Does being a Christian get any easier later in life?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So, I Just learned that my Father got into a car accident last night. He went grocery shopping late at night like he always does, stuck groceries in the front seat and hit a pole and totalled my mother's almost new car.

As far as we know he's okay, he completely fractured his sternum above his heart and they're checking him for heart damage as we speak and are probably going to be keeping him overnight to make sure he's 100% okay. My mother (Who's a nurse) thinks he suffered a concussion from the accident since, he made almost no sense when he called my mother to tell her what happened. I guess she originally thought he had a stroke since, my Father is a pretty heavy drinker. He apparently, wasn't driving drunk though my sister clarified that detail for me.

But, this disaster got me thinking a lot about how I'm not ready to say goodbye to my Father yet. For those who don't know, my Father and I... we didn't have a good history. He was very physically and verbally abusive to me for over 20 years. So much, that I barely even remember the Father that I had as a 5 year old child.

To make matters worse, my Father is an Atheist in almost all definitions of the word. He doesn't believe in Jesus at all, in fact he hates Christmas every year and claims "Why should we celebrate Christmas and Easter when Jesus doesn't exist?"

So, when I finally say goodbye to my Father, it might be for good if he doesn't change his ways and accept the LORD and Jesus Christ into his life. So, that detail is definitely hard to accept.

I mean, welcome to being a Christian and a majority of the world chooses not to be saved and It's my Father's choice to not accept Jesus ..etc. But, still a hard concept to learn how to accept. Does this get easier to accept the longer you live through life? I'm 30 years old at the moment, you'd think I'd learn to accept it by now.

That, a lot of the people around me I might not see ever again.
It's something all Christians go through obviously and have to go through. So, yeah I guess I just wanted to ask that.

Does it get easier as our life chapters begin to continue to unfold?

huk945

Evangelist.....So what's with all the drama ???
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Ohio, USA
✟25,087.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
My condolences my young friend. Sorry to hear what you're going through however I believe you are to be highly, highly commended for not being ready to say goodbye to your father yet. I know I would be more than ready myself. The answer to your question is twofold. This is something that you must just suck up and go through. And no it doesn't get any easier. However what does definitely get easier as our ability to accept the crosses that we must bear.

Upvote 0

jacksknight

Mar 16, 2016
USA
✟1,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think while it doesn't get easier in the sense that everything will be sunshine and lollypops. It does get easier in the sense that we understand what God is doing. That he is in control, not us. That he understands our worries and our faults, then loves us anyway.

Your Father's rejection of God is clearly an emotional one. I mean even the atheist high priest richard dawkins admits Jesus existed.

All you can do it pray....

Man i hate when people say that... They say that but this is what i hear.

All you can do is call on The Creator of the universe, The God that loved you so much that he came to earth and died for you. So keep praying, call on Jesus he will answer in his time. Message me if you want to chat, there is lots of evidence for God. Not everyone knows about it, but i will help you anyway i can.

God bless! Prayers on the way for you and your family!

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My condolences my young friend. Sorry to hear what you're going through however I believe you are to be highly, highly commended for not being ready to say goodbye to your father yet. I know I would be more than ready myself. The answer to your question is twofold. This is something that you must just suck up and go through. And no it doesn't get any easier. However what does definitely get easier as our ability to accept the crosses that we must bear.

You called me young, I don't feel young :p Like, at all. XD

Yeah, I know. I don't want to give up on him though. I don't want to give up on humanity, where many people would I want to keep fighting. I want to become a Reverend and am taking a theology class and I deeply study the bible every day so I can make that a reality. I just wish I had started sooner in life like, 14 years ago :p.

I constantly pray for my Dad, even though it might be of no use. But, I just don't want to give up on him. I want the rest of our time together to be happy and if I do have to say goodbye to him one day I want to at least be able to say "I enjoyed the little bit of time that I did get to spend with my dad."

I want to remember the good times with him, not the bad. Also, Editing my entire post because I noticed I used the word Father incorrectly.

I think while it doesn't get easier in the sense that everything will be sunshine and lollypops. It does get easier in the sense that we understand what God is doing. That he is in control, not us. That he understands our worries and our faults, then loves us anyway.

Your Father's rejection of God is clearly an emotional one. I mean even the atheist high priest richard dawkins admits Jesus existed.

All you can do it pray....

Man i hate when people say that... They say that but this is what i hear.

All you can do is call on The Creator of the universe, The God that loved you so much that he came to earth and died for you. So keep praying, call on Jesus he will answer in his time. Message me if you want to chat, there is lots of evidence for God. Not everyone knows about it, but i will help you anyway i can.

God bless! Prayers on the way for you and your family!

I was an Atheist for a while and even I believed in an Historical Jesus even though I had no faith at the time whatsoever in a God. Not too many people debate in at least, a historical Jesus. But, my Dad doesn't believe in any of it at all.

His religious views are really confusing actually. He admits that there might be a God, because how else could we exist. He agrees there's a higher power but, doesn't affiliate himself with ANY religious denomination at all. I don't think the man's ever been in a church his whole life. I don't think my Protestant Grandfather and my Catholic Grandmother really raised their kids in the faith. If they did, I Never was told about it.

Thanks though for your kind words. I'll eventually learn to accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhh712
Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,907.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that the focus should never be on how things can be easier. Instead, focus on how you will hopefully continue to grow in wisdom.

Wisdom says that you are salt and light to those who reject the Lord. This accident might just be the wake up call your father needs to reevaluate his beliefs. It may also be your golden opportunity to lead your father to the Lord.

Pray for wisdom, discernment, patience and understanding toward your father. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak through you so that He can use you as the means to bring your father to Himself. Be willing to surrender your own emotions to the leading of the Spirit, and pray without ceasing for both your own words, and the softening of your father's heart.

Regardless of the outcome, which is not in your hands, follow as the Lord leads.

Reactions: dhh712
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I constantly pray for my Dad, even though it might be of no use.
Every moment of prayer for him is priceless, even though you are not seeing the result you are praying to see. We are never going to know the things that didn't happen to us or another person.
___
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, 1984 NIV)

Living the Christian life is always a mix of good and bad, however, if you are fully devoted to the living person, the Lord Jesus Christ, and in spite of trial and tribulation, stay devoted to him, God will make you stronger and stronger, so that life will become more peaceful, joyful, and less troubling. If you are not that devoted, he will still protect and help you, but you won't be capable of receiving as much as he wants to give. (In the worst case, even your prayers won't save anyone other than yourself—Ezekiel 14. God's blessings are limited by our limitations—Malachi 3:10.)

If you make the Most High your dwelling—even the LORD, who is my refuge—then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. (bold mine, Psalms 91:9-10, 1984 NIV)

Over time, along with the strengthening, it gets easier to understand why things are the way they are (such as why you don't seem to be experiencing something God promised), and see Him more as he really is, and the result is that fewer things trouble you as much. Pain demands immediate help, but unfortunately we are such that it takes a lot of time for us to change. (It also takes a lot of time for a person's heart to change deeply for the worse.) Seeking to know God and his love for you more deeply and knowing him more clearly is our calling, and has many priceless rewards including in this life (e.g., Luke 10:30, Philippians 4:19, Galatians 5:22-23, and more peace and rest per the passages mentioned above).

By the way, we don't choose our limitations (Luke 12:48). Don't be self-condemning at all for not meeting your image of expectations for Godly behavior. God loves you perfectly just as he made you.

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3:2, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Prayers are always answered even though we may not see the results straight away but its through adversity and trials and tribulations that our faith is tested and refined.

Long suffering, or patience is a fruit of the holy spirit, so yes, a christian who hasnt been through any kind of trial is unheard of, cos thats how people know we are christians, when people see we are faithful no matter what satan throws at us.

Without faith, it is impossible to please God.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm so sorry about your father's accident.

