Hillsong Church, Gloria Jeans - linked to abuse claims.

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hillsong Church, Gloria Jeans linked to abuse claims

• Mental illness sufferers attending Mercy Ministries
  • Treated with Bible studies and exorcisms
  • Ministry linked to Hillsong Church and Gloria Jean's
YOUNG women suffering mental illness were treated with Bible studies and exorcisms as part of a secretive ministry linked to Gloria Jean's Coffees and the Hillsong Church.
Troubled young women signed over months of their lives to Mercy Ministries, which offered them little or no medical or psychiatric care, the Sydney Morning Herald investigation found.

Three former ministry residents have blown the whistle on the program, claiming they were independent young women when they entered, but came out broken and suicidal, believing - as ministry staff had told them - that they were possessed by demons and that Satan controlled them.

The women have since been forced to undergo years of intense psychological and psychiatric care to overcome their treatment at the ministry.

Membership at the ministry required residents to sign over any Centrelink benefits, and it is believed the group also received a carers payment to look after the women, the Herald reported.

The Mercy Ministries website says the group takes in women aged 16 to 28 and offers them support from "psychologists, general practitioners, dietitians, social workers, (and) career counsellors''.

However, the three residents who have spoken out about the ministry said no professional medical services were provided, and instead the program focused on prayer, Christian counselling and expelling demons from in and around the young women.

"Mercy Ministries staff address the issues that the residents face from a holistic client-focused approach; physical, mental, emotional. The program is voluntary and all aspects are explained comprehensibly to the residents and no force is used,'' ministry executive manager of programs Judy Watson told the Herald.

Mercy Ministries, sponsored by Gloria Jean's and supported by the Hillsong Foundation, says it has a 90 per cent success rate from its programs.

That's it. Just interested in people's thoughts on the matter. Here is a link to the original article, and the SMH investigation. Also this article was posted a few months later, mentioning the one I quoted.

Edited to add; Here and here are two more articles, similar to the one I quoted (from different sources) the first is titled 'How to Cure Anorexia With Exorcisms' and here is one from a girl who experienced Hillsong's version of 'help' during her HSC.

Last edited:
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ephesians 6:12

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."

I think it's another example of Hillsong's worldliness that has led to this problem. And I have no problem claiming that. Portraying a message, whether actual or simply portrayed, of worldly possession and blessing of worldly goods is damaging the church. You don't advertise psychologists etc if all you are doing is an intercessory prayer ministry - mixed in with worldly images of what a "woman" should be. By any means if you are going to do a intercessory prayer ministry, advertise it as such, not anything else. It is ironic and damaging that those claiming to have the "truth" are so unwilling to work in it.

How can they possibly believe by deceiving the people that are coming that anything good can come out of what they are doing?

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Hillsong is truly a repulsive church. Their worldliness seems to have no limits. They're a real 'look-at-me' type of church with lots of grandstanding and hype and getting involved in politics (especially of the Liberal variety).

Their views on mental illness are very alarming. Someone should be suing them for the damage that they are doing. I was in a psych hospital not too long ago - I needed medication, rest, and therapy - NOT emotional manipulation (Christine Caine is one of the worst offenders), empty prayer (that insinuates that my mental problems are caused by demons or by my lack of faith), and exorcisms. A pox on Hillsong for their so-called 'Mercy Ministry'. :mad:

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A very smart woman by the forum name of SallyNow posted the following story elsewhere on CF recently, and it's the same story that flashed through my mind each time I hear of or see a Christian ignoring the wonderful tools God has given us her eon Earth in favour of some sort of 'divine intervention'

There was a man called him Jim, who lived near a river. Jim was a very religious man. One day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and Jim was forced to climb onto his porch roof. While sitting there, a man in a boat comes along and tells Jim to get in the boat with him. Jim
says "No, that's ok. God will take care of me." So, the man in the boat drives off. The water rises, so Jim climbs onto his roof. At that time, another boat comes along and the person in that one tells Jim to get in. Jim replies, "No, that's ok. God will take care of me." The person in the boat then leaves. The water rises even more, and Jim climbs on his chimney. Then a helicopter comes and lowers a ladder. The woman in the helicopter tells Jim to climb up the ladder and get in. Jim tells her "That's ok." The woman says "Are you sure?" Jim says, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me. Finally, the water rises too high and Jim drowns. Jim gets up to Heaven and is face-to-face with God. Jim says to God "You told me you would take care of me! What happened?" God replied "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else did you want?"

