Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how a gun seller is much different from a drug pusher.

Both get people killed and go hand in hand with crime.

Drug sellers and users really need to form a national association to lobby for them.

Are we talking legal or illegal drugs?

If we're talking illegal drugs, then there is very little in common. Since there's no official legal use for things like meth and cocaine...but there are legal uses for guns. (hunting, target shooting, licensed carry, etc...)

To say that it goes hand in hand with crime is false...the overwhelming majority of people who buy guns don't commit crimes with them. However, 100% of people who buy cocaine from a dealer have committed a crime. Whether the act of buying cocaine for personal use should be a crime or not is a different debate...but as the law currently stands, it's a crime.

If we're talking about legal drugs (pharma) then there are some similarities.

Both provide a product that has a benefit:risk ratio associated with it. Both can be used legally or illegally, cause injury/death if improperly used, and can tear apart families depending on the actions of the end user.

Just about every legal thing in society has a benefit to risk ratio.

The death count for prescription pain drugs isn't anything to sneeze at either... 22,134 in 2010.

All things considered, the "death:use" ratio for prescription pain meds is greater than firearms or automobiles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,780.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Smart repair shops collect the fee up front. They then credit that against the repair bill. If the owner doesn't want to repair the item, the fee is already collected. That's what smart people do.

Perhaps, however the policy should be to tell the customer that there will be an evaluation fee at the time their equipment is brought in. I bet that is posted in their store. If not, no wonder there was an argument.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, however the policy should be to tell the customer that there will be an evaluation fee at the time their equipment is brought in. I bet that is posted in their store. If not, no wonder there was an argument.
I took my vac in to a shop last week. They were clear that there was a non-refundable fee and they collected it before they would look at the vac. Straightforward and simple.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟911,867.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if anyone is even ABLE to imagine a solution without leaving us defenseless.

I have in the past concealed carried. I do not currently but that does not leave me defenseless. Self defense is a matter of training and preparedness, not the status of your holster.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,780.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I took my vac in to a shop last week. They were clear that there was a non-refundable fee and they collected it before they would look at the vac. Straightforward and simple.
What? And you didn't try to suck the life out of him? That is not very newsworthy.... :)

He attacked you with dirty Rainbow water and you countered with blow to his head with your 50 pound Kirby?

Reactions: Seek.1st
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
McCool should never have been allowed to own a firearm in the first place if he uses it to settle disputes over a simple service charge. This is the kind of thing that makes me think Americans maybe unfit to have a Second Amendment.

Without the amendment it's left entirely to the states, which have overwhelmingly supported gun rights in their state constitutions. This in response to attacks on the 2Amendment in recent years.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What? And you didn't try to suck the life out of him? That is not very newsworthy.... :)

He attacked you with dirty Rainbow water and you countered with blow to his head with your 50 pound Kirby?
No, Dyson is lighter and easier to swing. But bat speed doesn't necessarily lead to more home runs.:tutu:

Reactions: Black Dog
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Without the amendment it's left entirely to the states, which have overwhelmingly supported gun rights in their state constitutions. This in response to attacks on the 2Amendment in recent years.
And we had a bunch of people exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. What's the problem?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,209,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have in the past concealed carried. I do not currently but that does not leave me defenseless. Self defense is a matter of training and preparedness, not the status of your holster.

That depends on one's personal situation.

For us able-bodied men, it's a different ball game than if it's a 125lbs woman...and that's not intended to sound demeaning, just merely stating a biological fact. Typically (although I know there are the Ronda Rouseys out there...but that's not the norm)... In typical situation, a woman is going to be at a physical disadvantage to a man.

If you're a fit, healthy, male in your 20's or 30's...no, you're probably not going to be the ideal target for someone who's looking to execute a crime of opportunity. If you're a petite female, or elderly...or small in stature, it's a different story.

