Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So i was thinking today, There a many people in this forum who are anti-Hillsong and One of the big Arguments it is believed that it's not a biblically based church.

I don't attend Hillsong but I am certainly not against it, I go to a Christian City Church and they have similar beliefs.

My question is to those who say Hillsong is not biblically based, where do you get this?

I'm yet to see anything come out of that church that isn't backed up by the bible.

I actually belive many traditional churches eg Catholics and Anglicans aren't very biblical based at all.

May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't have a problem with Hillsong per se...but as with any denomination they haven't got everything right. I can't speak of Hillsong as I've never been there, but with the pentecostal movement in general I have problems with:

1) Prosperity Doctorine
2) Indulgence in the "gift of tongues"
3) Indulgence in the self
4) Indulgence of world things.
5) Incorrect notion of the gift of tongues and its relation to Baptism of the Spirit and Water Baptism.

I have to point out some pentecostal churches may not have any problems with the above, but I disagree with this notion of chasing after the gift of tongues. Not every Christian can speak in tongues, and the gift of tongues does not edify the body but the self. Certainly when I first became a Christian, it was at a pentecostal church, so I only speak of what I experienced there. But I came on Sunday's to "recharge" and to get on a high. It comes to a point when that was all a pack of lies. The gospel is not about me, nor is it about you, its about Christ. The whole concept or worship was wrong. Worship isn't just in song, or in speaking in tongues. Worship is something that our lives are meant to be. Every second, every moment - is meant to be worship.

Also at that particular pentecostal church the belief was held by some members (I don't know, as I never spoke to the pastor about it), by my friend told me that if water baptism, baptism by the spirit, and the gift of tongues occur at the same time. If you don't speak in tongues, then something's wrong. That is completely wrong, and it creates tension in the church, plus freaks out those who aren't Christians visiting the church.

The whole prosperity doctrine is scary. I don't know who from reading the bible one can get the notion that "By giving, God will give back to you" This was repeated everytime at tithing time. The gospels have nothing to do with worldly treasures. It is totally unscriptural. It digusts me that there are massive productions, constant pampering of how God has blessed the church. We are not blessed to be proud over it. We are blessed to bless others. There was never once talk of the homeless, or those living in poverty overseas. It was more "Look at us, God likes us, look at all our money and flashy shows" Church wasn't church - it was a show. And it wasn't real. People put on there Sunday selves there. What is the exact purpose of a massive church building with smoke, stage, lights, good equipment? I don't see how it glorifies God - Jesus never had flashy clothing or anything like that. Nor did Jesus ever indulge himself, and but excuse me, He's God. He could have and there would have been nothing wrong with it. Yet he doesn't, but people do? I must say however, there are wonderful Christians from the church.

Also the indulgence in the Spirit encourages followers to follow after the Spirit but fail to actually back anything with scripture. The tongues are not the be all and end all of the gospel - and it is presented as such. Knowledge of the gospels is second to indulging in these tongues. The whole gospel becomes one of experience - which is totally stupid. The gospel isn't about physical experience. The gospel is about how we are redeemed by Christ and how we are to focus on him constantly. I do wonder how many "Sunday Christians" went to that church.

That is not to say other churches are completely correct either, but they are very obvious things that is not correct with pentecostals. I must point out I'm not attacking the gift of tongues, or the Holy Spirit that would be blasphemy of the Spirit. But I use to think I can speak in tongues when I was at that church, but I now can assure you I don't.

Reactions: sparassidae
Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sunday Christians go to every church, there are even some that only go at Christmas and Easter too. They are in every church not just the pentacostal ones.

I go to a Pentacostal church which is very similar style to Hillsong. I don't remember the last time I heard someone in there speak in tongues. It is certainly not something that happens every week.

I do believe that speaking in tongues can be used to edify the body, there is always tongues and interpretation where someone interprets the tongues that have been spoken.

Reactions: Kazamataz
Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have never attended any sort of pentecostal church, but the things I have heard from ex-members, plus seeing the things that are emphasised in their advertising, are very similar to what GodsoldierClintus described.

:thumbsup:

That is not to say that any denomination, congregation, or individual is perfect. Far from it.

But there's no way I could go to a church that preaches any prosperity gospel, or "you must speak in tongues to be a Christian", or second blessings etc.

btw, I go to a Sydney Anglican church atm..........considered the antichrist by many I know ;)

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Firstly thanks heaps for sharing your opinion.

Just to put a different point of view on some of the things you have said:

I have to point out some pentecostal churches may not have any problems with the above, but I disagree with this notion of chasing after the gift of tongues. Not every Christian can speak in tongues, and the gift of tongues does not edify the body but the self.
Also at that particular pentecostal church the belief was held by some members (I don't know, as I never spoke to the pastor about it), by my friend told me that if water baptism, baptism by the spirit, and the gift of tongues occur at the same time. If you don't speak in tongues, then something's wrong. That is completely wrong, and it creates tension in the church, plus freaks out those who aren't Christians visiting the church.

I would definatly agree with you on this one Speaking in tounges is not the be all and end. Many people are baptized with the Holy Spirit but never speak in tounges.
Hillsong and Most other Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive that you HAVE to speak in tounges nor do they belive it's central to your slavation or that you are weird/strange if you don't.

Having said that there are some very out there pentecostal churches that belive this and i would say they are boarding on cults.

Certainly when I first became a Christian, it was at a pentecostal church, so I only speak of what I experienced there. But I came on Sunday's to "recharge" and to get on a high. It comes to a point when that was all a pack of lies. The gospel is not about me, nor is it about you, its about Christ. The whole concept or worship was wrong. Worship isn't just in song, or in speaking in tongues. Worship is something that our lives are meant to be. Every second, every moment - is meant to be worship.

Again something else i would have to agree with, Church is not about getting on a high the church is for two main reasons, For people of the same faith to come together and fellowship.
And the MOST IMPORTANT reason is for them to help and reach out to all in their community and the world.

I think this is a mjor misconception about Pentecostal churches. To me it sounds like you've experianced a very scary Pentecostal church one of those ones i would say boarders on being a cult.

Worship is alot more free and it can appear that becuase people are jumping around and enjoying themselevs then they some how are getting on a high and thats the only reason they come to church.
This is not the point of worship at all the point is to worship God to come before him and praise him for all that He has done in your life and to give Him glory for all that He is.

If thats what was taught at the pentecostal church you attended i would have to agree that this is very wrong.

I haven't seen Hillsong or any of the main stream Pentecostal movements Preach this at all. To them Worship is totally for Glorifying God.

The whole prosperity doctrine is scary. I don't know who from reading the bible one can get the notion that "By giving, God will give back to you" This was repeated everytime at tithing time. The gospels have nothing to do with worldly treasures. It is totally unscriptural.

This is is an other HUGE misconception of the pentecostal church.

You don't give to get back "Worldly Treasures".

Malachi 3:8-12 NIV
......"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

You give first and foremost because everything you have comes from God. God is simply asking to give back what is rightfully His. Then if you do this God will look after you, That DOESN'T mean you will get a big fat check in the mail or a whole stack of money in your bank account.
It means you will never hungry, you won't left out in the cold, If you first trust Him then He will provide for you.

It never ceases to amaze how mis-understood this simply practise is.

Its not about giving to get and it's not essentail to your salvation. Its about giving back to your God the creator of the universe who without you would not be here.

It digusts me that there are massive productions, constant pampering of how God has blessed the church. We are not blessed to be proud over it. We are blessed to bless others. There was never once talk of the homeless, or those living in poverty overseas. It was more "Look at us, God likes us, look at all our money and flashy shows" Church wasn't church - it was a show. And it wasn't real. People put on there Sunday selves there. What is the exact purpose of a massive church building with smoke, stage, lights, good equipment? I don't see how it glorifies God - Jesus never had flashy clothing or anything like that. Nor did Jesus ever indulge himself, and but excuse me, He's God. He could have and there would have been nothing wrong with it. Yet he doesn't, but people do? I must say however, there are wonderful Christians from the church.

Well again an other misconception, Having good equipment, lights, stage, instruments is NOT about showing off or being flashy.

Its about bring the first fruits to God. Its about in everything you do, Do it with excellence and not just give God the crumy left overs.

Having said that Only churches who can afford to have these things should have them. I don't belive in a church going into debit just so they can "keep up with the jones" so to speak.

I think it's disgusting and totally wrong that many churches do things half arsed becuase they belive God has called them to be poor.

I would again have to agree that we are blessed to be a blessing and if you went to a pentecostal church that wasn't interested in helping the homeless, the sick or the poor. Then that church was totally missing the point.

