Free will: may be wrong forum for this post.

Bartimaeus

Pardoned Rebel!
May 3, 2004
Standing in Grace!
Visit site
✟16,638.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am really really struggling with the idea of free will versus God's sovereignty lately. I know and understand, intellectually speaking, that God wanted us to have the freedom to love Him, he didn't want obedient little robots, but at the same time, with the way the world is going, how can God sit back and, in essence, say "Sorry, I'd fix it or change it, but you know, it's that free will thing...?"

This came up because of something my pastor talked about in church yesterday. It isn't thoroughly relevant to this topic, so I will leave it at this, it has to do with the direction America seems to be going, and something our president may well do in December. I know we're called to submit to and pray for our leaders, and that isn't my problem. I just see the evil Obama is doing, and I keep wanting to scream at God "Come on! You're God! Stop it! Don't let this happen!" But, I know God doesn't force the hands of his people, so he will let Obama do whatever he chooses to do.

I know, this is symptomatic of the age-old question "why does God allow evil?" and maybe that is what I am struggling with. It just seems as though God abdicates His sovereignty by saying "Okay, you have free will, I won't stop you from doing wrong."

I know that part of the answer to this is that there are consequences for the evil men do, but I don't see enough of those consequences in our world, and I won't lie, I feel like knowing that people will stand before God and be judged isn't enough. They're getting away with their deeds on earth, only to be punished way after all the damage has been done? It doesn't make any sense. I know, my ways are not God's ways, but sometimes I just wish God, and his ways, made a bit more sense to me. If they did, then I could use my free will to more freely obey Him, submit and surrender to Him instead of sitting around, asking "Why, God, why?" all the time.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant. I'm just really confused, and scared, and part of me is convinced that if I don't get the answer to this, if I don't properly understand free will and how it works and why, I am putting my salvation on thin ice. Please, pray for me, gently encourage and teach me. I need all the help I can get.

John Park

I Trust God Only
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
✟7,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know just how you feel. I can't stand the way things are either. The world is totally unbalanced in accordance to the laws of God. Everything has it's time and place that is preset by God. God is being very patient with mankind. He is giving everyone the opportunity to Choose Him or the world. You have to see that we were with Him before we were ever born into the flesh. We are here to overcome satan, to be able to learn how to live in peace and harmony with the laws of the universe. This is God's intention, it's easy to say, " I choose you God", but are you willing to prove it at all costs. The life here is short, shorter than most people think. You might find this hard to swallow, but me along with many others believe that people chose to have a good life here over a higher place in heaven. ( you're going to have to contemplate on that a while to understand it) We suffer to grow stronger in spirit. God's elect are people that overcame satan before the fall. God has placed them here at different times to do his work to benefit mankind, most of this work no one will see. God's elect are people that have previously given up their free will, they are people that God can trust to do His works. Each of us has a role to play according to God's will, we need to seek what God has prepared for us through our free will. If you wish to give up your free will, then call on Jesus and ask Him to get you on that road to Zion, the road back to God so that you can find your true identity. We are all born with a false identity, one that is bent towards the world. Most important, be grateful for everything. God has no place for whiners. Read Isaiah 51:11, we have the opportunity to gain this everlasting joy right here, we don't need to wait till we die. Ask Jesus for His helpp, don't try to find truth in man as many do. These articles might help as well - itrustgodonly.com/will.htm -- itrustgodonly.com/Free_Will.html May God Bless You

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sorry if this seems like a rant. I'm just really confused, and scared, and part of me is convinced that if I don't get the answer to this, if I don't properly understand free will and how it works and why, I am putting my salvation on thin ice. Please, pray for me, gently encourage and teach me. I need all the help I can get.

If this is the case, if we need to understand free will we're all lost. That is if salvation was something that God revoked based on our performance, or rather lack thereof. But since it isn't, since God knows you'll never work your way to salvation He hasn't burdened us with the impossible.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know, this is symptomatic of the age-old question "why does God allow evil?" and maybe that is what I am struggling with. It just seems as though God abdicates His sovereignty by saying "Okay, you have free will, I won't stop you from doing wrong."

