Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just don't know what the big deal is....sigh Sometimes the triumphalism and the behavior that borders on "Catholics have cooties!" obsession with the Schism is as annoying within Orthodoxy as the "Anglicans are invalid and utterly void!" nasty barbs are from Catholics to Anglicans.

Attending an installation, having charity, and treating the leader of 1.2 billion Catholics with some respect, what in the world would even make this controversial? ugh......

Upvote 0

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I just don't know what the big deal is....sigh Sometimes the triumphalism and the behavior that borders on "Catholics have cooties!" obsession with the Schism is as annoying within Orthodoxy as the "Anglicans are invalid and utterly void!" nasty barbs are from Catholics to Anglicans.

Attending an installation, having charity, and treating the leader of 1.2 billion Catholics with some respect, what in the world would even make this controversial? ugh......

I haven't personally seen any controversy surrounding it yet. After multiple centuries during which both sides didn't talk to each other, it's bound to make some waves when we begin. I think that it's a minority of zealots who go into the streets shouting "Orthodoxy or death." Most that I know view it as "Glad to see we're being nice to each other."

It's important to remember that internet Orthodoxy isn't really Orthodoxy. If you go into a parish, most people won't even be talking about things like this. They'll be praying and working on repentance. If a Catholic shows up, they'll be welcomed with courtesy and respect. On the internet, these things get weird because our brains haven't evolved to the point where most of us can see people on the internet as actual human beings with real feelings, myself included.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟241,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seems like a kind gesture of friendship. I approve. My approval means nothing :)

I agree with what you said here (minus the "my approval means nothing" part). :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
just so long as we don't get bombarded with links and talks of how close union is, then whatevs. provided he just goes there to pay his respects

The EP isn't a great Ecumenist heretic like some Old Calendarists in Greece like to think he is. He knows his boundaries and the things he shouldn't ever do.

If he were to receive any sort of sacrament from the Roman Catholics, especially communion, he'd be excommunicated by most if not all the other Patriarchs and deposed pretty quickly. Thankfully he wouldn't do this since he is Orthodox and not the great heretic the Greek Old Calendarists think he is.

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

The EP isn't a great Ecumenist heretic like some Old Calendarists in Greece like to think he is. He knows his boundaries and the things he shouldn't ever do.

If he were to receive any sort of sacrament from the Roman Catholics, especially communion, he'd be excommunicated by most if not all the other Patriarchs and deposed pretty quickly. Thankfully he wouldn't do this since he is Orthodox and not the great heretic the Greek Old Calendarists think he is.
Exactly, I think HAH Bartholomew gets WAY too much flack from holier than thou types. There's nothing wrong with attending the Papal enthronement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

Adaephon

Exactly, I think HAH Bartholomew gets WAY too much flack from holier than thou types. There's nothing wrong with attending the Papal enthronement.

Oh but there will be some who freak out and say there is. Isn't the Esphigmenou Monastery brotherhood in schism right now specifically because HAH Bartholomew dared to speak to Pope Benedict XVI instead of slapping him in the face and telling him he was a heretic, or something?

Upvote 0
N

Nik0s

Oh but there will be some who freak out and say there is. Isn't the Esphigmenou Monastery brotherhood in schism right now specifically because HAH Bartholomew dared to speak to Pope Benedict XVI instead of slapping him in the face and telling him he was a heretic, or something?
It's more complicated than that lol, but the short answer is yes. The former brothers of Esphigmenou are nothing but schismatics, we should pray for their repentance and for the Lord to have mercy on them. :crosseo:

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,472,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

oh I don't think he is either, I just don't like whenever it happens, getting links and posts that talk about how iminent union is, and blah blah.

Upvote 0