Hillsong and most Pentecostal churches have a huge outward focus church is not about them and it is evident in all the missons trips, the charitys and communitys they are involved in.

That is not to say other churches are completely correct either, but they are very obvious things that is not correct with pentecostals. I must point out I'm not attacking the gift of tongues, or the Holy Spirit that would be blasphemy of the Spirit. But I use to think I can speak in tongues when I was at that church, but I now can assure you I don't.

Well I would again have to agree there not all pentecostal churches are perfect and they are problems in every church.
I think your problems with the pentecostal movement spring from the fact that you obviously attended a very off and strange pentecostal church. They however are not a true representation of the pentecostal movement.

Like i said above this is just an other side of the coin, If you don't agree that's totally cool. But I hope you've learnt something about the TRUE nature of the pentecostal church.

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Sunday Christians go to every church, there are even some that only go at Christmas and Easter too. They are in every church not just the pentacostal ones.

There are far more sunday christians in the traditional churches eg catholics, anglicans, ect then there are in Pentecostal churches.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are far more sunday christians in the traditional churches eg catholics, anglicans, ect then there are in Pentecostal churches.

I don't know about that. I grew up in the Anglican church and at times have been tempted to go back. My husband won't go to a traditional church though so that is why I don't go back.

I find a lot of the time in the traditional churches (I am referring to Anglican and I have also spent 12 months attending a Uniting church) I know at least one scripture will be referred to in the sermon, where as I have heard a lot of sermons in a pentacostal church that barely referred to the Bible at all. Also the way our church handles Christmas - I found it downright offensive last year. They didn't do a service on Christmas day OR Christmas eve, now Christmas day I can understand but to not have a service on Christmas eve, I find that unbelievable.

However saying that, I find that is my main problem with our pentacostal church, I rarely ever hear "prosperity teaching" I have never in 9 years of attending my church heard anyone say that you have to speak in tongues to be saved (or saying anything else that I believe to be against the Bible's teaching concerning tongues).

I do know of at least one church that does teach things concerning tongues that are incorrect (lol we encountered that church on our honeymoon, we thought it sounded great and went and had a look - we later did some research when we came back from our honeymoon and found they are a cult)

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about that. I grew up in the Anglican church and at times have been tempted to go back. My husband won't go to a traditional church though so that is why I don't go back.

I find a lot of the time in the traditional churches (I am referring to Anglican and I have also spent 12 months attending a Uniting church) I know at least one scripture will be referred to in the sermon, where as I have heard a lot of sermons in a pentacostal church that barely referred to the Bible at all. Also the way our church handles Christmas - I found it downright offensive last year. They didn't do a service on Christmas day OR Christmas eve, now Christmas day I can understand but to not have a service on Christmas eve, I find that unbelievable.

However saying that, I find that is my main problem with our pentacostal church, I rarely ever hear "prosperity teaching" I have never in 9 years of attending my church heard anyone say that you have to speak in tongues to be saved (or saying anything else that I believe to be against the Bible's teaching concerning tongues).

I do know of at least one church that does teach things concerning tongues that are incorrect (lol we encountered that church on our honeymoon, we thought it sounded great and went and had a look - we later did some research when we came back from our honeymoon and found they are a cult)
I think it's much easier to be a sunday christian in Catholic church because it doesn't matter what you do during the week as long as you go to confession on sunday and say your hail marys you'll be right! WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!

I would have to agree with the lack of prosperity preaching in most pentecostal churches. Its a HUGE misconception that, that is what it's all pentecostal churches are about. our church never talks about giving to get back.

The whole belief that you "need" to speak in tongues to be saved, Is NOT a belief held by the majority of pentecostal churches.

There are however some exceptions to the rule and those churches are boarding on cults!

Where do you go to church?

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So i was thinking today, There a many people in this forum who are anti-Hill song and One of the big Arguments it is believed that it's not a biblically based church.

Well since Iam new to this forum i cant be put in that group just yet!.

