Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just came back from Saturday Vespers. Couldn't stop laughing at what happend when the service was over.

The Choir Director and the Priest got into a ravel, lols.

The Priest who has a naturally loud voice and doesnt realize it, stoped the Choir with his loud voice while it was singing because they were supposedly not singing too well..

The girl (chior director) started yelling at the priest slapping papers around, and the priest started to kinda yell back, lols. This went on for about 10 minutes as everyone watched and i was trying not to laugh. HAHA!

In the end, they all made up, and the Priest made the Chior director kiss everyone in the group so they dont rumble against each other after he leaves.

Oh wow, LOLz, what a night!

Godbless.

Reactions: moses916

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Choir is there to follow the Priest in leading the Church (in singing) and not the other way around.

Choirs are means of the Church singing and Church is not a mean of choirs singing.

Church is not there for the choirs but choir for the Church.

Choir directors and choirs which think that sole reason for existence of the Church is for them to shine and on the days when their performance is not 100% that the Heaven is falling apart... should be put against the wall and shot.

And thus ended my tirade against choirs....
:D

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Most Holy Theotokos save us!
Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
xristos.anesti said:
Choir is there to follow the Priest in leading the Church (in singing) and not the other way around.

Choirs are means of the Church singing and Church is not a mean of choirs singing.

Choir directors and choirs which think that sole reason for existence of the Church is for them to shine and on the days when their performance is not 100% that the Heaven is falling apart... should be put against the wall and shot.

Haha right, very nice!

Ah, the putting against the wall and getting shot part you explain. :doh: What a horrible mental picture. Ah!

lol, Godbless.

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
xristos.anesti said:

I have to say I agree that the choir is about leading the church in the prayers and that the Priest ultimately directs. The choir director should always at all times be respectful to the authority of the Priest. Had I been there I doubt I would have found this incident funny.

The choir is to lead the prayerful responses of the congregation in the service. However, if the choir is failing to do so well, the Priest may interrupt. My priest says, "When the choir is having a train wreck, we change course."

I know Tsarina that you are a catachumen so you may not understand that the Priest is ultimately in charge. You have not also been in churches where the choir tried to usurb the authority of the priest. I have. It was a mess. And it was definately NOT entertaining.

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
thornygrace said:
I have to say I agree that the choir is about leading the church in the prayers and that the Priest ultimately directs. The choir director should always at all times be respectful to the authority of the Priest. Had I been there I doubt I would have found this incident funny.

The choir is to lead the prayerful responses of the congregation in the service. However, if the choir is failing to do so well, the Priest may interrupt. My priest says, "When the choir is having a train wreck, we change course."

I know Tsarina that you are a catachumen so you may not understand that the Priest is ultimately in charge. You have not also been in churches where the choir tried to usurb the authority of the priest. I have. It was a mess. And it was definately NOT entertaining.

Like Andreas said. Even the deacon joked about it in the end. (Yes, Andreas and i go to the same Church).

I can see why the Priest may have stopped the Choir, since the Choir failed to do so well. However, i still thought it was funny.
Comon, the Choir directer lady was stomping and raving like a baby. Her behavior was so childish that it was funny. The decon was trying to hold his laughter in as well, since he looked like he was clenching those teeth behind that smile that was about to burst. He had to get away from the area where this was happening in the Church and run to us to joke about it. lols.

Although i dont agree with the Choir director acting this way towards the Priest, or like that in general while in Church. I still found it funny. :p

Godbless.

Upvote 0

Tsarina

Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Andreas said:
Even the Deacon joked at the end, that at least at this Church things are never boring.:p

Haha, definaltey never boring! Specially when the Priest jokes around calling the both of us "Germans" for always being early. ^_^

Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Tsarina said:
Haha, definaltey never boring! Specially when the Priest jokes around calling the both of us "Germans" for always being early. ^_^

:D Ha ha. Have you not learned "Orthodox" time? What an Outrage to be so early! (joking of course!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tsarina

Aug 13, 2005
Who wants to know?
Visit site
✟6,523.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
thornygrace said:
I was laughing about you being called "German" for being so early. It is so common to be late in so many Orthodox Churches that my Priest calls it "Orthodox time".

Oh okay, gotacha.
Sorry, im really out of it tonight, dont feel too well. :(
I almost pressed a plate against my lips thinking it was my glass of milk. :sorry:

Godbless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.