NewSong

♪♫♫♪♫
Nov 8, 2004
✟47,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did vote no. While I was growing up I watched my dad's brother die an alcoholic death. It was lonely! It was painful! It was hard on family to watch. Then my sister-in-law became a closet drinker and had a liver transplant a few years ago as a result. She came very close to the grave. Thankfully God rescued her, my uncle and our family from the dreadful disease of alcoholism. My husband died as a result of alcoholism and complications from other addictions.

Do I believe it is okay to have a drink? Not for me it isn't. I used to drink. I partied and drank with the best of them to the pits of hell. I used to do things I never even want to remember under the influence because all inhibitions were gone and I was more daring in my judgments and choices. For me the day I stopped drinking (father's day, 1981) was the best day of my life. I didn't do it for religious purposes though I am sure GOD has been glorified in my about face and my former father-in-law turned his life around as a direct result and he reckoned with God finally. :) I will say that I know that God permits some but for me it is a down right sin in most cases to drink. There are always people looking on such as my youngest brother when I started and never in my wildest dreams did I believe I could influence anyone but it did. As sad as it is, I have a lot on my conscience and a lot that has gone that was a direct result of starting to drink socially. Would I if I drink if I were in a cultural situation where it would be more offensive not to? Yes I would have the table manners and become all things to all men that I might win some. Will God put me in a situation like that? Probably not because HE is the one who requires out of me not to drink and I honor that over above doctrine, health reasons, social reasons and any other reason. I have so many reasons not to drink alcoholic beverages but that doesn't make me better than those who do choose to have a drink now and then. Enough sermons from me. :)

Upvote 0

IowaPastor

Spirit-Filled United Methodist
Jul 12, 2008
Iowa
✟8,345.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I voted no.

I don't drink...and have never really been tempted to do so. Oh, I suppose I've been curious but not curious enough to try. Besides, the smell of beer makes me sick. As my mentor said, one time, "You'll never regret having a Sprite; many people have regretted not having a Sprite." (My mentor, before he became a pastor was a drug/alcohol depedancy counselor.)

Why I don't drink is my up bringing...my mom had no time for it and was VERY negative and hateful about it. This spirit and attitude extended to the church I grew up in too (not UMC--it was Free Methodist).

As a side note, I had a great (or great-great) uncle who was an alcoholic...so, I suppose it's best for me not to take any chances.

I do want to say that I don't judge people who drink. I know that just because a person drinks (whether occassionally or whether it's an addiction), they are still worthy of my love, respect, and time. Jesus came, suffered, bled, died, and rose again for them. I don't have to agree with the behavior though.

Be Blessed,

Upvote 0

Alex-C-L

Nov 22, 2008
✟15,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I drink both before and after becoming a christian. I think its better to abstain but that is easier said than done. Also in England its very hard to be a non drinking christian. Many of the churches [18/30s groups] have socials and life groups in pubs. I think in the U.S.A things maybe different but here its an integral part of christian culture as well.

Upvote 0

peacechild4

My ♥ is hidden in GOD~ want to find me ~ find GOD
Mar 4, 2005
Victoria Australia
Visit site
✟38,392.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I did vote no. While I was growing up I watched my dad's brother die an alcoholic death. It was lonely! It was painful! It was hard on family to watch. Then my sister-in-law became a closet drinker and had a liver transplant a few years ago as a result. She came very close to the grave. Thankfully God rescued her, my uncle and our family from the dreadful disease of alcoholism. My husband died as a result of alcoholism and complications from other addictions.

Do I believe it is okay to have a drink? Not for me it isn't. I used to drink. I partied and drank with the best of them to the pits of hell. I used to do things I never even want to remember under the influence because all inhibitions were gone and I was more daring in my judgments and choices. For me the day I stopped drinking (father's day, 1981) was the best day of my life. I didn't do it for religious purposes though I am sure GOD has been glorified in my about face and my former father-in-law turned his life around as a direct result and he reckoned with God finally. :) I will say that I know that God permits some but for me it is a down right sin in most cases to drink. There are always people looking on such as my youngest brother when I started and never in my wildest dreams did I believe I could influence anyone but it did. As sad as it is, I have a lot on my conscience and a lot that has gone that was a direct result of starting to drink socially. Would I if I drink if I were in a cultural situation where it would be more offensive not to? Yes I would have the table manners and become all things to all men that I might win some. Will God put me in a situation like that? Probably not because HE is the one who requires out of me not to drink and I honor that over above doctrine, health reasons, social reasons and any other reason. I have so many reasons not to drink alcoholic beverages but that doesn't make me better than those who do choose to have a drink now and then. Enough sermons from me. :)

Thank you for what you shared.. :) Praise God..

