Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Timex Sinclair 1000 followed by a TI-99/4A in about '84. Then a $2200 ACER Desktop with a 8084 processor, and a 20 Meg hard drive. and a phone modem when I jumped onto the net back about '93 or so.

The earliest one I dealt with, though, was back in '63 at work where we had a Packard Bell "suitcase desktop computer" with an 8-bit circulating mercury delay line memory that would hold about 2,300 words, and an Friden Flexwriter with paper tape to communicate with it. It was used by AFCRL Cambridge research labs in conjunction with a Radar system, to search for "ionized Meteor trails".

Then in 1971, we applied a Digital Equipment Corp PDP-8, and 14 system to automate a punch press system. It used Magnetic tape (since "floppys" didn't exist yet), and had to be loaded by hand toggling in a "Rim loader", which loaded the paper tape BIN loader, that enabled the system to communicate with the ASR33 Teletype.
Now*that* is old school!
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The first comp my family bought, I have no idea what the name of it was but it cost $12000.00 used. It had no hard drive to save stuff on so we used floppy disks. The second was an Omega that my brother bought. My first one was a Presario, I think that was the name of it.

Upvote 0

TN_Lisa

Nov 5, 2010
Nashville, TN
✟7,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first computer was a 1997 Packard Bell that had a 2 gig hard drive and ran Windows 95. In 1999 my husband and I decided we needed more storage so we upgraded to a 10 gig hard drive and also upgraded to Windows 98. It died shortly after that. ^_^

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
My first computer was a 1997 Packard Bell that had a 2 gig hard drive and ran Windows 95. In 1999 my husband and I decided we needed more storage so we upgraded to a 10 gig hard drive and also upgraded to Windows 98. It died shortly after that. ^_^
We had one of those. Utter piece of garbage. Packard Bell is still in business selling that junk in countries that are not the US.
;)

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

It's me! Who else could it be...
Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I actually built my first computer, in 1980, from a kitset as it was cheaper than buying it ready assembled. It was called the Acorn Atom and had a 1MHz CPU and 2K RAM but could only use 0.5K RAM for user applications.

300px-Acorn_atom_zx1.jpg

I think if Acorn had dominated the computing industry like IBM and Microsoft then we would be way more advanced than the mess we have today. Unfortunately Acorn Computers is but a distant memory although, they left us the legacy of the ARM processor which will probably dominate in the next few years - so they kinda did it!

Upvote 0

truthislight

Jan 6, 2013
USA MD
✟7,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i dont remeber 100% but im pretty sure it was a home built no more then 256 mb hard drive pc. with a two and a half by two foot moniter that protruded vast amounts of heat off the top back.

My father (im adopted just for age gap clarification) owned the first version of windows that had four ms dos looking windows on the home screen. LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
i dont remeber 100% but im pretty sure it was a home built no more then 256 mb hard drive pc. with a two and a half by two foot moniter that protruded vast amounts of heat off the top back.

My father (im adopted just for age gap clarification) owned the first version of windows that had four ms dos looking windows on the home screen. LOL

Ah, the good old days of ginormous CRT monitors and hard drives that measured in megabytes. I remember one of the first times I heard of someone getting a computer with a three gigabyte hard drive, I was like...

pi-pie-314-mind-blown-LOL_zps582517a3.jpeg

Upvote 0

Acebopata

The red wasp of the salted
Jan 11, 2012
The land of mass construction.
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I actually consider two distinct computers as my first.

My first computer that I owned was an old computer I bought at a yard sale for about... $50. I could not remember the specs, but I'd hypothesis it was either a windows 3.1 or windows 95 computer. This was back about 2001-2002, I think. Unfourtantly I did something and couldn't get back into the computer, so...

Now the computer I traditionally view as my first computer was a 2004 windows XP Compaq Presterio. I can't remember the specs, but it could play call of duty 2 (Not modern warfare 2, FYI), and it could play civilization 4, on small and tiny maps, no problem. But it did have a bit of lag on the intro and loading screen animations, for some reason. But I tell you, I loved that laptop, if it still worked, I'd either upgrade it's components, (Starting with the motherboard), or use it as is for nostalgia purposes.

Upvote 0
R

ReAnn89

My mom bought a Mac in 1990 and we had it until 1998/1999. I loved it to death and still remember the giant cartiages we used to load programs. I was addicted to playing Lemmings on it.

I got my first computer in 8th grade, it was a Sony Vaio. It was a huge help since I was getting ready to go into high school and knew I had lots of writing ahead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, the good old days of ginormous CRT monitors and hard drives that measured in megabytes. I remember one of the first times I heard of someone getting a computer with a three gigabyte hard drive, I was like...

pi-pie-314-mind-blown-LOL_zps582517a3.jpeg

LOL :)

Those CRT monitors were far better than todays LCD's for picture quality, sharp text and images - or perhaps it's my aging eyes failing me...

Upvote 0

EphesiaNZ

Apr 19, 2011
New Zealand
✟15,297.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were, for sure. If I could get a 24" CRT at a reasonable price, I'd jump at it.

I remember years ago, when I first started in IT, working for a small IT servicing company and a client wanted a server. After speaking to him I informed him on the server he needed and he was very happy, so happy he said "can you order me a 21 inch monitor to go with it?" (most people used 14 or 15 inch screens back then). I order one and when it arrived it became "unofficially" our office gaming screen for a week or so - purely for testing purposes - I would have hated to deliver a monitor like that to a client without testing it for them first :)

Why would he need a 21 inch monitor with a server? I never did ask the guy, perhaps he was an avid Quake player.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Got my first computer as a christmas gift when I was a kid. Of course I possessed a juvenile mind with no awareness of biblical ideals so I coveted the C64 and got it.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4925271827941062&pid=1.7

I programmed and played the thing without a HD or any other periphal, just your basic run of the mill computer.

Then lost interest in computers until late 90's when the intels pentiums were in production and dial-up service was implimented. It seems like a decade or two went buy before anything substantial was on the market to warrant any interest or purchase prior to pentium chips.

Our society as a whole has created an iodaltry image of our pc's or macs and most of us find it hard to live without them. They have become our primary forms of communication, illicitations, social outreaches and business appropriations......even our travels are now inclined and integrated with computers.

"Kinda scary if you really think about it!" Just about every electrical device that we communicate or socialize with has a processor in it.

Sorta epic!

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0