Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
http://quiz.ontheissues.org/Quiz.htm

Go to this site, halfway down the quizzes you will find

"PoliticsMatch Quiz of your political philosophy".

This is a rather comprehensive site. You can also see which candidate stands on what, and who you are most paired to by your responses. Most people though are surprised by their result after taking this test.

I thought it might be fun to do this, and see how our perspectives change over the year or not!:D

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Your Political Philosophy
(Note some questions I felt I needed a firmer understanding but I answered with a bias to what I believe now. Just not an extreme bias. Some questions I did not feel strongly either way)

s050_010.gif

Your Score:
You scored the following on the PoliticsMatch questions:

Personal Score 52%
Economic Score 10%

Where You Fit In

Where your Personal score meets your Economic score on the grid below is your political philosophy. Based on the above score, you are a Liberal Populist .

Final Notes

To ensure balance among political viewpoints, we arranged the wording of the questions so that half the time, the answer involving more government is answered by "support", and half the time by "oppose." Hence, each of the "hard core" philosophers would choose "support" for 3 or 4 of the Personal questions and for 3 or 4 of the Economic questions.

There are four questions which are not counted in your political philosophy. Those questions do not fit this theory -- for example, Democrats typically oppose unrestricted gun ownership, while a 'hard core liberal' would support it on grounds of the government not intervening in a personal issue. These omissions ensure that the theoretical definitions match with current-day politics.

Many of these statements cross over the line between personal issues and economic issues. And many people might answer what we call a "Personal" issue based on economic reasoning. But we have tried to arrange a series of questions which separates the way you think about government activities in these two broad scales.

Political Philosophy test

http://www.ontheissues.org/quizeng/XPolitics/start.asp

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

Some of the questions were very bad, though.

Permit Prayer In Public Schools

Permit? lol. Ok, so if it's not permitted, if someone starts praying you're going to send the kid to detention?

There's nothing wrong with praying in school if you feel like it, but it shouldn't be an organized part of the curriculum.

Absolute Right to Gun Ownership

"Absolute" ? I think everyone can agree that criminals and crazy people shouldn't be allowed to buy guns legally... I'm the kind of guy who thinks assault rifles should be legal, but does anyone have an absolute right to them? no.

Seek UN approval for military action

I think that the foreign policy question is a huge issue for many people and all we get about it on this quiz is this one strawman poll option. Can we get a poll question that says "Stop Warmongering at Iran" ?

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Nathan45:wave:
Did you click on the question itself to gather clarification? This test is what they are using at the colleges in teaching understanding about the issues. I did the same thing. I am considered a "hard core" philosopher too, so I really get caught up in "what does the word mean in and of itself" type of dilemma. I told my professor the same thing!

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

... yeah i checked the links, ( if you notice in my quotes, it's purple, lol ) the clarifications weren't that helpful... they didn 't make a distinction between organized curriculum prayer and regular, didn't distinguish between criminals owning guns and non-criminals owning them for any purpose...

and the U.N. question is still overall a stupid question, the only way on this quiz that i can show myself to be a lefty on foreign policy is by asserting that we should relinquish our sovereignty to the U.N.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Some of the questions were very bad, though.

Permit? lol. Ok, so if it's not permitted, if someone starts praying you're going to send the kid to detention?

There's nothing wrong with praying in school if you feel like it, but it shouldn't be an organized part of the curriculum.

"Absolute" ? I think everyone can agree that criminals and crazy people shouldn't be allowed to buy guns legally... I'm the kind of guy who thinks assault rifles should be legal, but does anyone have an absolute right to them? no.

I think that the foreign policy question is a huge issue for many people and all we get about it on this quiz is this one strawman poll option. Can we get a poll question that says "Stop Warmongering at Iran" ?
The prayer in school issue is a good example of the fact that my thoughts regarding certain issues are much more complex than a simple "aye" or "nay" answer.

It depends on what one means by supporting prayer in school. Do that mean permitting any type of prayer in school? If so, I would agree. However, if that means mandatory school-wide prayer, I am completely against it.

