Dec 1, 2006
Ballina,New South Wales
Visit site
✟9,045.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the majority of the average Pentecostal church goers, but definately not the church leaders/pastors. The majority of the leaders not only believe it, but teach it, and furthermore, demand it.
I'm am sorry that you had such a bad experience and obviously went to a church that wasn't right and had some bad leadership beliefs.

But I stand by what i said it is NOT pushed nor is a belief that you give to gain.
Go and read the doctrines of all the major pentecostal churches in this country. attend their services and you will see how wrong you are.

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
. I also now know I don't have to jump through this hoop and that in order to please God.

Ha! The biggest hoops you will find are in the Pentecostal church. There are no bigger hoops. Give give give. Serve serve serve. What gifts do you have? Are you talking in tongues, are you healing, are you prophesying? Seek the gifts brothers and sisters. How many people do you speak about Jesus every week? I heard one pastor say that if you didn't speak to at least 5 people per week, you are doing nothing for God.

The pressure to attend all the services, homegroups, meetings, conferences etc. In fact, I heard personally Brian Houston talk to a bunch of men at a mens' conference. And he said, "be a real man of God. Go to church twice on Sunday instead".

And btw, the "instead" was instead of spending time with your family on Sunday afternoon. In fact, he described fathers who "have to" spend Sunday afternoons with their families as "namby pamby". Are you learning something about Hillsong?

If that ain't big hoops sister, I don't know what is.

kazamataz said:
But I stand by what i said it is NOT pushed nor is a belief that you give to gain.
kazamataz said:
Go and read the doctrines of all the major pentecostal churches in this country. attend their services and you will see how wrong you are.

Why on earth do you think I'm saying what I'm saying? Because I have been to many different types of Pentecostal churches for about a decade. From the large Hillsong ones to churches of 12 people. And they are all the same. What do you think I'm doing, pulling allegations out of thin air and throwing them around? I speak from considerable experience.

And btw, I don't care less about "reading the official doctrines of the major Pentecostal churches". I have something much better. Personal experiences with Pentecostal leaders and churches. I have heard Pentecostal preachers speak for myself, I have been to their churches and have been involved. I have a broad range of experience in Pentecostal churches which counts for far more than just reading about their official doctrines.

And if you know anything, what a denomination says "officially", and what they really believe and preach are not always the same thing. If you know what I mean.

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Where at Hillsong or any of the main stream Pentecostal churches are we told that God told us to be rich?
You show amazing naivety about the very church you attend so you mean to tell me you are not even aware that "JC the second" Brian Houston wrote a book titled" God Wants you to be Rich" you don't seem to know much about the church you attend maybe you should start looking into its history!.
This is a HUGE MISCONCEPTION and clearly you lack understanding of what you are judging.
Well given that Houston wrote a book saying just that there is absolutely no misconception on my part the facts are there in black and white.However you seem to be in denial abouts facts either that or selective about things you wish to omit!.

LOL now your the one Joking! Where in the bible does is say you can only attend church if you have a bible in your hand?
Well in my view if you attend church occasionally without bible for whatever reason that should be .k.

However if you kept attending without a bible you would be wide open to mass deception & emotional blackmail which seems to happen alot in cults doesn't it?.
Very few of these people i saw in my experiences take a bible into church or if they do they never seem to pull it out or even bother weighing it up against what they are being preached with which should be an essential check and balance for any christian in my view otherwise you stand wide open to deception everything as a christian should be weighed against the bible for fallibility as man is constantly sinful and capable of erring even your Pastor Houston yes the man is human after all.

Personally I can't see much difference between "traditional" churches and the world. Anglicans believe the bible is just a collection of good stories and not meant to be taken literally!
You seem to be making out that HS and other similar contemporary style worship churches are somehow really fundie and separated from the world nothing could be further from the truth with HS and other mega churches the facts are their doctrine is as liberal as.
Anything goes in these churches almost,its blank slate just so long as theres alot of emotionalism and rock music and jumping around they happy to throw anything into there doctrinal mix just so long as they can draw in the sheeple and get hold of their usually large wallets but witless brains.By comparison i d have to say the trad churches are alot more literal than the likes of HS which isn't saying much for your claims of literalism or fundamentalism for HS.:scratch:

