Don't work Don't Eat? vs would not work, he shouldn't eat?

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think of worldly as outside of the house, in the world. Around people in the world, rather than being kept sheltered away at home, so to speak.

Definition of a worldly job, is definitely subjective. I can see your point, though, no one is spirit yet so having a spiritual job is out of the question. As long as we are physical we need physical/worldly jobs in order to survive. So, in that regard, you're right. Everything I listed is a worldly job.
Which we are still called to accomplish "...as unto Christ."

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think of worldly as outside of the house, in the world. Around people in the world, rather than being kept sheltered away at home, so to speak.

Definition of a worldly job, is definitely subjective. I can see your point, though, no one is spirit yet so having a spiritual job is out of the question. As long as we are physical we need physical/worldly jobs in order to survive. So, in that regard, you're right. Everything I listed is a worldly job.
Ok, I'm glad you know what you are trying to say.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haha, I wish that was true
I think it is.
How do you define "a worldly job"?

If a Christian is using the gifts that God gave them, are in the place that God has put them and are working for him, how can their work be "worldly"?
Was Paul "worldly" when he was working as a tent maker in Corinth, and he was only doing "Christin work" when he was preaching?
Did Jesus have a "worldly job" as a carpenter for 18 years and only had a "spiritual job" when he started his ministry?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lydia was a dealer in purple cloth.
Fun fact:

Mark Antony and Octavian (Augustus) had their showdown with the forces of Brutus and Cassius at that site in 42 BC, leaving hundreds of Roman Legionaries in defeat near the then-abandoned Greek city of Philippi. Rather than slaughter the defeated soldiers, Rome allowed them to colonize Philippi. It became a Roman city under the direct control of the emperor, an "echo of Rome." (Ceasarea was another colonia, an "echo of Rome.")

Any Imperial decree for the city of Rome itself was effective in Philippi as well. That included the decree by Caesar Claudius in about 45 BC to expel all Jews from the city. That was the situation when Paul arrived around 49 BC when he began his European ministry at Philippi. That's why there was no synagogue in Philippi at that time. That's also why there was a hubbub when it was revealed that Paul and his companions were Jews purveying their "one true God" religion...Jews were not supposed to be there. And that was also why Paul's status as a Roman citizen carried particular weight.

Philippi was a Roman colonia under the decrees of the emperor. Another of those decrees was that only Roman government officials were allowed to wear purple. So, Lydia's clientele weren't merely the wealthy, they were specifically wealthy Roman government officials.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
a lot of people say "Don't work, Don't eat" but The Bible says in 2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." it says those who would not work, willing to work, should not eat. doesn't say don't work don't eat. yet some will say to poor people, mentally challenged people, young adults who are lost, can't find a worldly job "don't work don't eat" to them, implying they need to work a worldly job for lucre otherwise don't eat. others will attack the homeless on this verse. What is the true meaning?
This is what 2 Thess 3:10 means .

That if , ANY // TIS is a INDEFINITE PRONOUN , in the NOMINATIVE CASE , in the SINGULAR .

#2 WOULD // THELO , is a Greek PRESENT TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , in the INDICATIVE MOOD , means it is a fact , in the SINGULAR

#3 NOT // in the Greek is a DISJUNCARIVE PARTICLE NEGATIVE and means that person will NEVER work .

#4 NEITHER SHOULD HE EAT // ESTHIO , is in The Greek PRESENTN TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , IMPERATIVE MOOD , and the IMPERATIVE MOOD means it is a FACT , in the SINGULAR .

This what the Greek break down of 2Thess 3:10 really MEANS !!

dan p

Upvote 0