I have met so many Jims, it's worrying.

Upvote 0

DavinMochrie

Jan 12, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
✟2,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For every Christian on this forum that criticizes Hillsong for it's actions, there are 50 Christians here who blindly defend them to the death without even listening to the information.

Thus Hillsong have their power.

Personally I think their trouble came when they decided to emulate the Americans. My personal opinion is that's when any Aussie person or company goes down-hill - is when they try to copy Americans.

Our Country has such beauty and talent, yet instead of leading the world in innovation....we can't scramble quick enough to copy the Americans.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hillsong Church, Gloria Jeans linked to abuse claims

• Mental illness sufferers attending Mercy Ministries
  • Treated with Bible studies and exorcisms
  • Ministry linked to Hillsong Church and Gloria Jean's
YOUNG women suffering mental illness were treated with Bible studies and exorcisms as part of a secretive ministry linked to Gloria Jean's Coffees and the Hillsong Church.
Troubled young women signed over months of their lives to Mercy Ministries, which offered them little or no medical or psychiatric care, the Sydney Morning Herald investigation found.

Three former ministry residents have blown the whistle on the program, claiming they were independent young women when they entered, but came out broken and suicidal, believing - as ministry staff had told them - that they were possessed by demons and that Satan controlled them.

The women have since been forced to undergo years of intense psychological and psychiatric care to overcome their treatment at the ministry.

Membership at the ministry required residents to sign over any Centrelink benefits, and it is believed the group also received a carers payment to look after the women, the Herald reported.

The Mercy Ministries website says the group takes in women aged 16 to 28 and offers them support from "psychologists, general practitioners, dietitians, social workers, (and) career counsellors''.

However, the three residents who have spoken out about the ministry said no professional medical services were provided, and instead the program focused on prayer, Christian counselling and expelling demons from in and around the young women.

"Mercy Ministries staff address the issues that the residents face from a holistic client-focused approach; physical, mental, emotional. The program is voluntary and all aspects are explained comprehensibly to the residents and no force is used,'' ministry executive manager of programs Judy Watson told the Herald.

Mercy Ministries, sponsored by Gloria Jean's and supported by the Hillsong Foundation, says it has a 90 per cent success rate from its programs.

That's it. Just interested in people's thoughts on the matter. Here is a link to the original article, and the SMH investigation. Also this article was posted a few months later, mentioning the one I quoted.

Edited to add; Here and here are two more articles, similar to the one I quoted (from different sources) the first is titled 'How to Cure Anorexia With Exorcisms' and here is one from a girl who experienced Hillsong's version of 'help' during her HSC.
What rubbish. Old rubbish too - this story came out before Easter. A few girls couldn't be helped by the ministry and so it's the ministry's fault they still have problems? Why didn't they ask some of the 90% who were helped what they thought about the program, or some of the girls whose lives were saved? If they needed "years of intense psychological and psychiatric care" do you think this kind of explains why they couldn't be helped in the first place? Pathetic attempt at journalism.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hillsong is truly a repulsive church. Their worldliness seems to have no limits. They're a real 'look-at-me' type of church with lots of grandstanding and hype and getting involved in politics (especially of the Liberal variety).

Their views on mental illness are very alarming. Someone should be suing them for the damage that they are doing. I was in a psych hospital not too long ago - I needed medication, rest, and therapy - NOT emotional manipulation (Christine Caine is one of the worst offenders), empty prayer (that insinuates that my mental problems are caused by demons or by my lack of faith), and exorcisms. A pox on Hillsong for their so-called 'Mercy Ministry'. :mad:
Sounds like you haven't been taking your meds

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What rubbish. Old rubbish too - this story came out before Easter. A few girls couldn't be helped by the ministry and so it's the ministry's fault they still have problems? Why didn't they ask some of the 90% who were helped what they thought about the program, or some of the girls whose lives were saved? If they needed "years of intense psychological and psychiatric care" do you think this kind of explains why they couldn't be helped in the first place? Pathetic attempt at journalism.

I am interested in where you are getting these figures. Where does it say 90% of the girls who have taken part in Mercy Ministries have experienced healing? :confused:

I've heard of ex-members of Hillsong requiring years of psychological help, and not because they suffer from mental illness, more just that they needed to recover from their experience at the 'church' ( think it was part of that SBS doco a few years ago). So it doesn't surprise me that some women would require a significant amount of professional care not only to overcome their personal obstacles, but also to undo any damage done by pastors and volunteers masquerading as professionals.

