✟7,806.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In dating/courting,
I believe that during courting/dating there is no touching. Not even holdings hands or kissing her/his cheek. Just passing the day together, having fun, spending time talking, that is what i think? and also going out but with groups.

What is your opinion on this?:confused:

somethingBEAUTIFUL

Feb 25, 2007
Alabama
✟8,532.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It is up to each couple.
All in all, I do not think there is a THING wrong with hand-holding and a kiss on the cheek once the relationship has progressed somewhat. There is nothing wrong with spending time together alone either.
But, like I said, it is up to each individual couple. And personally, I really like kissing my boyfriend and going out for a quiet dinner together, just the two of us. :)

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to work out if this is the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with one on one so I think it's important to see what she's like when she's just with me. It also means I can focus more on my other friends when we're in group situations and not worry about having to give her attention all the time.

On hand holding and kissing etc.: I think it's good to do them if they are expressions of how you actually feel about the person. No touching at all seems a bit silly to me, I hug my platonic friends so why not my girlfriend?

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

In dating/courting,
I believe that during courting/dating there is no touching. Not even holdings hands or kissing her/his cheek. Just passing the day together, having fun, spending time talking, that is what i think? and also going out but with groups.

I don't think I could ever date you sorry.

If I don't get some time to talk privately with my Gf during the day, then we never get to discuss the serious matters of our relationship and where we feel it is heading, and are expectations from the futre.

Without any physical contact, then I have no way to show my affection towards her in actions. Seeing as I hug, hold hands, cuddle, and even kiss my regular friends then it would be somewhat odd to then refuse to touch my Gf. As I often tell my Gf, If Jesus would cuddle Peter to his bossom, then I shouldn't have a problem hugging people either.

Upvote 0

waxlion10

Just shut up and be delicious- Dwight
Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In dating/courting,

I hope you find a young woman who shares these beliefs. I certainly do not :) I love that my boyfriend shows his affection for me by putting his arm around me, hugging me, kissing me, holding my hand, stroking my hair when I'm bawling because my grandpa just died. I'm sorry, but a kind word just wouldn't have been enough in that situation.

I agree with what's been said about platonic friends- I hug my girl and guy friends... why not my boyfriend?
I would really miss play fighting/wrestling with him and tickling him, too! Those are just really fun ways for us to goof around in our relationship :)

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hold these opinions? :)

Upvote 0

abelieverinChrist05

Dec 17, 2007
Escondido,CA
✟7,806.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hope you find a young woman who shares these beliefs. I certainly do not :) I love that my boyfriend shows his affection for me by putting his arm around me, hugging me, kissing me, holding my hand, stroking my hair when I'm bawling because my grandpa just died. I'm sorry, but a kind word just wouldn't have been enough in that situation.

I agree with what's been said about platonic friends- I hug my girl and guy friends... why not my boyfriend?
I would really miss play fighting/wrestling with him and tickling him, too! Those are just really fun ways for us to goof around in our relationship :)

If you don't mind me asking, why do you hold these opinions? :)

Because i've been taught that way. I used to have a girlfriend but when i was not a christian and i was affectionate with her. So, yeah, i've been taught about this and its called courtship. In courtship there is no physical contact just complimenting each other and knowing each other. But now im just friends with this girl at church.:)

Upvote 0

waxlion10

Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because i've been taught that way. I used to have a girlfriend but when i was not a christian and i was affectionate with her. So, yeah, i've been taught about this and its called courtship. In courtship there is no physical contact just complimenting each other and knowing each other. But now im just friends with this girl at church.:)

That's great as long as your future girlfriend/courtship partner is ok with this :)
However, please keep in mind that not all "courtship" relationships subscribe to the "no touching" rule :)

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In dating/courting,

My opinion is that I like what we do in my relationship, in which there is quality time spent together AND lots of snuggling, handholding, and kissing.

Upvote 0

somethingBEAUTIFUL

Feb 25, 2007
Alabama
✟8,532.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious about this kind of "no touching" courtship. Does that mean you do not touch one another at ALL until the day you are married? What happens if you bump into one another or your hands brush by accident? Is that awkward?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OP> I would challenge you to do some self thought on why you think things are like this. None of those restrictions are placed by the bible.

The reason I say this is that I become afraid that people start to use their lack of engaging in physical affection (aka Purity) as something for pride or to almost brag about. Others I feel like they do it for attention. I've never heard a real God centered reason for this other then something like "Well if I hold hands I'll become extremely tempted to have sex."

If you have a God centered reason as to why you do don't do those things, more power to you. However if you think about this and you realize its more about you then it is about God, then you would be better off by not doing it. Also if you are trying to do it in some sort of effort to make up for your past then look at my avatar, give it all up, and do things in your own way so long as it doesn't lead to sex.

Upvote 0

NotHardcore

makes the rockin' world go 'round
Sep 16, 2006
Long Island, NY
✟19,668.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In dating/courting,

In my opinion, that is not a romantic relationship...that's just a really awkward friendship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

waxlion10

Mar 27, 2006
United States
Visit site
✟10,368.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand the reasons for being conservative. Me I am weak I could not be in a relationship without physical contact. I am not saying I am right, It is just hard for me not to want to have physical contact.

That doesn't mean you're "weak" :) I think that most of us want physical contact. I do; I don't think I'm "weak" because of that.

Upvote 0

abby2009

Mar 3, 2009
Bt Batok
✟15,113.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the first place.. dating and courtship are 2 different issues..i agree that during courtship there shouldn't be much physical contact or too much alone time, that should be the phase where u each establish why u like the other party, so that when the feelings fade away (they will), you'll be reminded why u chose him/her in the first place. And after the feelings fade, after you've both gotten at least one spiritual mentor (someone who'll hold your relationship accountable), after you're certain this relationship will honor God, then u guys can start dating, which means you're OFFICIALLY a couple, then i think that physical contact and alone time is perfectly alright. Just don't go too far and avoid the obvious pitfalls like premartial sex etc.

The most important things.. sounds really dumb.. but.. You shouldn't be each others' first love, that position is reserved for our Lord.
=)

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't survive. :) Nor could anyone else whose love language is physical touch.

So true.

I dated a girl for awhile who was extremely anti-physical touch. Her love language was gifts (mostly receiving them...). My highest love language is physical touch and my lowest is gift giving/receiving. That relationship didn't last long because we couldn't connect on levels that were important to us.

Upvote 0