tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Found this while browsing the other day and thought others might be inspired by it like I was.
------------------------------------------
Exaggerations of Jesus

The argument is often given to us that Jesus purposely over-stated some things in order to grab people's attention, and that he never intended for us to take him literally when he was doing that. In this article, I will consider three classic illustrations of this argument, and then I will add a fourth, which, I believe, exposes the lie in the first three. Finally, I will return to the first three arguments with a vastly different approach.

The most common passage referred to when arguing that Jesus never meant for us to take him literally is where he says that if our eye offends us we should pluck it out, or if our hand offends us, we should cut it off. Obviously, there are very few (if any) Christians walking around with a missing eye or hand because they took this instruction seriously. If that is true, and if we have never done such a thing ourselves, then it must be that Jesus never meant for people to take this literally. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Then there is the passage where Jesus says that, if we have even the smallest measure of faith, we will be able to tell a tree (or even a mountain) to be plucked up and tossed into the ocean, and it will obey us. Once again, where is there anyone who has ever done such things? And what would be the point of it if they had? Jesus wasn't exactly talking nonsense, but he certainly was not expecting anyone to take that literally, was he? Once again, the conclusion is that it was just hyperbole... an exaggeration to make a point.

And finally, there is the passage that we have taken so literally over the years, which is that we must forsake everything that we own if we want to be followers of Jesus. (Luke 14:33 ) With this one, there are a few people, ourselves included, who have tried to take it literally. But the end result is that we are seen by virtually everyone else as being fanatics for doing so... people who just went too far. All Jesus was really talking about was just a need for all of us to keep an eye on our attachment to things and not let them get out of hand.

Okay, so those are the three examples that I said I would give. But what of the fourth example? The one I promised to give, in an attempt to refute the claims relating to the first three? The fourth one is where Jesus (repeatedly) talks about giving us eternal life.

Those churches and believers who ridicule so much of what Jesus said still seem to take him seriously when he talks about eternal life. Why? Isn't it because they can never be proven wrong on this one? Isn't it because they have devised their own systems of beliefs and rules which dangle the carrot of eternal life in front of congregations all over the world without the various preachers ever having to prove that this incredible promise is true? Surely if talk about flying mountains and missing limbs is exaggeration, then talk about living forever must be the most incredible fantasy ever devised.

In fact, if you return to the first illustration above, you will observe that the very point Jesus was trying to make with what he said about cutting off hands and plucking out eyes was that, if eternal life is a reality, then even losing a limb in order to obtain it is a small price to pay. If you read our article "Cut Off Your Hand!" you will see that we observe there that it isn't really hands and eyes that cause us to sin, but rather it is certain attitudes, the most insidious of them being that God doesn't expect us to do or believe anything extreme, which keep us from the kingdom of heaven and all that goes with it. If cutting off my hand really was the one thing keeping me from having eternal life, then obviously it would be stupid of me not to do it. And so the point Jesus was making was not an exaggeration at all. He meant it exactly the way he said it. Until we stop laughing at it as being ridiculous and get deadly serious about what it is saying, we will never truly appreciate what he was saying.

Then there is the second illustration, which is that, if we had even the smallest measure of faith, we would be able to tell trees and mountains to move and they would move. Just as people HAVE cut off hands in order to save lives, people have moved trees and even moved mountains when they have put their minds (and backs and explosives and earth-moving equipment) to it. So we are not talking about impossibilities here. Of course, neither are we talking about a command. We are talking about a promise, and that promise is illustrated by something which sounds quite impossible. We are talking about whether or not faith can cause us to do things that, at least on the surface, appear to be impossible. Every story you have ever read of amazing achievements made by human beings has one common theme: They believed in something strongly enough to do it. Faith is the source of every great achievement... even if it is just faith in one's self. But faith in God is, by far, the greatest source of strength, because it even looks death in the eye and comes out victorious. (Eternal life, remember?) There is no exaggeration in what Jesus has said about faith. He is quite right in saying that if you have faith, you will be able to do anything. Exactly WHAT you do will depend on where your faith lies, and what God is telling you to do, but the possibilities are, in fact (and without exaggeration) totally limitless.

