Finally, some good news for a change (more states expanding gun rights)

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus would have told them that they had misunderstood him if he didn't mean for them to literally carry a sword. And notice that even when Jesus tells Peter to put his sword away he doesn't tell him to get rid of it. He only tells him to put it back in its sheath.

:thumbsup: Very good point. And besides that, if Peter had not carried a sword and then cut off the ear of one of the high priest's servant, Jesus would not have been able to perform the miraculous healing of that man's ear.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because the sword Peter would've had, was used for cutting wood and other types of work, especially as a fisherman, more than being used as a weapon against human beings. ... SNIP

Can you support that with ANY scripture verse(s), or any papal encyclical, or any document from the Magesterium of the Catholic Church?

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know why Peter had that sword, but now that I think about it that is a very good question as to why. Maybe he assumed that Jesus would usher in a new kingdom physically, and as such was preparing for some sort of armed insurrection Jesus would initiate? And he just didn't want to just straight up ASK Jesus if that was what He was planning.

"Those who kill by the sword die by the sword" is one of the most awesome things Jesus ever said. A condemnation of Mohammed and Islamic ideology centuries before it began. Jesus is no Muslim, that much I know! :clap:

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't know how my words here would jibe with church teaching, but I will admit to being a terrible, sinful Christian. Having lost my mother a month ago, I'll just say that not only would I happily disobey the church, I would march into hell if that's what it took to protect her.
Having said that, I doubt anybody on this forum would think you did anything wrong by protecting your mother. And like I suggested before, if God thinks it is wrong, he and I are going to have an argument before he sends me to the down elevator.

By the way, I've never shot anything other than a target and a couple of cans, but I am a trained gun owner as well.

In a way, you cannot disobey the church on your words, because your church has said, the Bible Trumps anything they say or do. If that is so. If in essence the church your church has said, even they can change nothing Biblically. If they in fact do that, then the following is true.

Romans 13 1-5, says, that God says you must use Guns some of the time.
On a different but similar subject for all of you, I always do this. Anywhere Biblically that God Blesses someone, I take that as a command also, because of what God did with those leving the ark, at Babylon.

He caused them to spread. He caused them to spread. What he blessed Noah and all the children with, spreading or filling the earth, he then forced upon the inhabitants when they refused to do that.

Because of finding out a Blessing by God is also a commandment, when God told us to subdue the earth, He told us to do science. You cannot subdue the earth without science.

So, there are really three sets of Laws, made by God, that we are to follow. Science, Civilian Government, and Religious Laws.

So you defending your mother after God says to you hypothetically aout that: ~Good work. Well done. You took what I put into your heart, and used that to act. That too is mine. Those are also my laws. You did right, not wrong. Welcome....~

You said by the way. I never..... Never apologize for not being mentally wounded. Not everyone cabable, has to be wounded or killed. I am extremely wounded mentally, but combat mentally, and although with your words, I know you are me and I am you, I am happy you have not been called up yet to actions of that sort. It is not heroic. None of us feel that way. It is just a job to be done, that I was put into, and really with no choice. It just happened. Never apologize for not being wounded, you make my day by not doing that, even though you would have, if the situation came up,,,,,I SAY.
...Katie.
And now that I have settled down a bit,
LOVE and love,
...Katie.

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SNIP ... I used Zimmerman as just one example of a paranoid gun owner killing an innocent unarmed teen,

You weren't there, so you can't possibly know for certain what happened. There was sufficient evidence that Trayvon Martin was assaulting Zimmerman and was on top of him while in the act of bashing his head against the sidewalk; the jury believed that and thus they acquitted George Zimmerman. That does not equate with an "innocent" teen, nor does it make Zimmerman a "paranoid gun owner". The fact is that the neighborhood had been plagued with break-ins, and he was on neighborhood watch. You might choose to not believe those things, but in the process you are ignoring not only the evidence and trial results, but also the fact that he FBI and U.S. Justice Department (as biased as they probably were against Zimmerman) were not able to find any evidence to the contrary.

By the way, on another topic -- are any of you experiencing any 502 Gateway Errors indicating that the host server for Christian Forums is unavailable? I've been plagued with the problem for several days now, and I usually need to attempt to post a reply at least 3 or 4 times before it actually posts. Sometimes I can't open a thread no matter how often I attempt it. Would I sound paranoid if I wondered if it is the government trying to silence me? ;)

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SNIP ... I really can't believe this is a serious conversation.

Just tell us your trying to yank our chain and we can move on.

Since you are a Catholic, I would imagine that you believe in the saints which have been officially canonized by the Catholic Church, as well as in the "communion of saints" -- meaning that all saints in Heaven are in communion with the Holy Trinity and each other as part of the Bride of Christ -- His Church. That would necessarily include Saint Joan of Arc -- officially canonized by the Catholic Church in 1920 and venerated in both the Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion.

