Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think a lot of it depends on your motives.

Are you NOT drinking because you have a smug satisfaction in it, or are you doing it because God convicted you that for your witness it is not acceptable?

Also, never say "never" to God....right now not drinking may be part of your witness and testimony, just don't ever hesistate to go into a bar and have a beer if it gives you the opportunity to share the gospel.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of it depends on your motives.

Are you NOT drinking because you have a smug satisfaction in it, or are you doing it because God convicted you that for your witness it is not acceptable?

As I've explained a few times, it's neither. It was a choice I made that the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Upvote 0

The Princess Bride

Legend
Site Supporter
May 2, 2005
Georgia
✟69,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
yeah, exactly...i feel pride about it, so, maybe if i drank...it'd erase the pride? :)
Not all forms of pride is wrong.

You can take pride in knowing you are a good artist, or a talented dancer, or great cook....why can't you take pride in never having drank? :cool:

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Self-confidence and pride are not the same. Pride, IMO, is an excessively overblown opinion of oneself; unreasonable and inordinate self-esteem; proud or disdainful behavior or treatment; insolence or arrogance of demeanor; haughty bearing and conduct; insolent exultation; disdain; conceit; egotism; narcissism; pretension. vanity.

Self-confidence and self-respect may be called pride but it is not the same as the above.

~Jim
People don’t fail; they just give up trying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just so. A local church (Lutheran/Episcopal - yes, they're affiliated with both) has something they call Theology Pub, basically a small group meeting where they gather at a tavern and talk theology over pints. I haven't been to that yet, but it sounds great to me. :thumbsup:

That is enough to make me an Episcopalian.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have heard the same thing about sheep and wyoming.

Oh no you didn't!

6551hxrnrg1qj4.gif

Reactions: msbojingles
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm 33 and I've never had a drink of alcohol. In social situations, this often makes me stand out as weird. I typically have to explain my reasons; I don't want to become an alcoholic and my grandfather drunk himself to death.

When someone who is not an alcoholic has to deal with a family member who is, very often the only thing they can do is choose to be teetotal themselves. I did this myself, many years ago. My ex's drinking was way out of control, so I gave up alcohol completely for about seven years or so.

The problem is, this non drinking is not a choice, it is a reaction. It means that your life is controlled by alcoholism, just as your grandfather's was. This is nothing to do with piety.

The day you are free to have one drink, quietly and with friends, safe in the knowledge that you are not your grandfather, is the day you will truly be free from him, and his devastating effect on you.

I drink with my daughter, who is still a teenager. We buy a half bottle of wine, and share it with a meal, usually on a Friday night. I still dilute mine with water. In this way she learns that she is in control, and that drinking in moderation is part of life, and a healthy thing to do. We do this maybe two or three times a year, no more. She hates immoderate drinking, and every time she sees adverts for wine or beer on the television, she says 'b****y alcoholics!' She has a lot of anger against her dad, but no fear of becoming an alcoholic herself.

What is not healthy is to follow the perfectionist line, in anything, imo. I think I would recommend the next time your wife has a drink, you take one tiny sip, swear roundly at your grandfather, and then forget about the whole issue.

I wish you well, and I am not at all surprised that you have had to follow this path, to find your own identity. :wave:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tamara224
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.