Exaggerations of Jesus?

N

NannaNae

I was asking the other poster that question as she seems to take her above verses seriously. My question only had to do with her post, nothing more. For me it's not a strange question, is getting clarification from the poster.

As you already know, I disagree with you.
and it appears by your question you don't believe him , so
it seems we both disagree with you .

day light is coming and so is night !

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

"Found this while browsing the other day and thought others might be inspired by it like I was. " I see you found this article, sorry!!! well to say the least I sure disagree with him . every tittle, dot and breath jesus ever had will be fulfilled. nothing will come back void including moving that same mountain.
especially after saying it in public at least twice.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I was asking the other poster that question as she seems to take her above verses seriously. My question only had to do with her post, nothing more.

Yes, I understood what you were saying. I suggested an alternative phrasing to the question to help you see why it sounds strange. Compare the two questions;

Your question:
Are you saying you take those teachings seriously?

Rephrased:
Are you saying Jesus meant what he said?

Can you see how these two questions communicate the same thoguht? If Jesus didn't mean what he said then of course you are right, why should we bother to take him seriously?

That's actually the topic of this thread. People look for ways to not take Jesus seriously, and one method of doing that is to exaggerate Jesus' teachings so they look ridiculous. We don't want to follow ridiculous teachings now, do we?

I know you are having trouble seeing it, but if you were to go back though all the posts you will see this is a consistent theme from many people who posted here.

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes Jesus meant what He said in this statement that is being so fast discussed.

Mt 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mt 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

For sure if seeing a woman that sets the passion on fire for her then yes it would be best to not see her and so not commit sin and not burn in hell fire.

If it would stop the burning passion to be a eunuch that might work.

But people are getting the idea today they can continue in sin and be saved.

That is a foolish idea to get set on!

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
and it appears by your question you don't believe him , so
it seems we both disagree with you .

day light is coming and so is night !

I believe Jesus, I do not believe your interpretation of what He said is more correct, that is to say if you truly believe we are to pluck our eye out or cut off our hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

Christians don't have to obey anything. Slaves must obey their masters but the children are free. We are children of God and joint heirs with Christ, who died to set us free. He gave us the Holy Spirit so that we will be motivated to live life as He intends. We have been set free from the law of sin and death so that we might live to God.

well you can see yourself a son/ child..... but I will see myself as a sevant and leave it up to him to call me child..
there will be many who have been calling themselves child and casting out demons and he will say "depart I never knew you". because they never submitted to his working and his dealings..

so if you are wise you would call yourself servant and fear what you are capable of like Paul did who by the way was worried about making the first resurrection. FEAR GOD , SERVE , HIM his purposes His people until the day HE says to you in person that you are his child. until the 8th day and you see the father face to face.. because heaven isn't until the 8th day.

and only who are incapable of falling in their new body will be invited to the 7th day with their new bodies.
so we all can pretend we are his children, but no one will be invited to the party unless you prove you are of his family and of his life and not of man and his death. Death ,hell and sin is man's party that is what mankind brought to the table. to say the least they will be booted outside.... no dinner for them.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

I believe Jesus, I do not believe your interpretation of what He said is more correct, that is to say if you truly believe we are to pluck our eye out or cut off our hand.
then no you don't !

because these things are all true..

in it's prophecy form. to anyone willing to hear it.. he is saying that you can cut the mark off and you can poke out your eye and might/will / could / should be saved and may share his thrown for a few who are brave enough to do it. thus they will probably be saved.

that is a huge deal.... because I thought for years that any one who
took the mark will NOT be saved.... but he hints here he will except those who cut off their hand and poke out their eye.. but of course they then will be wearing a bulls eye on their back and labeled the worst kind of bigot , terrorist and murdered probably horribly for their very very very very late choice to have 'faith" because they don't want to go to hell. once they know there is a hell.

of course the rest of us have now and are in the process of dieing to our flesh now not later...... and so then if they cut off their parts they get to have a much more intense version of
"dying to your flesh" because you love Him and his LIFE more then you love yourself .

only those who prove in whatever way he asks in his processes that they are willing to pick up their cross , and they are willing to follow no matter the cost , and with a glad heart.. those are invited to the 1000 reign .

the guy who had to cut his parts off to die to his flesh and his desires and his
" rights" because he did it too late..... I don't know when they get "saved" the 7th day or the 8th day after the great white thrown..

because once this stuff starts it takes no faith at all to know he was God. and I suspect that those who cut the mark/ their metric biology measurements off after the last trumpet .. will have to hope for his grace at the great white thrown probably .... he is saying here He will have grace for them who do even after ... which will take faith just like we have had to have. but I don't think they are going to the 1000 reign .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
then no you don't !

Yes, yes I do, but you do not have to believe that I do. I know that I do, God knows that I do and He is the only one that matters when it comes to who I must please.

