Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You are completely conflating entirely different issues.

I didn't say anything indicating "the Bible... [is] only 'idiom' when it supports the opposite view?"

That sentence makes no sense.
Do you even know what an 'idiom' is?

Again, I don't think you understand what an 'idiom' is.

'Eternal life' is a phrase. It is a figure of speech that means more than the sum meaning of the words making it up.

"Lake of Fire"
"Son of Man"

These are all figures of speech. Idioms.

Lake of Fire is a word-picture of the place of eternal punishment for hell.
Not a literal lake of fire.

Son of man is a figure of speech based on the passage in Daniel where it talks about the great 'one who looked like a son of man...'.

The phrase also simply means 'human'.

English itself has tons of idioms and figures of speech.
Hebrew did as well.
The Jews imported those into Greek.

'Son of' is also a frequent Hebrew figure of speech referring to one who is the quintessential example of said thing.

'Son of Perdition' = One who encompasses what it means to have perdition.

'Son of Thunder' = One who is the embodiment of roaring and power.

'Son of Hell' = Embodiment of evil. Similar to the English figure of speech: Evil Incarnate.

'Father of' is another figure of speech.

'Father of Eternity' = Ruler and creator of all time.

And so on.

Context gives clues indicating these figures of speech. As does historical study.

I am well aware of the meaning of the word idiom, but thanks for the English lesson. :)

I would still contend that, whilst it may be an idiom and include a greater meaning, 'eternal life' still means exactly and literally that, life which continues through eternity, as opposed to life without Christ, which is terminated after judgement by 'the second death'.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Criada

Blessings to U

Sister....Where else in the Gospels does Jesus tell a parable or a not true story using Real Names of people? Not once but 3 times He names them.

Sadly it is a very real true story which i fear greatly (The fear of the Lord is the begining of wisdom)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
'Dives' means 'rich man' and Lazarus means 'he whom God helps'... so these are not really specific names, but titles Jesus uses.

The story is generally believed to be a parable, since the sequence of events after death, if taken literally, contradicts the rest of scripture. Lazarus is shown to have immediately received the promise of eternal life, dying and going straight to 'Abraham's bosom'. Yet the author of Hebrews clearly tells us that Abraham, as well as all the other Old Testament saints, have not yet received the promises given to them by God.

HEBREWS 11:13 All these [Abraham, Noah, Abel, etc.] died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. . . . 39 And all these [including Abraham], having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised, 40 because God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us they would not be made perfect. (NASB)

So, Abraham is sleeping, awaiting the resurrection which will occur when Christ returns. Lazarus in this story has died, before the crucifiction, and therefore cannot yet be saved and have inherited eternal life.
In the passage here, Jesus tells 5 stories, of which the other 4 are parables (the lost coin, the lost sheep, the prodigal son, and the shrewd manager). It seems odd that He would throw in a true story without making a distinction....

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I love you to much to argue as we both know arguments never win any thing.
Blessings

I was thinking of it more as a discussion than an argument. :hug:
Ultimately, God knows the full truth, and we will one day... until then I am very aware I could be wrong about very many things.
God bless you too, brother:hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you all make of these verses?

Psalm 5:4-5
4 For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness,
Nor shall evil dwell with You.
5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.

Psalm 11:5
5 The LORD tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.

Proverbs 6
16 These six things the LORD hates,
Yes, seven are an abomination to Him:
17 A proud look,
A lying tongue,
Hands that shed innocent blood,
18 A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that are swift in running to evil,
19 A false witness who speaks lies,
And one who sows discord among brethren.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Keep exploring the Bible verses that speak on God's holy-ness. Otherwise you may find yourself not taking Him seriously, which is a form of dis-respect, and He hates that.

God's holy-ness. It is what it is.

Reactions: Ariellamb
Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking of it more as a discussion than an argument. :hug:
Ultimately, God knows the full truth, and we will one day... until then I am very aware I could be wrong about very many things.
God bless you too, brother:hug:

I'm sure i too will find out that i didn't know what i thought i did.

Bless you

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟78,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Atlantians,

re: "The English word ‘hell’ is the term we use in English speaking society to refer to the place where ‘everlasting’ punishment and torment occurs."

I realize that that is generally the case with the majority of the religious and well as the non-religious. However, it simply is not scriptural. Just because folks believe something, doesn’t automatically make it so. You can’t find one instant where it is specifically written that anyone - with the possible exception of Satan, the beast and false prophet - is going to be made immortal and consigned to an eternity of conscious torment.

The Bible says that God is love. The word "is" is like an equal mark in a sentence. In the Biblical sentence: God = love. Not one person has had a choice whether to be born or not. The Bible says that God made everyone from "the dust of the ground." WHY WOULD GOD CREATE THE HUMAN RACE, LEAVE SATAN HERE TO DECEIVE THE WHOLE WORLD (Rev. 12:9), THEN PROCEED TO SEND PEOPLE INTO A FIRE THAT TORTURES FOREVER? Would God create the human race with this background to draw upon, then say I'm torturing you for eternity because I am love. This simply doesn’t make any sense.

I think this is getting to the point where we’ll just be going around in circles, so I think we’ll just have to leave it where you for some reason - even though there is no scripture that says so - want to believe that a God of love and mercy HAS to torture folks for eternity, whereas I don’t.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sigpic185773_3.gif

serenity1-1.jpg
Does God love a Christian who supports this, and will they go to Hell?

Found this logo on another thread as the sig of a so called Christian!

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
sigpic185773_3.gif

serenity1-1.jpg
Does God love a Christian who supports this, and will they go to Hell?

Found this logo on another thread as the sig of a so called Christian!

Yes, God does love them, and no, they probably won't go to hell... though that would depend on their relationship with God, which I'm in no position to judge.

Why wouldn't He love them?

Upvote 0