My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Than what about for instance a man who died before he heard of the Gospel (say a tribesman in the deep Amazon)?

According to Romans they will be Judged without the Law (Differently)
We on the other hand here in the west are without excuse as Jesus said 'It would be more tolerable for Sodom & Gomorrah than for' the ppl who rejected His works in His days.
Ppl today are heaping Judgements abounding upon them selves through their sinning,again as it says in Romans 'Treasuring up Wrath against the day of Wrath'
The Light we have is incredible,on Radio,Books,TV,Churches, etc.
Imagine collecting treasures which will condemn You!!

Upvote 0

Adoniram

Jan 15, 2004
Missouri
✟16,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If God did not love people who are on their way to hell, none of us would be the recipient of his mercy and grace.

Rom. 5
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Ezek. 18
23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord GOD, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?

Nevertheless, if they do not turn to Him, He is steadfast in His judgment of them.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Before they go there? I don't know, he does love them enough to give them an "out," which is believing on Christ Jesus. After their time is up and they go there? Unknown. What we do know is they inherit his wrath, eternally. Is there any love mixed in with that? I don't know. I would personally find it surprising if there were.

Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before they go there? I don't know, he does love them enough to give them an "out," which is believing on Christ Jesus. After their time is up and they go there? Unknown. What we do know is they inherit his wrath, eternally. Is there any love mixed in with that? I don't know. I would personally find it surprising if there were.

Not eternally. A loving God will not punish his created beings over the ceaseless ages of eternity. But he does love them. However, the wages of sin is death. If as humans we do not accept God's payment for our sins then we have to pay for out own sins. The payment is death. Jesus died for everyone, that means he loves everyone and wants the wicked to turn to him. But God will not force people to love him enough to accept him.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not eternally. A loving God will not punish his created beings over the ceaseless ages of eternity. But he does love them. However, the wages of sin is death. If as humans we do not accept God's payment for our sins then we have to pay for out own sins. The payment is death. Jesus died for everyone, that means he loves everyone and wants the wicked to turn to him. But God will not force people to love him enough to accept him.

As a diamond has many facets so does God

Love is one of them, as is Wrath,Judgement,Righteousness,Just & True in all His ways, are others.

Gos showed us love when we were yet sinners Christ died for us the just for the unjust,then Jesus tells us to Fear Him who after He has killed the body can also cast into hell(with a new eternal body) where the worm does not die and the fire is not quenched. That is to dreaded is it not.

In Love He came down from heaven to warn us of such a place.
Oh what Love that He should humble Himself and take on flesh(suffer and be tortured before a humitiating death) to warn us of Gods eternal purposes for sinners like us,so that we can act by faith in His sacrifice to escape such a place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟78,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ariellamb,

re: "The Necessity & Severity of Eternal Hell can never be understood by a mortal who has no comprehension of an Infinite God's view, as to the enormity of Sin."

So you’re saying that the supreme being views sin as so enormous that He has no choice in the fate of an unsaved persons future. The only thing He can do is to torture them in the lake of fire for eternity. There is no other possibility. He is powerless to do anything else. He HAS to give the mortal person immortality after they die in order that they can exist forever in constant misery. So why, if the Messiah took all of the sins of those who qualify for salvation - in fact even became sin itself -, not spending eternity in everlasting conscious torment? If He paid the price - the price being an eternity in conscious torment - why isn’t that His fate?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Than what about for instance a man who died before he heard of the Gospel (say a tribesman in the deep Amazon)?

It is written that even the heavens declare the glory of God. there is no excuse.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ariellamb,

re: "The Necessity & Severity of Eternal Hell can never be understood by a mortal who has no comprehension of an Infinite God's view, as to the enormity of Sin."