I believe my political philsophy was pretty close to Flynmonkie's, though I might have been a bit closer to "left liberal".
Ringo

Upvote 0

Conspiracy Theory

I'm your huckleberry.
Nov 12, 2003
In a s00per sekret nukular bunkar!111!one!!!
✟14,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Personal Score 32%
Economic Score 85%

Where You Fit In

Where your Personal score meets your Economic score on the grid below is your political philosophy. Based on the above score, you are a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative .

s030_090.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Flynmonkie

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Personal Score 32%
Economic Score 85%

Where You Fit In

Where your Personal score meets your Economic score on the grid below is your political philosophy. Based on the above score, you are a Libertarian-Leaning Conservative .

s030_090.gif
Would have never guessed this one!:scratch: Aren't you big on Freedom of Speech, also radio etc.. ? It seems many in this field tend to lean more liberal than this?

Actually. The permission of prayer in schools would be conducive to the main topic discussed. Should schools hold regular prayer sessions (such as when I grew up) or should they not? Etc. It is not really breaking it down to the individual level (IMHO). It really becomes difficult for moral philosophers, but this is not necessarily geared for that crowd. But of course, they do mention they have a standards built in for us under the notes area at the bottom. I noted that in my post, there are some things I felt iffy on, or not sure I felt anything toward.. But thus far, I think this has been better than any of the others on the net.. from what I have seen?

Upvote 0
N

Nathan45

Should schools hold regular prayer sessions (such as when I grew up) or should they not?

They should not. And not just for the atheists, you'd have people from all directions arguing how to pray... like how would the muslims fit into this, they have their own crazy way of praying. Education should be secular and non-sectarian.

Another example, if you read the Gospel of Thomas, there's a passage in there that says you're condemned if you pray. There's probably some wacky new-age religion that follows this, and they'd sue. That's the problem with religion in schools, you can't please everybody, best just to keep it secular.

as for individual students, if they want to start praying, no reason to stop them ( and plenty of reasons not to stop them ). But organized prayer, no.

Upvote 0

Conspiracy Theory

I'm your huckleberry.
Nov 12, 2003
In a s00per sekret nukular bunkar!111!one!!!
✟14,257.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Would have never guessed this one!:scratch: Aren't you big on Freedom of Speech, also radio etc.. ? It seems many in this field tend to lean more liberal than this?

Yes.
Actually. The permission of prayer in schools would be conducive to the main topic discussed. Should schools hold regular prayer sessions (such as when I grew up) or should they not? Etc. It is not really breaking it down to the individual level (IMHO). It really becomes difficult for moral philosophers, but this is not necessarily geared for that crowd. But of course, they do mention they have a standards built in for us under the notes area at the bottom. I noted that in my post, there are some things I felt iffy on, or not sure I felt anything toward.. But thus far, I think this has been better than any of the others on the net.. from what I have seen?

The schools shouldn't interfere with the religions of the students unless it infringes somehow on the rights of someone else.

If students aren't disrupting class or performing human sacrifice, it really isn't the school's business.

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If students aren't disrupting class or performing human sacrifice, it really isn't the school's business.

That part wasn't directed to you, but Ringo etc.. I agree with your stance here though. I think the question itself was more along the lines of School "sponsored" as that seems to be the prevalent issue, not individual right IMHO.

I was however surprised it threw you into a conservative camp. Based on prior threads, I would have never guessed? I wonder what threw you there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Flynmonkie

Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
[/COLOR][/FONT]

They should not. And not just for the atheists, you'd have people from all directions arguing how to pray... like how would the muslims fit into this, they have their own crazy way of praying. Education should be secular and non-sectarian.

Another example, if you read the Gospel of Thomas, there's a passage in there that says you're condemned if you pray. There's probably some wacky new-age religion that follows this, and they'd sue. That's the problem with religion in schools, you can't please everybody, best just to keep it secular.

as for individual students, if they want to start praying, no reason to stop them ( and plenty of reasons not to stop them ). But organized prayer, no.

I believe they should not. But that was an attempt to explain the question to you, not ask you myself LOL. :)

Upvote 0