Upvote 0

BlackSabb

Aug 31, 2006
✟18,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be making out that HS and other similar contemporary style worship churches are somehow really fundie and separated from the world nothing could be further from the truth with HS and other mega churches the facts are their doctrine is as liberal as.
Anything goes in these churches almost,its blank slate just so long as theres alot of emotionalism and rock music and jumping around they happy to throw anything into there doctrinal mix just so long as they can draw in the sheeple and get hold of their usually large wallets but witless brains.By comparison i d have to say the trad churches are alot more literal than the likes of HS which isn't saying much for your claims of literalism or fundamentalism for HS.:scratch:

That's the truth. Hillsong and other Pentecostal churches don't hold literal views of the Bible, no more than traditional churches that you claim.

In the Bible, Paul talks about women submitting in marriage to their husbands as men submit to Christ. I don't mean for a moment that it is referring to lording it over. However, in an Australian tv interview, here is what Brian Houston said about submission, just to show you how "literal" he takes the Bible:

"In a sense I’ve got a conservative, biblical idea that a man should take a role of leadership in his life. But I certainly don’t adhere to the mentality that a woman must submit or that she should be pushed down. I absolutely believe that there’s a sense of walking together in life."

The great Brian Houston, such a senior prominent religious leader equates submission to "putting women down" and hence why he rejects it. He rejects a Biblical statement. He doesn't even know what submission is, and he is supposed to be teaching us?

Here is the web link if you want to read the entire transcript for that interview:

http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2005/s1427560.htm

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I go to a Pentacostal church which is very similar style to Hillsong. I don't remember the last time I heard someone in there speak in tongues. It is certainly not something that happens every week.
That's more a gift of prophecy - which Paul does say we should seek after, rather than babbling in a "tongue" just for the pleasure of it. I'm really only pointing out the flaws in this particular pentecostal church, for all I know, there may be many others that are not like it. But having said that it's a fairly big and well known one in Queensland. Not saying that they aren't Christians either, just a rather disturbed theology in that particular church.

They do have some very good evangelical programs and as I said, I came to Christ there. I'm not trying to "attack" the movement, as I do believe they do (correctly) acknowledge God as a spiritual being and the powers of the Holy Spirit. However I just feel it's dangerous when prosperity doctrine + mus speak in tongues are placed together, bot I believe are biblically incorrect, and also when your church goers start indulging in these tongues, they tend to get into the moment and accept most of what the preacher says. It was my friend, who's being a Christian all her life, that pointed out the prosperity doctrine was wrong, not me. Thank God she was there. The thing is everyone else in the church is going "yeah yeah (as was I) and getting really psyched up about believing that when you give, God will reward you - as in a monetary sense. That's rubbish - and I won't back down from that.

I would have far less problems with it if they just did the tongues thing, and not the prosperity thing.

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I became a Christian at Scarborough Potters House in WA.
I know attend a Baptist Church, suits me and my family better than a Pentecostal church would.
There would be little to no chance that a Baptist church would have been able to Christianize me. Thanks Lord for that "out there" Pentie Potters house. (God sent me there)
Everybody is different and everybody is an individual in Gods eyes,
everybody's Christian walk starts somewhere and heads off in any given direction somewhere. We are not all the same.
No doubt if the Church you are attending doesnt meet your spiritual need you need to move on.
I have never been to any church that has everything spot on.

On the blab it grab it doctrine, this never came from the church, only the omega trend marketers.

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that you don't need to be speak in tongues to be saved. I also do not believe that you need to speak in tongues to "prove" that you are baptised in the Holy Spirit.

Does anyone here believe that there is a use for tongues at all?

I do, I do believe that they are important if you do speak them, I use them as a prayer language from time to time, I do not go around speaking in tongues at the top of my voice or anything like that in church, but I do use them.

I have also prayed for someone once in tongues he was blind and he received his sight and all I felt God tell me to do was pray in tongues.

Maybe this isn't for everyone I don't know. But I do believe there is a use for them.

I also agree with Monarchist.

Not every church has everything spot on.

I have been thinking a lot of what the early churches in Acts were like, they didn't even meet in buildlings, it was in their own homes among the community of people who believed. So I am wondering how I can live my life like that. I haven't really found an answer yet.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would definatly agree with you on this one Speaking in tounges is not the be all and end. Many people are baptized with the Holy Spirit but never speak in tounges.
Hillsong and Most other Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive that you HAVE to speak in tounges nor do they belive it's central to your slavation or that you are weird/strange if you don't.

