Haiti's voodoo priests object to mass burials

spidergains

Aug 23, 2008
✟922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dumping the dead in hurriedly excavated mass graves without proper rites is seen as desecration in a country where many believe in zombies -- dead bodies brought back to life by supernatural forces who could persecute the living.

Haitian officials say so far at least 50,000 bodies have been dumped in mass graves outside the shattered capital, Port-au-Prince, in what they view as the most efficient way to dispose of the fast-rotting corpses from Tuesday's disaster.

"It is not in our culture to bury people in such a fashion," Haiti's main voodoo leader, Max Beauvoir, said in a meeting with Preval.

Local radio is broadcasting messages for Haitians to put bodies recovered from under the rubble of collapsed buildings on the street for collection by garbage and other trucks.

"The conditions in which bodies are being buried is not respecting the dignity of these people," Beauvoir, who was educated at City College of New York and the Sorbonne in Paris, said in the Preval meeting this weekend.

More than half of Haiti's 9 million people are believed to practice voodoo, a religion with roots in Africa. Some 80 percent also are Catholic and most Haitians see no conflict between the two.
Haiti's voodoo priests object to mass burials | Reuters

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that non-voodoo practicing Catholics/Christians are keen on mass burial either.

People usually want to identify their loved ones before they are separately buried.

Under the circumstances, to avoid disease and illness, there may be little choice.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I don't believe that non-voodoo practicing Catholics/Christians are keen on mass burial either.

People usually want to identify their loved ones before they are separately buried.

Under the circumstances, to avoid disease and illness, there may be little choice.

If we see being buried the way you want to, or even being buried the way your family wants you to be, as some form of freedom, either of religious nature, or of our own body, have you not just argued to sacrifice freedom for the public good?

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Haiti is a country where most people still honor thier ancestors and seek thier blessing. Having thier bodies dumped in mass graves without any ritual or honoring of thier life is going to cause people who believe this way a lot more discomfort than most of us would experiance at seeing the bodies of our loved ones treated this way.

Upvote 0

craigerNY

I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I am thinking the answer is no but do they have the means as individuals to start digging some holes and taking notes? I am not religious myself but I do understand the strength of religious convictions and if my faith told me I must care for the remains of my wife in such a manner I'd be hell bent to see it out.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know, with 1/3 of my family dead and 1/3 missing... I can't say where I would be mentally. I might even push the dead from my mind till I had accounted for all the missing. Once I returned my attention to those I had lost, I think I would be pretty upset to hear their bodies had been unceremoniously dumped in a landfill.

I am thinking the answer is no but do they have the means as individuals to start digging some holes and taking notes? I am not religious myself but I do understand the strength of religious convictions and if my faith told me I must care for the remains of my wife in such a manner I'd be hell bent to see it out.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If we see being buried the way you want to, or even being buried the way your family wants you to be, as some form of freedom, either of religious nature, or of our own body, have you not just argued to sacrifice freedom for the public good?
Yes, that is pretty much what I wrote.
I can only speak for myself hypothetically. I would likely sacrifice that freedom for the health of the living.
I don't know. I would hate to be faced with the situation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

jellybean99

Make me an instrument of Peace and Safety
Aug 22, 2008
Washington
✟16,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...More than half of Haiti's 9 million people are believed to practice voodoo, a religion with roots in Africa. Some 80 percent also are Catholic and most Haitians see no conflict between the two.

13serpent.jpg

Pagan symbols adopted by Christianity

Conflict? What conflict? Roman Catholic & other church authorities will have a lot of splainin' to do come judgment day:o

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
This is relevant:

BBC News - Do dead bodies in Haiti pose a health risk?

In summary: bodies killed by natural disaster don't pose the big risk that is often associated with bodies killed by infectious diseases. And while the smell & sight of decomposing bodies certainly isn't good for the mental health, dumping people in mass graves without their loved ones being able to "say goodbye" may be even worse.

At least, that's what the article claims.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I believe it says that 80% of Haitians are Catholic. It is very clear that they are praying to the Christian G-d.
I have a very dear friend who is Haitian, and he will assure you that no where close to 80% are Catholic

I guess it depends on what constitutes Catholism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wouldn't even give it that much credit... more like confusing Hollywood horror flicks with the real world.

hmmm more along the lines of the things you had in the article you posted. :wave:
tulc(who suspects there's some confusion between actual paganism and Satanism going on here) :wave:

Upvote 0

Pinhead

Feb 26, 2009
✟15,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes. I believe it says that 80% of Haitians are Catholic. It is very clear that they are praying to the Christian G-d.

It is said that in Haiti, 80 percent of the population is Catholic and 20 percent is Protestant, but 100 percent is voodoo.

Upvote 0