Now about the other matter...Frankly, I don't know which is harder having an unsaved loved one or having a loved one who claims to be saved, who preaches and then once he be away from church, he be involved in criminal activity, shacking up with his lady friend an a carrying on like the world...he say they ain't doing nothing wrong.
These are hard things for the family to deal with because we love an care about our loved one's soul conditional etc.
It is something we pray about an try our best to present them with godly behavior and Jesus' love when we are around them. My mom has witnessed to both of those relatives and the rest of us just lean on the Lord an be trusting him to do a major work on their hearts.

In the bible we find that Jesus experienced this within his own family, his siblings didn't believe in him...John 7:5, Matthew 13:57, Mark 3:21
Not one of Jesus’ brothers is mentioned as a disciple during his pre-crucifixion ministry. But after his resurrection and ascension, there they are in the upper room in fellowship...Acts 1:1-14.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think living with a hypocrite could be harder than living with somone is unsaved thats just my two cents though.

Saying goodbye to loved ones is hard but if theres things you cant say out loud you can always write a letter. Even if they dont read it God sees your faith.

One of my friends whos dad passed away last year said she didnt know if he was saved for sure but her brother did chat with him about the Lord. She had asked us previosuly to pray for his salvation. They grew up in church but her dad was not especially interested and never discussed it. Some men arent expressive at all about their faith so it could be easy to say they dont have any. But Jesus said we could have faith the size of a mustard seed. Unless they outright refused to repent and believe theres always hope.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It isn't an easy road always....the narrow path of virtue and righteous ness that leads to life rather then the broad road that many take that leads to destruction. JOB was an example, LOT was an example, but we stand steadfast and endure through it as we follow JESUS CHRIST the son of GOD the heavenly father and we know also by example to further add report; the persecution JESUS went through.

As i always admit that...if you are a true believer and a flock member of the congregation of CHRIST you will be persecuted. As we come closer to GOD we separate ourselves from satan and renounce the rebuked one; and thus he attempts to re-ensnare us or at least in my understanding tries to blind us and keep us captive.

Many passages in the scripture define that we may have to leave home, family and so called friends for the glory of GOD, and following JESUS CHRIST does not guarantee freedom from all heartache. It does however amplify....fighting the good fight, having unshakable faith and a stout righteous belief with....

1 Corinthians 13King James Version (KJV)
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity(love), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity(love), I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity(love), these three; but the greatest of these is charity(love).

Concern and care for others is an example by which the spirit is working in us and through us. Yet at times when helping others the response isn't always what we want and they don't adhere to it; which sometimes can lead to a disheartening scenario. I would pray for your dad to repent and discernment to see how/why he is blind, then ask for either the wisdom to help him or the strength to detach from him. It is also noted that we as believers should not yoke ourselves to unbelievers. So must be careful and wary as we approach situation that may bring more issues....praying and giving thanks first to GOD the heavenly father through his son JESUS for answers is the priority.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sorry that I can't advise on the here and now. I am trying not to think of the fate of my recently deceased partner who wasn't in the faith.

What I blank that out with though is the fact that the Lord in the gospels says we don't need to worry. Also I know that when in Heaven myself, surrounded by God's Love and glory the fate of my loved ones, from my life here on Earth, in all probabilty won't hurt so much as one would when all is revealed.

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You called me young, I don't feel young :p Like, at all. XD

Yeah, I know. I don't want to give up on him though. I don't want to give up on humanity, where many people would I want to keep fighting. I want to become a Reverend and am taking a theology class and I deeply study the bible every day so I can make that a reality. I just wish I had started sooner in life like, 14 years ago :p.

I constantly pray for my Dad, even though it might be of no use. But, I just don't want to give up on him. I want the rest of our time together to be happy and if I do have to say goodbye to him one day I want to at least be able to say "I enjoyed the little bit of time that I did get to spend with my dad."

I want to remember the good times with him, not the bad. Also, Editing my entire post because I noticed I used the word Father incorrectly.

I was an Atheist for a while and even I believed in an Historical Jesus even though I had no faith at the time whatsoever in a God. Not too many people debate in at least, a historical Jesus. But, my Dad doesn't believe in any of it at all.