Just some definitions and observations before i start (so that we are on the same page.)

Sin, anything not in the express will of God.

Evil, is malicious intent to commit sin.

Not all sin is evil, but all evil is indeed sin.

Free Will, is the ability for an individual to choose something not in the will expressed will of God.

To express "Free will" is to live in sin.

Where would you expect God to allow evil, and where would you expect Him to stop it? should it be based on this generation's personal version of righteousness? Or should there be a perfect standard in which God allows no sin? (to make us robots)

Your personal version of "righteousness" is just that. It's "righteousness" tailored to what sins are acceptable to you. Most of us wish to draw a line at our limits of acceptable sins, and condemn all who would dare cross this line.

In truth God has drawn a line that all of us have over shot, and for us to draw lines ourselves is a bit foolish. Because we all are outside of God's tolerance for sin.. You must know even at your best, your best efforts are but dirty rags to the Lord. So whether it be you telling a white lie when someone asks you how are you doing and you tell them, "OK." (and your not) or the president allowing Gay men to openly serve.. Or simply being gay.. We are all outside of the will of God, all of the time. Otherwise we would be in God's will, and not out own. If that were the case we indeed would Not have free will..

We have been given this life to prove to ourselves in whom we love more. Ourselves or our God. So when we stand before the throne (we) will have no doubt or excuse. So, in order To be given a true choice we must be allowed to live in a place free from intervention or overwhelming influence.. Otherwise what we "choose" will be meaningless.. Because if God openly stops a man like Hitler from simply destroying these mortal bodies, how much more would we expect a truly righteous God to stop us from doing something that would destroy our souls??? What kind of God would he be if He didn't stop us?

So I ask again, where should God draw the line?

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Pray. Remember, we have tools to impact change? If we choose not to pray, and then complain or cower in fear, then what has our Christianity turned into... a belief system, rather than faith.

You live in a country that is loaded with checks and balances. Representatives read their mail from constituents, and presidents are contained from going haywire by Congress. If you feel helpless, then read the bills and write your representatives. I don't mean sign the latest petition, but write your specific concerns.

Vote. Run for office. Run for school board. Start a community group that discusses issues and maybe even hires lobbyists. Bring up your concerns in conversation, and don't give up when friends demean you for what you say. Say it anyway.

As for our leaders, their decisions are not always "evil" but often uncomfortable. Sort out what you suspect will lead to danger, from what you just disagree with. There's a lot of hype out these days, in many directions.

So much information is on the Web, it is very easy to access congressional meetings and bills on the agenda. It is equally easy to send out your influence online. Be careful, though, that you're not just slamming a person that your pastor disagrees with. This has to be about you, what you believe needs to be done, and how it can get accomplished.

If you want your life to be worth something, take the risks that will make an impact.

Upvote 0
F

freeport

I am really really struggling with the idea of free will versus God's sovereignty lately. I know and understand, intellectually speaking, that God wanted us to have the freedom to love Him, he didn't want obedient little robots, but at the same time, with the way the world is going, how can God sit back and, in essence, say "Sorry, I'd fix it or change it, but you know, it's that free will thing...?"

No valleys to cross, no mountains to climb... what would we do...

I guess... paint? Farm? Herd animals? Always be happy because everything is incredibly easy and there is never any resistance?

Upvote 0

holywisdom

Oct 21, 2009
✟7,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dont worry about the evil of this world,presidents and kings of this world,know that god is in control no matter how bad it looks,we dont have to worry because we live in this world but we belong to the kingdom of god and we are just here as embassadors or citizens of the kingdom of god revealing gods nature to this evil world,the bible says that satan is the prince of this world,try not to focus on the evil of this world but focus on gods righteousness and you will find peace and comfort.

Upvote 0