Finally we come to that simple little command which Jesus sets up as the basic requirement for all of his followers, i.e. that we must give up everything that we own. In other places he has expressed it in even more detailed terms, i.e. that we sell whatever we own, and that we give the proceeds to the poor. Extreme? Yes. But nowhere near as extreme as telling you that after you die, after your dead body has decayed and turned to dust, God is going to bring you back to life and give you a new body, one that will live forever. If you can believe in a God who can do that, can't you believe in a God who can feed you without you having to spend your life working for money? Can't you believe in a God who can clothe you without you having to build bigger and bigger wardrobes to hold all the clothes that you own? In following this command, we have experienced a relationship with God that is not just pie in the sky when we die. We have seen his hand working in our lives day after day, proving that he was not exaggerating when he told us to forsake everything that we own.

In this article, we started out with some teachings that people have dismissed as hyperbole, because they found them too difficult to take seriously. We showed that talk about eternal life is equally fantastic, and yet it is the hope of Christian believers around the world. And then we returned to those extreme teachings of Jesus and showed them to be not exaggerations at all, but serious expressions of the extreme nature of all that Jesus stood for. Surely, if we would spend less time ridiculing the teachings of Jesus as "exaggerations", and more time taking him seriously, then even those fantastic promises about eternal life may turn out to be more than fairy tales too.

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Tremble,

Thanks for posting that article. I think some of the things Jesus said (e.g. cutting off one's hand in preference to hell fire) are a bit hard to swallow. But, as the article alluded to, it doesn't mean He wasn't serious when He said them.

I think a lot of people get confused by the literal vs symbolic approach to understanding the Bible. Unless we are sincere, it is easy to apply the wrong approach at the wrong time, e.g. to take a symbolic interpretation when a literal meaning was intended, or vice versa. Bible prophecy would be an example of one area where this occurs fairly frequently.

Anyway, I think it's important for people to question why they interpret different teachings the way they do. Because of our human nature, it is easy to fall for the allure of convenient doctrines, and miss out on the truth as a result. But an honest approach to scriptural interpretation tries to limit biases and assumptions, and looks for consistency and spiritual lessons as well.

For example, if Jesus said we must forsake all our possessions, and we see that His disciples did it, and then we see again that the first apostles in the church of Acts did it, it would represent consistent support for a literal interpretation of that teaching. We have to apply that same approach to pretty much all scriptural teachings if we want to find the truth. Otherwise we're likely to just hear what we want to hear when it comes to various teachings.

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never exaggerated anything, it is people that exaggerate what He has said. That then leads to the apostasy in the church structures.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus never exaggerated anything, it is people that exaggerate what He has said. That then leads to the apostasy in the church structures.

1Jo 4:4 ¶ Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

I agree, Jesus wasn't exaggerating, but it becomes a convenient doctrine for people to claim that he was exaggerating, to avoid applying those teachings to their own lives while still claiming to be a follower.

Some people even say that Jesus was deliberately extreme so that we would understand that he didn't want us trying to apply his teachings. They claim we're not supposed to try these teachings for ourselves because being extreme doesn't fit with comfortable respectability.

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bramwell,

Jesus is the Way the Truth and the life. He made the way and made it clear that all who will not be hurt of the second death must be overcomers.

One way exaggeration is done here way too many make it that Christ overcame for them.

They have faith but we have a problem, it is faith based on presumption and that is not valid. Salvation is made so liberalized by them that all it takes they say is just believe.

Sorry but the devils will burn in the hell of fire and they sure believe, but they want to take as many with them as they can and are succeeding with far too many.

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for that further explanation, Gibs. I guess you are saying that people exaggerate Jesus' teachings about salvation, saying we need only 'believe' and that works are not necessary. I would agree with you on this point. Too many Christians purport a "false grace" theology which is not in fact supported by scripture.

It's also noteworthy that most of these same individuals have a short list of works which one still must do to qualify for salvation. Usually these works include things like saying the sinner's prayer, attending a church every week, not drinking alcohol or swearing, etc. By putting such demands onto believers, they are essentially promoting works as a means to salvation themselves. The biggest difference is that they works they emphasize are not actually ones commanded by Jesus. If we're going to try to follow God, it's best for us to follow the actual teachings of the Master Himself.

Upvote 0

ForJesusChrist

Follower of Christ
Feb 26, 2014
✟18,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think Jesus was exaggerating. Its just that none of us have the guts to do it. We want our faith to be beneficial for us and enjoyable, when in reality, our lives are for God.