His religious views are really confusing actually. He admits that there might be a God, because how else could we exist. He agrees there's a higher power but, doesn't affiliate himself with ANY religious denomination at all. I don't think the man's ever been in a church his whole life. I don't think my Protestant Grandfather and my Catholic Grandmother really raised their kids in the faith. If they did, I Never was told about it.

Thanks though for your kind words. I'll eventually learn to accept it.

It didn't get any easier for me, but I've only been a Christian for a little over three years, so not at the point where I can give advice on that. My mother's beliefs sound somewhat similar to your father's beliefs; she does not believe that the Bible is the word of God, she believes it was written by men and can't be trusted. It really kills me to think about people like her and my former partner who are really good people (by society's standards, of course) being outside of Christ at death; it makes me wish that what is taught in the Bible isn't true, and then of course I feel guilty thinking like that, like God's way is the wrong way or something.

I just pray every day, wishing some miracle would occur so that they will call upon Jesus as their Saviour. It will truly be a remarkable work completely of God, which makes me think how glorifying to God that would be if it were to happen. These people are so fixed in their hardness of heart against Jesus (especially my brother too), that for them to change their mindsets and call upon Jesus would be miraculous in a very obvious way.

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Dad will be in a lot of pain over the next several days But, the hospital finally released him at 8:00 last night. I don't know if he suffered heart damage or not, my sister never answered my Facebook message and I didn't want to call my mother as my mother was probably more than likely sleeping, she had to go to work on like an hours worth of sleep last night and then was with Dad all the rest of the night until he came home.

I think that the focus should never be on how things can be easier. Instead, focus on how you will hopefully continue to grow in wisdom.

Wisdom says that you are salt and light to those who reject the Lord. This accident might just be the wake up call your father needs to reevaluate his beliefs. It may also be your golden opportunity to lead your father to the Lord.

Pray for wisdom, discernment, patience and understanding toward your father. Ask the Holy Spirit to speak through you so that He can use you as the means to bring your father to Himself. Be willing to surrender your own emotions to the leading of the Spirit, and pray without ceasing for both your own words, and the softening of your father's heart.

Regardless of the outcome, which is not in your hands, follow as the Lord leads.

He was in the hospital one time for breaking his ribs and a man who was slightly younger than him passed away in the room next door to him. It was kind of a random death and the hospital didn't think the mans life was in any way,shape, or form in danger. So it hit my Dad hard that life was short.

My Dad, also almost passed away that day. He had been given blood pressure medication by one of the doctors and the nurse on duty that day was busy doing other things and I noticed on the monitor that my Dad's blood pressure was rather low (I think something like 80/40 or something around there this happened almost 7 years ago so It's difficult to remember) anyway, I asked my mother if it was real or if the monitor was broken and my mothers face fell and she ran to get the nurse. The nurse got the doctor and the doctor gave him medicine to reverse the effects of the other medicine and saved my Dad's life. But, had I not noticed anything the doctor said my Dad would have died. But, it wasn't the doctors fault he gave my Dad a starter dose of medication. It's just that my Dad is extra sensitive to Blood Pressure medication.

Anyway, it only lasted like a week but it got my Dad extra careful about his health for a while. So, maybe you're right and this will be a wake up call to my Dad but, I honestly doubt it. Once my Dad is set on a set of beliefs, he usually sticks to it.

Every moment of prayer for him is priceless, even though you are not seeing the result you are praying to see. We are never going to know the things that didn't happen to us or another person.
___
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, 1984 NIV)

Living the Christian life is always a mix of good and bad, however, if you are fully devoted to the living person, the Lord Jesus Christ, and in spite of trial and tribulation, stay devoted to him, God will make you stronger and stronger, so that life will become more peaceful, joyful, and less troubling. If you are not that devoted, he will still protect and help you, but you won't be capable of receiving as much as he wants to give. (In the worst case, even your prayers won't save anyone other than yourself—Ezekiel 14. God's blessings are limited by our limitations—Malachi 3:10.)

If you make the Most High your dwelling—even the LORD, who is my refuge—then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. (bold mine, Psalms 91:9-10, 1984 NIV)

Over time, along with the strengthening, it gets easier to understand why things are the way they are (such as why you don't seem to be experiencing something God promised), and see Him more as he really is, and the result is that fewer things trouble you as much. Pain demands immediate help, but unfortunately we are such that it takes a lot of time for us to change. (It also takes a lot of time for a person's heart to change deeply for the worse.) Seeking to know God and his love for you more deeply and knowing him more clearly is our calling, and has many priceless rewards including in this life (e.g., Luke 10:30, Philippians 4:19, Galatians 5:22-23, and more peace and rest per the passages mentioned above).

By the way, we don't choose our limitations (Luke 12:48). Don't be self-condemning at all for not meeting your image of expectations for Godly behavior. God loves you perfectly just as he made you.

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. (Colossians 3:2, 1984 NIV)

Thanks, that made me feel better. I will continue to pray for my Dad.

Prayers are always answered even though we may not see the results straight away but its through adversity and trials and tribulations that our faith is tested and refined.

Long suffering, or patience is a fruit of the holy spirit, so yes, a christian who hasnt been through any kind of trial is unheard of, cos thats how people know we are christians, when people see we are faithful no matter what satan throws at us.

Without faith, it is impossible to please God.

That's very true. I have been through a lot of trials throughout my life But, those trials are what have renewed my Faith to the LORD. If it weren't for those trials I never would have went back.

I'm so sorry about your father's accident.

Now about the other matter...Frankly, I don't know which is harder having an unsaved loved one or having a loved one who claims to be saved, who preaches and then once he be away from church, he be involved in criminal activity, shacking up with his lady friend an a carrying on like the world...he say they ain't doing nothing wrong.
These are hard things for the family to deal with because we love an care about our loved one's soul conditional etc.
It is something we pray about an try our best to present them with godly behavior and Jesus' love when we are around them. My mom has witnessed to both of those relatives and the rest of us just lean on the Lord an be trusting him to do a major work on their hearts.

In the bible we find that Jesus experienced this within his own family, his siblings didn't believe in him...John 7:5, Matthew 13:57, Mark 3:21
Not one of Jesus’ brothers is mentioned as a disciple during his pre-crucifixion ministry. But after his resurrection and ascension, there they are in the upper room in fellowship...Acts 1:1-14.

I think I can somewhat understand the Hypocritical Christian. My mother is a Catholic (as was a majority of my mother's Family over the last couple centuries) and she raised my Catholic and my Dad comes from a long line of Protestants.

It's not quite the same But, I don't really believe in my mother's religious beliefs or the beliefs of many of her family members.

I don't like her Pastor at all, he's always encouraging people to sin and to ignore Fundamentalism (And I've thought Fundamentalism as the "right" religion ever since I was a kid pretty much). Just about the only belief of her Pastor that I ever really agreed with was that, he refused to marry homosexuals. But his views on homosexuals were also welcoming and, I don't know he made me extremely uncomfortable. He was the kind of Pastor who knew everyone in his Church by name But, the minute you need him for something he'd more than likely completely ignore you.

We also had a neighbor who is pretty big in his Fundamentalist beliefs. He's been studying the bible closely since he was a little boy. And a majority of people don't like him because he throws his religious views in people's faces, and because he's a "Know it all" in the Bible department. Oh, and because he played the active Christian role with his Wife and wouldn't let her work and forced her to be a stay at home mom all day.

In other words, he's the kind of Christian I like, believe in, and I want to become. Except there's one "problem" to him. He preaches all of that stuff yet, he was in a sexual affair while married to another woman. And the woman he was sleeping with was married too. They were seeing each other for a long, long time. Long enough that his wife divorced him.

But, he's no longer seeing that woman and if he really is the Fundamentalist Christian that he portrays to be, he would have repented for what he did. And, I like giving him the BOTD that he did in fact, repent for what he did. So, we're supposed to forgive him for that sexual affair and he would walk in the way of the LORD again.

