• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does God hold me accountable for my OCD thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunapearl

Aug 5, 2009
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have an answer for that! Often times I wonder if my ocd is real or if my diagnosis is legitimate. Maybe I'm just the most selfish person in the world and "ocd" is just the world's way of giving a new name to sin. But, when I'm thinking straight, I know I have ocd and I know that I always will.
Sometimes I do wonder whether God expects me to have better control of it, and if I don't have that control, is it sin? I'll be interested to see how others respond to this because I really don't know. Is the thought itself sin, or are behaviors we engage in after the thought sin??? It could be that none of it is sin since it's a condition we have. God knows who we are and what we are. He knows our struggles. He sent Jesus to pay for our sins! If it is sin Jesus already paid it all!

Upvote 0

trippe

Apr 21, 2009
✟7,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im not too sure either. I always feel condemed and i cant determine the line between temptation and sin. I do know that i question whether or not OCD is something legitimate as well or if it is like you said something made up to excuse sin and wrong behavior. I also know that i dont want to be like this. Its all very confusing. I wouldnt go by me though or what i say because i cant remember when i was truly happy ever or felt completely clean. I just pray that clarity and peace will eventually come.

Upvote 0

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus will never hold people accountable for ocd thoughts.
Would a parent get angry and punish a baby for stumbling while trying to walk,
or how about a child who stuttered,what would help the child most, fear of a spanking for something they cannot help or unconditional love.
Jesus knows that people hate the ocd disorder and want it gone.He knows about all our problems and here cares and has compassion.
Even is someone thought it was sin ,Jesus died for the sins of the whole world.
However a tormenting affliction is not sin.
keryakos and Johnnieguys posts are excellent.

Upvote 0

Jonteel

Dec 21, 2004
Visit site
✟11,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, when I was young I was OCD.

I believe our enemy is the originator of many of our dumb ideas. Like when you on on a cliff and are looking into the valley, that little voice that says, "Jump." is either an evil Angel, or Satan.

I wasn't an educated Christian, but I know that it was not me that suggested that God would kill my parents if I didn't arrange the books in the library.

Tip: Since I was not eating properly (when I had OCD) then perhaps you might want to eat a little more. I suggest every three or four hours. It takes time to adjust to a good diet. Don't give up. Once you get used to it, you may loose a lot of weight. I am (with God's help) writing a book on that.

Oh, when I was OCD, I was sticking to a strict high protien diet. I was a male (athlete) anorexic. I wanted the perfect body. When I became extremely depressed, I didn't care what I ate, and then (full of good food) my OCD vanished.

I also decided that God did not want to kill my parents.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.