Upvote 0

ExtremeDays

May 30, 2005
✟8,345.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No way, no thanks.
1.Drinking not only effects the body but more importantly the mind and judgment. This is connected to ones soul and the ability to discern right, to make sound judgments and decisions.

Even the secular and godless would agree, that’s why the laws only allow .something alcohol level in ones blood. In my state it only takes 1 beer or a few ounces of wine to reach that level. This certainly says something, like it isn’t wise to drink. As a Christian Bible says I should have a sound mind and be wise, not act foolish like those that don’t know any better. I want to stay clear headed and able to discern rightly. I want to walk in wisdom.The Bible says not to tempt God. Sticking my finger in a light socket won’t send me to hell, but why should I do it?

2. Why should I drink (instead of just being reactionary- and thinking well why shouldn‘t I?), what’s the point? There are safer wiser ways to relax and have fun. I want to be intoxicated with God and His Kingdom. I still like to have a "good time", but I know now there are better ways.

3. I wouldn’t want to have a hand in influencing/encouraging those who have less self-control, to stumble and fall into sin.

4. Been there and done that. I don’t want to be like a dog going back to it’s vomit. I don’t think it’s cool/hip anymore. I know now alcohol doesn‘t enhance “fellowship“ with others.

5. My experience has been over 20 yrs., that those who recreationally drink alcohol aren’t very wise about other things in their lives as well. Usually these are the same people who have no problem swearing, are careless about what they watch and listen to etc… I’ve seen their manner of living and that’s not what I want (or believe the Bible wants me ) to emulate/imitate.

This is more like the real thing and not a counterfeit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDUQJZkuEo

Upvote 0
L

LaffyTaffy

We just had this discussion in Sunday School this past Sunday.

I don't drink - never have - because I don't like it, but as I listened to the people talk about how it is sinful to drink I became very angry because when they say all drinking is wrong - then they're calling Jesus a sinner. I spoke up at that point, but it was not received well at all.

There has to be a balance somewhere, but when it's cut off altogether, I fear there is a danger of becoming like the Pharisees - making all sorts of laws just to MAKE SURE we don't sin. I tend to be of the belief that Jesus was just as hard on that kind of attitude as He was on rebellion.

Upvote 0

RisingAbove

Rising Above Hell's Influence
Dec 3, 2008
Athens, WV
✟15,198.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
There has to be a balance somewhere, but when it's cut off altogether, I fear there is a danger of becoming like the Pharisees - making all sorts of laws just to MAKE SURE we don't sin. I tend to be of the belief that Jesus was just as hard on that kind of attitude as He was on rebellion.

I give you a holy-rollin' :amen: on that statement! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I enjoy a Guinness every now and then.

Saying I enjoy it means I savor every frothy sip. It's better than pie.

By every now and then I mean a 6-pack lasts about four months in my fridge.
The last bottle of wine I drunk took me about 12 weeks to consume.

I will have a couple of drinks every now and then, however thats about 1-2 every 2-5 months

My dad is an alcoholic, and not wanting to test the "alcoholism is genetic theory" I choose to be very careful with how much I drink

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Ah, yes, that is called "hyponatremia" a condition resulting when the plasma levels of Sodium [natrium] get too low, due to [and I kid you not] "chronic water intoxication" aka hyperhydration or water poisioning. It's often asymptomatic [until they keel over] and due to excessive amounts of water intake in a short time, resulting in hypersecretion of electrolytes without replenishing them.

I had a client that ended up in intensive care in an induced coma from drinking too much water

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I voted 'no'

Alcoholism runs in my family down the female side of my dad's family. Before I was saved I drank too much (our wonderful UK binge drinking culture). I have been capable in the past of drinking a whole bottle of red wine in one night and still be standing - not something to boast, about I hasten to add but more of a big neon warning sign for me to not go near the stuff now.

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
naaaa,of course we all see the same things as me after my wine with dinner.

CowDolphinjump.jpg

Reactions: Lotuspetal_uk
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why or why not

Let's not argue about it - just give your point of view.

No..
I have seen to many lives ruined to do it, endorse it, or enable others to do it by approving it.

Proverbs 20:1 KJV
(1) Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.