And, I don't think my mother would ever approve of my religious beliefs due to this neighbor. I'm afraid to even tell her my beliefs because, I might not be her Son anymore if I did.

I think living with a hypocrite could be harder than living with somone is unsaved thats just my two cents though.

Saying goodbye to loved ones is hard but if theres things you cant say out loud you can always write a letter. Even if they dont read it God sees your faith.

One of my friends whos dad passed away last year said she didnt know if he was saved for sure but her brother did chat with him about the Lord. She had asked us previosuly to pray for his salvation. They grew up in church but her dad was not especially interested and never discussed it. Some men arent expressive at all about their faith so it could be easy to say they dont have any. But Jesus said we could have faith the size of a mustard seed. Unless they outright refused to repent and believe theres always hope.

Oh, I don't live with my Dad. I haven't lived with my Dad in Four years and I'm happily married now and long away from his abusive behavior. That's one reason why we get along now.

Dad knows about my religious beliefs and he knew about my Atheism years ago (And supported me being an Atheist which is a large reason why I kept the belief for so long. I wanted to identify with my Dad on something and wanted praise from my Dad).

My Dad knows that I'm starting to become a Fundie and that he's mostly all alone in the Family. My sister's religious beliefs aren't too strong but, They're there. As for her Husband I have no idea I'm not close to him at all But, my two nieces are both happy Church goers at the moment (One's 10 and One's 5 or 6)

My mother is Catholic, Her mother is Catholic and her dad was Catholic up until he passed. My Dad's Dad is Protestant and his mom's Catholic. And he has two Protestant sisters. And then there's my wife and I who're probably the strongest believers out of the whole family. We're definitely the only Fundamentalists in the Family.

So yeah, he's surrounded and probably feels as isolated as I do. Maybe, he'll start changing his beliefs due to his isolation But, I don't know.

It isn't an easy road always....the narrow path of virtue and righteous ness that leads to life rather then the broad road that many take that leads to destruction. JOB was an example, LOT was an example, but we stand steadfast and endure through it as we follow JESUS CHRIST the son of GOD the heavenly father and we know also by example to further add report; the persecution JESUS went through.

As i always admit that...if you are a true believer and a flock member of the congregation of CHRIST you will be persecuted. As we come closer to GOD we separate ourselves from satan and renounce the rebuked one; and thus he attempts to re-ensnare us or at least in my understanding tries to blind us and keep us captive.

Many passages in the scripture define that we may have to leave home, family and so called friends for the glory of GOD, and following JESUS CHRIST does not guarantee freedom from all heartache. It does however amplify....fighting the good fight, having unshakable faith and a stout righteous belief with....

1 Corinthians 13King James Version (KJV)
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity(love), I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity(love), I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity(love), these three; but the greatest of these is charity(love).

Concern and care for others is an example by which the spirit is working in us and through us. Yet at times when helping others the response isn't always what we want and they don't adhere to it; which sometimes can lead to a disheartening scenario. I would pray for your dad to repent and discernment to see how/why he is blind, then ask for either the wisdom to help him or the strength to detach from him. It is also noted that we as believers should not yoke ourselves to unbelievers. So must be careful and wary as we approach situation that may bring more issues....praying and giving thanks first to GOD the heavenly father through his son JESUS for answers is the priority.

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Amen. Don't know what to say past that :p. Thanks!

I am sorry that I can't advise on the here and now. I am trying not to think of the fate of my recently deceased partner who wasn't in the faith.

What I blank that out with though is the fact that the Lord in the gospels says we don't need to worry. Also I know that when in Heaven myself, surrounded by God's Love and glory the fate of my loved ones, from my life here on Earth, in all probabilty won't hurt so much as one would when all is revealed.

I'm sorry for your loss that must be so hard for you. They are in my prayers.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
you stand at a crossroads in your faith walk; what you decide about God right now will influence your relationship with Him for the future.

God loves your father more than you do; He gave His only Son for him, and so the first thing you have to latch onto is that you don't need to plead with God to save anyone; He's more motivated to save than any of us are. but God must work through people who believe Him; remember that in order to be saved, someone must hear the gospel:

Rom 10:13-17 KJV
(13) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
(14) How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
(15) And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
(16) But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
(17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

before the gospel can be preached, it must be understood - and many traditional churches are teaching only a portion of the gospel of the Bible: missing hell. find out what the gospel really is directly from God's word; this will help:

http://www.awmi.net/audio/audio-teachings/#/awm_1014aa_gospelI.mp3

then offer yourself to God as a preacher - trust Him to put the words in your mouth that need to be said and step out in faith to preach the gospel to your father; once heard, the gospel can be received by him even in the last half-second of life - so never dwell on the possibility that a loved one went to hell; have faith in God that He got through to them in time, no matter what your 5 senses might tell you

God has faith in you; that's why He chose you - always agree with Him about that!

Reactions: Neostarwcc
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Dad will be in a lot of pain over the next several days But, the hospital finally released him at 8:00 last night. I don't know if he suffered heart damage or not, my sister never answered my Facebook message and I didn't want to call my mother as my mother was probably more than likely sleeping, she had to go to work on like an hours worth of sleep last night and then was with Dad all the rest of the night until he came home.

He was in the hospital one time for breaking his ribs and a man who was slightly younger than him passed away in the room next door to him. It was kind of a random death and the hospital didn't think the mans life was in any way,shape, or form in danger. So it hit my Dad hard that life was short.

My Dad, also almost passed away that day. He had been given blood pressure medication by one of the doctors and the nurse on duty that day was busy doing other things and I noticed on the monitor that my Dad's blood pressure was rather low (I think something like 80/40 or something around there this happened almost 7 years ago so It's difficult to remember) anyway, I asked my mother if it was real or if the monitor was broken and my mothers face fell and she ran to get the nurse. The nurse got the doctor and the doctor gave him medicine to reverse the effects of the other medicine and saved my Dad's life. But, had I not noticed anything the doctor said my Dad would have died. But, it wasn't the doctors fault he gave my Dad a starter dose of medication. It's just that my Dad is extra sensitive to Blood Pressure medication.

Anyway, it only lasted like a week but it got my Dad extra careful about his health for a while. So, maybe you're right and this will be a wake up call to my Dad but, I honestly doubt it. Once my Dad is set on a set of beliefs, he usually sticks to it.

Thanks, that made me feel better. I will continue to pray for my Dad.

That's very true. I have been through a lot of trials throughout my life But, those trials are what have renewed my Faith to the LORD. If it weren't for those trials I never would have went back.

I think I can somewhat understand the Hypocritical Christian. My mother is a Catholic (as was a majority of my mother's Family over the last couple centuries) and she raised my Catholic and my Dad comes from a long line of Protestants.

It's not quite the same But, I don't really believe in my mother's religious beliefs or the beliefs of many of her family members.

I don't like her Pastor at all, he's always encouraging people to sin and to ignore Fundamentalism (And I've thought Fundamentalism as the "right" religion ever since I was a kid pretty much). Just about the only belief of her Pastor that I ever really agreed with was that, he refused to marry homosexuals. But his views on homosexuals were also welcoming and, I don't know he made me extremely uncomfortable. He was the kind of Pastor who knew everyone in his Church by name But, the minute you need him for something he'd more than likely completely ignore you.

We also had a neighbor who is pretty big in his Fundamentalist beliefs. He's been studying the bible closely since he was a little boy. And a majority of people don't like him because he throws his religious views in people's faces, and because he's a "Know it all" in the Bible department. Oh, and because he played the active Christian role with his Wife and wouldn't let her work and forced her to be a stay at home mom all day.

In other words, he's the kind of Christian I like, believe in, and I want to become. Except there's one "problem" to him. He preaches all of that stuff yet, he was in a sexual affair while married to another woman. And the woman he was sleeping with was married too. They were seeing each other for a long, long time. Long enough that his wife divorced him.

