Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are natural forces... some are constructive others are destructive, demons and devils however are not part of my worldview.
because they are not your worldview, does that mean they can't exist?

Point is this, I come at things differently than most at least on this issue (maybe on everything or so I'm told.;)) As I said, in the case of Haiti, I come at it from the standpoint of someone who has a very dear and beloved friend who was part of the culture, part of the worship, part of the oppression even. I add that to my own experiences and the case suddenly becomes....unclouded. Does that make me right because it's my "worldview"? Does it make you wrong, because it's my "worldview"? What it means is that we need to weigh the evidence of others views and consider that we might be wrong....if for example (and I am not making this claim, only using it as an example) if for example you get your world view of voodoo from Wikipedia, and I get mine from being in the midst of it, which would you expect to be more accurate? Which should hold more weight in learning truth?

All I'm saying to you, is not to sell yourself short by being close minded and convinced that you have all knowledge.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly people, it is in very poor taste to make fun of such a serious topic, especially when people are not only going to hell, but are suffering without water, food, and shelter right now....no matter what you think of voodoo, the suffering people of Haiti are the one's that you are making fun of, them and their beliefs...and as someone who sees these people as part of my existance, part of my people, part of my family, it is offensive the way some here pretend to know and mock what they don't know and most likely are afraid of.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find superstition to be very funny.
anything can be funny until someone gets hurt....these people are suffering and dieing at the hands of their superstitions and you sit here and laugh?

Running with scissors is fun until you fall and stab them into yourself or your child does...when your child is laying there with scissors stuck in him from running and falling, is it still fun? Do you still laugh?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm laughing for more at your superstitions.
superstitions they take very seriously, superstitions they live in daily, superstitions they hold with religious verosity....superstitions that oppress many, and hurt the innocent.

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
anything can be funny until someone gets hurt....these people are suffering and dieing at the hands of their superstitions and you sit here and laugh?
Let's have some honesty. There can be only one entity responsible for their suffering in your "Worldview", and that's who you think they should worship?

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
superstitions they take very seriously, superstitions they live in daily, superstitions they hold with religious verosity....superstitions that oppress many, and hurt the innocent.
Which superstitions are you talking about? Because that sounds like most of the major faiths, including yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's have some honesty. There can be only one entity responsible for their suffering in your "Worldview", and that's who you think they should worship?
yes and know....in all honesty...nothing is without God's permission, and yet it is not God to sends people to hell but their own pride and sinful greed. God permits them to choose, but He does not demand what or who they choose.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which superstitions are you talking about? Because that sounds like most of the major faiths, including yours.
I keep seeing comments like "including yours" but fail to recall anyone asking me what I believe or if I have demons....a certainly don't recall sharing with anyone what I believe about God or demons, so how would you, how could you possibly know if it includes mine or not?

As to the point of the post, there is a difference between superstitions and religious beliefs, all of them, that is not to say they cannot overlap, obviously they can in the case of voodoo/catholasim. But they are not the same thing...

websters~superstition~1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

religion~1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

To take it further and answer the unasked question of what I believe, Superstitions usually revolve around a variety of ritualistic things we can do to appease a god/gods/God...what I believe is that God cannot be appeased, that we need a relationship with the living God, not a ritual of appeasement because that does not please HIm, only relationship pleases, just as love returned by my husband or children would please me (that is for clarification before you try to twist it to mean appeasement of service....

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
To take it further and answer the unasked question of what I believe, Superstitions usually revolve around a variety of ritualistic things we can do to appease a god/gods/God...what I believe is that God cannot be appeased, that we need a relationship with the living God, not a ritual of appeasement because that does not please HIm, only relationship pleases, just as love returned by my husband or children would please me (that is for clarification before you try to twist it to mean appeasement of service....

going wildly off-topic here, but in the Old Testament the Jews were commanded to do all kind of things (presumably to appease God). Offerings etc. That seems to fall under your definition of superstitions?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
going wildly off-topic here, but in the Old Testament the Jews were commanded to do all kind of things (presumably to appease God). Offerings etc. That seems to fall under your definition of superstitions?
depends on your perspective...where you could make the claim that it was superstition, that of appeasing God...it was in reality (at least according to the beliefs and history of the time) about making atonement for one's sin...it was paying the price and differed greatly from the surrounding religions of the day...for example...blood is required by law (note by law not God) to atone for sin, but that blood did not have to be human...by contrast, the "pagans" had to sacrifice, but when they didn't get what they wanted the sacrifices had to become bigger and badder so to speak to the point of human sacrifice. The difference there is in accepting that blood is enough to cover over our sins or believing that the blood had to be the right type, quantity, quality, etc. and therein one hoped the gods would be please...the Jews didn't do it to please God but rather to hide their sin from God which admittedly pleased God but it wasn't His pleasure, but rather their own sin that was the root of the act.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I honestly didn't mean to scare people off...in fact, this last week, I found my dear dear Haitian friend, he is safe and his immediate family is as well...however he lost friends, family, and neighbors in the quake, his wife still has family missing, and the Haitian church they are currently apart of here are still grieving for all the loss and devistation of the people that they love and pray for daily...look at it this way, would you be laughing at the death of someone you had been praying for, someone that died in their sin? Just because we don't understand doesn't give us the right to make fun of anothers beliefs...that being said, talking about Haiti eases my own pains at their loss, don't hide just because I asked you all to respect them as Christ does....

Reactions: united4Peace
Upvote 0