Having said that there are some very out there pentecostal churches that belive this and i would say they are boarding on cults.
Hillsong is part of the Assemblies of God.
AOG What we Believe said:
We believe that in order to live the holy and fruitful lives that God intends for us, we need to be baptised in water and be filled with the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit enables us to use spiritual gifts, including speaking in tongues which is the initial evidence of baptism in the Holy Spirit.

I think there are serious issues with any church whose eldership looks like this:
5 Pastors :)thumbsup: to that):
BRIAN HOUSTON (Senior Pastor)
ROBERT FERGUSSON (Senior Associate Pastor)
DR. GORDON LEE (Pastor of Chinese Extension Service)
KEVIN BRETT (Pastor)
PHIL DOOLEY (Executive Pastor)
JOEL A'BELL (Executive Pastor)
And then these "elders" (see later, in reality, board directors :|):
GEORGE AGHAJANIAN (General Manager "possesses a wealth of senior management experience")
NABI SALEH ("Chairman of Gloria Jean's Coffees Australia and New Zealand")
LEIGH HOWARD-SMITH ("Managing Director of several companies in the logistics/transport and plastic manufacturing industries")
DON COOPER-WILLIAM ("Senior Marketing Executive within the IT Industry.")
JOHN MAYS ("Business Manager for the City Campus")
Does that sound more like a church or a business? General managers? business managers? it appears that success in the business world is necessary for one to become part of the eldership of Hillsong.
http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=14

Hillsong Financial Charter tells us more about what these elders really are, they are directors on the church board:
Hillsong Church subscribes to a high standard of accountability and stewardship. This Charter outlines the governance and operations relating to the church's finances. Hillsong Church is a not-for-profit organisation governed by a board of Elders/Directors. The Elders are responsible for the management of all the affairs of the church. This is outworked through regular meetings of the board. The office-bearers of the organisation are the Senior Pastor as Chairman, the Treasurer and the Secretary. The balance of the Eldership, being seven (7) individuals, is made up of a combination of senior executive staff and business leaders from within Hillsong Church's congregation. Each appointed Elder serves for a twelve-month renewable term.
http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=15

Hillsong Corporate Governance
http://www2.hillsong.com/church/default.asp?pid=16

Pastors who have a website like this, which is linked directly from the Hillsong home page:
http://www.leadershipministries.com.au/

I think this, and if you observe the overall tone of the website and their marketing and promotion techniques, is an indicator that the church as an insitution has lost its focus on Jesus and has become more of a business focusing on Brian & Bobbie and making money.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
THANK-YOU! Someone who see's sense in this world!

If only everyone understood that there is a difference between the People and the church!

Awesome comments!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTHY
You know, I no longer attend church on a regular basis having been burnt by members of a 'Pentecostal' church. However, I don't have any problem whatsoever with their fundamental beliefs. I have always found them to be scripturally correct. Same for Hillsong IMO. Because some members behave in a manner that we don't agree with, that doesn't make the whole church suspect. On the whole, most pentecostal churches believe and teach the gospel according to their honest understanding. All churches on this earth will be prone to error and it is up to us to be discerning. Churches are made up of people and people are just people, whatever churches they are in....why can't everyone just appreciate the good that Hillsong does? I, personally just love their music.

THANK-YOU! Someone who see's sense in this world!

If only everyone understood that there is a difference between the People and the church!

Awesome comments!

Agree with both these comments. I too, love Hillsong music - listening to it right now. Listened to Darlene at a Salvation Army conference - wonderful woman of God. I know that the Salvation Army in Brisbane has some of it's church partnering with members of that church I described earlier doing organising some very big schoolies campaigns - again that's fantastic. I would go on a limb to say that Hillsong does the job better than any other church in letting the world know what they are on about. You say Hillsong - and people know you're talking about those "Jesus people". That's probably even better than what the Salvation Army does. If I was to twist it around I would say the Salvation Army doctrines on Baptism are incorrect, communion are not right either - and they know that there whole army is in decline - but that means nothing. The "organisation" of Hillsong, of AOG, Salvos whatever church doesn't matter - it's the people inside it that do.