A (questionable) knowledge of the Bible and Hillsong policies does not a psychologist make.

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't it say in the articles that they advertised psychologists and such, when the girls say that there were no such people there? If that is true, and I'm willing to say the news reports are biased, but if that is true how is that in any adherence to the gospel?

Also how is it completely trash journalism...the girls required years of psychological help AFTER they were at Mercy Ministries...It seems to me from reading the articles you could at least say the girls were deceived about what was going on and what they were going to receive.

We are told "Blessed are those that are persecuted because of righteousness." Unfortunately to me, this does not seem to be persecution because of righteousness. This seems to be persecution because of deception.

It is too easy to rip down the most visible church in Australia...but perhaps the rest of the church should perform intercessory prayer for Hillsong to get their demons away from them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sleak

Sep 3, 2005
Sunshine coast QLD
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do a search on Mercy Ministries on here and check if things have been posted before you make a new post. This is OLD news.

I am shocked that Christians will read something written in a newspaper which is highly 'anti - God' and take it as truth. Media is one of the worst places for you to get information on. They twist and turn things to sell papers, TV air time etc.

I PERSONALLY know around 10 girls who would definitely be dead if it wasn't for their time at Mercy Ministries. How about you go and have a chat to them, their families and friends and discuss how bad Mercy Ministries is and how it is ruining lives. Not all of them graduated either, and yet, they are still alive today after the life changing program they participated in while they were at Mercy Ministries.

Just for the record also, The sunshine coast house had qualified psychologists, dietitians, councilors and saw a GP on regular intervals.

Of all the people to be talking bad about things which help save many lives each year, I would not have thought it would come from Christians like yourselves. Please think for yourselves, speak to former graduates, and other people who have something to do with Mercy Ministries before making your comments, for without that, you are no better then the media and their stories.
For to only look at the bad information and make your decision on that is not a very good way of finding the truth!

Rhys.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am shocked that Christians will read something written in a newspaper which is highly 'anti - God' and take it as truth. Media is one of the worst places for you to get information on. They twist and turn things to sell papers, TV air time etc.

Oh please...Just because Hillsong sings about God and call themselves Christian doesn't mean Christians should assume whatever Hillsong does is good.

Let's see, where else can I get lot's of *info* about Hillsong...Oh yeah! CFers with Liberal Party and/or Pentecostal icons! Yup, they're definitely going to give me un-biased information...
rolleyesvq3.gif

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There were I think seven articles that Tigercub posted...no ones saying the media is not biased...but you must be looking at some really rose-tinted glasses if you can't see that there is at least an element of deception in what was happening. I reiterate that that it was reported that there were no such support, plus a program advertised as "free" required signing up centrelink payments to the program...if you are a young woman in such a vulnerable situation and you had one of your only possible income sources being tied up to a "free program", I that rings of oppression and abuse by anyone's standard let alone a Christian one.

Last edited:
Reactions: tigercub
Upvote 0

Sleak

Sep 3, 2005
Sunshine coast QLD
✟7,724.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh please...Just because Hillsong sings about God and call themselves Christian doesn't mean Christians should assume whatever Hillsong does is good.

Let's see, where else can I get lot's of *info* about Hillsong...Oh yeah! CFers with Liberal Party and/or Pentecostal icons! Yup, they're definitely going to give me un-biased information...
rolleyesvq3.gif

Just to clear something up, Mercy Ministries is not Hillsong. Probably should have given you that information first up. They do not run MM, they do not benefit from MM, they have very little to do with MM.
I dont believe everything ANY church does is always good. It would be nice to believe that it always is, but unfortunately because churches are run by people, occasionally things are done for people and not God.

Get all the info you want on Hillsong, and your opinion on Pentecostals or liberal people, that has nothing to do with Mercy Ministries and the allegations made by the media. Many people love to talk bad about Hillsong and other churches, I for one will leave that to the non believers as I dont see how talking bad about a denomination will glorify God in any way possible.

There were I think seven articles that Tigercub posted...no ones saying the media is not biased...but you must be looking at some really rose-tinted glasses if you can't see that there is at least an element of deception in what was happening. I reiterate that that it was reported that there were no such support, plus a program advertised as "free" required signing up centrelink payments to the program...if you are a young woman in such a vulnerable situation and you had one of your only possible income sources being tied up to a "free program", I that rings of oppression and abuse by anyone's standard let alone a Christian one.

You are correct that Tigercub posted up many links. Most coming from the same information and regurgitated into some other persons work. Take this for an example. I go to the many scientists that believe the theory of evolution. I ask them about it and they all tell me it is true, I only take their information given and from that, make my argument that the Theory of evolution is true! According to the people I spoke to, it is true, so my argument is backed up %100!
Lets have a look at some other links:
http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/jun/15/girls-story-hope-and-survivial/

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/jun/15/closure-wont-be-end-mission/

http://castlehill.yourguide.com.au/...-mercy-ministries-success-stories/321768.aspx

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/on-a-mercy-mission-to-rescue-lives/2008/03/23/1206206916406.html

You must understand that it would be incredibly hard for these girls to talk of their past like this. That is possibly why there are not so many 'success stories', and also the fact that as we all know, the media is not one for publishing 'good' stories as much!

It is correct that Mercy does take Centrelink payments for the 24/7 care they provide, although the program is offered free of charge. I believe that is more relating to the thousands and tens of thousands that other similar 're hab' places charge on entry, where this gives the girls who have no money a chance to change their life, without having to somehow source the money that a lot of them would not have. Make sense?

No such support? That is totally incorrect. Mercy offers General Practitioners, Dietitians, Psychiatrists, Psychologists and counseling staff that all hold government accredited qualifications.

As for my "rose - tinted glasses", Mate you have no idea. You may think I live in some fairy tale life where I am blind to the abuse that happens by many organizations, but after hearing the testimonies from people I care about who have come from places you couldn't even imagine being in, and finally having a hope, after going through years and years of the governments mental health system, only to be told they have no hope, just get used to the system, to come out of a program that has given them a hope for the first time in their life. Maybe that has made my heart "rosy" and am blind to the facts that all these people I care for are now actually alive and living their lives for God as apposed to committing suicide and spending eternity in hell. One of my close friends who entered the program (a non believer) had decided that upon coming to Mercy, she would run away and commit suicide. She was not able to get away where she lived, and thought it would be easier on everyone if she just ran away from Mercy and 'disappeared'. When she arrived at Mercy, things changed. She found God, was taught of Salvation through Christ, and even though she didn't graduate, still holds on to the things she learned at Mercy and is alive today! What do I tell her? That the program she went to was abusing her, they did nothing but take advantage of her and that Mercy Ministries is a sham? I guess my "rose - tinted glasses" just make everything seem so wonderful!

Upvote 0

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals

rolleyesvq3.gif

Just for the record, I have a Liberal icon and I can promise you that I am about as far from being a Hillsong supporter as it is possible to be.

:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am interested in where you are getting these figures. Where does it say 90% of the girls who have taken part in Mercy Ministries have experienced healing? :confused:
From the article you posted

I've heard of ex-members of Hillsong requiring years of psychological help, and not because they suffer from mental illness, more just that they needed to recover from their experience at the 'church' ( think it was part of that SBS doco a few years ago).
What experiences did they need recovering from? :confused:

So it doesn't surprise me that some women would require a significant amount of professional care not only to overcome their personal obstacles, but also to undo any damage done by pastors and volunteers masquerading as professionals.
Are you talking about the church here or Mercy Ministries? They are separate organisations. On the MM website it says access to medical professionals are available as needed.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't it say in the articles that they advertised psychologists and such, when the girls say that there were no such people there? If that is true, and I'm willing to say the news reports are biased, but if that is true how is that in any adherence to the gospel?
It says on the MM website there is access to psychologists as needed

Also how is it completely trash journalism...the girls required years of psychological help AFTER they were at Mercy Ministries...It seems to me from reading the articles you could at least say the girls were deceived about what was going on and what they were going to receive.
That doesn't mean it was caused by their experience at MM. They could have already been ill, which is quite likely seeing as they enrolled there in the first place.

We are told "Blessed are those that are persecuted because of righteousness." Unfortunately to me, this does not seem to be persecution because of righteousness. This seems to be persecution because of deception.
Or persecution because of journalists and other parties with a grudge against the church?

It is too easy to rip down the most visible church in Australia...but perhaps the rest of the church should perform intercessory prayer for Hillsong to get their demons away from them.
Easy to rip down any tall poppy in Australia

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

rolleyesvq3.gif
What does one's political party icon have to do with this? Don't tell me, the Liberals were in on it too?

Upvote 0