But, he's no longer seeing that woman and if he really is the Fundamentalist Christian that he portrays to be, he would have repented for what he did. And, I like giving him the BOTD that he did in fact, repent for what he did. So, we're supposed to forgive him for that sexual affair and he would walk in the way of the LORD again.

And, I don't think my mother would ever approve of my religious beliefs due to this neighbor. I'm afraid to even tell her my beliefs because, I might not be her Son anymore if I did.

Oh, I don't live with my Dad. I haven't lived with my Dad in Four years and I'm happily married now and long away from his abusive behavior. That's one reason why we get along now.

Dad knows about my religious beliefs and he knew about my Atheism years ago (And supported me being an Atheist which is a large reason why I kept the belief for so long. I wanted to identify with my Dad on something and wanted praise from my Dad).

My Dad knows that I'm starting to become a Fundie and that he's mostly all alone in the Family. My sister's religious beliefs aren't too strong but, They're there. As for her Husband I have no idea I'm not close to him at all But, my two nieces are both happy Church goers at the moment (One's 10 and One's 5 or 6)

My mother is Catholic, Her mother is Catholic and her dad was Catholic up until he passed. My Dad's Dad is Protestant and his mom's Catholic. And he has two Protestant sisters. And then there's my wife and I who're probably the strongest believers out of the whole family. We're definitely the only Fundamentalists in the Family.

So yeah, he's surrounded and probably feels as isolated as I do. Maybe, he'll start changing his beliefs due to his isolation But, I don't know.

Amen. Don't know what to say past that :p. Thanks!

I'm sorry for your loss that must be so hard for you. They are in my prayers.

Thanks for the update and further explanations. I'm heartened to hear that there may be hope for your father even if it's just because he's so isolated in his beliefs right now. As long as someone's alive, there's always hope, even for the most determined atheist. Ultimately it is up to God. Even with my brother, who's a militant atheist, I overheard him talking to my mother once, asking her if there might be something after death.

There will always be that question, no matter what "evidence" the atheist will come up with because when you get right down to it, no one will ever know this side of the grave. Life is over so quickly, you have to ask yourself--is it that crazy of a thought to think that there is something after this? Why is it that absurd if no one really has an answer (outside of our faith in God's word) to what brought this world into being? We're in reality isolated by ourselves all our lives, and what I mean by that is that you'll never know someone else the way you know yourself, are inside your own mind; you'll never be in another person's mind. What makes anyone so sure of anything, really? To put everything you have into this life, when it's over so quickly, that might be the more absurd way of living perhaps.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Life can take any course.

Ecc 9:2 All things come alike to all: there is one event to the righteous and to the wicked; to the good and to the clean and to the unclean; to him that sacrificeth and to him that sacrificeth not; as is the good, so is the sinner; and he that sweareth, as he that feareth an oath.

It is generally true that a righteous persons life will be more blessed (Deu 28) than the sinner, due to the love, joy, peace, and wisdom, and blessing that God imparts. But there is no gaurentee that life will end more blessed, other than our glorious and final salvation. Paul said:

Php 4:11-13 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therein to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know also how to abound: in everything and in all things have I learned the secret both to be filled and to be hungry, both to abound and to be in want. I can do all things in him that strengtheneth me.

Our focus needs to be the good that God does in our lives, so when the hard times come we don't lose sight of who God is.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it just depends on how someones life goes. For me being a kid was easier because you don't have a ton of responsibilities like work, family, car, repairs, bills, doctors...etc. Of course the trade off is growing up around other kids who can be mean is not easy. But as an adult I think life can get harder. Especially as you get around 45-50 when your body starts falling apart more. Aches, pains, surgeries and what not.

Now as a christian, I think we grow overtime so maybe some things will get better in terms of our faith and all that. But one thing I was always told is even if your 100 you will never be perfectly mature as a christian. And the good thing is at least when your older you can celebrate and have even more joy because it means your closer to seeing God!

Upvote 0