Upvote 0
N

NannaNae

Yes, yes I do, but you do not have to believe that I do. I know that I do, God knows that I do and He is the only one that matters when it comes to who I must please.

then you are luckier than most! because when I read that I sure didn't believe it and had to fight it out with him until I understood it.

ok your not getting something important about this walk.

let me see if I can explain something..

you see it doesn't matter what we believe, it only matters is what he believes and if we are willing to hear everything that he believes and knows to be true.

just last week he showed me a whopper and tied it all up in package , double witnessed and everything.....a nice little bow and all... and then I threw a fit and decided I was insane and it took me a week before I was willing to even pray about it again :p used to take me months before I was willing to be made willing to hear it or pray about it even.... because I didn't like it.. it wasn't what I believed I should believe , or that I wanted to believe.... and truth is it just don't matter what I believe . it only matters if I am willing to hear and see and then try and believe what it is he believes. because everything else is a lie. a bald faced lie.

so maybe you believe God.. but you do believe what he believes ?

and everything, every word he says is true down to every breath in the sounds of it . those same breaths created the universe.. it is true on every level personal, mental, emotional, physically and prophetic.. it was true, will be on going truth and it will be truly fulfilled one day.

how exactly it is true is our job to seek , search , hunt until He reveals himself in it and only then we will have understanding of his word more fully..
or do you hear only what you want to believe , and what you want to reconcile within your mind ?
that is not the same as believing what he believes his word to mean.

in the mean time I still fight these things out with him everyday ..everyday I Work out my salvation with fear and trembling knowing I am fight my beliefs in him and his word. because his word is truth and will be found to be truth and it is my job to figure out who he is so that I can see him in his words.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Hi Boidae. I think you are still misunderstanding the verses, probably because you've locked yourself into viewing them as ridiculous. These are not commands to mutilate yourself to prove that you are a Christian.

There was a condition attached. If it takes the destruction of our bodies to gain eternal life then it would be stupid not to do it. It's similar to Jesus saying "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul" or "He who tries to save his life will lose it and he who seeks to lose his life will save it".

Jesus wanted to make it very clear to us that eternal life is more important even than our physical bodies.

Do you think it is pleasing to God when he gives instructions to his creations only to have his creations turn to one another and ask, "do you think he wants us to take him seriously"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Hi Boidae. I think you are still misunderstanding the verses, probably because you've locked yourself into viewing them as ridiculous. These are not commands to mutilate yourself to prove that you are a Christian.

There was a condition attached. If it takes the destruction of our bodies to gain eternal life then it would be stupid not to do it. It's similar to Jesus saying "what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul" or "He who tries to save his life will lose it and he who seeks to lose his life will save it".

Jesus wanted to make it very clear to us that eternal life is more important even than our physical bodies.

Do you think it is pleasing to God when he gives instructions to his creations only to have his creations turn to one another and ask, "do you think he wants us to take him seriously"?

If that's what you think, then by all means have at it.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
*wins* ^.^

Not sure that with what I said means you win, but again if that's what you think.

Look, as I get older I am realizing that arguing does not really accomplish anything. So, I am starting to argue less and less.

My wife is very fond of telling me that everyone is entitled to their interpretation/opinion of scripture by way of the Holy Spirit and to let them have that interpretation/opinion. She goes on to say that you (meaning me) have your own that has been revealed to you by the Holy Spirit and to go by what has been revealed to you. That the only one that you need to please is God.

I am finding much wisdom in her words lately, even though I never wanted to at first. I am going to follow her sound wisdom.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
My wife is very fond of telling me that everyone is entitled to their interpretation/opinion of scripture by way of the Holy Spirit and to let them have that interpretation/opinion. She goes on to say that you (meaning me) have your own that has been revealed to you by the Holy Spirit and to go by what has been revealed to you. That the only one that you need to please is God.

I am finding much wisdom in her words lately, even though I never wanted to at first. I am going to follow her sound wisdom.

There is some wisdom in your wife's advice, but then I also see a bit of danger as well (personally). I think the danger is that we can use the Holy Spirit as an excuse to avoid the teachings of Jesus, by saying the Spirit has lead us to do otherwise. Jesus told us that the HS would come to remind us of his teachings, so when someone says the HS is leading them to join the army (and essentially go kill people), I can't help but question that on the basis that Jesus said for us to love our enemies. I don't want to accuse the person of lying, but I can't believe the Holy Spirit would contradict Jesus.

The wisdom I see in what your wife is saying is that nobody has it all figured out, and there are a lot of things which are left up to interpretation on a personal level. A lot of Jesus' teachings are straight forward (eg. do charity works in secret), whereas others are a bit more vague and difficult to figure out when it comes to putting them into practice (eg. whatever you ask for in prayer you shall receive).

I think as long as we remain honest about our uncertainty of our understanding, we will be led into more understanding. Unfortunately very few people want to be honest about that, for FEAR of more understanding, and so they just throw out the baby with the bathwater on the basis of the teachings of Jesus being "not literal".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure that with what I said means you win, but again if that's what you think.

Look, as I get older I am realizing that arguing does not really accomplish anything. So, I am starting to argue less and less.

Amen, and amen.

The Holy Ghost-the counselor, the teacher, and the comforter (coupled with God's Holy Word) will lead the follower of Jesus Christ into all truth.

My Brother in Christ, I like you have been led to argue much, much less with individuals over theological, and/or doctrinal matters. The Lord has been showing me over the last several years that "these doctrinal/theological discussions" have much more to do with my self-righteousness and/or spiritual pride (being driven to prove what I believe is the end all and be all regarding the things of God).

Upvote 0