Now, there are some who contend that St. Joan of Arc never used her sword nor even carried one into battle (but rather that she carried her banner instead). I don't know whether that's a case of revisionist history or the truth; I'll leave that to speculation. But rather than her being a pacifist, what can't be denied is that she led men into armed conflict -- men who were armed with swords or other weapons, and who used them to kill. Yet, ... she is a saint, and therefore a Christian -- attaining a level of perfection in her faith that few, if any, of us still on earth have yet achieved. If she were still here, would the liberals pass judgment upon her because she were in support of 'a just war' and the use of the sword? How self-righteous some of us are.

'BEARING ARMS' -- St. Joan of Arc
123ee9d66ac67ed1a9bc43d81682ca63.jpg

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic
OK, do you all think that the 72 were sent out brandishing swords?

10 Now after this the Lord appointed [a]seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come. 2 And He was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest. 3 Go; behold, I send you out as lambs in the midst of wolves. 4 Carry no money belt, no bag, no shoes; and greet no one on the way. 5 Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’ 6 If a [c]man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you. 7 Stay in [d]that house, eating and drinking [e]what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house. 8 Whatever city you enter and they receive you, eat what is set before you; 9 and heal those in it who are sick, and say to them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.’

Hi,
Dear, He was not going to the Garden of Gethsemane, when He sent the 72 out. Luke 22 35-53, is all about Him going to be arrested.
...Katie.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
Since you are a Catholic, I would imagine that you believe in the saints which have been officially canonized by the Catholic Church, as well as in the "communion of saints" -- meaning that all saints in Heaven are in communion with the Holy Trinity and each other as part of the Bride of Christ -- His Church. That would necessarily include Saint Joan of Arc -- officially canonized by the Catholic Church in 1920 and venerated in both the Catholic Church and the Anglican Communion.

Now, there are some who contend that St. Joan of Arc never used her sword nor even carried one into battle (but rather that she carried her banner instead). I don't know whether that's a case of revisionist history or the truth; I'll leave that to speculation. But rather than her being a pacifist, what can't be denied is that she led men into armed conflict -- men who were armed with swords or other weapons, and who used them to kill. Yet, ... she is a saint, and therefore a Christian -- attaining a level of perfection in her faith that few, if any, of us still on earth have yet achieved. If she were still here, would the lirberals pass judgment upon her because she were in support of 'a just war' and the use of the sword? How self-righteous some of us are.

'BEARING ARMS' -- St. Joan of Arc
123ee9d66ac67ed1a9bc43d81682ca63.jpg

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

This discussion is a separate issue from Just War. Carrying a glock on your hip hoping some punk will give you trouble so you can blow him away is not Just War. Zimmerman was not just war.
Joan of Arc probably was.

How ill informed and judgmental some of us are.

Upvote 0

billvelek

Sep 16, 2014
Arkansas
✟8,154.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This discussion is a separate issue from Just War. Carrying a glock on your hip hoping some punk will give you trouble so you can blow him away is not Just War. Zimmerman was not just war.

Well, this has been a long thread, with many side issues which I believe also mentioned 'Just Wars'. As I mentioned as a side-comment in a recent post, for at least several days (pretty much immediately after I started this thread) I have been having a chronic and almost constant problem with being able to accessing just about any part of Christian Forums, including having a page of messages displayed. When I've been able to read some posts and attempt to reply, I often lose the page I was on and without a window to write a message. Sometimes I write a message and then lose access to CF, and then can't get back the message I spent time writing (after the second time that happened, I started copying and saving them to my word processor before trying to post them. Almost 100% of the time, I have had to jump back and forth between a page that I finished reading and a "502 Error -- Bad Gateway" page (indicating that the host server for CF was not online) -- jumping back and forth at least 3 or 4 times, and sometimes perhaps nearly 10 times if I was persistent and patient enough, each time with considerable delay. As a consequence, I have not been posting on my own thread nearly since I started it and today I resolved that I would try to do so to catch up on many posts that caught my attention; thus the several posts I made all of a sudden. Because of all that delay, there are some things that I probably confused. I thought someone had mentioned 'just wars', but if not ... "my bad". Sorry if I caused any confusion.

And if you were referring to me as "ill informed and judgmental", I can't see where that is coming from -- at least not in response to my St. Joan of Arc comment.

Now I'll see if THIS will post. I'd _REALLY_ like to know if I'm the only one suffering from this problem, which, by the way, is occurring ONLY with C.F.; I have no problem whatsoever accessing any other websites.