My question is to those who say Hill song is not biblically based, where do you get this?
:confused: Equally where are we told in either version of the bible that God told us to be rich! Even if there was such apostate bible ever printed in a Christian church then perhaps its not really even a church after all but some of entertainment or concert event!. B boomer's and there offspring claim many things about world including there plastic views of religion personally i couldn't care what any of them say when it comes to religion spirituality as they are pretty much collectively bankrupt when comes to both so glad my own parents aren't of that ilk.:scratch:

I'm yet to see anything come out of that church that isn't backed up by the bible.
You'd have to be joking Ive been HS and similar mega churches one does not even have to take a bible through the front door to begin with and many attendants are transient wanderers not even regular attendees week to week why else do you think they build them so big!.:D.
Personally i cant see much difference between mega churches and ten network pro gs like idol they pretty much do the same things and serve the same purpose Idol worship and emotional blackmail!:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
M

MOTHY

You know, I no longer attend church on a regular basis having been burnt by members of a 'Pentecostal' church. However, I don't have any problem whatsoever with their fundamental beliefs. I have always found them to be scripturally correct. Same for Hillsong IMO. Because some members behave in a manner that we don't agree with, that doesn't make the whole church suspect. On the whole, most pentecostal churches believe and teach the gospel according to their honest understanding. All churches on this earth will be prone to error and it is up to us to be discerning. Churches are made up of people and people are just people, whatever churches they are in....why can't everyone just appreciate the good that Hillsong does? I, personally just love their music.

Reactions: Kazamataz
Upvote 0

Labayu

Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
✟15,538.00
Faith
Christian
Hillsong and Most other Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive that you HAVE to speak in tounges nor do they belive it's central to your slavation or that you are weird/strange if you don't.

Having said that there are some very out there pentecostal churches that belive this and i would say they are boarding on cults.

Ooo, intresting but not quite true! In practice you are right about a lot of the Hillsongafied Australian pentacostal churches. In theory though they do believe that tounges is the inital sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit = no tounges, no Holy Spirit. They believe you can be saved but it's a less high performance Christianity if you don't speak in tounges (and that from the guy who can tell Brian Houston off if he disagree's with his theology!)

To be an Aussie AoG pastor (which some but not all Hillsong pastors are) you need to sign a declaration that this is your theology unless Brian Houston as head of the Aus AoG (or whatever their changing their name too) has managed to change it yet, and I know he's planning on pushing it through at some point.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is is an other HUGE misconception of the pentecostal church.

You don't give to get back "Worldly Treasures".

A "misconception"? Really? Says who? Well let me reliably inform you otherwise.

I was at a Pentecostal church once during my university years. It was a fairly large church with literally hundreds of members. Every service, there were 2 sermons. The main sermon, and before that, a mini sermon on giving. Ugh!! Man, I got sick of that money grubbing real quick let me tell you. Every damn week. Give give give.

So anyhoo, one particular night, the senior pastor was talking (during the main sermon) on giving. And he was talking about how giving unto "God" his 10% tithes and offerings would open up the windows of Heaven, (gee, how original). He stated quite emphatically that by your giving, you would be given back financially.

And then he said something that made my jaw drop. He said, and I quote word for word, "that is the reason why I give. I don't give for the kingdom of God, I give to get back".

I think that says it all.

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
WOW some pretty strong views there but thanks for sharing.

Well since Iam new to this forum i cant be put in that group just yet!.
That was a general comment and not pointed at anyone directly so no you or no one for that matter was put in that group.

:confused: Equally where are we told in either version of the bible that God told us to be rich! Even if there was such apostate bible ever printed in a Christian church then perhaps its not really even a church after all but some of entertainment or concert event!. B boomer's and there offspring claim many things about world including there plastic views of religion personally i couldn't care what any of them say when it comes to religion spirituality as they are pretty much collectively bankrupt when comes to both so glad my own parents aren't of that ilk.:scratch:

Where at Hillsong or any of the main stream Pentecostal churches are we told that God told us to be rich?

This is a HUGE MISCONCEPTION and clearly you lack understanding of what you are judging.

You'd have to be joking Ive been HS and similar mega churches one does not even have to take a bible through the front door to begin with and many attendants are transient wanderers not even regular attendees week to week why else do you think they build them so big!.:D.
Personally i cant see much difference between mega churches and ten network pro gs like idol they pretty much do the same things and serve the same purpose Idol worship and emotional blackmail!:cool:

LOL now your the one Joking! Where in the bible does is say you can only attend church if you have a bible in your hand?

Transient wanderers? And what about all the Sunday christians attending most of the "traditional" churches each and every week?

