Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There's a fitness fad in east Asia, especially among older people, called Slow Jogging. It's jogging that is done very slowly, around a fast walking pace. Target heart rate is around 114 for somebody my age (138 - half your age is the target heart rate), with a cadence of around 180 bpm. It looks like a way to ease into jogging for somebody that is out of shape, and isn't as crazy as just going out and running. So, I created a basic running workout for my watch, and I'll have to give it a try some time.

There's a whole Youtube channel with instructions and tips.

Here's a video explaining Slow Jogging. It is a program created by the late Prof. Hiroaki Tanaka of Fukoka University. The pace is called Niko Niko (which means something like "lots of smiles") because it's suppossed to be done at an easy pace.

The late professor explaining his technique:

Some more elaborations on the technique, this one relatively recent:

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sounds similar to Couch 2 Run, It's a combination of walking and jogging that builds over time to get you acclimated.

IMO, jogging is best when a person weighs less and is relatively lean. If a person is overweight, as most Americans are, walking a couple thousand steps extra each day is usually going to be sufficient.

Upvote 0