Your brother in Christ,

Bill Velek

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Dear,
I have to carry guns some of the time, too keep myself alive. Death Threats are real. Hoping someone wants to kill me is so off the mark. It is the last thing I want to happen. Are you saying anyone who carries a gun into possilbe harms way is hoping to kill someone? How do you know that, are you like me with more than 45 years of civilian combat? Do you know of other police and soldiers who have done combat? Are they all tellling you they have guns hoping to go into years and years of therapy trying to get over having to have hurt even, or to have killed somone. It's anything but fun. It anything but a nice life. It is anything but what you are suggesting is true for me and all of us. Anything but that.
Know this though, not everyone with a gun, is me, or is my kind, some of them want to kill me an people like me. Whether Zimmerman above is a criminal who got away with something of not, I certainly do not know, without meeting him. If I do though or one of my kind does, the Band of Brothers connection will hit quickly and tell us one way or another. "Band of Brothers" is there in people like me, and it is in a lot of other people also. I can use that and would. But, how do you know what he felt and did. I back off if he is that way and you know. But, do you really know, or are you just guessing that is what must have happened?
Not upset, just surprised,
LOVE and love,
...Katie.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just checking in to see if anyone did what I would call 'good news'--if any of you decided to give up your weapons for Lent!

With all those Bible quotes from Jesus I read, it sounds like weapons would be the ideal thing to abstain from using during Lent.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟146,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Just checking in to see if anyone did what I would call 'good news'--if any of you decided to give up your weapons for Lent!

With all those Bible quotes from Jesus I read, it sounds like weapons would be the ideal thing to abstain from using during Lent.

As soon as you give up all your kitchen knives.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,265.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The primary purpose of kitchen knives is preparing food for one's family. I don't own switchblades, scimitars, swords, or other knives that could be classified as weapons.

And that's how kitchen knives differ from guns.

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
The primary purpose of kitchen knives is preparing food for one's family. I don't own switchblades, scimitars, swords, or other knives that could be classified as weapons.

Sadly there will be those on this forum who see no difference. Or at least they ADMIT to no difference.

Disclosure: I WANT A SCIMITAR!
That'd be sweeeet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And the primary purpose of owning a weapon is self defense (which is allowed and even said that we have that RESPONSIBILITY).

The other day I realized that I'm more frightened of a TASER (which could kill me, but which has been presented as if it was less harmful so any person indiscriminately will use). And I'm more afraid of knives that my grandfather would sharpen (so sharp that by the time it was realized that there was a cut, serious damage was done.) And I guess that I'd include cars in that list since cars are a weapon and have been known to kill or injure...sometimes by themselves! I think I'll add power tools to that list because power lawnmowers have sliced people's hands and feet before they even knew what was happening and the terrorists used power drills to drill into children's heads and those power saws :::shudder::: A Firearm? Something to be feared? Not so much. Just a tool for self-defense, or to provide food, or for sports. Never heard of a firearm walking up and pulling it's own trigger.

BTW, one doesn't have to own swords or scimitars or the like, not too long ago I provided a link where some doctors in Britain wanted to outlaw KITCHEN knives--pointy, longer than four inches you know.

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

To keep things in perspective, this might help:
Once upon a time, there was maybe, no difference between kitchen knives and weapons. Besides when a fist can kill me, should all fists be confiscated? Should the right to carry your hand openly,,,,be allowed.
And no, that is not a ridicous statement just because everyone carries one, it is ridiculous because lots of things harm and kill, even words. To hamper normals, thinking they are dangerous in masses has never been true, yet it is said they are. As a result normal, which is roughly 80% of the population, is not allowed to help.
LOVE,
...Katie.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
To keep things in perspective, this might help:
Once upon a time, there was maybe, no difference between kitchen knives and weapons. Besides when a fist can kill me, should all fists be confiscated? Should the right to carry your hand openly,,,,be allowed.
And no, that is not a ridicous statement just because everyone carries one, it is ridiculous because lots of things harm and kill, even words. To hamper normals, thinking they are dangerous in masses has never been true, yet it is said they are. As a result normal, which is roughly 80% of the population, is not allowed to help.
LOVE,
...Katie.

I've heard that some boxers get to register their fists as lethal weapons, which is not only awesome but a testament of how tough people can be even without a gun.

Speaking of which, in China, they banned guns. So are mass killers gone? Nope. They just kill people with knives instead. I believe one of them happened about 6 months or so ago.

Upvote 0

Sumwear

Jul 23, 2012
✟4,400.00
Faith
Christian Seeker

depends on the circumstances. you can take something as mundane as a slipper and turn it into a weapon.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟824,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear,
are you like me with more than 45 years of civilian combat?

What is Civilian Combat?
And what were the circumstances behind you having to engage in it continually for 45 years?

Upvote 0