Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In another thread I mentioned walking out on Sunday School last week. A woman had used the word "queer" in a disparaging way and I took offense. It wasn't just that one comment, though, it was the entire overtone of the Sunday School class. I was getting the feeling you had to be a conservative Republican in order to fit in, and frankly, I ain't one.

The individual woman apologized to me. But in meeting with the pastor last Tuesday, I learned that some of the other members of the Sunday School were a bit intimidated by my walking out. He said he wouldn't think less of me if I didn't, but it might be a good idea for me to apologize to the class. I prayed about it, and this morning (how fortuitous that the topic was accepting other believers and their differences) I said:

"Speaking of accepting differences, I would like to apologize to anyone who was traumatized by my walking out last week. I'm quite sensitive to political discussions, and it honestly didn't occur to me that I could just speak up and disagree."

And consensus of the group was that they appreciated the apology, but admittedly they had gotten quite vociferous with their opinions. No one blamed me.

We are now formally joining the church. Hubby has not yet been baptized by immersion and it being a Southern Baptist church, this is a prerequisite. Well, he has a bit of social anxiety and would feel better if I went through it with him. I've done that before, been baptized along with a newcomer. Now, he is not a newcomer to the faith, but he was raised Lutheran and was baptized by sprinkling as a baby. His study of Scripture convinces him to go the immersion route, but he just doesn't want to be fussed over by the church. He'd rather do it, get it over with, and have it more or less ignored, rather than be swooped down on with a bunch of congratulations.

Actually, he would rather have had it done privately, just the pastor and me; his social anxiety is that great. But he feels that Luke 12:8 asks him to make his profession of faith publicly. I asked if he had any trouble standing up beside me, in the presence of others, and declaring his commitment to me. And he said that truthfully, yes, that was difficult for him.

He is a bus driver and works with the public. He hides his social anxiety very well. It's just that by the time he's done with work, he's had all the social interaction he can stand.

So, we are both going to be baptized by immersion next Sunday. I already have been, but I'm walking through it with him.

There are a lot of topics in this post. Anyone is free to take it in any direction. Water baptism, rebaptism, apologies when you know you're really in the right, social anxiety, whatever tanget anyone wants to go onto.

Last edited:

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
That was very gracious of you to apologize. I think I would have been too proud to do that. And it sounds like it ended up well, I commend you. I don't think it was right of the pastor to ask you to do that.

Congratulations to your husband on his upcoming baptism. I understand his anxiety to some degree, as an introvert I find having lots of social interaction exhausting and sometimes more is the last thing I want.

I think rebaptism is weird. We talk about "one baptism for the forgiveness of sins" and so to do it again -- what is the point? When we are marked as Christ's own forever, what more can come from being redunked. I hope that doesn't sound too blunt, those are my first thoughts.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was very gracious of you to apologize. I think I would have been too proud to do that. And it sounds like it ended up well, I commend you. I don't think it was right of the pastor to ask you to do that.

Congratulations to your husband on his upcoming baptism. I understand his anxiety to some degree, as an introvert I find having lots of social interaction exhausting and sometimes more is the last thing I want.

I think rebaptism is weird. We talk about "one baptism for the forgiveness of sins" and so to do it again -- what is the point? When we are marked as Christ's own forever, what more can come from being redunked. I hope that doesn't sound too blunt, those are my first thoughts.

That's OK, I'm looking for everyone's thoughts, regardless. Yeah, I agree with you, my first baptism was the one that "counted." But I've done it before, kind of walked a newcomer through the door, on two occasions in fact. The pastor is good with the idea. I don't put it in the same class with getting "re-saved," which would be totally unnecessary.

The pastor did say he wouldn't think less of me if I didn't apologize, but I prayed about it and decided to. Thanks for commending and supporting me. :hug:

Upvote 0

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
does your church offer the option of a private - family only baptism for your DH?

I know my pastor has done that a couple of times for folks who were more comfortable that way - to me that makes a bit more sense than you being rebaptized (the one exception to rebaptism is if someone is baptized as an infant - in that case I do think a believer's baptism is right)

also - I appreciate your apologizing to the Sunday school class for distressing them, but at the same time I also want to say kudos to you for taking a stand against what was apparently inappropriate behavior. I have a problem when we, as Christians (speaking generally), disparage a group of people created in God's image. I don't have a problem identifying a sin, but I do have a problem with ridiculing others on the basis of said sin.

Upvote 0

Ryft

Nihil sine Deo.
Jan 6, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
✟16,078.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Man, I really know a thing or two about "social anxiety." It is not a very enjoyable existence, given all the pressures a person experiences to be 'social'.

It is one of the greater difficulties I have with going to church. You see, I love going to church, I love being in the house of God and worshiping him, singing praises and spending time being edified in his Word; however, at the same time a lot of people at church really want to engage me socially, embracing me as a brother in Christ, talking to me, inquiring about my life, encouraging me to participate in this or that, inviting me to services and events, etc.

For someone who suffers from "social anxiety," these engagements are not as welcomed and enjoyable as they're intended to be. It makes me horribly uncomfortable—as irrational as that is, admittedly. I wish I could enjoy these engagements in the spirit they are intended. I wish I was a 'normal' human being. I wish I didn't have to live a duplicitous existence, having to exert all this strength in being someone I'm not just so that I don't put such well-meaning people off with what my true reaction is; they need not suffer any degree of the burden I must carry.

P.S. edb19—I love Donald Fortner. He is truly a gifted minister. "Worship is more than an act of devotion and more than a religious ceremony. Worship is the submission and consecration of ourselves and all things to the will and glory of our God."

Reactions: edie19
Upvote 0

PolarBear3

Jul 4, 2008
North Carolina
✟7,791.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Like Ryft, I completely understand the social anxiety thing too. I love going to church, but the fellowship times are incredibly hard and having to stand up in front of church ... well, I've forced myself through it to be baptized and join churches, but it's been very difficult. It's great that you're being supportive of your husband through his struggles.

Kathy

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The baptismal ceremony was very nice. Someone had mentioned the possibility of a private family-only baptism. That's what hubby had wanted at first, but apparently they don't do that at this church. Frankly, I suspect the pastor was eager to try a simul-dunk, since we both went under at the same time. I had never experienced that before. The pastor had never done a double baptism before. One at a time, yes, but never both going under at once. And neither the church nor I had never seen it before. So it was a first all around.

Pardon my brevity, but I have a sprained hip and am on pain meds and can hardly think. :tutu:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS: Just a note. As hubby becomes more familiar with the individuals in the church, and becomes more comfortable, we are even starting to inch our way into the social activities. We actually took the grandkids to a Thanksgiving banquet. Having them along helps greatly, because we both love them and want to make life as good for them as we can.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
God bless you for having the humility to apologize to the class that would of been something that I couldn't do heh.

On the idea of Baptism while I think that God's Baptism is valid once and does not need to be re-performed regardless of method (one of several reasons I didn't join a baptist church, they don't recognize my Catholic baptism as legitimate) I am happy for your husband and I hope for the best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingLifeHisWay

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.
Oct 25, 2006
✟16,170.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there. :wave:

I used to be active here at CF a while back but left for a long while. Am returning now and visiting different forums. I've never been to Moderate before but a friend mentioned it.

Congrats on your hubby's baptism, it's such an exciting time. I wish I could do mine again. :) Silly really I guess but I was baptized 3 months after being saved and although it was an amazing experience I was such a babe and my relationship with Jesus is just so much more beautiful now, more deep - would like to do all over again. :tutu:

I know a thing or two about social anxiety, I struggle with it daily. The Lord has helped me overcome so much but I still have a long way to go.

Upvote 0

Moriah_Conquering_Wind

Mar 6, 2006
✟34,174.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What she said. Add to that, no way in heaven, hell or earth would Moriah have ever joined that congregation after such an experience.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟842,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What she said. Add to that, no way in heaven, hell or earth would Moriah have ever joined that congregation after such an experience.
Can hardly blame Moriah. I am hoping the Lord will lead us to another church soon--but it's where hubby wants to go, and I don't want to fight about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums