend Mass, the wine taste like watered down sweet wine. I'm almost afraid to receive it, for the alcohol content is so low, I doubt it kills germs left on the cup.

Jim

No wine has a sufficient alcohol content for that alone to make much difference. The anti-bacterials are more important, and they are enhanced by the presence of alcohol and silver. Even heavily diluted a red wine is still powerfully antibacterial. For alcohol alone to be effective you need to be up towards 30%abv.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No wine has a sufficient alcohol content for that alone to make much difference. The anti-bacterials are more important, and they are enhanced by the presence of alcohol and silver. Even heavily diluted a red wine is still powerfully antibacterial. For alcohol alone to be effective you need to be up towards 30%abv.

Well I'll be darn, it's actually 70%. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_alcohol_concentration_is_required_to_kill_bacteria

But here's an interesting piece;

“Exposure to wine had a persistent antibacterial effect,” the authors wrote in their study, detailed in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. Prior to their research, the authors said the effects of wine against germs found in the mouth hadn’t been studied.

Red wines have stronger bacteria-fighting effects than white wine, although not by much. Curiously, the acidity and alcohol isn’t responsible for wine’s germ-fighting properties—instead, it’s a collection of organic (carbon-containing) compounds found in the drink.

After isolating the compounds from wine, which included lactic, malic, succinic and tartaric acids, the researchers neutralized their acidity. They then showed that the isolated antibacterial compounds were more successful than wine alone at killing 99.9 percent of the dental and sore throat bacteria, even when used in far lower concentrations than found in wine.Wine: Kills Germs on Contact | LiveScience
Jim

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

mg0086

Prospective Doctor of the Church
Dec 8, 2007
Stella Maris Chapel
Visit site
✟10,902.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually genuflect first then receive on the tongue. I feel my hands are too dirty (even if they are bio clean) to touch my savior's body. I also feel on the tongue is the quickest way to the heart^_^. Just an opinion tho...

One Easter during mass, this woman came up and took the host into her hand, carried it to the person serving the Precious Blood and dipped it in the cup like it was some kind of coffee.

The look on the man's face was priceless, as mine would've been. But in all seriousness, I don't think the Eucharist and the Precious Blood should be treated like a piece of sweet bread and coffee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I actually genuflect first then receive on the tongue. I feel my hands are too dirty (even if they are bio clean) to touch my savior's body. I also feel on the tongue is the quickest way to the heart^_^. Just an opinion tho...

One Easter during mass, this woman came up and took the host into her hand, carried it to the person serving the Precious Blood and dipped it in the cup like it was some kind of coffee.

The look on the man's face was priceless, as mine would've been. But in all seriousness, I don't think the Eucharist and the Precious Blood should be treated like a piece of sweet bread and coffee.

Dipping the body in the blood is very common here. I also used to do it, but stopped. As this is a sort of self service, as the blood is also to be given to you as is the body.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dipping the body in the blood is very common here. I also used to do it, but stopped. As this is a sort of self service, as the blood is also to be given to you as is the body.

It's forbidden.

The issue I have with it is, first off, the person is sticking their hand down into the cup that everyone is receiving from. Not very clearn.

Second, what happens if the host breaks off into the cup?

That being said, I asked my pastor what I as a minster of the cup should do, if a person comes up and wants to dip the host into the consecrated wine? He said, just let them do it. Don't make a scene over it.

Jim

Upvote 0

Esdra

Senior Contributor
Sep 18, 2011
Tyrol, Austria
✟29,267.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's forbidden.

The issue I have with it is, first off, the person is sticking their hand down into the cup that everyone is receiving from. Not very clearn.

Second, what happens if the host breaks off into the cup?

That being said, I asked my pastor what I as a minster of the cup should do, if a person comes up and wants to dip the host into the consecrated wine? He said, just let them do it. Don't make a scene over it.

Jim

Yes nobody actually addresses that... I doubt that many people are even aware of that. Despite usually only the body is served. At least in my area.

Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status

This is known as intinction. It is not permitted in the United States, but I think characterizing it as was done above is disrespectful to those places that practice it (including the Melkite and Coptic Catholic churches). They are our brother and sister Christians and their practices deserve respect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0