✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MichaelFJF said:
To be honest, it's been so long I have no idea what you're talking about.

You just answered it above. The questions was "do you agree that Christians should be compassionate and merciful?"

Speaking of the bible, what was that commandment about adultery again?

It has been a long time. What does adultery have to do with this?

Diane
:)

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mr. 5020 said:
This is a ridiculous post. She was fired for breaking an agreement she signed when she got hired. If it was an ACLU campus, and she had signed an "Agreement to Keep Moral Integrity," and was fired for the same reason, nobody would care.

Merry Christmas to you as well :wave:

Upvote 0
Fantine said:
I wonder if, in the future, other single Catholic school teachers who become pregnant will choose to have abortions rather than face unemployment and single parenthood at the same time?

The school lost an opportunity to show its students that they respect life and respect women who choose to have their babies, even if they were conceived under unfortunate circumstances.

I hope she gets a settlement.

I don't know if they lost an opportunity to show what you said, or opted to show its students that they take pre-marital sex as a serious offense (consistent with what they teach)

Upvote 0

Bethshaya

Argh!
Feb 21, 2005
Connecticut, USA
✟8,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm going to tell you a true story about something that happened to me at work.

One of my fellow secretaries (there was a pool of 4 of us) in the office had her 17 yr old son (I'll call him DJ) working as summer help in our department.

One of the other secretaries was very young (about 19, I'll call her Laura) and was an unwed mother of 2 (yes, she did the oops twice). DJ and Laura got into a discussion one day how Laura's childrens fathers (plural) were not helping to raise the children. Well, as you can expect, they had very different views on the topic.

DJ turned and asked her, do you think either of the fathers either were "father" material or "husband" material? Laura responded no, she wouldn't have married them even if they had asked. Why not, he responded. She responded because they were immature. He proceeded to ask her why she got pregnant and her response he couldnt believe. She responded, what was she supposed to do, abort it, as if she were doing something noble by keeping the children she couldnt afford or support on her own.

And this I will never forget, I was so proud of DJ. He responded, no, you think about birth control BEFORE you get into bed with someone, and better yet, if you wait until you are married to someone you know loves you for you and is ready to support you and a family, you will never find yourself in this situation to begin with. There is no such thing as "casual sex". There is nothing "casual" about it.

I went to his mother later on and told her a summary of what had happened and I told her she should be very proud of her son, she raised him well.

DJ gratuated from one of these "Catholic schools", Laura from public. It seems the old addage "Children learn more from what is "caught", than by what is "taught" works. You cant teach a child to do what I say, if it isnt what you do yourself.

Reactions: Letalis
Upvote 0

Mr. 5020

Jan 7, 2005
Texas
✟8,071.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bethshaya said:
I'm going to tell you a true story about something that happened to me at work.

One of my fellow secretaries (there was a pool of 4 of us) in the office had her 17 yr old son (I'll call him DJ) working as summer help in our department.

One of the other secretaries was very young (about 19, I'll call her Laura) and was an unwed mother of 2 (yes, she did the oops twice). DJ and Laura got into a discussion one day how Laura's childrens fathers (plural) were not helping to raise the children. Well, as you can expect, they had very different views on the topic.

DJ turned and asked her, do you think either of the fathers either were "father" material or "husband" material? Laura responded no, she wouldn't have married them even if they had asked. Why not, he responded. She responded because they were immature. He proceeded to ask her why she got pregnant and her response he couldnt believe. She responded, what was she supposed to do, abort it, as if she were doing something noble by keeping the children she couldnt afford or support on her own.

And this I will never forget, I was so proud of DJ. He responded, no, you think about birth control BEFORE you get into bed with someone, and better yet, if you wait until you are married to someone you know loves you for you and is ready to support you and a family, you will never find yourself in this situation to begin with. There is no such thing as "casual sex". There is nothing "casual" about it.

I went to his mother later on and told her a summary of what had happened and I told her she should be very proud of her son, she raised him well.

DJ gratuated from one of these "Catholic schools", Laura from public. It seems the old addage "Children learn more from what is "caught", than by what is "taught" works. You cant teach a child to do what I say, if it isnt what you do yourself.
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

JPPT1974

May 2024 Spring Fever!
Mar 18, 2004
Small Town, USA
✟569,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ioinc said:
I don't know if they lost an opportunity to show what you said, or opted to show its students that they take pre-marital sex as a serious offense (consistent with what they teach)

As in like aka Mary Latternou and her then much younger partner in love.

Upvote 0

Mr. 5020

Jan 7, 2005
Texas
✟8,071.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Diane_Windsor said:
:yawn: Actions speak louder than words Michael.

ETA: I find it very interesting that you are ignoring my comments on compassion and mercy. Do you agree that Christians should be compassionate and merciful?

It is a simple yes or no question so why are you avoiding it? :scratch:

The readers of this forum can only assume that by ignoring my question you believe that Christians should not have compassion and mercy for others. If you believe that then I suggest that you read the Gospels.

Or that you are too prideful to admit that this school is violating the Biblical principles of mercy and compassion.

Diane
:)
This post is illogical! She was fired for breaking an agreement she signed when she got hired. If it was an ACLU campus, and she had signed an "Agreement to Keep Moral Integrity," and was fired for the same reason, nobody would care.

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Bethshaya said:
She responded, what was she supposed to do, abort it, as if she were doing something noble by keeping the children she couldnt afford or support on her own.

There's nothing noble about the young guy who said such a comment. He comes across as pious and judgemental. Who is he to lecture that young mother about what she ought to have done? What is this "Yay for making someone hate themselves more" or what? And yes, I do believe that young woman was doing her best. Money isn't everything when raising kids. Some people evidently don't understand that.

As for the OP. Not suprising. A church trying to hold an employee to Jesus-like standards...which is impossible. I hope she sues the daylights out of them.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
There's nothing noble about the young guy who said such a comment. He comes across as pious and judgemental.
He comes across as pretty level-headed to me.
Who is he to lecture that young mother about what she ought to have done?
He's the kid I'd rather have making decisions than her.
What is this "Yay for making someone hate themselves more" or what?
Sometimes one's low self esteem is just good common sense.
And yes, I do believe that young woman was doing her best. Money isn't everything when raising kids. Some people evidently don't understand that.
I believe at this point she's doing the best she can too. Back when she opened her legs (twice) she could have done better. Some people apparently don't understand that.
As for the OP. Not suprising. A church trying to hold an employee to Jesus-like standards...which is impossible. I hope she sues the daylights out of them.
Jesus-like impossible standards? So NO ONE can possibly EVER be monogomous? NO ONE can ever wait til marriage? What planet are you on? Tha amazing thing is that we've sunk so low that people actually think like this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Polycarp1 said:
I assume the Catholic Church will be consistent, and also dismiss and excommunicate the first two cases of women pregnant or engaged in sex outside marriage. You know, the ones spoken of in Luke 1:26-38 and John 8:2-11.

Were they teaching in a Catholic school?

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MichaelJFJ said:
Sometimes one's low self esteem is just good common sense.

...good common sense to the oppressive perhaps.

MichaelJFJ said:
I believe at this point she's doing the best she can too. Back when she opened her legs (twice) she could have done better. Some people apparently don't understand that.

No, we understand it just fine. Some of us also understand, however, that judging someone with low self-esteem and telling them everything they've done wrong isn't right.

MichaelJFJ said:
Jesus-like impossible standards? So NO ONE can possibly EVER be monogomous? NO ONE can ever wait til marriage? What planet are you on? Tha amazing thing is that we've sunk so low that people actually think like this.
::Applause:: I had yet to fathom my statement could be misconstrewn so well. To reiterate the true intention, or rather meaning of my statement, to be held to "Jesus-like" standards is to be expected to hold utter perfection. Everyone makes mistakes. <-- That was my meaning. To expect that someone will not ever make a mistake is being an optimist, it's being ignorant and pious.

MichaelJFJ said:

Yes.

...and to Diane_Windsor's observation, apparently it is indeed the thread that would not die..but perhaps should. LOL.

Here's a hypothetical situation as to why this entire case is discriminatory:
The woman is pregnant. What if she accused the impregnantor to being an instructor at the same school. Would they immediatly fire him until DNA tests could clear him? No. I highly doubt it. But because she is pregnant and unwed she is fired.

How is that right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
No, we understand it just fine. Some of us also understand, however, that judging someone with low self-esteem and telling them everything they've done wrong isn't right.
Appaently you don't.
Not everything, just the unwed preganacy.

No. Please...context.
Here's a hypothetical situation as to why this entire case is discriminatory:
The woman is pregnant. What if she accused the impregnantor to being an instructor at the same school. Would they immediatly fire him until DNA tests could clear him? No. I highly doubt it. But because she is pregnant and unwed she is fired.
Wow, I haven't seen a more inside-out argument in a long time. My head hurts.

Upvote 0

Mr. 5020

Jan 7, 2005
Texas
✟8,071.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Polycarp1 said:
I assume the Catholic Church will be consistent, and also dismiss and excommunicate the first two cases of women pregnant or engaged in sex outside marriage. You know, the ones spoken of in Luke 1:26-38 and John 8:2-11.
MichaelFJF said:
OddBeani said:
:confused:

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MichaelFJF said:
Wow, I haven't seen a more inside-out argument in a long time. My head hurts.

How so? I'm not arguing so much as looking for clarification of your thinking.

My original comment about Mary and the woman taken in adultery was in reference to the fact that God called Mary to be mother of Christ when she was unwed -- betrothed but not yet married. And Jesus taught mercy not legalism. And yes, Mary is invoked to teach kids in Catholic schools, as a rule, unless policy has changed drastically since my childhood friendships with kids attending the local parochial school.

Looking at it from the other perspective, that of actions entailing consequences and the need to take responsibility and be a good role model, it does "take two to tango" except in the unique case of Jesus's conception, and the man is equally guilty of whatever sin you care to assign to the conception of this child. Therefore, he should receive equal treatment. And if you don't think the kids realize that, you haven't talked seriously with elementary-school kids recently. They may be unclear on the mechanics, but they know that a baby requires a daddy as well as a mommy in order to be born.

Upvote 0