So you’re saying that the supreme being views sin as so enormous that He has no choice in the fate of an unsaved persons future. The only thing He can do is to torture them in the lake of fire for eternity. There is no other possibility. He is powerless to do anything else. He HAS to give the mortal person immortality after they die in order that they can exist forever in constant misery. So why, if the Messiah took all of the sins of those who qualify for salvation - in fact even became sin itself -, not spending eternity in everlasting conscious torment? If He paid the price - the price being an eternity in conscious torment - why isn’t that His fate?

Hi Rstrats

It isn't me saying any thing which isn't said already in Gods own Word,He determines what He does/decree's, not i.
I am just a voice repeating what He has already said.

Jesus never became sin as He could not,but offered Himself as the spotless sin offering,as in the OT type of the lamb without spot being the propitiation for sin.

A good read of Matthews gospel will soon get all of our theology righted as to eternal hell and Gods view on the matter.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only thing He can do is to torture them in the lake of fire for eternity.

God does not torture anyone. There isn't a single instance in scripture of the word torture being used in relation to hell. This line of argumentation is typically used by those that want to argue by appealing to emotion, a red herring fallacy.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God does not torture anyone. There isn't a single instance in scripture of the word torture being used in relation to hell. This line of argumentation is typically used by those that want to argue by appealing to emotion, a red herring fallacy.

Eerrm

Rev 14 v 9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name." 12This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.

Luke 16 22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

Mark 9 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where
" 'their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.' 49Everyone will be salted with fire.

Just 3 of many refs to pain and torment mentioned

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eerrm

Rev 14 v 9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: "If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name." 12This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus.

Luke 16 22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

Mark 9 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where
" 'their worm does not die,
and the fire is not quenched.' 49Everyone will be salted with fire.

Just 3 of many refs to pain and torment mentioned

Sure but it is self inflicted not inflicted by God. This teaching is clear in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16) where the rich man never questions why he is where he is but instead pleads to inform his brethren. The Greek word βασανίζω rendered in the passages that you quoted as torment is mainly used in scripture to reflect torment through circumstantial agencies where the person hold responsibility (Rev. 12:2, Matt. 13:24, Matt. 8:6, etc.) not where God is inflicting the torment.

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟21,953.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This depends on what you mean by Love.

God Loves the Elect in one manner. A salvific love.

But, in general love for His creation, humanity, He loves even those who He condemns to Hell by having given them common grace.

Lets realize that 'love', Biblically, is not an emotionally charged and emotionocentric verb like it is in modern English.

It is more actual action oriented.

It has vast emotional implications, but the term's emphasis is on the actions associated with it, not the feelings held by the one acting.

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God loves everyone, and has no desire for any to perish, nor does He torment anyone.
Revelation is a vision, a picture of what is to come, not a historically accurate account.
The Lake of fire burns eternally, there is no indication that what is thrown into it does so. And in Revelation, both Hell and Death are destroyed, so eternal torment in Hell would be hard to achieve.

Upvote 0

Joy

Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,404,422.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God did not love people who are on their way to hell, none of us would be the recipient of his mercy and grace.

Rom. 5
8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Ezek. 18
23 Do I have any pleasure at all that the wicked should die?” says the Lord GOD, “and not that he should turn from his ways and live?

Nevertheless, if they do not turn to Him, He is steadfast in His judgment of them.

I don't like the idea of Hell but it is real
i agree with what you write Adoniram. Today we focus on one aspect of God's attributes God's love but we forget God has other attributes to his Character such as holiness and justice and there is little attention paid to these aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

rstrats

Jun 27, 2002
✟78,275.00
Faith
Non-Denom
MollieSue,

re: "Today we focus on one aspect of God's attributes God's love but we forget God has other attributes to his Character such as holiness..."

Why does having a character of holiness require the supreme being to torture a person for eternity because during the person’s fleeting few years of life they didn’t satisfy certain requirements? Why is this necessary because for some reason the person didn’t or couldn’t meet those requirements and didn’t develop or have the potential to develop the right character needed to spend eternity with this supreme being?

Upvote 0