There is also a difference between what a church states as doctrine and what a church practices as doctrine. I would certainly hope that the majority of Pentecostal churches were not like the one I attended...I have no idea.

I think someone asked before if the gift of tongues was good for anything. As part of a gift of prophecy definitely. For a person to speak in tongues in personal prayer time, that's not a problem. Even at church during worship I don't think it's an issue provided it's not a stumbling block for others.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,047.00
Faith
Christian
And then these "elders" (see later, in reality, board directors :|):

GEORGE AGHAJANIAN (General Manager "possesses a wealth of senior management experience")​
NABI SALEH ("Chairman of Gloria Jean's Coffees Australia and New Zealand")​
LEIGH HOWARD-SMITH ("Managing Director of several companies in the logistics/transport and plastic manufacturing industries")​
DON COOPER-WILLIAM ("Senior Marketing Executive within the IT Industry.")​
JOHN MAYS ("Business Manager for the City Campus")

Does that sound more like a church or a business? General managers? business managers? it appears that success in the business world is necessary for one to become part of the eldership of Hillsong.

I agree that there's no need to list people's careers like this, and it sets the wrong tone for the organisation.

I would point out though, that many churches operate as non-profit companies, due to quirks with australian law and how they are allowed to operate. Hence why they elect a board, hold AGMs etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that there's no need to list people's careers like this, and it sets the wrong tone for the organisation.

I would point out though, that many churches operate as non-profit companies, due to quirks with australian law and how they are allowed to operate. Hence why they elect a board, hold AGMs etc.

Yes I agree. It's also to do with taxation too isn't it?

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Firstly thanks heaps for sharing your opinion.

And for sharing yours sister.

I would definatly agree with you on this one Speaking in tounges is not the be all and end. Many people are baptized with the Holy Spirit but never speak in tounges.
Hillsong and Most other Pentecostal churches DO NOT belive that you HAVE to speak in tounges nor do they belive it's central to your slavation or that you are weird/strange if you don't.

I can accept what you've said there and from further reading I would say that Hillsong does not believe that speaking in tongues comes from water baptism or is a necessary requirement. I would also like to believe most pentecostal believe this. But I still feel even if it is a minority that believe other wise, it's still a fairly large minority. This is a very big pentecostal church I'm talking about in Brisbane. And there are others like it. Citipointe church anyone? I don't feel I need to hide their name anymore. I'm actually setting up meetings with their pastor from my aid organisation. It would be very interesting to see how that goes indeed.

Again something else i would have to agree with, Church is not about getting on a high the church is for two main reasons, For people of the same faith to come together and fellowship.
And the MOST IMPORTANT reason is for them to help and reach out to all in their community and the world.

I think this is a mjor misconception about Pentecostal churches. To me it sounds like you've experianced a very scary Pentecostal church one of those ones i would say boarders on being a cult.

Not to disagree with what you've said but to clarify what worship means in the NT. The word "worship" is never used in the NT to talk about a gathering of Christians like we do on a Sunday.

The words used in the NT translated as "worship"
SEBOMAI - used 7 times - indicates "wrong worship" obviously never used to describe Christian worship
PROSKUNEIN - used 59 times - "to bow down" to fall down before God in his presence.
LEITOURGEIN - used 15 times - "to serve God" to serve God in a leadership capacity - as priests etc
LATREUEIN - used 26 times - "to serve God " in general service that we should all offer God.

Again none of these words are used to describe a meeting of Christians to sing praises to God. If a Christian is worshipping just on a Sunday - then there worship is totally incorrect. As you said Sunday "worship" is for fellowship and to hear the word of God preached - to learn more about the word of God.

Worship is alot more free and it can appear that becuase people are jumping around and enjoying themselevs then they some how are getting on a high and thats the only reason they come to church.
This is not the point of worship at all the point is to worship God to come before him and praise him for all that He has done in your life and to give Him glory for all that He is.

If thats what was taught at the pentecostal church you attended i would have to agree that this is very wrong.

To be honest - I wasn't actually taught anything. I attended their bible study, but most of this again was singing and trying to speak in tongues. There was very little content and the only study I remember of it, it too was about justifying the gift of tongues. That leader of that group has since fallen away from the faith. Very sad to be honest. I'm sure though they taught other stuff - but I didn't attend very often, started attending my current Salvation Army studies.

I haven't seen Hillsong or any of the main stream Pentecostal movements Preach this at all. To them Worship is totally for Glorifying God.

See my comments on worship above - this is a genuine question - out of concern - how many pentecostals would know that is what worship means? Double takes. How many Christians would know that's what worship means? *shudders* I guess this is a general complaint of the church then.

This is is an other HUGE misconception of the pentecostal church.

You don't give to get back "Worldly Treasures".

Malachi 3:8-12 NIV
......"In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

You give first and foremost because everything you have comes from God. God is simply asking to give back what is rightfully His. Then if you do this God will look after you, That DOESN'T mean you will get a big fat check in the mail or a whole stack of money in your bank account.
It means you will never hungry, you won't left out in the cold, If you first trust Him then He will provide for you.

It never ceases to amaze how mis-understood this simply practise is.

Its not about giving to get and it's not essentail to your salvation. Its about giving back to your God the creator of the universe who without you would not be here.

Nothing wrong with giving back to the church - what you said there is completely scriptural. However consider the amount of money a pastor at hillsong gets paid and compare that with a Salvation Army officer? I don't think Salvation Army officers get enough money to buy a house let alone to have a mansion and a few nice cars? It's the hypocrisy and where the giving goes as well as the misconception that is drawn from it. Whether they say it or not is irrelevant - don't pew sitters at Hillsong expect God to reward them for giving back to God? In the Army there's no need to preach it too often - we have self-denial campaigns each year and of course the soldiers go do Red Shield every year where we give our salaries and stuff to the work of the Army - giving back to God. It is expected to give - it is a blessing and a sign of faith that you can give. I doubt whether it's communicated or not, the pew sitter truly understands the idea behind giving. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and say Hillsong preaches correctly on tithing - that is still disproportionate to where the money goes though in my opinion.

Well again an other misconception, Having good equipment, lights, stage, instruments is NOT about showing off or being flashy.

Its about bring the first fruits to God. Its about in everything you do, Do it with excellence and not just give God the crumy left overs.

Having said that Only churches who can afford to have these things should have them. I don't belive in a church going into debit just so they can "keep up with the jones" so to speak.

I think it's disgusting and totally wrong that many churches do things half arsed becuase they belive God has called them to be poor.

I would again have to agree that we are blessed to be a blessing and if you went to a pentecostal church that wasn't interested in helping the homeless, the sick or the poor. Then that church was totally missing the point.

I agree completely, but I also disagree completely. The Christian gospel is a message for the poor and the oppressed, for the marginalized. There is no ifs, buts, it's the truth. Yes God calls us to give him the best. Depends now then on what you define the best now doesn't it? Does God really care about songs? Does God really give about a big church, with a damn good sound system, with smoke and his people have big houses and flashy cars. Does God really care about all those things - or are they simply idolatry and things of the world?

Where in the Bible does God want Earthly offerings and riches? Or does he demand our submission and offering of our hearts and lives? What happened when Solomon built his palace 4 times the size of the Lord's temple? He turned astray. Why is there so many places in the OT where "fat" was offered to God? Excess riches, things of the world there are beyond what is needed is given to God. No one, no church keeps any excess. God provides! People have already built massive temples laid with gold and silver before - yet he let people destroy them. How much more then does he despise pathetic church buildings and stages shows that are not only not as grand as the ones before, but are also glorify him less?

Amos 5:21-27 GNB The LORD says, "I hate your religious festivals; I cannot stand them! (22) When you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; I will not accept the animals you have fattened to bring me as offerings. (23) Stop your noisy songs; I do not want to listen to your harps. (24) Instead, let justice flow like a stream, and righteousness like a river that never goes dry. (25) "People of Israel, I did not demand sacrifices and offerings during those forty years that I led you through the desert. (26) But now, because you have worshiped images of Sakkuth, your king god, and of Kaiwan, your star god, you will have to carry those images (27) when I take you into exile in a land beyond Damascus," says the LORD, whose name is Almighty God.

