Does watching TV add or take away from you?

achamau

Jan 13, 2013
UK
Visit site
✟15,131.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Over the last few years God has been leading me away from TV, I only tend to watch it very sporadically and only food and home programmes but the crazy thing is that when I do watch it I get the TV bug! The eyes are definitely the window to your soul and I know from studies on memory that short term memory is visually encoded which means that what we see is much more likely to pass into STM then LTM. I have also noticed that my dreams change a lot when I watch TV so on an unconscious/subconscious level something must be happening. Has anyone noticed any similar effects of TV watching on mood etc?

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,088,148.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
He has led me away from t.v. too. In fact I felt He told me "No t.v." and "T.V. is being used to harden the hearts of Americans." Look at all the inappropriate contento on there, even in the ads, the way it tries to make gayness cute & funny, the sadisitic violence. Not only that t.v. waves are deliberately set at a frequency to induce a mild hynotic trance. (Plus you never know what subliminals you are being exposed to.)

Notice in the new shows, ads, elsewhere, all those flashing lights and weaving images. They further enhance the hypnotic state. When they call it "programming" they ain't kidding!

I have not missed t.v. I get my news from the net and the radio. There are so many other things to watch on the net that are actually good for your brain. It's not your imagination that the Father is leading you away from t.v. He doesn't want you to be polluted by it. "Be careful when you think you stand lest you fall."

Upvote 0

COG2013

Nov 5, 2012
Quartz Hill, Ca, USA
✟15,984.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Over the last few years God has been leading me away from TV, I only tend to watch it very sporadically and only food and home programmes but the crazy thing is that when I do watch it I get the TV bug! The eyes are definitely the window to your soul and I know from studies on memory that short term memory is visually encoded which means that what we see is much more likely to pass into STM then LTM. I have also noticed that my dreams change a lot when I watch TV so on an unconscious/subconscious level something must be happening. Has anyone noticed any similar effects of TV watching on mood etc?

That would depend on what you watch. You watch American Idol thats OK - You watch Jerry Springer - that takes away from you.

Upvote 0

Koakku

Site Supporter
May 4, 2012
Pennsylvania
✟61,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would have to say secular tv takes a lot away from you and replaces your knowledge with vanity. Christian tv is okay but not okay to replace the bible or a solid sermon online, there's also some programs on Christian tv you have to watch out for that could be preaching a false doctrine.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We just have an antenna and because we only get local stations we don't watch it as much... or at least I don't. Is tv bad for us? Like anything it can be. I cut my list of what I watch to only like 2 or 3 shows. Even then I don't revolve my life around it. If I have to go to a church event lets say and my show is on... I go to the church event. I can always download the show later, or in some cases not even worry about missing an episode.

When we go to church I always shake my head when people rush out of service because a football game is on or something like that. When the superbowl comes around its amazing how many people don't even show up to service so they can prepare for the game. We tend to make lots of things in America our idols. TV, sports, facebook, owning things, money, being busy...etc.

Being disabled I have lots of time on my hands. But I don't really waste it keeping myself entertained (well not to much). Its why when I am not at church, reading my bible...etc I am on here either helping bring people to Christ or helping those who struggle as christians. It makes me happy to know I can help someone from the wisdom God has given me from my past!

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2013
✟15,142.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree as well that tv is not good to watch at all! A little bit every now and then like the news or a nice documentary is ok, but the majority of it is rubbish and grieves the holy spirit.
I went through a tv addiction and found the best way to get rid of it is to not watch it at all and not have a tv around me if possible and to just be firm that i was going to not watch anything that God doesn't approve of.
A good point to remember is "What would Jesus do?" I doubt he would be watching tv.
Anyway there is a lot of research that shows tv is harmful to your health, and the mind programming that goes on is terrible.
Before i was converted i used to watch heaps, it was one of my coping mechanisms. Now, when i would watch heaps of sitcoms, movies etc, i would be so disgusted at all the subliminal messages. Don't be misled, even the music shows have it too, that music is not glorifying god and it is also full of ungodly messages.
Turn to God and go deep into prayer with him and you will find peace.
God is good! Love and Blessings :)

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
TV is grreat but you should only watch like an hour a day because really I think you should be doing stuff rather than just watching others do stuff. I don't watch much other than what my dad has on, like Fox or sports or something I catch snippets throughout the day. I love fashion shows and watching cheerleading or something on TV but thats usually just an hour long.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
D

dano884christ

"Television and Entertainment are Satan's replacement for God's joy". -Leonard Ravenhill.

how can we tear down satan's strongholds if we can't turn off the television? Entertainment is to encapture and enslave our minds. The old testament says if we have any evil thing in our house, we will be set apart by god for destruction. Save your soul! Get rid of your television! Many professing believers are going to hell because of it. the early church ad no time for entertainment. The Lord said to deny ourselves. Entertaining ourselves with anything is a sin. our ONLY source of joy is to be the lord. End your idolatry before you die and are drug off to the fires of hell for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Barricade24

Feb 3, 2012
In a Chair
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Honestly, there aren't very many good shows on Television anymore. The only a few shows that I like. I honestly don't watch that much TV. But there are bunch older TV show seasons that my family has so I can watch them when ever I want to.

But in answer to your question, I really don't think TV adds or takes anything away at all. It is hardly a big deal to me really. Except when one of my favorite shows that is on at 9:00 am on Sundays.

Upvote 0

lvmangione

Aug 23, 2012
✟15,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I watch TV with my mom to spend family time together because we don't always have money to go out and do things and we don't have long periods of time always to play a boardgame or such. We have fun discussing the show together (especially singing shows). I don't see a problem with it. I rarely ever watch it on my own though

Upvote 0

xxxxxxtra

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
✟603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I gave my television away 4 years ago when packing to move. I still don't have a television. I spend all of my free time either reading or out in nature. My mind is clear. I just feel alot better for it. I stop by some christian friends homes to say hi, and the stuff they are watching. Then they ask me how they can have a better relationship with tbe Lord, or with eachother.. But they won't turn that box off. There is no way God wants us to be so absorbed with so much violence and sexual immorality and drama.. Sign of the times..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amandatea

Legalist extraordinaire :s
May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I haven't watched tv for years, since before I even became a Christian. I spent a lot of years learning about all the things in society that we have/do that seem normal or essential that really are not.

Stopping tv mostly happened because one house I lived at for a while made it just about impossible to have satellite tv hooked up because of their regulations. I didn't have a signal for a year or so due to that. I realized that I could survive without watching tv (an idea that myself and most North Americans probably scoffed at, growing up). I also realized I saved quite a bit of money and had more time for other things too.

I had a dream once (this was at least a decade ago), where my brother and I were walking into this cave, which had been made into some weird underground museum/convention centre type of place. In the cave there were displays talking about anti-mainstream ideals find one of the displays said something about how you can't fight a battle (I was starting to get into the truth movement - Alex Jones and junk like that - at the time) if you're always sitting around watching tv. I don't know if that was, perhaps, a dream from God or not but it got my attention and it has always stayed with me.

I have done some research on television about how it's used as brainwashing tool and that has all but killed my desire to have anything to do with it.
Now I'll watch a few educational shows on YouTube once in a while or download shows sometimes but I usually feel like I'm wasting time so I don't like doing that too much either. I feel like I have a lot of Bible study to catch up on now that I'm a Christian and I don't have time to waste on selfish things like tv.

Upvote 0

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟9,418.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with I think everyone so far.

To be blunt, I used to be addicted to video games. I used them as an escape from reality and the problems I faced in life. A temporary escape, at that.

I finally decided to let go of video games because the weren't helping me and were planting some violent images in my mind. And they took up SO much time, it was really ridiculous.

TV I only watched as kid like Looney Toons, Rugrats, etc. That stuff isn't really an issue for most people. Most TV is just crap in my opinion. There are two shows I've gotten into, Breaking Bad and The Waking Dead, which are really more like movies broken up into little chunks. But they're only on once a week, and I just watch them sporadically when I have time (I highly reccomend them by the way).

Another thing is music. I've been listening to a TON of Queen this past months. And I'm not sure that's really a good thing...considering putting them away for awhile and listening to Christian music.

Upvote 0

amandatea

Legalist extraordinaire :s
May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I agree with I think everyone so far.

To be blunt, I used to be addicted to video games. I used them as an escape from reality and the problems I faced in life. A temporary escape, at that.

I finally decided to let go of video games because the weren't helping me and were planting some violent images in my mind. And they took up SO much time, it was really ridiculous.

TV I only watched as kid like Looney Toons, Rugrats, etc. That stuff isn't really an issue for most people. Most TV is just crap in my opinion. There are two shows I've gotten into, Breaking Bad and The Waking Dead, which are really more like movies broken up into little chunks. But they're only on once a week, and I just watch them sporadically when I have time (I highly reccomend them by the way).

Another thing is music. I've been listening to a TON of Queen this past months. And I'm not sure that's really a good thing...considering putting them away for awhile and listening to Christian music.

Yeah, I think most TV is garbage and a huge waste of time. There are a few decent shows here and there, but most of those can be found on YouTube. The biggest thing I hate about TV is commercials. I despise them and they actually anger me. I guess I just hate marketing (when I noticed there were more and more ads on YouTube, it started to really get to me). The shows I download, I usually forget about for a few months at a time and then watch an entire season in a couple of days: then I don't care about them for a few more months.

I used to be a huge music addict. I had probably a good 200gb of music on my computer at any given time and I was obsessed with Pink Floyd for many years. I think my top bands were Floyd, Queen, Zeppelin (I had more favorites but, honestly, I can't even remember anymore). I was always looking for a new awesome band. But when I became a Christian, I no longer enjoyed any of that stuff. I gave away all my rock CDs a coulple of months ago. This isn't to say that anyone who listens to that stuff is evil or wrong, but I personally got nothing out of it. All I listen to anymore is "Classical" and Hymns and worship music. Those are the only kinds that do anything for my soul anymore.

Upvote 0

Treasurer

May 31, 2005
At home.
✟17,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are pro's and con's to everything in this world. I guess that is why they called it the "tree of knowledge of good and evil."

What I feel is that television, movies, ect. have numbed us and our children to sin. Much of it becomes acceptable nowadays. Just look at our churches. How many divorces, unwed mothers, girls living with guys before marriage or visa versa, so on and so forth.

We must check ourselves. See what kind of fruit we are producing in our own lives, so we can change if we need to.

Upvote 0