Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Atheists often claim that since there's no proof that the soul survives mortal death, then there must not be an afterlife. However, if God is all-powerful and has an infinite memory, there's nothing stopping Him from resurrecting our mortal souls after natural death. In fact, that's what the Bible promises.

It's Platonic philosophy which introduced to Christian theology the natural immortality of the soul. When Lazarus was dead for three days, we can presume that he was unconscious, especially since Jesus himself referred to the dead Lazarus as asleep. (John:11:11-14)

Christian mortalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if all the scientific evidence showed that human consciousness ends with mortal death, there would still be the hope for an afterlife. In Christian belief, the prospect of heaven was always supposed to be a matter of faith and hope, not scientific certainty.

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. But a lot of people are going to come in and say you're wrong and demand that you prove it, though.

From a scientific perspective, the burden of proof is on the person who claims that consciousness naturally survives mortal death. It just happens to helpful to the belief in conditional immortality that the Bible suggests it in both the Old and New Testaments.

It's important to remember that the individual believer would experience the vast time between death and resurrection as only a brief moment, like it never happened at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cerad

Zebra Fan
Dec 2, 2004
✟10,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Atheists often claim that since there's no proof that the soul survives mortal death, then there must not be an afterlife. However, if God is all-powerful and has an infinite memory, there's nothing stopping Him from resurrecting our mortal souls after natural death. In fact, that's what the Bible promises.
Likewise, a future race of humans (or aliens) could use a time viewer to monitor every detail of a person's life and then recreate it. Santa Claus could tap into this feed for his naughty or nice list. Better turn out the lights, you are being watched.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist
Atheists often claim that since there's no proof that the soul survives mortal death, then there must not be an afterlife.

Not quite. Atheists often claim that there's no evidence that a soul exists at all, let alone survives death.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's Platonic philosophy which introduced to Christian theology the natural immortality of the soul. When Lazarus was dead for three days, we can presume that he was unconscious, especially since Jesus himself referred to the dead Lazarus as asleep. (John:11:11-14)

Even if all the scientific evidence showed that human consciousness ends with mortal death, there would still be the hope for an afterlife. In Christian belief, the prospect of heaven was always supposed to be a matter of faith and hope, not scientific certainty.

What is a soul?

What is your evidence a soul exists?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not quite. Atheists often claim that there's no evidence that a soul exists at all, let alone survives death.

For the sake of this thread, the soul is what makes human consciousness distinct from our animal ancestors. You don't have to call it a soul. You can also call it the mind, the personality, etc. The point is that even if human consciousness expires at mortal death, there's still the possibility of resurrection.

Upvote 0

JustMeSee

Contributor
Feb 9, 2008
In my living room.
✟23,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
For the sake of this thread, the soul is what makes human consciousness distinct from our animal ancestors. You don't have to call it a soul. You can also call it the mind, the personality, etc. The point is that even if human consciousness expires at mortal death, there's still the possibility of resurrection.

What happens to the soul when people suffer from dementia or Alzheimer's (sp.) Disease?

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What happens to the soul when people suffer from dementia or Alzheimer's (sp.) Disease?

That's a good question. If we will be resurrected on the last day, then people with dementia and Alzheimer's will be restored to their right mind in their new bodies. I don't know what kind of bodies they will be, whether physical, spiritual, or something in between. But what I do know is that if God exists, He has the infinite memory and the power to restore life to all who've deceased.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went through a phase relatively recently when I watched videos of psychic mediums giving cold readings and read accounts of near death experiences in order to somehow find assurance of the afterlife. Now I see that psychic mediums have the strong possibility of being deceivers, whether that deception is conscious or unconscious, willful or unwillful. Some people are honestly self-deceived and self-deluded.

When it comes to near death experiences, they are often so different and divergent depending on the individual's religious beliefs that it's often impossible to use them as anything more than personal anecdotes, not proof of the afterlife.

If science and common sense told me that the human mind expires at mortal death, then I will trust in the power of God to resurrect it. If God had the power to restore Jesus back from the dead, He has the power to do the same for us, if we only trust Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

And now we do the two step backpaddle:

How is human conciousness distinct from animals? And how would you prove the difference?

Sure, humans can think things that animals can't. Birds can navigate using the magnetic field of the earth. Does that mean they have bird souls that allow them to feel magnetism?

Also, which conciousness is the real conciousness? The one I'm having right now? The one I have when I die? The one I have when I form my first coherent thought? I'm certain that I am a different human than when I was 5 years old, and I hope I will be different from now in a few decades.

Or are these all seperate souls of their own right? Will there be a "me" for every year of my life, in the afterlife? For every month? Day? Minute? Millisecond?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
And now we do the two step backpaddle:

How is human conciousness distinct from animals? And how would you prove the difference?

Sure, humans can think things that animals can't. Birds can navigate using the magnetic field of the earth. Does that mean they have bird souls that allow them to feel magnetism?

Also, which conciousness is the real conciousness? The one I'm having right now? The one I have when I die? The one I have when I form my first coherent thought? I'm certain that I am a different human than when I was 5 years old, and I hope I will be different from now in a few decades.

Or are these all seperate souls of their own right? Will there be a "me" for every year of my life, in the afterlife? For every month? Day? Minute? Millisecond?
Also, will I have multiple souls matching the memories of different people from my life? My (deceased) grand parents will remember me differently to my parents, who will remember me differently to my children, who will remember me differently to my current friends, who will remember me differently to my friends from university etc etc etc

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, will I have multiple souls matching the memories of different people from my life?

No, that is an absurd and frivolous question. We will be restored to life by the infinite and perfect memory of God, as has been stated several times in this thread.

Upvote 0