United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May I submit some copypasta:

I've never had a Facebook before. I'm a software engineer and my boss asked me to implement Facebook support to our application. So I had to create a test account to use it. Holy ******* ****, people are ********.

Firstly, it asked for a lot of information I would never give out online. Full name, phone number, work information, etc. I was always taught not to give that out to strangers on the internet. I faked the information for my test account, but I was surprised they asked for all that.

Secondly, I still haven't really found the purpose of the site. It seems like a photo sharing site where you can add messages to photos. There are a dozen other services out there which let you do this without giving up so much information.

Thirdly, the pictures that I saw were really bad. People almost seemed to brag about being a redneck. I saw people posing with beer bottles. Is that a meme I missed? Every guy wanted their main picture to be of them with a girl which makes them look very needy.

Fourthly, was this idea of friends. The average person has maybe 10 friends tops and perhaps 30-50 acquaintances they've seen in the past year. Maybe 200 acquaintances if you include everyone in the last five years. Holy **** **** ****, everyone on this **** site has 1000+ friends. Does everyone just friend random strangers all the time and look at their pictures? That's creepy as ****.

I really really don't get why teenagers are obsessed with this site unlss they are just really vain about crappy pictures of themselves and having fake internet friends. I hope this fad dies soon. That along with iPhone worship.

I've demanded my wife not put any pictures of me on the internet anymore. She's already uploaded pictures of our family, which, if you do a reverse google image search, will give you someone's exact physical address. Facebook accounts are notoriously easy to hack, or even easier, just get into. It's a terrible idea to put so much personal information on the internet, where the lowest common demominator of humanity will often lurk.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
On another forum I visit, people used to call it "stalkerbook". I think a lot of people don't realize they have their profile settings on public (especially older people). I have helped several people change theirs after being like, "you know, everybody can see that".

When that elementary school shooting happened a while back, everybody looked up Ryan Lanza as soon as the news put his name out there. Some poor girl had liked one of his pictures and of course everyone immediately went to her profile (which was public) and said all sorts of things. She had no idea her profile was public and was freaking out.

And then of course it wasn't even Ryan that did it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boss_BlueAngels

Life is better when you're flying upside down.
Jul 19, 2005
Seattle
Visit site
✟14,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use it almost exclusively to promote my photography and video production business and networking. It's an amazing free resource that helps me connect with thousands of people every day. Love it! :)

Upvote 0

Butterfly

Tins the Chocoholic
Apr 4, 2004
Hugging a cat and eating chocolate
✟105,420.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I use it to keep up with everyone and for everyone to keep up with me. I have only family members on there who I actually trust, like my mom and siblings...it's an easy way for us to share stuff back and forth there and to chat and stuff. I have friends from around the world and I really love being connected with them all via FB! I've made some great FB friends from FB friends lol...even a few friends from the games I used to play! I am in general safe about it, but I love it as a connecting tool. Also allows me to post my photography and music.

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I use it to keep up with everyone and for everyone to keep up with me. I have only family members on there who I actually trust, like my mom and siblings...it's an easy way for us to share stuff back and forth there and to chat and stuff. I have friends from around the world and I really love being connected with them all via FB! I've made some great FB friends from FB friends lol...even a few friends from the games I used to play! I am in general safe about it, but I love it as a connecting tool. Also allows me to post my photography and music.

I was just reading this and thinking how funny it is that I still haven't sent you a friend request. Sending...

128998511203216650.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well I did have a fb and used it for keeping up with family and friends but have deleted my account just recently. I made a vow to read the entire Bible beginning to end before I ever use Facebook again.
By then I may not wanna get back on. :bigeye: :D
That's a neat idea!

Upvote 0

AranCF13

Feb 23, 2013
South Carolina, USA
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use it to stay connected. I have friends all over the world and FB is a great way to see what is happening in other people's lives and to share what is happening in mine. For example one of my cousins got married recently, I don't live in the country so I couldn't attend the wedding but it was lovely to see some pictures and to see all the wonderful well-wishes she got.

Upvote 0