Where is justice and righteousness? How can there be justice and righteousness in owning a mansion and having massive amounts of money and business when half the world is starving to death? Some of these people in our own backyards. I'm sorry using the argument of saying that God demands the "best" from us in justifying large stageshows is completely wrong. The strongest Christian church has been suppressed, persecuted, killed, thousands, tens of thousands each day. It has no buildings, for sure, some of them don't even have bibles. That church is in China - everywhere else the Christian church is declining. This is not just an accusation God will throw at Hillsong. it's the same one God will throw at the Salvos, let alone any other church in Australia. If we want the best for God, perhaps we should be considering very carefully how much of a surrender we are offering and how far we are going to carry our crosses.

I think your problems with the pentecostal movement spring from the fact that you obviously attended a very off and strange pentecostal church. They however are not a true representation of the pentecostal movement.

I think my problems with the pentecostal movement is there are focused on themselves and what God can do for them, and for all their use of tongues and prophecy, can't seem to discern when they are been led astray!

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gold soldier, I don't think that all pentecostals are concerned with themselves and what they can get from life. It seems to me that is what you are saying, I disagree because not everyone in my church is like that.

There are some that is true, but there are some people like that every where you go.

Do not say that everyone in the pentacostal churches is like this because it's not true.

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It is what I said, it's not what I mean to say though. I'm sorry.

I'll refrain from making more blase statements.
You've excelled yourself on this thread GodSoldier! :thumbsup: Well done!! Great to see someone so young already mature in the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So i was thinking today, There a many people in this forum who are anti-Hillsong and One of the big Arguments it is believed that it's not a biblically based church.

I don't attend Hillsong but I am certainly not against it, I go to a Christian City Church and they have similar beliefs.

My question is to those who say Hillsong is not biblically based, where do you get this?

I'm yet to see anything come out of that church that isn't backed up by the bible.

I actually belive many traditional churches eg Catholics and Anglicans aren't very biblical based at all.
A CCC is even worse (if that's possible) than Hillsong, and Phil Pringle is even worse (if that's possible) than Brian Houston. :sick:

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Have you been to Hillsong John? I don't think we should judge (I am fully aware I have been) but I don't think it's right for me to judge if I haven't been there. Or CCC for that matter. I think there's enough credible evidence that people have been hurt (I originally typed heart instead of hurt here...lol...I'm sure it's true as well) at Hillsong. But that's not to say people are not hurt at other churches, I've too have problems with some elements of pentecostal doctrine. But I have some problems with elements of Salvation Army belief and I'm a soldier...and I fully intend to serve as an officer of the Army.

As I said in the other thread...Hillsong is still part of the body of Christ. And Jesus did pray for unity of the church to the Father. Thinking about it...we are probably sinning by gossiping about our brothers and sisters without knowing the truth. If we have a problem with them, aren't we suppose to take it to them in private. (Can't remember the passage, then something about taking a witness and treating them like pagans if the above doesn't work...it's one of Paul's letters.)

I don't think we've reached the stage where we need to treat them as pagans yet! They do bring people to Christ, and the pentecostal movement as a whole has brought along a revival of the church and the *use* of the Holy Spirit.

I wish to extend my apologies to any pentecostal church members who I may have offended with my comments. I came to Christ in a pentecostal church, because of a on fire Christian, who was a pentecostal, I wouldn't be here without either!

Upvote 0
A

atheliah

How about we all just pull up!

What does Hillsong/Pentecostal bashing, slating and picking do? Other than making you all look like winging Christians, it serves no purpose.

I've been a part of A.O.G and a Pentecostal all my life, and I am quick to say that there are problems and faults in the church and denomination. But I also know that there are faults and problems in every church and denomination

There is no difference between you and Hillsong or the next pentecostal because we are all sinners and we all fall short of the Glory of God.

Here's an idea, instead of pointing out the speak in another's eye, why don't you first look at the log in your own eye!!

Another idea, why not pray for Hillsong/A.O.G/Pentecostals instead of slating and bashing them?

And please remember, those who run Hillsong/A.O.G and various other churches of different denominations are not perfect. They're human, they stuff up and make mistakes...stop expecting them to be perfect!

We are called to mirror Jesus, to be Christ like. Are you doing that by slating and bashing a certain denomination?

And we wonder why people don't want to become Christians

Hillsong and those who run it will answer to God, as will you and I.

So can we please just stop all this Hillsong/Pentecostal and any other denomination bashing, grow up and be the Christians that Jesus needs and wants us to be!?!

-----With that said, thank you
GodsoldierClintus for your last post! :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.