Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse stormed theaters over the long weekend, critics took aim at billboards featuring Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse choking Jennifer Lawrence’s Mystique.

Among them was Rose McGowan, who elaborated on a May 25 Facebook post to THR: “There is a major problem when the men and women at 20th Century Fox think casual violence against women is the way to market a film. There is no context in the ad, just a woman getting strangled. The fact that no one flagged this is offensive and frankly, stupid.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rose-mcgowan-calls-out-x-men-billboard-that-162518329.html

Thoughts?

MennoSota

Sola Gratia
Dec 11, 2015
US
✟22,574.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Today's super hero's and villains are gender neutral in their ability to fight. Hollywood has made women out to be nearly invincible as they fight men. Since both are equals, it stands to reason that choking, grabbing, kicking, etc, will happen to all involved. In Marvel world, no one dies, they just lock their wounds to fight again.

All that to say, "It's a science fiction fantasy movie. Nothing is real and movie goers understand that. The folks who are complaining should recognize this and stop trying to make this into more than it is.
Anyway, the movie will be gone in a week or two anyhow.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there is any need for an apology. I know that the image upset some people, but almost everyone was bludgeoned or otherwise beaten up by the main baddie in that movie. I didn't see the billboard myself, but you know, these are super powerful mutants. They do a lot of bad things to each other. Mystique has done bad things to other people too. I didn't see it as "Jennifer Lawrence being strangled by a man" because, hey, she's an actress and she's not Jennifer Lawrence, she's Mystique/Raven.

I enjoyed the movie, but then I enjoy Marvel movies a lot, and I never once felt like "hey they're treating women badly." I sometimes thought they were under-dressing women, I mean this thousands of years old baddie immediately puts his "bad girl" followers into scanty clothing? Hmmm. But that's par for the course in Hollywood.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Blue scaly ginger fictional women everywhere should be terribly offended. And then feel redeemed when that particular blue scaly ginger fictional woman kicks serious backsides in the fictional movie.

Casual violence?
IT'S AN X-MEN FILM! Sequel number what? Women characters have been synonymous with major violence since the first install. A billboard is condemned because it depicts the casual violence? Yeah, a big blue gray square thing with its hand around a throat is casual.

Casual. Like that, hi, what er ya doin with that trachea in the near future? Nothing? Can I have it? Type casual. Yeah.

She's BLUE!
Are women actually offended?
Darlin if yer that blue you have about two seconds to be offended before you die of oxygen deprivation. Prioritize!

Thoughts? Yes, pretty soon we'll see a studio apologize for a cartoon movie because the animated females in the film are objectified as pixels. And that's just demeaning and sets feminism back a few X's and 0's dagnabit.

Bit! Get it? Uh oh, the Mac is calling the APCLU. I take it back .Seriously!

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just another case of seemingly progressive feminists wanting to continue the tradition of coddling women. Even when said women possesses super powers.

What I find disturbing is that these same people probably would not make a peep if the billboard instead featured a man strangling a man, or even a woman strangling a man. Sends the message that violence is somehow worse when the victim happens to be female. For a group of people claiming to want to break past gender roles, they sure seem to go out of the way to enforce the same status quo often being purported by the conservative right. Another time among countless times where men can only scratch their head and wonder what feminism is really about. Something we can't engage in because the whole movement makes little sense other than from the lens of a group of people who want special treatment.

Not to mention shallow outcries like this may even further limit the number of ways women are able to see themselves portrayed on the big screen. Men will continue to have depth of character range, while women will have to be content with Mary sues and depictions of strong women that seem all too cartoonish and forced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

"Women are as strong and resilient and capable as men!"

*5 minutes later*

"WAAAAAAH I DONT LIEK THE BILLBOARD TAKE IT DOWN"

also this

d2oqlK.jpg

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Just another case of seemingly progressive feminists wanting to continue the tradition of coddling women. Even when said women possesses super powers.

What I find disturbing is that these same people probably would not make a peep if the billboard instead featured a man strangling a man, or even a woman strangling a man. Sends the message that violence is somehow worse when the victim happens to be female. For a group of people claiming to want to break past gender roles, they sure seem to go out of the way to enforce the same status quo often being purported by the conservative right. Another time among countless times where men can only scratch their head and wonder what feminism is really about. Something we can't engage in because the whole movement makes little sense other than from the lens of a group of people who want special treatment.

Precisely. What this stuff illustrates is that women being the target of violence...is shocking. Contrast that with the milquetoast reaction violence against men gets. This is not disadvantaging women, not by a long shot. The overreaction to women being treated the same as men in film plots however might be.

Not to mention shallow outcries like this may even further limit the number of ways women are able to see themselves portrayed on the big screen. Men will continue to have depth of character range, while women will have to be content with Mary sues and depictions of strong women that seem all too cartoonish and forced.

And this is why we can't have nice things, like diversity in media. These plebs are never happy ^_^

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Today's super hero's and villains are gender neutral in their ability to fight. Hollywood has made women out to be nearly invincible as they fight men. Since both are equals, it stands to reason that choking, grabbing, kicking, etc, will happen to all involved. In Marvel world, no one dies, they just lock theirwounds to fight again.

Tell that to Quicksilver.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, a thread where I agree with every post....even Blondepudding's. :)

Will wonders never cease.
I'm glad we can all agree that sexism in a fictional universe with invincible, fighting mutants is not any kind of serious issue to debate as a country.

I feel like we've passed some kind of test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad we can all agree that sexism in a fictional universe with invincible, fighting mutants is not any kind of serious issue to debate as a country.

I feel like we've passed some kind of test.

Insignificant as it may or may not be...I'll take it too.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We are going to have to navigate a rather large number of strange cul-de-sacs as our society continues to advance toward actual gender equality. Pretending that billboards are hugely important is one of those cul-de-sacs. Putting up with morons who assume that gender equality has already been achieved is another one.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It depends, really.

Just one picture of a character (that character being female) being choked used as advertisement is okay.

Posters of a variety of characters of both genders being chocked used as advertisement is also okay.

What would not be okay would be a poster of every single female character being choked used as advertisement, and no male characters getting the same treatment.

It's not a big deal, either way.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I always thought the point of villains was to be evil. So if violence against helpless women is evil, wouldn't that be something that a villain would do? Especially one named Doomsday? Pretty sure choking naked women is going to be one of the nicer things he will do that day.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
We are going to have to navigate a rather large number of strange cul-de-sacs as our society continues to advance toward actual gender equality. Pretending that billboards are hugely important is one of those cul-de-sacs. Putting up with morons who assume that gender equality has already been achieved is another one.

Women have access to colleges and universities, (and actually do better than a lot of men). Women can enter the military. Women have the right to vote. Women hold political positions from councilwomen to mayors, to congresswomen and senators, all the way to top White House cabinet positions, including one woman who is now running for president. Women are CEO's of corporations. Where I work, over 90% of management are female, including the top management position. Many court judges, all the way to the Supreme Court, are women. These are just a few examples of gender equality in this country.

Other than Hollywood, can you follow my lead and give specific examples demonstrating gender inequality? Thanks.

Upvote 0