Was there ever a time Jesus said He was lying? Jesus always made it clear when He was using a parable to explain something. If He didn't use a parable, I don't believe He was lying.

God Bless

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think Jesus was exaggerating. Its just that none of us have the guts to do it. We want our faith to be beneficial for us and enjoyable, when in reality, our lives are for God.

Was there ever a time Jesus said He was lying? Jesus always made it clear when He was using a parable to explain something. If He didn't use a parable, I don't believe He was lying.

God Bless

If "none of us have the guts to do it", and you are quite correct there, then what was Jesus' purpose? Why would God create an impossible standard AGAIN that he knew no one could follow. Even the people whom we consider to be great Christians, such as Mother Theresa, John Wesley, Billy Graham, all admit to being less than perfect and I believe they aren't saying that out of false humility.

So, we agree that perfection is nearly impossible (Wesley said it was possible, but he only knew a few people who had acheived it. Graham says its not possible on this side of heaven.) and many people here say than anything less is worthless, then why did God bother? Was it just a grand joke he played on humanity, like Lucy and Charlie Brown with the football?

"Here's a Garden. Enjoy! Stay away from the enticing tree in the center!"

"How long can you tread water?"

"Here's Ten Commandments. Good luck keeping those! LOL."

"Here's my son. He's going to give you commands that you can't keep. He's going to die for you, but only for the one in a million who can be perfect. Remember that you are comitting adultery just by having a lustful thought! #YOLO. Yeah, really. Once is all you sinners are going to get!"

"Here's heaven. None of you are good enough for it. Into the lake of burning fire with you!"

Can you see what a joke people make of God by insisting that he sent Jesus to just tell us to be perfect? His statements of the ideal were backed up by his actions to wash us in his blood, precisely because we can't live up to his ideal! He didn't need to die on the cross for people who can become perfect. He died for people who can't be perfect, but believe on him.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
I don't believe Jesus intended us to be perfect, but I do believe he wants us to try. There's a balance here. Ultimately we are saved by grace, but God's not going to give us that grace if we refuse to believe his son. If we believe Jesus, we will believe the things he said, and we will want to do them. If we don't believe, we will say it's too hard and convince ourselves that God can't expect us to follow the teachings of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If "none of us have the guts to do it", and you are quite correct there, then what was Jesus' purpose? Why would God create an impossible standard AGAIN that he knew no one could follow.

It's not impossible to try. Quitters don't build the Kingdom of Heaven. Overcomers do.

Even the people whom we consider to be great Christians, such as Mother Theresa, John Wesley, Billy Graham, all admit to being less than perfect and I believe they aren't saying that out of false humility.

Admitting to our faults is an important part of showing remorse. How did you come to see it instead as a reason to believe we should stop trying?

So, we agree that perfection is nearly impossible (Wesley said it was possible, but he only knew a few people who had acheived it.

God's desire is for us to not sin. I believe Jesus told his followers to be perfect because that is the expectation and it needed to be made clear. God has standards and making mistakes is not a good enough reason to lower the standard. However, grace is there for us when we try and fail; it is not an excuse to stop trying for God's best.

Grace is there to let us know that we are not condemned when we fail. We have a reason to try again. It's there to give us confidence in our walk with God, to take risks and try new things in our efforts to grow closer to him.

Remember the parable of the talents (mt 25:13-30). The first two servants took risks and were fruitful in their efforts to follow their master's instruction to be fruitful.

The third servant was fearful of failure and so he did nothing to act on his master's instructions, though he had convinced himself that his "concerns" were reasonable.

Even the little that he had remaining was taken away from him. No amount of grace in all of Heaven will save a person who gives up trying.

"Here's a Garden. Enjoy! Stay away from the enticing tree in the center!"

"How long can you tread water?"

"Here's Ten Commandments. Good luck keeping those! LOL."

Sure, as human beings we have a terrible time controlling ourselves and often the circumstances seem stacked against us in unfair ways, but God still has the right to make demands. If we fail, then the we should be asking him to show us how to keep his instructions. It's not okay to start teaching that he must have never meant for us to obey him in the first place just because we sometimes struggle with failure.

We should definitely not listen to teachings which encourage us to stop trying even if they sound spiritual, or respectable or they come from our friends or family or our pastors or anyone. We need to resist the convenience of arguments which excuse us from Jesus' standards for citizenship in the Kingdom of Heaven.

"Here's my son. He's going to give you commands that you can't keep. He's going to die for you, but only for the one in a million who can be perfect. Remember that you are comitting adultery just by having a lustful thought! #YOLO. Yeah, really. Once is all you sinners are going to get!"

It is not scriptural that Jesus said or even hinted in any way that we cannot keep his instructions. In fact, the opposite is true. There are many examples of Jesus being quite clear that he expects us to act on his instructions.

Can you see what a joke people make of God by insisting that he sent Jesus to just tell us to be perfect?

But he didn't come just to tell us to be perfect. He gave us instructions and guidelines on how to change our behaviour to conform with God's idea of perfection.

And he gave us Jesus' sacrifice on the cross to show us that, while God is willing to offer grace, he still considers sin wrong and demanded justice for it. He didn't lower his standards even for his own son.

How can we now complain that his standards are too hard and unrealistic? Even with grace available, obedience is still too unpopular.

His statements of the ideal were backed up by his actions to wash us in his blood, precisely because we can't live up to his ideal! He didn't need to die on the cross for people who can become perfect. He died for people who can't be perfect, but believe on him.

You say you believe "on" him while at the same time you teach that it is impossible to do what he asked us to do. It sounds so much like, "surely you will not die".

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Found this while browsing the other day and thought others might be inspired by it like I was.
------------------------------------------
Exaggerations of Jesus

Jesus didn't exaggerate anything, He clarified.

For any who think they have what it takes to make themselves acceptable to a perfect God, the sermon on the mount makes it clear they do not. The standard is perfection. How perfect? As perfect as the Father in Heaven. If that doesn't bury you, then the law still hasn't done its work in your life.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus didn't exaggerate anything, He clarified.

For any who think they have what it takes to make themselves acceptable to a perfect God, the sermon on the mount makes it clear they do not. The standard is perfection. How perfect? As perfect as the Father in Heaven. If that doesn't bury you, then the law still hasn't done its work in your life.

Can you be a bit more clear?

But whatever it is you mean, I'm happy that you mentioned the sermon on the mount. At the end of the sermon, Jesus told a story about a wise man and a foolish man. Both men heard the teachings of Jesus, but only the wise man acted on those teachings and as a result he was saved.

The foolish man did not act on Jesus' teachings and as a result he was destroyed.

It is foolish to create doctrines which teach us not to act on Jesus' teachings.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Can you be a bit more clear?

But whatever it is you mean, I'm happy that you mentioned the sermon on the mount. At the end of the sermon, Jesus told a story about a wise man and a foolish man. Both men heard the teachings of Jesus, but only the wise man acted on those teachings and as a result he was saved.

The foolish man did not act on Jesus' teachings and as a result he was destroyed.

It is foolish to create doctrines which teach us not to act on Jesus' teachings.

The wise person teaches the "good news" of what Jesus has accomplished for us. The foolish person teaches, “everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock”, as if that is good news.

Upvote 0

Gibs

Aug 12, 2013
✟8,846.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Jesus did not exaggerate anything is correct, it is man that exaggerates what Jesus has said and taught.

Also when it comes to perfection, we are to become perfect here in our sphere as He showed us here on earth as one of us. You must know that He did not overcome Satan as God but as a man and yet taking our fallen nature upon Himself.

Read and comprehend these verses,

Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Col 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Ro 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Yes, that verse rings out true because He inherited our natures from His mother which was in the area of 4,000 yrs. after the fall~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The wise person teaches the "good news" of what Jesus has accomplished for us. The foolish person teaches, “everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock”, as if that is good news.

MT 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

MT 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

MT 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

MT 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

We should not believe people who tell us that we don't need to obey Jesus.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The issue I have about the forsaking of possessions is that it leads to all sorts of absurdities. If Jesus thinks possessions are bad by the letter of the law, I'm very inclined to think the borrowing or even use of possessions would be bad as well by the spirit of the law. However, in the Bible, we see a completely different picture. The disciples used boats and stayed at people's houses all the time. There is no asceticism found in the gospels or Acts. They still had fairly comfortable lives. I find it rather arbitrary that I can go to a library and fulfill God's purposes, but I can't actually OWN one. Let's look at some other passages in scripture:

Jesus even says to use money to accomplish God's will:

Luke 16:9-11 (WEB) "tell you, make for yourselves friends by means of unrighteous mammon, so that when you fail, they may receive you into the eternal tents. 10 He who is faithful in a very little is faithful also in much. He who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. 11 If therefore you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?"

Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword:

Luke 22:36 (WEB) "Then he said to them, “But now, whoever has a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet. Whoever has none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword."

Acts 2:44-46, (WEB) "All who believed were together, and had all things in common. 45 They sold their possessions and goods, and distributed them to all, according as anyone had need. 46 Day by day, continuing steadfastly with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread at home, they took their food with gladness and singleness of heart."

Acts 4:32 (WEB) "The multitude of those who believed were of one heart and soul. Not one of them claimed that anything of the things which he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common."

That being said, I don't think the claim to sell all is absolute in extent, nor is Jesus advocating some sort of asceticism. I think Jesus wants us to use our money and possessions to serve him, as well as have the necessities of life. I'm certain, at least for me, to sell my useless toys and stuff I don't use or really need, and use that money to help others

I don't think the command applies to everyone in the same way at the same time, however.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The word "exaggeration" is a bit extreme. Someone even used the word "lying".

Jesus was a rabbi, a teacher.

When I was in the Navy, I served a tour as an instructor where I taught people in their late teens and early 20s to operate a nuclear reactor. We had an operating reactor to train them on and they actually did that after about 7 months of classroom training.

As an instructor, you know that you must teach the ideal always. If you teach the shortcut, people will take that as the ideal and then invent a new shortcut. With nuclear power, this is not a good idea.

So, I taught the ideal in the classroom and I demonstrated the ideal on the critical reactor plant. As an instructor, I would never let a student see me taking a shortcut. Even when a student would see an obviously easier way to do something, I would caution him that he can do whatever he wants when he graduated and moves to his boat, but at this plant, we do it by the book every time.

Most of the deep discussions found in the gospels are Jesus, the rabbi, taking to his disciples/students. He always taught them the ideal. He taught them to operate by the book, knowing what would happen after he was gone.

He never said, "Don't bother doing this right because I know you won''t." That is not how a good teacher teaches. But a good teacher knows that after the student leaves the classroom, they will find an easier way that will yield the same results. They also know that some will take too many shortcuts and will fail and return to what they learned in class--the ideal.

In summary, a teacher always teaches the ideal, knowing that the student will find an easier way. A student will always look for the easy way, but remembers that the ideal way did work every time. An equilibrium will always be found, and the Good News is that Grace can be found at the equilibrium point just as much as it is found at the ideal.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
The word "exaggeration" is a bit extreme. Someone even used the word "lying".

Jesus was a rabbi, a teacher.

When I was in the Navy, I served a tour as an instructor where I taught people in their late teens and early 20s to operate a nuclear reactor. We had an operating reactor to train them on and they actually did that after about 7 months of classroom training.

As an instructor, you know that you must teach the ideal always. If you teach the shortcut, people will take that as the ideal and then invent a new shortcut. With nuclear power, this is not a good idea.

So, I taught the ideal in the classroom and I demonstrated the ideal on the critical reactor plant. As an instructor, I would never let a student see me taking a shortcut. Even when a student would see an obviously easier way to do something, I would caution him that he can do whatever he wants when he graduated and moves to his boat, but at this plant, we do it by the book every time.

Most of the deep discussions found in the gospels are Jesus, the rabbi, taking to his disciples/students. He always taught them the ideal. He taught them to operate by the book, knowing what would happen after he was gone.

He never said, "Don't bother doing this right because I know you won''t." That is not how a good teacher teaches. But a good teacher knows that after the student leaves the classroom, they will find an easier way that will yield the same results. They also know that some will take too many shortcuts and will fail and return to what they learned in class--the ideal.

In summary, a teacher always teaches the ideal, knowing that the student will find an easier way. A student will always look for the easy way, but remembers that the ideal way did work every time. An equilibrium will always be found, and the Good News is that Grace can be found at the equilibrium point just as much as it is found at the ideal.

Except it's not an "ideal" it's a requirement, a demand that must be met. When you cheapen the law, reducing its demand for perfection, you rob it of its power to lead to Christ.

What Jesus was doing was using the law properly, to prepare our hearts for the good news of God’s grace. Jesus is saying you can either trust your own law-keeping performance or you can trust His. But what you can’t do is dilute the law to some standard lower than perfection and think that impresses God.

Upvote 0