For my situation, I'm 32... 6' 1", a lean 185, and in good physical condition. For me to say to someone else (who may not be in the same situation) "Well I could defend myself in most situations without a gun, why can't you?" is a bit short-sighted I think.

There are definitely times when an equalizer takes away the "easy prey" aspect for someone who's looking to commit a crime against another person.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Seek.1st

Apr 4, 2011
US
✟15,454.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟911,867.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
That depends on one's personal situation.

For us able-bodied men, it's a different ball game than if it's a 125lbs woman...and that's not intended to sound demeaning, just merely stating a biological fact. Typically (although I know there are the Ronda Rouseys out there...but that's not the norm)... In typical situation, a woman is going to be at a physical disadvantage to a man.

If you're a fit, healthy, male in your 20's or 30's...no, you're probably not going to be the ideal target for someone who's looking to execute a crime of opportunity. If you're a petite female, or elderly...or small in stature, it's a different story.

For my situation, I'm 32... 6' 1", a lean 185, and in good physical condition. For me to say to someone else (who may not be in the same situation) "Well I could defend myself in most situations without a gun, why can't you?" is a bit short-sighted I think.

There are definitely times when an equalizer takes away the "easy prey" aspect for someone who's looking to commit a crime against another person.

A valid point. How about we compromise? Since the vast majority of mass shootings are carried out by men lets only let women pack heat? ;)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Seek.1st

Apr 4, 2011
US
✟15,454.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A valid point. How about we compromise? Since the vast majority of mass shootings are carried out by men lets only let women pack heat? ;)
I am a 4'11 female with a physical disability. I would not be able to defend myself but I refuse to live in fear. Twenty years ago, my neighborhood was taken over by drug dealers. I reported the neighborhood activity to a crime hotline and to management. I did not have any weapons, and for a while I weighed less than 90 lbs. so I was an easy target. Now, I am still here and the drug dealers are long gone. The neighborhood has improved vastly. Even if I had a gun, I doubt I would have the strength to use it. I will just put my faith in God. If something happens to me, the important thing is to be ready when the end comes.

I have often read comments below news articles on gun violence, and the comments of most people in favor of guns are disturbing (they are very angry people). Even friends of mine have made comments in favor of guns on Facebook that are very disturbing. One of those friends came to stay with me for a few weeks last year and I didn't trust her. It became obvious that she was mentally ill and narcissistic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,558.00
Faith
Christian
Meanwhile in the Chicago free fire zone.....................................

Which is actually an argument FOR gun control.

Think about it - if gang members having guns doesn't stop other gang members from killing them, the whole "a gun will keep me safe" thing is kind of debunked

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Over 500 gun related deaths in that Ghetto last year, those laws sure are working wonders there.

Wonder how many of the guns were bought on the black market or stolen???

Murder is illegal, and yet people are still killing each other. Should we make murder legal?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟911,867.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I am a 4'11 female with a physical disability. I would not be able to defend myself but I refuse to live in fear. Twenty years ago, my neighborhood was taken over by drug dealers. I reported the neighborhood activity to a crime hotline and to management. I did not have any weapons, and for a while I weighed less than 90 lbs. so I was an easy target. Now, I am still here and the drug dealers are long gone. The neighborhood has improved vastly. Even if I had a gun, I doubt I would have the strength to use it. I will just put my faith in God. If something happens to me, the important thing is to be ready when the end comes.

I have often read comments below news articles on gun violence, and the comments of most people in favor of guns are disturbing (they are very angry people). Even friends of mine have made comments in favor of guns on Facebook that are very disturbing. One of those friends came to stay with me for a few weeks last year and I didn't trust her. It became obvious that she was mentally ill and narcissistic.

I am a gun owner and I support the right to bear arms. That said I find the current NRA ideals ludicrous. There is no reason why we should not have laws ensuring that gun owners are responsible and well trained. Gun licensing and registration should not be meet with paranoia about confiscation. We need to find a reasonable middle and the longer we wait to do so the bigger the backlash will be.

Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant