Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also, why would you go to another country and then ask the people living in that country to give you money to cover your living expenses? If nobody is able to host you just find a paying job like everyone else. Paul made tents and didnt ask people for money...that was his living and he was able to hire a house with the funds he got from making tents.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I dont know im proably confusing myself now with what I hear when people talk and they constantly talk about money in the media and scare everyone with soaring house price and speculation. Especially in my hometown.

Heaps of people just want this housing hysteria to stop but it wont. Apparently you cna just make a living houseflipping and being a landlord, buying and selling to get gain but sounds like a stressful wAy of life to me constantly watching interest rates.

Im like, yea so what, it wont matter if the Lord wants to take you tonight.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think all this investment scaring stuff, sharkemarets, bonds and property is rubbish.
Did you just recently come to this conclusion, or have you held this opinion for a long time? I ask because if you've thought this way for a while, why did you start the thread? Do you really believe that you should give all your money away? Do you really believe that you shouldn't be saving?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im coming back to this thread as have a bit more time to read up on it and go over it.

Are bonds a good investment?
I read that you must ladder them so you can get income each year or something like that.

Isnt buying bonds just like lending money to the govt for a fixed amount of interest. Is it biblical to do that?
I bought some AA rated corporate bonds close to the end of Bernanke's term at the Fed when interest rates were higher. They yielded about 5 to 5.5% per year at purchase price. I have not sold them. The bonds are not callable. They are long term bonds. The stock market was roaring at the time and there was a short term spike in bond yields. I do not put all my eggs in one basket, but had to diversify my portfolio between stocks, bonds and cash. Currently bond yields are so low, I have some money in a low fee short term bond fund that yields close to one percent. I also bought a two year CD when interest rates were higher. I might switch to long term bonds if interest rates will rise again. After calculating income each year, I donated some of my earnings to non-profits helping the poor or top rated university departments doing medical research and training doctors. I diversified my charitable giving between seven organizations.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Closed end funds are really good. You buy and sell them just like shares on the market. Many CEF''s invest exclusively in bonds of your homestate, usually if you invest in one of these from your homestate ther are exempt of all local and state taxes. For example the Pimco New York State CEF yield between 5-6% and most cefs payout monthly.

By the way giving away everything to the poor or to God is actually a favorite of the ultra rich. They set up foundations to carry on their legacy after death, like giving donations where the new wing of a hospital is named after them or setting up grants (think Nobel prize) all tax deductible. Upon death they donate their entire fortune and avoid the exorbitant estate tax (death tax).

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
With the ultra rich though for example bill gates they make a big show of philanthropy but put it into promoting abortion (called euphemistically family planning) so not all rich people do good they could intend to but the money is actually being used for evil ends.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
With the ultra rich though for example bill gates they make a big show of philanthropy but put it into promoting abortion (called euphemistically family planning) so not all rich people do good they could intend to but the money is actually being used for evil ends.
that's my point none of them do. Warren Buffet supports raising the estate tax yet has promised his entire fortune to the Gates Foundation. Meaning he will be exempt from the estate tax. Bill Gates donates computers with Windows OS In Africa, it's self serving. He also supports vaccines that sterilize women etc. All the while their legacy as a philanthropist will remain forever. Perhaps the tax advantages and self serving foundations are better than nothing at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If someone could post what the bible says on usury (i think thats what its called, charging interest on loans) that would help.
Jesus taught people should lend expecting nothing in return. Giving part of your wealth to charity and expecting nothing in return is generous. You may need to check to see how much of your money gets through to needy people and how much the charity pays for its own salaries and other expenses.

Some people invested in index funds like an S&P 500 fund or a NASDAQ 100 fund. These are volatile when the stock market is volatile, but likely to appreciate over a decades long time interval. There are some companies in an index that are charging high interest rates for high risk borrowers seeking unsecured loans or credit card lines of credit. Because not everyone will pay back their loans, lending is risky. You might not expect to get paid in return anyway, if you lend money to someone who never pays it back. Some states have gone after payday lenders and reduced the interest they may charge. People got addicted to borrowing. It is a trap.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums