Has anyone experienced being in a church where they just don't fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamsAreFree

Ps46:10 Jer33:3
Sep 20, 2008
✟8,389.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Especially if it's been for a while?

I've been in a church where I made it all the way to the highest levels of leadership yet I was always a misfit. It was a really difficult few years but I find it's really shaken my confidence. It's not all about me, though I'm not perfect, there were factors outside myself that contributed.

What happened for you once you got out? Did you find a church you fitted in? Did you recover from the experience?

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ha ha. I find that when I get into leadership, people start making comparisons.. they want to see how everyone fits in the structure, and how they themselves fit. Subtle competitions and jealousies arise, often unspoken.

In a way, we are all misfits. Each of us is different, and we usually imagine that more people are similar to us. When we get deeper into personal relationships, we realize that we'd made assumptions about how others thought. The Body of Christ was intended to support this diversity, but it is a constant challenge.

If you don't fit, that is a good thing. It means that you fill that open gap in balance and giftings.

The busier I get at church, the more I wish all these people would just get away and let me get things done, lol. Church would be easier to run without people! And the deeper I get to know people, the more I wish I didn't know their weaknesses. We all have weaknesses, or things that irritate others for no apparent reason.

After hitting a few ends, I realized that I wanted to fit, but God didn't necessarily want me to be locked into fit. So instead of praying for God to help me find a good church, I started to ask Him to use me wherever I was, and send me where He needed me.

It is natural to pick churches as a declaration of what we stand for -- like the way we decorate our homes or pick our cars. We instinctively want a good fit, a match.

But you are mature now, and capable of initiating, not just leading. Jesus sent people outward. What you have gained in leadership could be just what a weaker church needs.

Too many mature people in a church can be deadly. There is a sort of cannibalism that develops -- too many good people wanting to express their gifts and experience will dead-end any project. Having more flow is healthy. A drive where people feel they are accomplishing something needed, can be invigorating.

What happened for you once you got out?
I've done this multiple times, and I am always impatient about establishing myself at the new place. People want to think you are inexperienced and maybe even new to the faith when you arrive on their scene. It can take a year or longer to be trusted with responsibility.

Then there is the issue of the game. It is painful to re-establish, but partly because of the volunteer nature of the organization. With more openness in who can lead, compared to a corporation, people strive amongst themselves instead of against The Man. In a workplace, assignments are made more professionally, less personally.

A strange heirarchy forms, and we have to catch ourselves for playing a game of competition, making sure we are respected ... when initially, we just wanted to serve.

A solution I have found, is to raise up others to lead. When entering a new church, instead of offering to teach a class, tell the leaders that you would like to train. That takes a burden off their shoulders, for finding and coordinating volunteers. For instance, if you know the sound system, make a training manual and have a training session.

You are clearly up for a shift in how you serve the Body of Christ. Keep maturity in the back of your mind ... what does maturity look like. What should an experienced, devoted Christian be doing within the large Kingdom.

Reactions: drich0150
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2008
✟7,872.00
Faith
Christian
Pray, listen to God, walk step by step still listening to him. Obey God exactly. Keep asking, and listening, moving ahead step by step. That's all any of can do.

I don't fit in, because of missions...and the need for help to fund my activities...so practically speaking, if I don't fit in, fine...but when I am shunned cuz I need funding I have to leave because i can't fulfill my mission from God through that group of Christians.

When looking for a good Church, I find it incredibly hard...I have been without a church for ten years now...but I am always looking

It seems a lot of churches have a closed system to intinerant missionaries...so I don't fit in...not my fault, I am still focused on the future missions activities, not the fact I don't have a church.

What God wants is the priority.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,247,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

I've been in a church where I made it all the way to the highest levels of leadership yet I was always a misfit. It was a really difficult few years but I find it's really shaken my confidence. It's not all about me, though I'm not perfect, there were factors outside myself that contributed.

What happened for you once you got out? Did you find a church you fitted in? Did you recover from the experience?

Just about every church I've attended over the past 10 years or so have felt like a poor fit for me.

I think it just has to do with the dynamics inherent in any large organization or institution.

The trick, I believe, is to try not to equate God with the church institution. In other words, just because things may feel a bit amiss with regards to how you feel you're fitting-in with the congregation, doesn't mean that things are necessarily amiss between you and God.

When I step back and look at the hundreds of different Christian denominations that are out there, I realize that trying to fit into just one is futile, because in order to succeed in doing that, I would have to ignore the fact that the one congregation I'm trying so desperately to assimilate myself into is really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to all things God-related.

I now actually prefer to not fit in, because not every facet of any single congregation I join is going to be sound enough on all points of doctrine/theology to warrant such an effort to fully assimilate on my part. In other words, no single church building houses The Final Word On All Things Divine, so I find that my desire for discernment will often result in the feeling that I'm not fitting in.

I hope all that makes sense! :)

Upvote 0
F

followingJesus1

For several years I have gone to different churches and each time I have always felt out of place. There was one church I went to for a while. But, eventually I just stopped going because I just lost interest in going there due to always feeling out of place. I eventually just stopped looking for a church because I got tired of going to different churches all the time. I then just started praying about it and basically just said that if God wanted me to go to church then He would have to lead me to where He wants me to be. Well, I never expected it to turn out the way that it did that's for sure.
I ended up finding this church online actually. I kept feeling like it was something I was to get involved with. Then one night after praying, asking if this was God's will and to show me, I had a dream. In the dream I was going to other churches and trying to join the ministry at these other churches, but it was like I couldn't find a place there. So, I went and sat down almost crying and one of the people from this church I felt I was to get involved with came over to me, took me by the hand, and led me through a doorway to another place. She said, "Come with me. You have a place here." and led me to where they were all in ministry practice, placing me among them. I just fit right in and started practicing with them like I had always been there.
It just seemed that dream was God's way of showing me that in this particular church is where He wants me. And, I just feel such peace about it. It just seems like that's where I am to be and I don't feel out of place with it. Here, they just focus on God and His Word. It's not so much about everyone fitting in necessarily, they just love everyone that walks through the doors.

Upvote 0

joel_walks

May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know exactly what you mean, friend. I too have experienced this feeling of rejection. A church I attended for around 4 years, became an uncomfortable place to be. The church and youth seemed to form their own little cliques which did not include me in it. As much as I tried I wasn't accepted to be one of them. This is mostly due to my introverted lifestyle. It brought me tears more than once that no one wanted to hang around me, or talk to me apart from the polite 'Hello, how are you' rhetoric.

The church was making me a miserable and uncomfortable. I stopped attending the church when my new (at the time) Girlfriend, asked me to come to her church, which was the Salvation army. It was such a breath of fresh air when, I was embraced by everyone in the church. Everyone wanted to make conversation with me, there were no groups, there was just one big group working in unison.

The point of this story is, you're going to come across churches that seem to reject you even if you do become an important part of it. You're going to want to stay and see if this work out. I waited around 'til things would get better for me, instead of praying and asking what I should do. Fortunately, he brought some into my life to lead me to a more comfortable church.
There are other churches out there, better churches in some cases. By which I mean better compatibility with your unique personality. You will find the perfect church for you, don't ever think you have to settle.

Anyway, that's my two cents

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I ended up finding this church online actually. I kept feeling like it was something I was to get involved with. Then one night after praying, asking if this was God's will and to show me, I had a dream. In the dream I was going to other churches and trying to join the ministry at these other churches, but it was like I couldn't find a place there. So, I went and sat down almost crying and one of the people from this church I felt I was to get involved with came over to me, took me by the hand, and led me through a doorway to another place. She said, "Come with me. You have a place here." and led me to where they were all in ministry practice, placing me among them. I just fit right in and started practicing with them like I had always been there.
How exciting!

And I like that it was God who led you there as a church, because we tend to feel guilty for not settling at a traditional church -- if God is your standard for guilt, and He's the one directing you there, then this opens up a fresh outlook on what God wants in a church for us.

The fellowship, sharing what God was doing, was what motivated the early Christians to meet in homes.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

Yes, I understand and have been in a simlar situation, my best advice is to let God lead your heart, maybe you will have to stay, leave or just leave for a season. Churches are just like people and full of people, as time passes sometimes years. Just like people change, churches can change. Sometimes you just have to stay in prayer and follow God,Follow your heart as God leads it.

Upvote 0

Bobby1812

New Wine Club
Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
✟7,655.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Practically speaking, differences will always exist and if you have to leave the church, it is not the end of the world or the end of how God can use you.

If you have decided to leave, then prayerfully ask God for alternative.
And if you have a proven ministry to contribute, i am sure churches will be glad to benefit from your service.

As in every organisation (and church too), human differences sometimes are the biggest barriers against the organisation going forward

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

This could describe my entire childhood and early adulthood. I never fit in. Once I got out, I didn't go to church anywhere for a long time.