They build them so big because they have so many regular attendees! they couldn't possibly afford a building so big if they didn't have people paying for it.
And seriously how stupid would it look to have a massive building filled with on one?

Personally I can't see much difference between "traditional" churches and the world. Anglicans belive the bible is just a collection of good stories and not meant to be taken literally!

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You know, I no longer attend church on a regular basis having been burnt by members of a 'Pentecostal' church. However, I don't have any problem whatsoever with their fundamental beliefs. I have always found them to be scripturally correct. Same for Hillsong IMO. Because some members behave in a manner that we don't agree with, that doesn't make the whole church suspect. On the whole, most pentecostal churches believe and teach the gospel according to their honest understanding. All churches on this earth will be prone to error and it is up to us to be discerning. Churches are made up of people and people are just people, whatever churches they are in....why can't everyone just appreciate the good that Hillsong does? I, personally just love their music.
THANK-YOU! Someone who see's sense in this world!

If only everyone understood that there is a difference between the People and the church!

Awesome comments!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A "misconception"? Really? Says who? Well let me reliably inform you otherwise.

I was at a Pentecostal church once during my university years. It was a fairly large church with literally hundreds of members. Every service, there were 2 sermons. The main sermon, and before that, a mini sermon on giving. Ugh!! Man, I got sick of that money grubbing real quick let me tell you. Every damn week. Give give give.

So anyhoo, one particular night, the senior pastor was talking (during the main sermon) on giving. And he was talking about how giving unto "God" his 10% tithes and offerings would open up the windows of Heaven, (gee, how original). He stated quite emphatically that by your giving, you would be given back financially.

And then he said something that made my jaw drop. He said, and I quote word for word, "that is the reason why I give. I don't give for the kingdom of God, I give to get back".

I think that says it all.
Yep and thats wrong!
The church you attended had the wrong belief.

The Majority of Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive this.

Like I said you give First and Foremost because it's Gods to begin with.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I must say to you Kazamataz, how disturbing I find your lack of knowledge of Hillsong and Pentecostal churches in general. I am wondering how long have you been going to these types of churches? I myself went for about a decade, and that was 10 years too much. The average Pentecostal stays for only 3 years, so compare that to the traditional churches.

The hype, the constant give give give, the weird and wacked out "manifestations", ugh!!! I could go on and on.

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ooo, intresting but not quite true! In practice you are right about a lot of the Hillsongafied Australian pentacostal churches. In theory though they do believe that tounges is the inital sign of the infilling of the Holy Spirit = no tounges, no Holy Spirit. They believe you can be saved but it's a less high performance Christianity if you don't speak in tounges (and that from the guy who can tell Brian Houston off if he disagree's with his theology!)

To be an Aussie AoG pastor (which some but not all Hillsong pastors are) you need to sign a declaration that this is your theology unless Brian Houston as head of the Aus AoG (or whatever their changing their name too) has managed to change it yet, and I know he's planning on pushing it through at some point.
WOW i did not know this like i said I do not attend Hillsong and from what I have read of their Doctrine I haven't found that anywhere.

However most Pentecostal do not belive this.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Majority of Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive this.

Maybe the majority of the average Pentecostal church goers, but definately not the church leaders/pastors. The majority of the leaders not only believe it, but teach it, and furthermore, demand it.

Upvote 0

Kazamataz

Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I must say to you Kazamataz, how disturbing I find your lack of knowledge of Hillsong and Pentecostal churches in general. I am wondering how long have you been going to these types of churches? I myself went for about a decade, and that was 10 years too much. The average Pentecostal stays for only 3 years, so compare that to the traditional churches.

The hype, the constant give give give, the weird and wacked out "manifestations", ugh!!! I could go on and on.
I think it is you who lacks the proper knowledge of hillsong or pentecostal doctrine.

I attended a traditional church for 10 years and I can honestly say I had no relationship with God or Jesus or Had any understanding what so ever of what it meant to truly be a christian.

I have been apart of the Pentecostal movement for almost 7 years now and it has changed my life and I have never had the kind of relationship with Jesus that I have now, I was never taught scripture the way it is now.

When I was in the "traditional" church, God was made out to be a big mad angry man sitting on a chair with a big stick and if i didn't memorise my scripture i was going to hell.

I now know what a loving and caring God, God really is and it was only by being in the pentecostal movement that I have found this. I also now know I don't have to jump through this hoop and that in order to please God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.