Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm 33 and I've never had a drink of alcohol. In social situations, this often makes me stand out as weird. I typically have to explain my reasons; I don't want to become an alcoholic and my grandfather drunk himself to death.

Sometimes I feel pride about my choice not
to drink. Being that pride is a sin, I sometimes wonder if I should just take a drink so I don't have this area of pride in my life.

Now, I actually think it's ok to drink as long as you can control yourself, my reasons for not drinking are a fear of becoming a drunk. Probably irrational, but, I just see way more negatives coming from drinking than not.

I have the same issue with swearing, as I haven't swore since 1988.

Should I swear too and free myself of this pride? :D

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I'm 33 and I've never had a drink of alcohol. In social situations, this often makes me stand out as weird. I typically have to explain my reasons; I don't want to become an alcoholic and my grandfather drunk himself to death.

Sometimes I feel pride about my choice not
to drink. Being that pride is a sin, I sometimes wonder if I should just take a drink so I don't have this area of pride in my life.

Now, I actually think it's ok to drink as long as you can control yourself, my reasons for not drinking are a fear of becoming a drunk. Probably irrational, but, I just see way more negatives coming from drinking than not.

Pride as in you think you're better than those who do these things that you don't do or pride in that you are satisfied with your choice to not do something that you feel would be a bad choice for you? I think there is a difference.
rocking.gif

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pride in that I'm proud I don't drink. My wife has a drink now and then, and it actually kind of bugs me, but she never has more than a glass...so, I have some kind of issue cause I'm ok with it, yet I'm not ok with it. I look down on it, even though I think it's ok to do.
I feel uncomfortable around it. I think about broken homes, abusive fathers and people driving into trees and other cars.

Weird huh?

Upvote 0

Prizm

Oct 25, 2008
✟8,052.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Turn your pride into compassion. They're lost souls, just like you once were. You've blown it and certainly aren't perfect. To have a pride that says you're better than that person for not being given to alcohol, is to forget the depths of sin you came from. God has given you such unmerited favour and grace, don't forget it.
^
That's what I think about anytime I start getting a bit high-minded.

Oh, and that's a ludicrous statement to say you should take a drink to stop being prideful. You'd blow your Christian testimony in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm totally against Drunkenness, but I do enjoy a great adult beverage. If someone can't control it, they shouldn't drink.
Yes, but saying someone shouldn't drink if they cannot control themselves is easy. I'd bet most alcoholics would say they wish they could stop.

That's my problem, I see too many negatives with drinking. One bad day could ruin your life forever.

I don't have that problem with too much spaghetti.

Turn your pride into compassion. They're lost souls, just like you once were.

Oh, and that's a ludicrous statement to say you should take a drink to stop being prideful. You'd blow your Christian testimony in a heartbeat.

ah...thanks! Though, I must say, I'm around some Christians who drink too, and I don't look down on them as lost people. Like my wife... :)

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pride in that I'm proud I don't drink. My wife has a drink now and then, and it actually kind of bugs me, but she never has more than a glass...so, I have some kind of issue cause I'm ok with it, yet I'm not ok with it. I look down on it, even though I think it's ok to do.
I feel uncomfortable around it. I think about broken homes, abusive fathers and people driving into trees and other cars.

Weird huh?

LEGALIST!!!!:redcard:

Reactions: kittystorm92
Upvote 0

Prizm

Oct 25, 2008
✟8,052.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I think about broken homes, abusive fathers and people driving into trees and other cars.

Weird huh?

That's not weird at all. As a Christian, I don't want to contribute to the alcohol epidemic. I've been thinking about it recently, and dear God, how many people and teenagers would still be alive if it weren't for alcohol?

I personally don't drink because I believe it's a bad Christian example. Most unsaved people will tell you in general that Christians don't swear, don't drink, etc. They know how Christians should act and that there's something not quite right about those things. We're supposed to live differently than the rest of the world. We're supposed to try and be blameless in our testimony. If I go out and have 'one too many', then I've blown it.

What if I walk into work and have someone say "Aren't you a Christian? I saw you at the pub last night..". Am I going to tell him that I have freedom in Christ and can control my drinking? What part of my life promotes holiness and a changed lifestyle in Christ?

I agree it can be tough at work sometimes. Friday afternoon and the boss buys a carton and you're the odd one out. The majority of my conversation during those times seems to be "No thanks, I don't drink". Finally my boss gave up and said "Ok, I'll buy you a coke!"

Anyway, I just wanted to share my perspective on it and provide some thoughts to mull over.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Turn your pride into compassion. They're lost souls, just like you once were. You've blown it and certainly aren't perfect. To have a pride that says you're better than that person for not being given to alcohol, is to forget the depths of sin you came from. God has given you such unmerited favour and grace, don't forget it.
^
That's what I think about anytime I start getting a bit high-minded.

Blow his testimony to who?

The bible doesn’t say don’t drink, it says don’t get drunk.

Anyway,

There is nothing wrong with abstaining either, the “wrong” is when you make abstinence from alcohol a religious requirement.

As far as the OP goes,

Only God can show your heart in this matter, but, Pride, Fear, or Control should never be our motivating factors for doing anything.

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sometimes I feel pride about my choice not to drink. Being that pride is a sin, I sometimes wonder if I should just take a drink so I don't have this area of pride in my life.

I understand..:)

You dont want pride,yet you dont want to catch a buzz,then have a buzzed pride on top of it,only fueling the pride more...:D

Then,if you start cursing,you will be a proud cursing drunk...:D:p

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It takes more than a drink to make you into a drunk, believe me. Being a drunk is something you actually have to put some effort into, at least initially.

However, if your family has a history of being overachievers in that area, don't risk it. It's called an addiction for a reason.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand..:)

You dont want pride,yet you dont want to catch a buzz,then have a buzzed pride on top of it,only fueling the pride more...:D

Then,if you start cursing,you will be a proud cursing drunk...:D:p

rofl...

...something like that...

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Blow his testimony to who?

To other Christians. I've had drinks with many unbelievers. So far, I haven't seen this "Christians don't drink" stereotype from unbelievers. I've only ever gotten it from Christians. In fact, I've told several of my non-believing friends how a big portion of my Christian family thinks I shouldn't drink alcohol and my friends always think that's weird - they had no idea that Christians weren't supposed to drink alcohol. Many of them have said to me "but, didn't Jesus turn water into wine?" :idea:

And another question to ask is "what testimony"? What am I testifying to if I refuse to have a drink of alcohol? Am I testifying about the freedom I have in Christ? Am I testifying about the grace I have found? Am I testifying about my reliance on the Holy Spirit to keep me from falling into alcoholism and addiction? Am I showing that I have the fruit of the spirit (self-control) because of my relationship with the Father?

Or am I testifying about following rules and trying to be perfect? Am I showing people Christ's righteousness or my own ability to follow man-made rules?

What testimony, then?

The bible doesn’t say don’t drink, it says don’t get drunk.

In fact, the Bible says don't be a drunk... it's talking about a lifestyle, habitual drunkenness. Getting an occasional buzz on is not wrong, of that I am convinced. I don't believe God would encourage people to partake in an intoxicating substance but be upset with us when that substance ends up intoxicating us on occasion.

Anyway,

There is nothing wrong with abstaining either, the “wrong” is when you make abstinence from alcohol a religious requirement.

:thumbsup:

As far as the OP goes,

Only God can show your heart in this matter, but, Pride, Fear, or Control should never be our motivating factors for doing anything.

John O.

:thumbsup: "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."

Reactions: GrapeGirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The best marketing job in history has and is being done by those who make alcoholic beverages and those who advertise them.

The idea that drinking the juice from a rotted plant, which is the result of fermentation, is something to be desired, and makes one more "sophisticated", "cooler", "sociable" etc. is one of the biggest, most ridiculous deceptive fantasies every swallowed hook, line and sinker by the worlds population.:)

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea that drinking the juice from a rotted plant, which is the result of fermentation, is something to be desired, and makes one more "sophisticated", "cooler", "sociable" etc. is one of the biggest, most ridiculous deceptive fantasies every swallowed hook, line and sinker by the worlds population.:)

In that case, we'd better not eat cheese either - made from the secretions of animals, curdled by bacterial action, and often left to go mouldy for a few weeks... or months. :yum: ^_^

Joking aside, I agree advertising to make us think we're cool for drinking alcohol is absurd, but I love Tamara's post, and this part is a very good point:

In fact, the Bible says don't be a drunk... it's talking about a lifestyle, habitual drunkenness. Getting an occasional buzz on is not wrong, of that I am convinced. I don't believe God would encourage people to partake in an intoxicating substance but be upset with us when that substance ends up intoxicating us on occasion.

It would be wonderful if every person was able to enjoy alcoholic beverages safely, but in a world where some cannot we must each make our own decisions according to the grace and wisdom of God to us and be supportive of others' freedom to do the same.

I'm sorry, Alpine, about the great loss, sadness and fear brought into your family by alcohol.
I pray you find greater healing and freedom from all that, and that even if you continue to remain abstinent you can relax around others who drink sensibly.

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The best marketing job in history has and is being done by those who make alcoholic beverages and those who advertise them.

This is so funny. People have been enjoying alcoholic beverages for thousands of years. Just about the first thing Noah did after the flood was to grow some grapes, make some wine and overindulge.

How can you possibly blame "marketing" for alcohol consumption when "marketing" is only, at most, a few hundred years old?

Oh, and fermentation is not rotting... it's a chemical reaction that occurs when sugar and yeast are mixed together. Grapes, when crushed, begin to ferment immediately. Don't believe me? Try it at home. It's easy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.