Have you ever been hurt? Truly hurt or disallusioned from someone on a messageboard?

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lol! I thought there might of been another that walloped someone!
There was a minister (not a Catholic) who literally beat the devil out of people. Although I don't think it's good to emulate him.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Sensus fidelium?

Yes, that's it, Reverend. 'Sense of the faithful' ; more specific than 'sensus fidei' : 'sense of the faith', of which I was just now reminded by Google, with your information. I checked, because I was puzzled by the plural declension ending in '..ium'. But I see that version, your version, is the better by far.

Thank you. I must try harder to remember it.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
There was a minister (not a Catholic) who literally beat the devil out of people. Although I don't think it's good to emulate him.

Oh, no. There've been a fair few such cases, unfortunately, GV.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I only post here, so I know who the trollish people are and I just ignore them. I try to respect everyone's opinion to a point. But, rather than argue with people, I just skip over obviously argumentative posts.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, that's it, Reverend. 'Sense of the faithful' ; more specific than 'sensus fidei' : 'sense of the faith', of which I was just now reminded by Google, with your information. I checked, because I was puzzled by the plural declension ending in '..ium'. But I see that version, your version, is the better by far.

It's an interesting concept, because it gives some level of authority to the ordinary believers and their reception of a teaching.

(And you really don't have to call me Reverend. I tend to save that for telemarketers and people who are deliberately patronising. ;) )

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
It's an interesting concept, because it gives some level of authority to the ordinary believers and their reception of a teaching.

(And you really don't have to call me Reverend. I tend to save that for telemarketers and people who are deliberately patronising. ;) )

I feared inadvertently disrespecting you, as much on account of your youthful appearance as of your sex. Maybe it's patronising unbeknownst to me. It would be hypocritical of me to apologise, though, since I acted from a fear of giving offence to you on shallow grounds. Ironically, a lot of the time, I'm railing against clericalism !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
Well, yes, though I would have preferred 'concede', rather than 'give' in the context, in view of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and Beatitudes, in which I sense Jesus was expressing his gratitude to the Anawim, Joe and Jane Six-Pack* for teaching him the fundamentals of the faith, and that, in the difficult struggles they faced in their daily lives.

(I feared inadvertently disrespecting you, as much on account of your youthful appearance as of your sex. Maybe it's patronising unbeknownst to me. It would be hypocritical of me to apologise, though, since I acted from a fear of giving offence to you on shallow grounds).

*Only patronising if a more worldly-wise person doesn't look up to them, I think, Paidiske - though initially it may seem so, because of our world's inverted values. You're never going to find the right word one that doesn't sound, patronising for the 'ordinary person', the man in the street'... unless it's, maybe, 'Anawim', such as Jesus and his own family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
*Only patronising if a more worldly-wise person doesn't look up to them, I think, Paidiske - though initially it may seem so, because of our world's inverted values.

I'm not sure what point you're making? I really do find some people patronising and dismissive of me. Not many, but it does happen.

I feared inadvertently disrespecting you, as much on account of your youthful appearance as of your sex. Maybe it's patronising unbeknownst to me. It would be hypocritical of me to apologise, though, since I acted from a fear of giving offence to you on shallow grounds.

Oh, no offence was taken! I was just saying, really, don't feel a need to stand on ceremony. The title has its uses but isn't necessary for everyday friendly conversation. :)

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm not sure what point you're making? I really do find some people patronising and dismissive of me. Not many, but it does happen.

It's no big deal for me to address someone presenting herself in her professional attire, as you do in your photo, by her formal title. Is Paidiske your Christian name ? If recognisable as such, that would perhaps have evoked a more conversational attitude in this respondent, anyway.

It must seem as if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, to you, but you probably have most of your life, never, mind professional life ahead of you, and it will be important you don't give out mixed messages, messages which might confuse some dolts, such as yours truly.

That is patronisng, but I'm 75 and perhaps old enough to be your great grandfather, so rightly or wrongly in this context, I claim the right - as well as pointing out that I could have interpreted your invitation : 'Hey, don't worry about addressing me formally...', as a little patronising, as well as confusing. And yes, I understand that age does not necessariy confer wisdom. Alas !!!

It concerns the difference between conferring something on a person in a spirit of magnanimity, and conceding it as no more than such as is due to them - which latter, I believe, is what you would have intended. The laity have to get 'deep down and dirty' in the world in our struggles, and our pastors from a more detached vantage point, to help us to keep our lives within the context of Christ's teachings, on a day to day, week to week, level. Pope Francis was speaking about this kind of complementaryl witness of clergy and laity earlier this week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, Paidiske isn't my given name. It's just one I've chosen for online stuff. I'm sorry for the confusion; where I live, use of titles to address people is unusual and suggests an uncomfortable distance, and I was just trying to be friendly.

And yes, I take your point about giving vs. conceding authority to the laity; poor choice of language on my part there.

Reactions: paul becke
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It could be anything. Someone you met, haven't met. I have found that lately I'm feeling a bit hurt. Has it happened to you?
Yep.

Sometimes people get personal. Most time I can brush it off, sometime I can't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
No, Paidiske isn't my given name. It's just one I've chosen for online stuff. I'm sorry for the confusion; where I live, use of titles to address people is unusual and suggests an uncomfortable distance, and I was just trying to be friendly.

And yes, I take your point about giving vs. conceding authority to the laity; poor choice of language on my part there.

Worse things happen at sea, as they say, Paidiske. You might find parts of the article on 'clericalism' by Pope Francis, linked below, interestingly consonant with the point you make ; though I believe he had more dire and unequivocal instances of clericalism in mind than the matter of formal and informal modes of address. It has, after all been a besetting distortion of our Catholic church's witness down the centuries - not to mention triumphalism, legalism, self-referentialism, etc, upon which Francis has dilated in the past ; which is not intended by me to downplay its strengths and positive gifts.

http://www.lastampa.it/2014/02/12/e...-and-laity-vtbAcasqGMrVG4MatBM3kK/pagina.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep.

Sometimes people get personal. Most time I can brush it off, sometime I can't.
I'm surprised. You always come across as someone that could easily brush it off. Funny how we perceive each other on the net.

Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour
It could be anything. Someone you met, haven't met. I have found that lately I'm feeling a bit hurt. Has it happened to you?

A young Benedictine monk once remarked to me how strange it was that God so often seemed to lay the heaviest crosses on the most sensitive and vulnerable of his children - citing, as an instance, the Little Flower.

In more general terms than forums, I've found a similar connection between first experiences with other people in the course of a day to that of King David, when he stated what kind of news a messenger still, in the distance, would be bearing for him, on the basis of the identity of the messenger. Briefly, slights, hurts, offences, tend to come 'in twos', at least, on a given day ; and likewise a bright, friendly reception by others will set the pattern for much of the day. Strange....

As for forums, I tend to give as good as I get, and am then banned. My experience in life has been that tackling someone on a subject, can be a much more expeditiously effective way of dealing with them, than 'turning the other cheek' - which they evidently rely on, brave souls that they evidently are.

I'm alluding more specifically to the 'know-nothing', young atheists who come on here , sneering and posturing, and then go running off to the mods, whining that I've been rude and unkind to them !!!! I have too much self-respect to let them get away with their nonsense by running to the mods to complain, instead of shooting their nonsense down in flames, giving it something of a rough landing.

What some might consider a heavy cross, to others, somewhat seasoned in the faith, with all its ups and downs, it might seem more like 'water off a duck's back'. But the day anyone was fully resistant to personal hurt, would be a sorry day for mankind, wouldn't it. How many of have cried out, 'How long, Lord ? How long ?', echoing none other than wild man, yet somewhat timorous Christian, Hunter S Thompson, when things started to close in on him - as well, of course, as the souls of the martyrs under the altar, in the Apocalypse. When Thompson did pay tribute to a Christian, and/or Gospel values, he wrote like genius.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul becke

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland.
✟205,214.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Politics
UK-Labour

Strange thing is, Michie. I haven't found it difficult to forgive people who have maligned me in a big way, over a period of time ; maybe, alas, because it's a sin I can identify with all too closely. No, it's the deep, casual malice/wickeness of very pusillanimous strangers, usually accompanied by a leer. When I've stared back at males of that persuasion, angrily, they've just gone to pieces, flustered, and wishing they were anywhere but there. A girl a little further down at the large table we were sitting at in one of Edinburgh's main libraries nearly laughed out loud when she saw one occasion when it happened.

Recently, I responded like that to a young bloke, (less pusillanimous, more serious, than the others), who could probably have pushed me over me with his index finger, but fortunately for me perhaps it was in his workplace. That's how I interpreted his departure, anyway.

The people who saw it were more amused a little later, because as I went round the back of my car to get in it, I staggered somewhat - as is my wont these days, as I negotiate my way around furniture, etc.

Normally, I ignore hostile behaviour like that. 75 is no age to get involved in a car-park, street fight, an affray - never was as far as I was concerned - but I was outraged, as I was bringing some flowers to leave at my wife's memorial rose-bush at the crematorium, and God seemed to prompt me to keep staring at the lad. Anyway, another way to look at it - which did occur to me - was, heck, how much life is left in this old rat-bag anyway. If I had to spend the rest of my limited number of days, drinking my meals though a straw, it would hardly be the tragedy it would be for a young bloke. More like another part of life's rich pageant, in the immortal words of the Gallic suiper-sleuth, Inspector Clouseau aka Peter Sellers.

Like those scurrilous Blues Brothers, I'm on a mission from God, it seems, when I go to lay ma floowers at the foot of Anthea's rose bush ! I'd better watch out for that Mother Superior with her cane, next time. I once (a good while ago, now) read in a UK newspaper that being a Catholic in our prisons (where we are apparently over-represented... !) carried a certain 'cachet', and suspected it was due to the Pelagianism and excessive legalism, carried over from the previous, Tridentine dispensation ; which, incidentally, counter to the burden of both Old and New Testaments, used to tout the rich as, generally, in their outlook, paragons of Judaeo-Christian virtue, instead of the poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0