My Journey to Orthodox Christianity:
I was raised Pentecostal. I wanted to believe that the holy scriptures were what they claimed to be, but I had some difficulties, I must admit. It does boil down to the ultimate question of whether God exists or not, and how does one know?

I don't consider what I went through to be a true deconversion. I had been a hard core believer for most of my life and never thought I'd change either. However, when it happened, it was enough for me to post a deconversion testimony on a website for former Christians.

It was heartbreaking for me and I really had a difficult time. I did go through my own dark night of the soul. At the same time, I was also overjoyed with not having to go to church anymore, as I truly lost all sense of church services etc. even being remotely useful or relevant to my life. It all seemed so pointless. I saw this huge disconnect between the Church that the New Testament spoke about and what I was seeing in the Pentecostal, Baptist, and independent Christian churches I had gone to every Sunday and Wednesday of my life.

I didn't consider going to those churches that were considered more 'liberal' because while social justice issues are important, I didn't see the point in calling themselves Christian if they were rejecting the fundamentals of the faith anyway. I figured I could be involved in helping others, be more honest with myself in the process, and sleep in on Sundays. Everything I had ever encountered in Christianity seemed to be well intentioned, but wrong somehow.

I began calling myself a Deist, but I wasn't satisfied with that and started researching other religions and philosophies. I liked Taoism, but I honestly didn't see anything else that I considered worth my time to believe in. I couldn't call myself an atheist because I had a few experiences in my life that made me aware of a spiritual world out there. However, knowing this didn't make finding the truth an easy process, and skeptics had a lot of good questions that I began to examine as my own.

Long story short, I was a jaded and bitter individual. I felt I had good reason to be as I had a lot of negative religious/spiritual experiences. I understand where people are coming from who are angry, because I can relate to an extent. However, my bitterness began to turn into hatred of all things Christian, to the point where I started to see that I was becoming the sort of person I didn't want to be. I didn't like myself at all.

I didn't give up my search though. I read a lot. I sent desperate, pleading prayers out for God (if He even existed) to lead me to the truth. It was coming across Orthodox Christianity on the net that piqued my interest. I thought I knew everything about Christianity- enough to know that all the groups I was familiar with weren't going to cut it for me. I found the only Orthodox book at my local Barnes and Noble and bought the beat up and bent copy of it. I read it, I was cautious about it, I tried to dismiss it (but it kept coming to mind), and I eventually decided that I wanted to go visit an Orthodox church. (This wasn't my first time in an Orthodox Church, and in fact, I decided to visit the same church I had once visited when I was seventeen-roughly twelve years before- for a comparative religions class in college. It had fascinated me to the point it was all I could talk about for at least a week, but I had no desire in those days before the internet was more than a university thing, to look into the faith seriously at that time.)

If I recall correctly, I think it was the Orthodox teaching on hell that really swayed me. It’s not the same. I could never buy into the whole Jonathan Edwards’ Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God thing where God hates everyone and just specifically creates people to torment for eternity. It never rang true. However, reading about what the Orthodox Church believes regarding heaven and hell, it did ring true to me.

I was very reluctant to go back to any sort of church again. The first Sunday my husband (who was agnostic at the time) and I even turned around in the church parking lot and went out for coffee instead. However, we eventually made our way in for Divine Liturgy.

How does one explain to someone else about experiencing the presence of God? All I knew was that it wasn't simply my own emotions wreaking havoc with me- some things come from outside of ourselves- and people who know themselves well can discern this difference. (I was raised Pentecostal and I am rather immune to situations designed to manipulate emotions.) It was like being confronted with all of the answers to my questions after my long search. I knew I had to convert. God was there. Christ is in the Eucharist- which is something I had difficulty accepting as I was raised to accept a very different thing as being the truth- but have certainly experienced beyond a doubt since my Chrismation. Can I prove this to you? No. Were our personal experiences enough to prove it to me and my husband? Yes.

I essentially discovered a Christianity that is an entirely different religion from what I knew before. I had to start over again completely. I couldn't go back to what I thought I knew and believed. I just couldn't. There was something missing there, or I wouldn't have been unhappy enough to leave in the first place. We have the same holy scriptures and belief in the trinity, but everything else is radically different. I somehow knew it was my only chance when I discovered the Orthodox Church.

Except, I personally need the Church. I can't go it alone. I need the liturgy, I need the Eucharist, I need the prayers of the Church, and I especially need all of the sacraments of Christ's Holy Church . I need to go the hospital for what ails me; the ark of our salvation. I need the medicine of immortality.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.