Fox Apologizes for 'X-Men' Billboard

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
See I told you how political correctness can tend to eat itself. What if Apocalypse is a devout Muslim?

Considering Apocalypse predates Islam by about a couple thousand years, I'd consider it unlikely.

Then you'd be a racist phobe because that's perfectly acceptable in their culture. Maybe Mystique got lippy, we don't know.

How Apocalypse's culture (or yours, for that matter) treats women who get lippy isn't the issue here... why you want to make it the issue is something of a mystery.

Of course, if you want to make this part of the war against political correctness, fear not -- I'm sure President Trump will order Fox to put the billboard back up... "And the billboard just got ten feet bigger!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's actually a very common sight on comic book covers. There are plenty of comics out there with covers where some villain has Superman under his boot, or is choking Spider-Man seemingly to death.

Indeed -- we see that all the time in comic-book culture... not so much in film advertising... drawn images of graphic violence tend to get a lot more slack than live action.

Dropping a safe on someone's head goes over a lot better on Tom and Jerry than it would on Seinfeld (who deserves it more, I leave to the philosophers).

Had this been a comic-book cover, it almost certainly wouldn't have caused any brouhaha... but when actual people (even under layers of latex) are depicted, it gets a lot more real.

And yes, there is the question: why Mystique as opposed to, say, Xavier? But it's really much ado about nothing, IMO.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ew. How strange. Glad they took it down.
I don't think there is any need for an apology. I know that the image upset some people, but almost everyone was bludgeoned or otherwise beaten up by the main baddie in that movie.
Right, but how often do you see those particular screencaps on billboards? This isn't even really about gender in my mind. That's just not something that I think should be on a billboard. Stick to neutral promotional images...

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,670.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What do you not like about the "new" Mystique? I mean, still blue, right? Still a butt kicker, right?
Nothing. I like them both, but I like Rebecca Romijn a little better than Jennifer Lawrence. It is just a personal preference, that's all. Maybe because Ronijn was the first.... Yes, they are both still as tough as nails :)

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Indeed -- we see that all the time in comic-book culture... not so much in film advertising... drawn images of graphic violence tend to get a lot more slack than live action.

Dropping a safe on someone's head goes over a lot better on Tom and Jerry than it would on Seinfeld (who deserves it more, I leave to the philosophers).

Had this been a comic-book cover, it almost certainly wouldn't have caused any brouhaha... but when actual people (even under layers of latex) are depicted, it gets a lot more real.

And yes, there is the question: why Mystique as opposed to, say, Xavier? But it's really much ado about nothing, IMO.

They probably chose mystique because hurting women does draw a more emotional reaction from people.

It is much to do about nothing.

The X-Men have always been very progressive in that they have had lots and lots of female superheros (well ahead of their time actually) and they are probably the BEST example of female heroes in comics.

If you look at that billboard and can't get the idea that it is saying that the guy is evil than you are missing the point.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It's actually a very common sight on comic book covers. There are plenty of comics out there with covers where some villain has Superman under his boot, or is choking Spider-Man seemingly to death.
Yeah Doc Ock did that regularly back in the day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The character has historically been a villain, I think.
I've watched the entirety of the series, so I know that already. However, the future was 'reset' in "Days of Future Past" I thought. Therefore the future that we saw in past movies no longer exists .. I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
She's been one of the most iconic villains in the comic book series. They've taken a villain and turned her into practically the focus of the whole series. In doing so they limit the stories they can pull from the comics which is a bummer.

On a side note: They put Jubilee in the movie again and gave her nothing to do again. They put Storm in and finally got her right. They put Psylocke in and made her a villain from the start which I found odd. They introduce Angel/Archangel and kill him which sucked. The callback to Wolverines Weapon-X outfit was great. Jean manifesting the Phoenix was awesome.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong about Mystique, maybe the next movie will have her at the head of the "Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants" after all. They've introduced Caliban this film so that's a possibility, it's also looks like the next movie will have Mister Sinister so that'll be fun.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've watched the entirety of the series, so I know that already. However, the future was 'reset' in "Days of Future Past" I thought. Therefore the future that we saw in past movies no longer exists .. I think.

The only problem with that is Days of Future Past is actually a storyline from the comics, the movie timeline they erased wasn't. It would actually make more sense to make her a villain but the actress is too popular.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
She's been one of the most iconic villains in the comic book series. They've taken a villain and turned her into practically the focus of the whole series. In doing so they limit the stories they can pull from the comics which is a bummer.

On a side note: They put Jubilee in the movie again and gave her nothing to do again. They put Storm in and finally got her right. They put Psylocke in and made her a villain from the start which I found odd. They introduce Angel/Archangel and kill him which sucked. The callback to Wolverines Weapon-X outfit was great. Jean manifesting the Phoenix was awesome.

Who knows maybe I'm wrong about Mystique, maybe the next movie will have her at the head of the "Brotherhood of (Evil) Mutants" after all. They've introduced Caliban this film so that's a possibility, it's also looks like the next movie will have Mister Sinister so that'll be fun.
Ah. I'm not a comic book person. :/ Do you really think she has become the focus? I'll have to think on that one for a while.

Just a sidenote, didn't it annoy you that Jean apparently changed her hair and eye color between teen and adult? Yes, I'm that pedantic.

How was Storm right in comparison to later Storm?

Ugh. I wish I read comics. And you don't really have to answer all of my questions. :)

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The only problem with that is Days of Future Past is actually a storyline from the comics, the movie timeline they erased wasn't. It would actually make more sense to make her a villain but the actress is too popular.
So, couldn't they now pursue the timeline from the comics and it will be as though the movie timeline never existed?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ah. I'm not a comic book person. :/ Do you really think she has become the focus? I'll have to think on that one for a while.
She went from someone who routinely tried to murder the X-Men (in the comics) to their trainer. She's the face of the new movie series as much as Prof. X is.

Just a sidenote, didn't it annoy you that Jean apparently changed her hair and eye color between teen and adult? Yes, I'm that pedantic.
Not really that much, at least they got a real ginger this time. Being a comic book fan you get used to the art style and thus outfits changing from one issue to the next so something like eye and hair color is small.

How was Storm right in comparison to later Storm?
In the comics Storm started out as a thief in Africa to later in her adult years become worshiped as a goddess in Kenya.
Halle Berry never really pulled that off for me. Alexandra Shipp did it well I think, she's from Arizona and it's just her pulling an accent but I thought it went well. She also looked the part more than Berry ever did.

This is what storm looked like in the 80's

MT9w9A.jpg

Every so often she goes back to that hairstyle but as a comic book reader that's the look I always liked for her. So really it comes down to personal preference between Shipp and Berry. There have been plenty of times where Storm had a full head of hair.

Another interesting tidbit now that Disney has brought Black Panther to the big screen is that he and Storm have a long history together. It would be really neat to see her in the planned Black Panther movie. But alas Disney owns Black Panther and Fox owns Storm, maybe if we are lucky Disney and Fox will work out a deal to get Storm in a Disney movie the same way they worked out a deal with Sony to get Spiderman into a Captain America movie.

Ugh. I wish I read comics. And you don't really have to answer all of my questions. :)
It's fine. I enjoy this stuff. And there's no time to like now to start reading comics if that's something you'd like to give a shot. The website, "comixology.com" has online comics, if you have a tablet or a smartphone you can read them there, or heck even read them in your computer browser.

They have recently started a "Unlimited" service where for 5 bucks a month you can get certain issues free. I just checked and none of the Marvel comics are unlimited. So there's that.

However Marvel has it's own Unlimited service, it's 10 bucks a month and you can read all the comics you want, many of them going back decades.

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited?...KCObjsT9c-Y3ZeeATI5xkaxBF6lL_n85BtBoC4KLw_wcB

You'll probably wonder where to start reading, that's up to you really these characters and some of these comics books are 50+ years old you will probably never catch up and that's fine because like any good soap opera every few years or so they seem to reinvent themselves.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0