Jun 21, 2012
✟8,267.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I used to have facebook...but due to "friends" not ever wanting to chat with me, I deactivated it a few months ago.

When I first had it, I used it to reconnect with two specific people. One of them is now an ex-boyfriend.

So originally I used it for keeping in contact with people and chatting, but it didn't work out.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I have a few uses for Facebook. I use it to follow news, information on assorted topics (like babies and fitness), and funny stuff. I also like to keep up on what's happening in my friends and family's lives. And since I don't live near any family (other than my husband and child) or friends, I use the messaging system to talk to people.

That's what I take from it. What I give/share is what's going on in my life, memes or other things that amuse me, and articles that I either just find interesting or think is important for people to know about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

ReAnn89

I recently deactivated mine, but my purpose was to keep in contact with friends who had moved away. After college my friends got scattered-some to other countries and some over a thousand miles away. Facebook allowed me to keep up with them and chat.

Facebook was the main way I kept in contact with others, so if I activate it again, that would be the only reason to be honest.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I mainly used it to keep in touch with my wife before we were married. Now I basically check it in case I'm bored and need to kill some time. I don't find it particularly useful or fun to use anymore; if anything I find myself deleting more and more people because they post the same annoying stuff day after day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Initially I used it for a way to keep up with friends from online; specifically CF. Then it grew to old college friends, people from church, and then family. I have a niece that is like a little sister to me and 99% of our communication now is through FB. Now that I live away from family; I mostly use it to keep up with distant friends and family.

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I started out just having family on mine. I live over 4,000 miles away from most of mine. So it was a good way to stay connected with them. Later, I added friends. It was cool because I found one of my college roommates I'd been trying to find for about a decade.

Now, it's also a very good way to keep up with things going on in my son's Boy Scout troop, my daughter's Girl Scout troop and a few other activities my kids do. I'm much more likely to see announcements if they're made on Facebook than if they send me an email. Oh and the local Farmer's Market, grass fed butcher and co-op post on there so I know pretty much right away when they're having sales which is nice.

Sadly, only one person from the church that my husband and I have attended for the last 6 years has ever friended me even though I told a few of them my full name and let them know that it was a good way to get in touch with me. :(

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟379,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't. When I briefly used Facebook, it seemed a little intrusive and tedious for my tastes. I'd rather not revisit the horrors of middle school, for instance, and I don't need to know every time Stacy "likes" a slice of pizza. Plus, it's kind of weird to interact with old college friends, coworkers, and distant relatives all in one place. If you want to keep in touch with me, and we can't hang out in person, email and Skype are better alternatives. Forums are nice, but I rarely use them for social networking, so I tend to be more private on those than I might otherwise be. Facebook, unfortunately, largely removes the privacy element from the internet experience as it mines our personal data for sale to advertisers and researchers. Even when you opt for the more secure settings. I don't care if they track my searches or whatever, but as soon as that information is personally identifiable with me, as line has been crossed. This isn't to say that other sites don't do such things, but for me Facebook has come to represent, in my mind at least, much of that's wrong with the current state of the web.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 25, 2010
Visit site
✟18,018.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have two.

One is my personal account, mostly to keep tabs on people I knew in high school or have met here where I live now. A few other exceptions, I have had some people from online games (my guild in WoW was pretty close, we had a facebook group for it, unfortunately the guild disbanded and we all left for other games), I have also had a couple of people from CF.

I'm actually in the process of weeding through my friends list, getting rid of the ones who are way too activist for my liking. I am pro choice, and although I do not mind that the majority of my facebook friends are pro life, seeing pictures of aborted fetuses day after day got a bit much so I just dropped someone from my list. I would have even if I was pro life. The same person is now 31 and is still waiting for her daddy to arrange a marriage for her (and get this, she WANTS that... and yes she's American) ... yeah... as someone who had a marriage arranged for me (I rebelled), she just wasn't a fit for my list anymore.

My second facebook is a game account. Although I'm not playing the games I used to anymore.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟16,224.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I use it as a locator to find friends in high school and found a couple. Friends and relatives though they don't post much and what they do post is largely inappropriate. Local friends too, people who are sick or busy or travelling and you want to keep in touch. Largely to keep in touch cause I write a letter once a month at least. That gives people lots of time to respond back.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use Facebook to bless and be blessed! It's odd, I know, especially because a lot of people complain about the privacy issues. But for me, the lack of privacy is awesome, because I can bless people I don't evven know, and BE blessed BY people I don't even know!

I have made new friends, participated in benefits, and been a help and received help many times as a result of Facebook.

Also, because I have social issues, it allows me, just like this board, to interact with people better than I would in person.

Upvote 0

Calvinator

It's midnight and I'm sound asleep
Nov 13, 2012
✟788.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't use it at all. Email and snail mail work just fine for sending and receiving photos/updates from friends and family. For annual/bi-annual updates, I'd actually prefer snail mail, because of it's privacy.

I think that news over the last few years concerning Facebook has revealed that even if everything you do/say is considered Kosher or whatever, someone, somewhere will miss-read something or make an assumption about a picture or post, or blow it out of proportion and before you know it you have a bad rep or the authorities are at your door.

No thanks.

Upvote 0